PATRIOT15

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • XWIS Name: PATR1OT

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:01 PM

Hi!

Dont know if such topic was in the past, so decided to open this one, to get some answers.

I used to play RA2 untill February 2013, but then left this game, and I wasnt here for a year. After a year breake I've installed the game, I still had RA2 installation exe file without Auto SS, and when I've entered the server, I was surprised. Its like population on the server reduced twice or evin more. Its wasnt surpriseing that game is dieing, but it never had such big temps of players reduceing.  One of the players told me, that the reason is that Auto SS is now necessary for playing online. I didnt get him, because I was playing without Auto SS and feeled fine. I have Windows 8, and game doesnt launch when Auto SS included. Without Auto SS it works fine, when u have these lirics in RA2.ini

VideoBackBuffer=no

AllowVRAMSidebar=no

So, when admins made necessary to install RA2 with SS, it was a big mistake, many players suffered from it not because they are cheaters, but because they were pushed to leave RA2, because its not possible to run RA2 on Win 8 with Auto SS. 

So I have sudgestion to get back old RA2 installation file without auto SS, or make Auto SS compatible with Win 8 if its possible.  Its really not a deal when so many players droped from the game against their will, while they didnt breake the rules of the server, but just had modern OS on their PC's

I know that there is another exit from this situation, players can make virtual machine on their PC's, but not many ppl will deal with that. 

#2 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:11 PM

The auto ss taker is required for eligibility to the HOF, not for playing on XWIS. Windows 8 is an ongoing problem, even for people that use a stock installation of the game. The real issue is that as fewer ppl are online, wait times increase and therefore more ppl move on. The problem of decreasing activity compounds upon itself. 

#3 PATRIOT15

PATRIOT15

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:23 PM

rumblesom

I'm temporary on another PC with Win 8 installed, and I cant find RA2 installer without auto SS, (also I cant install RA2 with auto ss because of the reason i wrote higher).   Not, tell me something new about activity decreasing  ;)

#4 dsector

dsector

Captain

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3696 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:36 PM

Buy the game then. Nobody made you install the version from XWIS.

Complain to EA Games for not making a 14 year old game compatible with new operating systems.

#5 Nuc1eoN

Nuc1eoN

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:03 PM

Auto SS killed RA2

Lol I thought Auto SS saved RA2...

#6 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:40 PM

What? 

The download for RA2 is a privilege....

Auto SS is a privilege....

#7 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:07 PM

Lol I thought Auto SS saved RA2...

It has it's positives.

+ A deterrent against cheaters
+ More maps to play on

And negatives.

- Maps are in official format, thus people who play for fun are unable to join players who insist on playing on the new maps, which means less games are available to players without the patch.

- The installer has a confusing installation method, that has deterred some users from getting it, while the maps updater has led to extra confusion about the functionality of the patch. Namely the black screen everyone complains about.

What else is reducing the game population is, bans for cheating/bug abusing in un-ranked matches. It does provide for a more cheat free environment, but it seems players still abuse the same cheats and end up getting banned. Instead of a stack towards permanent ban, the un-ranked bans should be considered as temporary suspensions with smaller durations than the ranked bans. The same could be suggested as a deterrent for people who are manic at disconnecting.

#8 xNathanx

xNathanx

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2803 posts
  • XWIS Name: RaganZin

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:36 AM

It has it's positives.

+ A deterrent against cheaters
+ More maps to play on

And negatives.

- Maps are in official format, thus people who play for fun are unable to join players who insist on playing on the new maps, which means less games are available to players without the patch.

- The installer has a confusing installation method, that has deterred some users from getting it, while the maps updater has led to extra confusion about the functionality of the patch. Namely the black screen everyone complains about.

What else is reducing the game population is, bans for cheating/bug abusing in un-ranked matches. It does provide for a more cheat free environment, but it seems players still abuse the same cheats and end up getting banned. Instead of a stack towards permanent ban, the un-ranked bans should be considered as temporary suspensions with smaller durations than the ranked bans. The same could be suggested as a deterrent for people who are manic at disconnecting.

I just never understand the leniency towards wrong doers on this game. Would the game really be more active if more cheaters were here? There have always been countless ffg cheat disputes in the fair play forum...was that "improving" online activity? 

Idk...I just don't believe having more wrong doers around would improve the activity on this game. People (At least me) want a fair server, and this is the only place i can find that. 

#9 AMadKirov

AMadKirov

Bad?Aim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1093 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:54 AM

The main reason why i made THIS  topic was that.

#10 Shauny

Shauny

EF Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8667 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:08 AM

I think it funny that Martin moans about bug abuse ect yet his the one that does the alting (bug abuse)

Edited by Shauny, 20 August 2014 - 11:09 AM.

#11 Mikoz

Mikoz

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7094 posts
  • XWIS Name: Palacio

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:14 PM

Martin always lamed and never did any competition in terms of rematches. His post bout his Latof game says enough.

Dont even communicate with or about this guy.

#12 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:36 PM

The thing with this game is that you can be a fair player for 3-6 months and don't use any bugs, play fair in QM, no engies, no eat, no alt, but when some one lames you and you lame them back, then all of a sudden everyone calls you a lamer...

This kind of attitude is what's detrimental to activity. Even Mikoz has tried to engi me when he lost 2-0 in QM, he'd engi rush my wf and sell mcv to rush me in the 3rd game. The hypocrisy amongst this game's players is very detrimental towards anyone trying to be a fair player. At the end of the day it comes down to wins.

#13 PATRIOT15

PATRIOT15

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:32 PM

Interesting discovery.

I found in internet RA2 version without Auto SS, and it didnt work fine on Win 8, but it was running fine on Windows 8.1  As for "Auto SS", its not compatible with Win 8.1, u can only see black screen on it.   Dont know how about TFD version of RA2, but I think its gonna work fine on Win 8.1 , untill some one decides to install Auto SS on it :p

Any ideas of making Auto SS compatible with Windows 8.1?

#14 Mikoz

Mikoz

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7094 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:33 PM

An walking engi from mcv, combined with your fodder and tanks, attacking in the same angle is something completely different then your engi ifv's.

Being a fair player who lames a lamer back is also something completely different than a stubborn lamer who doesnt do anything else.

Your right ita about the wins, thats also why you avoid fair competition.

So glad you wrote "hypocrisy" in your own post so i dont have to do it for you.

#15 PATRIOT15

PATRIOT15

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:52 PM

Hey guys, this topic is about compatibility, not about "How bad ur life is and how much time u spend on userless competition in the game, virgins :p

#16 Mikoz

Mikoz

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7094 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:30 PM

Because of reactions like yours this game dies.
Everyone knows its current state of activity but still ppl play. Why not make the best out of it? no one talks about game results anymore, Only thing i see these days are completely random topics and old players responding very negative when it comes down to activity.
Also on ra2 half the community only 2v2cms on eighty different zero pts clans, where are the real players??

#17 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:53 PM

More like 8 ppl play 2v2 and one series isn't enough. That's why we have multiple clans with no points.

#18 PATRIOT15

PATRIOT15

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:25 PM

Because of reactions like yours this game dies.

Is it was directed to me or what?  ;)   What's wrong with my reaction? Are u upset or something?  :laugh:

#19 PATRIOT15

PATRIOT15

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:34 PM

And also, is there any way to install new maps without auto SS? 

#20 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:44 PM

Yes there is, just copy xwis.mmx to your game folder. The problem with this is that your maps don't get updated.

#21 ImNewButOld

ImNewButOld

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:27 PM

Or just install olafs patch and copy the old .exe from your cd install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users