Photo

Windows 8 - Trial and error topic - post your bugs.

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#76 makiaveli

makiaveli

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:48 PM

DLed the install file that Olaf had posted, along with the update. Tried opening it, and it comes up with "TXT_PREPARECOM_FAILED". Tried running as admin, compatibility win xp sp3, both at the same time, various other compatibilities, still no dice. Uninstalled, reinstalled just the ra2 download, same problem. Uninstalled, reinstalled with ra2 and the patch, same problem. Can anyone help?

#77 Crisis

Crisis

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9461 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:34 PM

I just tried using a virtual machine, it works after some tweaking but it's way too laggy to play, and my computer is very good so I'm assuming this just isn't doable without Windows 7 installed.
Setup:
msi z87-gd65
i7 4770k
16GB 1600 MHz Ram
AMD Radeon HD 7950

#78 Crisis

Crisis

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9461 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:11 AM

Snagged this from the Tiberian Sun section and updated for Yuris (haven't tried ra2 yet, but it seems to be working):
1. Copy the directory Red Alert 2 (Typically found in C:\Program Files (x86)) to somewhere outside of Program Files
2. Download the graphics patch from http://www.stuffhost.de/files/cnc/ and extract it into the directory that you just moved
3. Rename Yuri's Revenge to gamemd.exe, then run the patch to patch the game (likewise for ra2, rename to game.exe)
4. Download http://bitpatch.com/ddwrapper.html zip file and extract the files to the directory that you've patched the game in
5. Edit 
aqrit.cfg in notepad and change these two settings to 1 as in below: 

NoVideoMemory = 1

forcedirectdrawemulation = 1
6. Create a shortcut to the game and move it to your desktop
7. Go to properties and in 'Target' add at the end after " add -win
example Target: "C:\Users\Roberto\Desktop\Red Alert 2\gamemd.exe" -win
note the space between gamemd.exe" and -win
8. In the same Properties Tab:

Compatibility : Win Xp Service pack 2 (Seems to be most stable)

Reduced colour mode : 16bit

Run as Administrator
9. (Optional) Edit .ini file to change the resolution
10. Play the game

Notes: I've noticed that once you've open it, you can't alt-tab out, it just seems to break Windows.
The screen will be very small until a game begins, around it will be black that will flicker back to your desktop when you move over it, do not click into that black or it'll break Windows
To exit the game, exit through the menu, not through Ctrl-Alt-Del
It seems to be working, but I haven't had the chance to play online, also after you patch the game I'm assuming you can name it back to Red Alert 2 or Yuri's Revenge

#79 SpecialDe

SpecialDe

High

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • XWIS Name: EDan

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:06 PM

In res got a new laptop windows 8 says "error - unable to set up video mode"

Help for quick cash

#80 CoLoKurT9

CoLoKurT9

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:01 AM

In res got a new laptop windows 8 says "error - unable to set up video mode"

Help for quick cash

Same issue with the xwis version. It won't even boot without that message. Crisis please help me out.

I have a hard copy. It runs fine accept it wont let me change my resolution

Edited by CoLoKurT9, 12 September 2013 - 07:02 AM.

#81 Mrrubik

Mrrubik

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:56 PM

GUYS my game runs but i have no menu or buttons  is there a fix for this plz let me know 

#82 CoLoKurT9

CoLoKurT9

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:26 AM

Thanks to Daric for showing me this reso patch

http://www.cncgames.com/modseditors02.shtml it is different than 2 other patches I have tried... Names Q-match reso changer

I have a CD rom copy by soldout software

http://www.amazon.com/Command-Conquer-Red-Alert-2-pc/dp/B0009J1JIY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1379996312&sr=8-2&keywords=red+alert+2

10 bucks

This is how I got mine to work on windows 8 with a hard copy disk

1. Get Ra2 installed it can be glitchy but once you get it all installed it works 100 percent fine. JUST DONT ALT TAB ( I had to pop out some keys in my keyboard cuz I kept hitting the windows key and alt key with my right palm)

2. Install that Reso patch. It will say it installed but it hasn't completely.

3. Go into the directory Westwood> Ra2> RA2 (the configuration settings known as the ini file) The icon looks like a piece of paper with a gear over it

4. Find the ScreenHidth and ScreenWidth this is the resolution. Change and save.

my TV reso was 1280-720

I have stretch movies set to: no

Daric said you can't play on the new maps or use auto ss. I have not tested it yet, but I have a full screen I can play on without lag or any other issues besides alting out and the lobby is off center.

Hope this helps

Edited by CoLoKurT9, 24 September 2013 - 04:27 AM.

#83 dsector

dsector

Captain

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3696 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:11 AM

Did anyone try installing DirectX to see if that helps with running ra2? http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

From what I know, Win 8 only comes with Dx11.

#84 Rocker219

Rocker219

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:00 AM

just tried it :( no success

#85 Mrrubik

Mrrubik

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:55 AM

Dude  deric just download windows 7 thats What im going to do i bought windows 7 ultimate waiting for it to get in and i will get rid of windows 8 

#86 Rocker219

Rocker219

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:15 AM

Dude  deric just download windows 7 thats What im going to do i bought windows 7 ultimate waiting for it to get in and i will get rid of windows 8 

I tried but I couldn't get it to work. + I like windows 8. But I have a laptop and I got it working on my laptop but Its not very comfortable to play on that so ill be qming under adele123 when I can.

