187 replies to this topic

#1 hefeweize

hefeweize

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 02:41 AM

Firstly, I would like to commend strike-team and all their efforts for keeping older CNC games alive. Without you guys, this community would have faded long ago and separated into many different types of smaller servers scattered everywhere. 

It's quite obvious that most Tiberian Sun players have merged to CNCNET.org. There is no denying this fact. I'm in no way advertising. This is given to the fact and by word of mouth most people are transferring due to the fact the CNCNET has spent a lot of time improving Tiberian Sun's core. Let's be honest. Strike-team favors Red Alert 2 and CNCNET Favors Red Alert 1.. So Tiberian Sun is in the middle somewhat. 

Obviously there is no perfect server. CNCNET lacks a few details such as ladders and clans. Strike-team has all these capabilities implemented as well as easy to install software packages. Personally i love how Multiplayer to be integrated into the game like strike-team. But the chat server is also cool.

Let's say somebody purchases CNC DECADE ( a program with all the CNC's unified in 1 disc). You install Tibieran sun and click "multiplayer". It brings you to STRIKE-TEAM's server... But wait, nobody is playing! All of the sudden the user quit's due to lack of players. 

I don't have to give a array of examples why I think a merger would be a good idea. But i'm sure you see the point. Strike-team has the upper hand with "directed traffic". CNCNET is mainly word of mouth.

I believe both Strike-Team and CNCNET merging together will bring our community together. One Unified Nation Of CNC gamers! We can combine strength's and make a unstoppable force. It would be kinda cool to chat with some of you Ra2 folks within one client.

Please share your thoughts. 

FunkyFr3sh and Olaf - Are you open to the idea?

Edited by hefeweize, 16 February 2015 - 02:57 AM.

#2 Niek

Niek

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12274 posts
  • XWIS Name: Niek

Posted 16 February 2015 - 03:34 AM

Who is FunkyFr3sh

#3 MrFrodo

MrFrodo

TITAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:37 AM

Funky is a Dev at Cncnet.org

Btw Hefwezie, Hifi from cncnet is the top brass there.

But this "union" is just a pipe dream, Cncnet is totally the anti-ST

#4 hefeweize

hefeweize

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 05:15 AM

Funky is a Dev at Cncnet.org

Btw Hefwezie, Hifi from cncnet is the top brass there.

But this "union" is just a pipe dream, Cncnet is totally the anti-ST

Thanks for the response MrFrodo. I haven't seen any indication of 'anti-st' as of yet. Perhaps this could be discussed as i think this will be the next great thing.

#5 OlafxD

OlafxD

Mr. Rank 1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8529 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 05:31 AM

i wished there was a worlds president and votings for it.

i'd vote atleast 1 billion times for olaf.

#6 game1

game1

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 06:00 AM

i wished there was a worlds president and votings for it.

i'd vote atleast 1 billion times for olaf.

You love Olaf? :D

#7 NSanityHD

NSanityHD

Quello che va in giro ritorna in giro.

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • XWIS Name: IonGenHD

Posted 16 February 2015 - 01:43 PM

I doubt this would happen, though I could be wrong. But still doubt it.

#8 hefeweize

hefeweize

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 05:34 AM

It's going to take some time to consider this. But when you split a community, it never ends well. Here is a response from HiFi from cncnet.

I've suggested this to Olaf but he didn't really respond in the end.

How I see it is that there is no winning for XWIS in such merger. They have their WOL tech and they are pretty stuck with it because it's what the games originally used. Killing WOL isn't really an option either because it's an important part of C&C history.

The only thing that could be done is rebrand both services under a single umbrella and WOL could be considered "legacy" while CnCNet 5's tech "current" for each game that is supported. CnCNet 5 is also a big hack however you look at it. It's not very pretty. Ideally CnCNet 5 would need to be unified into meaninful smaller projects and not scattered around like it currently is. However, even with the mess that it currently is it serves the player far better CnCNet 4 or XWIS ever did (minus ladder, but that's coming I suppose).

One fortunate recent event was that we merged with PlayCnC and got their talent under our hood. That has given us our new site and forum layout (all Neogrant) as well as other things that are currently under development. It really benefits us all to have all working together but the unfortunate state with XWIS isn't probably going to be solved ever.

Regardless, I'm always open for new contributions/developers/ideas. CnCNet has never turned down any help and people are free to work on anything they like and believe in. If something someone has worked on proves to be useful it will be released to the public. CnCNet 5 came out like this when FunkyFr3sh wrote the client after I made the initial game integration that lacked just that. After it was polished enough we released it as the official CnCNet 5 client and it has been a great success so far. Iran worked on the Tiberian Sun integration and it was released later as well as he is now working on the Red Alert 2 support which is in public testing.

#9 Psychic

Psychic

NRA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2735 posts
  • XWIS Name: PuNiSh3eR

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:12 AM

Let's merge GameRanger while were at it

#10 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • 13496 posts
  • XWIS Name: XTF

Posted 18 February 2015 - 08:17 AM

Why would anyone play on GR when something like CnCnet is available?

#11 Edd

Edd

I LoVe LiZa

• Bounty Hunters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4105 posts
  • XWIS Name: Edd

Posted 18 February 2015 - 08:48 AM

Are you thinking about merging with CnCnet?

#12 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • 13496 posts
  • XWIS Name: XTF

Posted 18 February 2015 - 09:07 AM

I have no idea what such a merger would look like.

