#1 PiNeRs

PiNeRs

2v2er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • XWIS Name: djaningar

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:04 PM

I had an interesting conversation with one of my mates and were around the same level but we play the game completely different. Was interested to see how others approach the keyboard and additional habits.

I play with pinky on the ctrl key and my thumb on spacebar. Also, I use my pointer finger and middle finger to cycle through teams 1 and 4.

But my mate uses his thumb to press the cntrl key. And holds his hand in more of an "arch" compared to my linear position.  Where do u guys fall in on this ?

As far as habits are concerned:

-I sit far away from the laptop and fully extend my arms and lean back in the chair whereas my mate sits close and has his elbows on his knees because his computer is elevated.

-I always cross/rest my right leg on my left knee

- I always listen to music (particularly trance)

Teaming units--

Ofc It always changes but I almost always have rocketeers team 1 and griz tanks team 3.  First plane team 2, 2nd plane team 4. I think I may be a bit strange here as most do tanks team 1. But lets see!

So how do u guys play??

#2 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:03 PM

rest left hand on left side of my keyboard with my thumb on alt/space, my ring finger on tab, and my pointer and middle finger on q and w. I use my thumb to hit control, and my middle/pointer for 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8, my right hand for 9 and 0. For attack/defend I leave my pointer and middle on 1 and 2 and thumb on space

Typical allied numbering starts out with dogs 1, 2, 3, 4 then tanks 1, and dogs 2, then ifv 3, then dogs + tanks 1, then rockies 2, planes 4 5 6 7 and change as game progresses. Rarely use tech units.

posture is completely leaned back, close to my desk (but my monitor is a couple feet away) with my keyboard close to the edge

**EDIT** either on skype or listening to music on pandora.... varies from anything from Devildriver to Johann Sebastian Bach

Edited by Seke, 09 August 2013 - 10:17 PM.

#3 Enj0y

Enj0y

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • XWIS Name: Enj0y

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:03 PM

I sit at desktop and computer chair has arm rest so arms rest on them, palms are on the edge of keyboard tray.

Ring finger always on Q

Middle finger on W 

Index on E

I use ring finger (team 1) , middle (team 2) and index to cycle through the rest of teams, as well as T-(All Units) F (Home base) and index to create teams F1 through to F6

Pinky finger is placed at side of keyboard so my hand dont move, thumb is on spacebar and also used for B V C Alt and Ctrl

Habits

Sit close to keyboard tray

Dont cross legs

If I listen to music its on low so I can hear game voice.

Oh and ring finger I use to select vet units which I set to (~)

#4 fir3w0rx

fir3w0rx

Xwis Was Initially Striketeam

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2159 posts
  • XWIS Name: fir3w0rx

Posted 10 August 2013 - 03:52 AM

I play with pinky on the ctrl key and my thumb on spacebar. Also, I use my pointer finger and middle finger to cycle through teams 1 and 4.

Pinky to press ctrl + number? That's so hard! You must have your keyboard on an angle I'm guessing?

I use my thumb for the ctrl keys (team 6-0 I use the right ctrl key, still with my thumb). My index finger is on the 'f' key 90% of the time (the one with the bump on it so I don't have to look).

#5 Drasten

Drasten

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:48 PM

I sit fairly close to my keyboard, and my screen. My keyboard is angled. (left side down)

My mouse is like 5inches or so closer to my screen then my keyboard.

I always sit on my legs when i play and listen to music.

thumb is on spacebar (also use it for ctrl)

other fingers are on wasd and pinkie is outside the keyboard or on shift.

i always group my dogs 1 number per dog for scout. As far as tanks go i have dogs and tanks and 1, rockies as 2 and ifv;s as 3. If i use planes i number them induvidually 4 and up.

Edited by Drasten, 10 August 2013 - 12:50 PM.

#6 DrVanNostrand

DrVanNostrand

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5114 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:34 PM

i usually sit on my right foot, my keyboard is angeled left side up most of the time.

I start the game with pressing n + d several times : D

then i move my hand to the left side for QWER

About the time i get dogs out i move my hand to the arrows, because for me the arrows are most important in the keyboard, i have my fingers on the arrows to perfect the movement so i will be always where i want to be. 
But i still use Q always when building is about to be ready etc..

of course, when i get tanks out i start pressing ctrl + 1 with my pinky on ctrl and index on number 1 quite often so all my tanks are on that hotkey

Also i keep taking every tank under control from one of the keys on bottom of the screen in game like every 5 seconds, unless im splitting.

Oh also, music is very important !

I don't number dogs or splits usually, because i get there very fast, because of the arrows!!! 
arrrrrrrrows > all

#7 fir3w0rx

fir3w0rx

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2159 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:23 PM

Arrows??? (the f*%k, this guy for real or what???) :D

You're either messing with us or that's some weird secret pro technique that took you to the top, which I cannot for the life of me figure out.

#8 DrVanNostrand

DrVanNostrand

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5114 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:55 PM

im not messing nor is it some kind of secret : D arrows are just the best :)

#9 Drasten

Drasten

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 03:25 PM

Lol arrows? i always hold right mouse-button down when i schroll. (well 90% of the time)

I got my keyboard angled right side up btw;p

#10 DrVanNostrand

DrVanNostrand

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5114 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 03:28 PM

obviously, i use right mouse button when i scroll about 99% of the time :p

i just use arrows same time as right click scroll

Edited by DrVanNostrand, 10 August 2013 - 04:05 PM.

