59 replies to this topic

#1 Iran

Iran

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:17 AM

This fixes the game menu, low FPS and alt+tab. It also allows you to play windowed without changing to 16-bit colors.

Place this file in your game folder: https://www.dropbox.com/s/598uwf0diwwsthh/ddraw.dll?dl=0

It reimplements the game in OpenGL. 

Known bugs: Menus sometimes flicker.

Can someone test the performance of this fix? Does anyone get lag in-game?

Make sure you're running Win 8/8.1. This DLL seems to cause lag in-game with Windows 7.

Edited by Iran, 24 December 2014 - 09:05 AM.

#2 fir3w0rx

fir3w0rx

Xwis Was Initially Striketeam

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2159 posts
  • XWIS Name: fir3w0rx

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:14 PM

Iran's the man!

#3 CoLoKurT9

CoLoKurT9

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:50 PM

Have not tried it yet, Will probably tomorrow.

Anyways, if this works, this is awesome news. Thanks a bunch!

#4 aFFGonHeK

aFFGonHeK

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1791 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:44 PM

I just tried it for about thirty seconds. Did finally let me minimize game to the windows start menu screen (previously I could only see the app tile home screen but never the windows desktop home screen) which was refreshing.

However I checked into the lobby and it lagged something crazy. Now is a bad time but i'll try and load up a game and see how it is. My cursor was missing from the screen but I did'n't have a mouse plugged in so was using the touch screen.

Edit: okay I loaded ra2 with a mouse plugged in and still no cursor. I can still hear it when I click and if I manage to navigate blindly over a button it will click it and take me to the following screen. Made it to the matchmaking lobby but still without a cursor. Also if I click wildly (toward the edges of the screen) it takes me straight to desktop. I can't imagine why it does this as I have disabled 'hot corners'.

Also just thought i'd tell you a problem I experience with windows 8.. Whenever I finish a game and try to click continue from the stats screen it freezes. If I wait for a few minutes it will eventually return to lobby however if I repeatedly tap alt tab whilst clicking the continue button with the cursor I can get there in <10 seconds. Still really frustrating though. \

Hope this helps... Sorry it's a bit all over the shop, I am way way too tired.

Edited by aFFGonHeK, 23 December 2014 - 02:12 PM.

#5 Iran

Iran

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:30 PM

Are you sure your laptop supports the game? I haven't anyone complain about invisible cursor before. Are you running Windows 8 or 8.1?

#6 NSanityHD

NSanityHD

Quello che va in giro ritorna in giro.

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • XWIS Name: IonGenHD

Posted 23 December 2014 - 06:44 PM

I've just tried it and I can see that there are considerable amounts of lag with this file. Not only does it lag for me, but also when minimizing and returning to the game, the entire menu disappears. :/

Attached Files

#7 Iran

Iran

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:44 PM

And when playing a match?

Are you running Windows 8/8.1? Two Windows 7 testers have already stated there's lag under win7.

Edited by Iran, 23 December 2014 - 08:02 PM.

#8 Edd

Edd

I LoVe LiZa

• Bounty Hunters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4105 posts
  • XWIS Name: Edd

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:30 PM

I've just tried it and I can see that there are considerable amounts of lag with this file. Not only does it lag for me, but also when minimizing and returning to the game, the entire menu disappears. :/

This is interesting. I don't think this is a win 8 prob. This has also started to happen to me just recently and i'm running win 7. It had never happened to me before, ever.

#9 aFFGonHeK

aFFGonHeK

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1791 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 01:19 AM

I've played the game on this laptop for >6 months with the issues I specified.

invisible cursor occurred after installing your 'fix'.

Could you by any chance upload the original file so I can replace yours? I didn't duplicate it.

#10 CoLoKurT9

CoLoKurT9

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 06:47 AM

The Alt tab is fixed on my 8.1

Using the CD version by Sold Out

The Menu is still way wierd, especially inside someones game, the game speed, units, other option tabs are all mixed together.

Still a huge improvement just that I can alt tab. I will play ra2 more just because I can alt tab. Thank you much. If you want screens from me Iran let me know. I can give you specifics

#11 NSanityHD

NSanityHD

Quello che va in giro ritorna in giro.

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • XWIS Name: IonGenHD

Posted 24 December 2014 - 07:12 AM

I've played the game on this laptop for >6 months with the issues I specified.

invisible cursor occurred after installing your 'fix'.