#13 aCnChaOz

aCnChaOz

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 10:52 AM

I really Hope you guys will work together. This could be a really good thing for booth sides.

#14 GunChesta

GunChesta

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 06:32 PM

It would look alot better than what either clients look like now, im positive so many minds under the same project can only produce better than whats currently in place. Its worth a try id happily start playing again if TS was like it used to be.

#15 hefeweize

hefeweize

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 08:30 PM

Hey Olaf. I think he mentioned something about a "legacy". I believe it means you can use both clients. Either WOL or CNCNET/mirc. Gameranger is not so great. But it is one of the only places that hosts CNC GENERALS. But im sure if you guys were to combine forces. CNCnet dev's and XWIS. It will create a gaming community to be far more superior than any that ever existed. I would keep the same name.Strike-team with a CNCNET logo in it or something. haha.

In addition to the free service, we can also implement a subscription package if possible which enables users to purchase a yearly subscription at a low cost to implement extra features to their gaming experience. Or even advertisements of some sort.  Such as creating multiple nicks or whatever. Can have a solid revenue stream to fund this. Donations also work as well

Edited by hefeweize, 18 February 2015 - 08:38 PM.

#16 kaki100

kaki100

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 11:06 PM

what is cncnet? - Is the ra2 game different to the orginial WOL/XWIS - ra2?

#17 Enj0y

Enj0y

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • XWIS Name: Enj0y

Posted 19 February 2015 - 07:09 AM

In addition to the free service, we can also implement a subscription package if possible which enables users to purchase a yearly subscription at a low cost to implement extra features to their gaming experience. Or even advertisements of some sort.  Such as creating multiple nicks or whatever. Can have a solid revenue stream to fund this. Donations also work as well

I not to keen on yearly subscription so I can play with multiple nicks, when I can do that on xwis for free

Edited by jalary, 19 February 2015 - 07:10 AM.

#18 FunkyFr3sh

FunkyFr3sh

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:00 PM

what is cncnet? - Is the ra2 game different to the orginial WOL/XWIS - ra2?

CnCNet is using a different interface, we skip all the in-game menus and use our own custom made lobby to chat and choose the game settings, afterwards our lobby will launch you directly into a running game right to the waiting for connections screen.

So CnCNet works totally different than xwis does, a merger might be interesting and good for the games to keep them alive since we can all work together to improve things rather than working against each other.

The question is, how would this merger look like? It would be a bad idea to split the users and keep boths systems running. In the end the players have to decide if they like to stick to the WOL in-game lobby or moving to the CnCNet5 external lobby. I also don't know what olaf thinks about it, does he want to keep the players in the in-game lobby or would he be OK with moving the players to our new external lobby?

#19 game1

game1

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:44 PM

I thumps up for this idea, we need to unite all ra2 servers, than we will have a lot of activity and it will attract old schools to return :)

Edited by mzjpk, 19 February 2015 - 04:44 PM.

#20 ImNewButOld

ImNewButOld

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 09:53 PM

I thumps up for this idea, we need to unite all ra2 servers, than we will have a lot of activity and it will attract old schools to return :)

Yes thousands of players will play again and you can play ra2 for the rest of your life!!!!

Not gonna happen.

#21 Niek

Niek

Commander

• Members
  • 12274 posts
  • XWIS Name: Niek

Posted 19 February 2015 - 10:30 PM

A copy of the merge WOL and Xwis?

Yes thousands of players will play again and you can play ra2 for the rest of your life!!!!

Not gonna happen.

A bit more players would be nice

#22 Sean3z

Sean3z

Captain

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1740 posts
  • XWIS Name: sean3z

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:33 AM

A copy of the merge WOL and Xwis?

That wouldn't really make any sense :p

#23 hefeweize

hefeweize

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:43 AM

That wouldn't really make any sense :p

Tahj,

You're an excellent example why I think a merge can happen. You have talent. I also remember your history with TS before you came even close to being a member of Strike-team haha. You created some useful things. I must say.

=)

I invite Olaf/Admins of ST and CNCNET Admins to setup a private chat and talk this over. heh. can do a room in WOL or a CNCNET room.

If things click! Yay! If not, at least we tried.

OLAF, the ball is on your court.

You're one of the most difficult people to get a hold of or talk to! Getting near Olaf requires 3 security clearance checks and a formal invitation by the Security of Administrative affairs.

Edited by hefeweize, 20 February 2015 - 01:55 AM.

#24 Psychic

Psychic

NRA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2735 posts
  • XWIS Name: PuNiSh3eR

Posted 20 February 2015 - 04:12 AM

The main reason? It is the only server I have seen with any sort of activity for Yuri's Revenge. Cncnet has yet to implement Yuri's, but I am interested to see the activity that it brings. All that said, nothing compares to Ra2 activity on XWIS, but I've never been good at ra2 or really enjoyed it (those probably coincide with each-other) so....

I not to keen on yearly subscription so I can play with multiple nicks, when I can do that on xwis for free

From what I read in that paragraph he is referring to the option of paying for additional features.

CnCNet is using a different interface, we skip all the in-game menus and use our own custom made lobby to chat and choose the game settings, afterwards our lobby will launch you directly into a running game right to the waiting for connections screen.

What makes you different from GameRanger?

#25 PiNeRs

PiNeRs

2v2er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • XWIS Name: djaningar

Posted 20 February 2015 - 04:40 AM

Merging cncnet and xwis has my vote. And gameranger for good measure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users