#11 Crisis

Crisis

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9461 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 04:01 PM

Typically keep my left index finger on Q, will usually spam N-D at the start of every game.

Numbering usually starts out as planes 1 and 2, but then usually will make tanks 1 and then dogs and other fodder 2 later in the game and planes will be relocated to 3-4, etc.

I normally play on a desktop and typically will lean forward, fairly close to the monitor, I rarely use the back of my chair while playing.

I used to play with a lot of music, but my music tastes used to be a lot more fast paced rock so it suited the game, now it's very mild acoustic music most of the time so I'd rather just play without it. 

#12 PiNeRs

PiNeRs

2v2er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:21 PM

obviously, i use right mouse button when i scroll about 99% of the time :p

i just use arrows same time as right click scroll

is this necessary ? u can just max out the scroll speed of right click instead ? How does using the arrows actually help you? Im with fireworks on this, no way ur being serious.

Pinky to press ctrl + number? That's so hard! You must have your keyboard on an angle I'm guessing?

I use my thumb for the ctrl keys (team 6-0 I use the right ctrl key, still with my thumb). My index finger is on the 'f' key 90% of the time (the one with the bump on it so I don't have to look).

Yes. :matrix: The pinky and the thumb for cntrl seem to be the two main ways to play/main differences amongst players. Maybe do a poll: pinky or thumb? 

#13 DrVanNostrand

DrVanNostrand

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5114 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:59 PM

well, arrows just make the scrolling way easier, i cant think of anything else to do with keyboard, and im used to this so i will keep doing it :D

#14 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:59 PM

Lots of people use ctrl + arrow to move to the corners of the map. I use arrows sometimes, but not often

#15 PiNeRs

PiNeRs

2v2er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:02 PM

This is why I started this topic. I have never used the arrow once. Very interesting to me

#16 Enj0y

Enj0y

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • XWIS Name: Enj0y

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:18 PM

I'll have to try the arrows, that's a new one to me

#17 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:01 AM

to be more specific, ctrl + arrow up + arrow left brings you INSTANTLY to top left, same goes for any other combination (except ones that counteract, such as left and right or up and down)

#18 BlueBala

BlueBala

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12219 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:36 AM

This is why I started this topic. I have never used the arrow once. Very interesting to me

same. We have the same playing style surprisingly, heh. You are and always have been more skilled though.

#19 fir3w0rx

fir3w0rx

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2159 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:24 AM

well, arrows just make the scrolling way easier, i cant think of anything else to do with keyboard, and im used to this so i will keep doing it :D

Since you have to move your fingers away from the numbers, qwer, s and so on, wouldn't this force you to take your eyes off the screen each time you go back to the left side of the keyboard?

#20 ExpaNd

ExpaNd

RanDoMiZer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3828 posts
  • XWIS Name: ExpaNd

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:57 AM

Since you have to move your fingers away from the numbers, qwer, s and so on, wouldn't this force you to take your eyes off the screen each time you go back to the left side of the keyboard?

Pr0s pretty much know the keyboard blindfolded!

#21 AlliedPlayer

AlliedPlayer

Allied BOSS

• Donators
  • 15264 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:24 AM

I discussed this briefly with chris the other day, and, although I have 'habits' whilst playing, my hands are sort of programmed to do what they're meant to without me thinkin about it but here goes....

N,d lots at begin lol whilst placin mouse on pp and left index goes to q for when its built. When its close to built my mouse is click where I wana place whilst hittin q and ma mouse automatically goes to bax etc 3 dogs and wen each comes out I label team 123 and hold z for zigzag waypoint on whole map whilst making ref...usually wen I'm about done playing with waypoints my refs redy so my index bak on q hittin down mouse near ore/gems. And bak to buyin wf .... And so on and so forth.

With ma tanks I label griz and dogs team 1 to mingle fodder with them, rokis 2, ifvs 3...unless splittin then I'll label them 123 my planes are always 4567 and chronos 09 (from wen I played with crates this was always easiest to remember)

If I tech my teams go like this....
Griz n dogs 1 mirage 2 prisms 3 rokis 4 chronos 0 and 9 .... If I ever mess this up then I usually fail badly n its funny to watch cos of my hands auto knowing what units are usually labelled them numbers
Oh and I forgot, I usually play with a cuppa tea just above top left of my keyboard so I can hava sip throughout the games and usually whilst wf building or 2nd ref cos iv scouted also will have electro house or some chase n status on in my headphones whilst I dance sing n play :)

#22 DrVanNostrand

DrVanNostrand

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5114 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:41 AM

nope

#23 SoVsOrDiE

SoVsOrDiE

Music is my religion!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3666 posts
  • XWIS Name: SoVsOrDiE

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:11 AM

Haha I used to use arrows years ago. They're really not a benefit imo. Just means you can scroll about 50% faster than the fastest you can scroll whilst right clicking.

Mouse in left hand and keyboard angled to to the right (for better access to QWER and the numbers with my right hand). Used to be a big fan of coordinates (me and w0nna seemed to be the only ones!) and had a little pad with the coordinates written down for techs and key areas on lots of maps.

#24 AlliedPlayer

AlliedPlayer

Allied BOSS

• Donators
  • 15264 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:22 AM

Not a clue that u cud use co-ordinates but I wudnt wanna do that I can click on mini map easy enuf :) lol

#25 SoVsOrDiE

SoVsOrDiE

Music is my religion!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3666 posts
  • XWIS Name: SoVsOrDiE

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:37 AM

Yeah that's true, was just good for early game..anti scouting and finding tech's asap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users