#87 scurryn

scurryn

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:07 PM

HI -- I just joined this community -- looks great.

I tried installing my RA2 disks to run solo campaings on Windows 8 -- it hangs a few minutes into the 2nd (Colorado Springs) Allied campaign.

Have to avoid ALT-Tab -- although I have figured out how to use task manager via keyboard to quit out.

I am running 1.006 -- is there a more updated version I should try?

Thanks for any suggestions.

RA2 = Best Game Ever!

#88 Crisis

Crisis

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9461 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:21 PM

Ended up switching back to Windows 7. To those of you with 8, I recommend waiting to upgrade to 8.1, the driver support is very bad right now, I could only boot into safe mode because drivers for both Intel integrated graphics and my graphics card both weren't working properly after the update.

#89 zHambone

zHambone

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:17 PM

I recently upgraded to Win 8.1. As of yesterday my Renegade install has the screwed up colors display problem. I have the original cd single release version. What is odd is that my 2 sons pc's both play renegade with no problems on win 8.1 so far. I have tried the properties/compatibily fix, and shutting down exploer.exe, and also opening the displays control panel prior to running renegade. I have an nvidia graphics card and DirectX 11.

I'm going to try an uninstall, reg clean and reinstall. I hope it works.

#90 SoVi3tW4R

SoVi3tW4R

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • XWIS Name: SoVi3tWaR

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:35 PM

any one got any soulutions yet my problems r when i windows out it dont refresh. Also when i join a game it doesnt display right

#91 jonno2002

jonno2002

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:35 PM

If you have no menu you need to extract TS_Win8fix.zip to C:\Program Files (x86)\Tiberian Sun

this works perfect, i played around with every single fix on the net and this seems to be the best, its not tiberian sun specific it works for yuris revenge too, unknown if it uses software or hardware rendering but it works and doesnt slowdown/lag. uses wine directx libraries or somthing.

#92 Babak

Babak

Commander

• Bounty Hunters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13030 posts
  • XWIS Name: Babak

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:59 PM

this works perfect, i played around with every single fix on the net and this seems to be the best, its not tiberian sun specific it works for yuris revenge too, unknown if it uses software or hardware rendering but it works and doesnt slowdown/lag. uses wine directx libraries or somthing.

Holy crap, this fixes the 'no menu' problem on the XWIS version of YR!!!

Things looks messy when you join a custom match but can play QM at least!

EDIT: I have windows 8.1

Edited by Babak, 19 November 2013 - 12:59 PM.

#93 appledrop

appledrop

cncftw buster

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:24 AM

Alt+Tab out of RA2/YR and then trying to get back in will fail with the game screen staying black.

Compatibility mode did not work.

Tiberian Sun/Firestorm menu doesn't work. It either completely disappears or stops doing anything when you choose a menu option.

Pressing Alt+Tab then moving back into the game allows you to navigate back to the main menu.

Compatibility mode did not work, neither did the -win parameter.

This is exactly my problem. When a download or an automatic update kicks in the screen for RA2 will also go blackand willnot return.

#94 ImNewButOld

ImNewButOld

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:45 PM

Anyone tried Virtualbox? https://www.virtualbox.org/

#95 Crisis

Crisis

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9461 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:45 AM

It's too slow, I wouldn't bother with it. (I've got a very good computer, and even with dedicating most of my resources to the virtual machine it still wasn't good enough) Maybe if you pay for one of the premium versions it may be better but I wouldn't count on it. I tried something like two or 3 virtual machines and none of them really measured up in terms of speed, if you're just playing single player it might be okay but otherwise I wouldn't use it.

Edited by Crisis, 30 November 2013 - 06:46 AM.

#96 JACrazy

JACrazy

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:33 AM

If you have no menu you need to extract TS_Win8fix.zip to C:\Program Files (x86)\Tiberian Sun

Like others said above, this solved the problem for me on YR, I dont even need to run on compatibility mode. Running windows 8.1.

Edited by JACrazy, 02 December 2013 - 09:34 AM.

#97 cncpossessed

cncpossessed

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:06 PM

TXT_etc. error still persisting with 8.1.

#98 Mrrubik

Mrrubik

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:36 AM

Okay so I am a little hype right now because I got Ra2 working on my windows 8 so let me explain to you guys what i did.  I have my old windows 7  so i downloaded ra2 on it  then I downloaded ra2 on my Windows 8  i deleted all the files on the ra2 directory on my windows 8 then  i put all the files on my windows 7 ra2 directory into a flash drive then i transfer them to my windows 8 put it in the ra2 directory and BOOM I have no more black menu and ra2 is running smoothly . I hope this help you guys 

#99 Rocker219

Rocker219

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:56 AM

details!!!

explain in detail plz

#100 Mrrubik

Mrrubik

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:16 AM

I have windows 7  on my windows 7 computer  i have ra2 installed . I took all the files in the game directory and put them in a flash drive. I installed ra2 on my windows 8 when into the game directory deleted all the files in it and  put in all the files that i got from my windows 7 game directory and just dragged them into my windows 8 . It was just a simple transfer of files . If you have a computer with windows 7 install ra2 and just take all the files in the directory  put them in a flash drive then install ra2 on your windows 8  delete all the files that download and just put the ones in from the windows 7  do you get what I'm saying   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users