#1 Good2BBak

Good2BBak

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 06:03 PM

Hi,

My friends PC will not run Yuri's Revenge for some reason.

Its more than enough spec to run;

XP3700+
2GB RAM
DFI LANPARTY Motherboard
Wireless USB dongle & router.

We have tried using onboard network, it used to reboot after every game, so turned off the onboard network and bought a wireless USB key thing.

Completely fresh install of RA2/YR, when you load the game, it says

"update required'

So press ok, it downloads the 1.01 patch for YR, all ok, restart etc.

BUT

When you load the game up, if you press

QUICK MATCH
or
CUSTOM MATCH

The game just hangs, without doing anything, you can still hear the music and move the cursor, but nothing happens, it doesnt connect to any lobby or anything at all, and you have to CTRL ALT DEL out of the game to exit it.

Skirmish works fine.

Any ideas what he can do?

I've tried turning his firewall off but still nothing.

Did not get any timeouts when doing the tracert & ping things.

#2 Good2BBak

Good2BBak

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:56 AM

Any ideas folks?

#3 UNkeeper

UNkeeper

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 11:28 AM

This could be a couple of things. Is there any chance that your friends computer is actually a "work" computer, i.e. belongs to a third party? If so Group policy could be preventing it from running properly. You may also want to take a look at security settings for "my computer" you can do this by going HERE and following the instructions. It could also be a shell extention issue. Is your friend having any other trouble using applications? If so, try This:

1. Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrative credentials.

2. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.

3. Locate and then right-click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Cached

4. Point to New, and then click DWORD Value.

5. For Microsoft Windows XP-based or Microsoft Windows Server 2003-based computers, type the following:

{A4DF5659-0801-4A60-9607-1C48695EFDA9} {000214E6-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} 0x401

6. Right-click the value that you just created, and then set the Value data to 1.

7. Exit Registry Editor.

8. Reboot the computer.

Edit the registry at your own risk, and back it up first. XP SP2 and it's related patches have made it extremely hard for people with a little computer know-how to get anything done.

BTW check for worms on the machine as well. SP2 only allows a small number of concurrent connections. If something is hogging them up, you wont be able to make new ones. I could tell you how to increase that limit, but frankly, it's not a good idea. If the person has a worm, remove it, and that should take care of this problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users