Could you by any chance upload the original file so I can replace yours? I didn't duplicate it.

Which file are you wanting? Always backup before replacing files. ;) If it's the file Iran gave as a download link, then just delete it. The original installation does not include that file anyway. :)

This is interesting. I don't think this is a win 8 prob. This has also started to happen to me just recently and i'm running win 7. It had never happened to me before, ever.

Edd, just delete the file you put in your installation directory and the game "should" return to normal performance prior to you trying the fix.

Edited by IonGenHD, 24 December 2014 - 07:13 AM.

#12 Iran

Iran

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 09:04 AM

Yeah just remove the 'ddraw.dll' file in the game folder. The game's rendering system loads it if its there and the DLL modifies the game's rendering system, but the game doesn't require and it doesn't ship with its own ddraw.dll file.

IongenHD: are you running win 8/8.1?

CoLoKurT9: how is the performance when playing a match?

aFFGonHeK: Well that's quite odd that you are having those issues even without the fix and the invisible cursor with the fix. I'm running Intel Graphics on my laptop and using an AMD card from 2010 on my desktop and I'm not having any of those issues. We'll see if other people experience the same issue. I *hope* those issues are unrelated to your hardware and are software related somehow, but I'm definitely not sure.

Edited by Iran, 24 December 2014 - 09:09 AM.

#13 Edd

Edd

I LoVe LiZa

• Bounty Hunters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4105 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 09:04 AM

Which file are you wanting? Always backup before replacing files. ;) If it's the file Iran gave as a download link, then just delete it. The original installation does not include that file anyway. :)

Edd, just delete the file you put in your installation directory and the game "should" return to normal performance prior to you trying the fix.

I think you misunderstood. I have win7, I didn't install anything. I haven't messed with my directory since I installed the game about 3 years ago. The problem just started happening, randomly.

#14 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13496 posts
  • XWIS Name: XTF

Posted 24 December 2014 - 09:26 AM

Got a nVidia card?

http://xwis.net/forums/index.php/topic/181120-red-alert-2-lags-on-nvidia-hardware-with-recent-drivers/

#15 Iran

Iran

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:01 AM

Same thing happens with the TS engine with the latest nVidia drivers..some players of the Dawn of the Tiberium Age mod are experiencing the issues, rolling back your driver worked for them too.

Edited by Iran, 24 December 2014 - 10:03 AM.

#16 zzattack

zzattack

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5357 posts
  • XWIS Name: zzattack

Posted 24 December 2014 - 03:12 PM

is this hifi's or yours iran?

#17 Shauny

Shauny

EF Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8667 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 03:17 PM

I'm having same problem as gino too. Only recently. I have to alt tab after every game Bevause it won't let me pass the stats screen without doing so. Really weird ok win 7 and made no changes

#18 Iran

Iran

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 08:24 PM

is this hifi's or yours iran?

Hifi's with some small modifications.

#19 Edd

Edd

I LoVe LiZa

• Bounty Hunters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4105 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 08:58 PM

No, I don't. I have AMD Radeon.

I don't have any lag problems, it's just the lobby glitches when I alt tab. 

#20 CoLoKurT9

CoLoKurT9

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 09:43 AM

I am not getting lag either (also a Radeon) Windows 8.1 CD version 

#21 Iran

Iran

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 07:04 PM

So anyone with Win8/8.1 tried this fix and did it work without lag? Cause I have a Win 8.1 laptop with Intel integrated graphics and a win 8.1 desktop with an AMD card and the fix works fine.

Edited by Iran, 25 December 2014 - 07:05 PM.

#22 CoLoKurT9

CoLoKurT9

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 10:50 AM

no lag. Anything you can do about the menus though?

#23 CoLoKurT9

CoLoKurT9

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 11:51 AM

I just noticed a problem with this file you have made with my system. I lengthy session (around 45 minutes to an hour) there is a crash to a blank desktop nearly everytime.

#24 Iran

Iran

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 02:13 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Menu should be fixable but I'm working on some other stuff atm.

About the crash, does it happen when palying a match or just in the WOL lobby or what? Are you playing windowed or full screen.

Could you tell me if you're using an AMD, nVidia or Intel integrated card? In case you don't know it doesn't matter, it's just that I haven't had any feedback from nVidia people.

#25 CoLoKurT9

CoLoKurT9

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 05:30 PM

full screen and not during a game. Using an amd radeon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users