21 replies to this topic

#1 Lovehandles

Lovehandles

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:44 PM

We're hosting a Tiberian Sun tournament at 18:30 GMT/14:30 EST on the 4th of May, so I figured I'd drop by here and see if any of you lads and ladettes would be interested in participating. It's a single elimination tournament we've been doing for a few months for Red Alert, but after deciding to go on a three week break, we've chosen to feature Command & Conquer/Tiberian Dawn and Tiberian Sun as well. The previous tournaments have been relatively casual, as we've always accepted uneven amounts of players that resulted in randomly distributed byes. Assuming the majority of the participants and the tournament owner are interested in reverting to proper player counts, that can be arranged. Tournament prizes, most likely in the form of an Amazon gift card, are a future possibility; although not necessarily for the upcoming Tiberian Sun tournament. You can register, read the rules and stay up to date with tournament news and changes on the tournament's challonge page here; you can download a version of Tiberian Sun that comes with CnCNet 5 here. The featured map has yet to be decided, but it will have been within this Sunday. We'll most likely settle for Terrace or Forest Fires, seeing as those are allegedly popular maps, and I have yet to see any good, symmetrical maps that aren't mods. As is stated on the tournament page itself, all sorts of rule, settings and map suggestions are welcome!

#2 Casablanca

Casablanca

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • XWIS Name: fgj

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:51 PM

May I suggest, potentially in the future, having 2 separate tournaments, one for the existing ts players (the better players who have been here for years) and the newer ones...the newbs from xwis and cncnet

since, as of right now, there are maybe 4 players that will always take the top spots...

or if you match a pro vs a newb have maybe a best of 5 series, and giving the newb a 2-0 lead lol

Edited by Casablanca, 24 April 2014 - 01:49 PM.

#3 F0odLi0n

F0odLi0n

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:04 PM

I Am Totally In For This
Is It Best Two Out Of Three? 3 Of 5 Or Just One Game?

#4 fir3w0rx

fir3w0rx

Xwis Was Initially Striketeam

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2158 posts
  • XWIS Name: fir3w0rx

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:31 PM

May I suggest, potentially in the future, having 2 separate tournaments, one for the existing ts players (the better players who have been here for years) and the newer ones...the newbs from xwis and cncnet

since, as of right now, there are maybe 4 players that will always take the top spots...

or if you match a pro vs a newb have maybe a best of 5 series, and giving the newb a 2-0 lead lol

It would be good if the newbs could be separated from the pros, but how? How would you prevent a pro sneaking into the newb tournament for easy wins?

#5 Lovehandles

Lovehandles

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:08 PM

It's a novel idea, but considering the fact that being decent at whatever game you've signed up for is one of the tournament rules, we might be better off simply reinforcing said rule and perhaps neglecting inexperienced/new players for the time being. Suppose some form of handicap for the good players might work; if not, it could at the very least make for some interesting games I guess lol

I Am Totally In For This
Is It Best Two Out Of Three? 3 Of 5 Or Just One Game?

The semi-finals and final are best of five, everything else is best of three :-)

Edit:

By the way, what's the general opinion on alt'ing? It's currently allowed in the tournament, unless both players agree to disallow it.

Edited by Lovehandles, 24 April 2014 - 06:13 PM.

#6 jeffbeck

jeffbeck

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:19 PM

I'll sign up as I have the week off starting the 1st. 

#7 F0odLi0n

F0odLi0n

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:29 PM

I Don't Like Alt'ing But Will PLay Regardless

#8 Casablanca

Casablanca

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:26 PM

alting is fine...but considered cheap

thats all...

dunno when it turned into being a "cheat", or treated like one...back in the day every top player did it lol

#9 Mole40k

Mole40k

Seal

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • XWIS Name: Mole40k

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:41 PM

Agree with Wuss in both his posts. The issue with tourneys (and the thing that puts many newer players off) is the major skill discrepancy. And I'm not even talking the comparison between the very top and the bottom. Anyone who has even moderate (competitive online) ww experience is at a significant advantage over a typical casual player.

As for the alt thing yeah... it was always allowed, just cheap. When xwis came along a lot got lost in translation and certain rules got applied under the assumption that things work the same in both games. I'm still reeling from the abuse I got for setting the record straight tbh, and I am shocked that no one said anything sooner!

#10 Punkernfg

Punkernfg

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:17 PM

We shouldnt eliminate below par players from the tournament at all. This will give them an incentive to improve. When you have a poker tournament, do you eliminate the crappy players and only have the pros? Of course not, all welcome. This will help with making ts more active in the future. As for alting, I don't agree with it, I believe it is a glitch which can be used to cheat. If alting an orca to scout is ok, then is alting a banshee over a caryall ok as well? I can think of a few glitches that are on the edge of cheap/cheat. All in all, very excited for the tournament, should bring some great activity to tiberian sun which has been growing on cncnet over the last few months.

#11 MrFrodo

MrFrodo

TITAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:23 PM

We shouldnt eliminate below par players from the tournament at all. This will give them an incentive to improve. When you have a poker tournament, do you eliminate the crappy players and only have the pros? Of course not, all welcome. This will help with making ts more active in the future. As for alting, I don't agree with it, I believe it is a glitch which can be used to cheat. If alting an orca to scout is ok, then is alting a banshee over a caryall ok as well? I can think of a few glitches that are on the edge of cheap/cheat. All in all, very excited for the tournament, should bring some great activity to tiberian sun which has been growing on cncnet over the last few months.

^^ Agreed.

Agree with Wuss in both his posts. The issue with tourneys (and the thing that puts many newer players off) is the major skill discrepancy. And I'm not even talking the comparison between the very top and the bottom. Anyone who has even moderate (competitive online) ww experience is at a significant advantage over a typical casual player.

As for the alt thing yeah... it was always allowed, just cheap. When xwis came along a lot got lost in translation and certain rules got applied under the assumption that things work the same in both games. I'm still reeling from the abuse I got for setting the record straight tbh, and I am shocked that no one said anything sooner!

^^ These two: typical example of very self-centered, egoistic ts community(majority) on XWIS. 

#12 stOwned

stOwned

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:27 AM

good idea guys...im in and lazy!! so whoevers in charge sign me up. I will donate my time to display the majority of my priceless talent. and jeffbeck I didn't know mcdonalds gives vacation time off

#13 MrFrodo

MrFrodo

TITAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:30 AM

and jeffbeck I didn't know mcdonalds gives vacation time off

ROFL good one

#14 GunChesta

GunChesta

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:18 AM

I came online for a bit on that new server and got banned from a game because some moron called tsplayer was saying i was faking i have no idea who this clown is but yeah, kinda annoying. i logged in as my usual log... powrbombu...

#15 GunChesta

GunChesta

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:50 AM

Ill play neway sign up powrbombu

#16 MrFrodo

MrFrodo

TITAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:14 AM

Ill play neway sign up powrbombu

I think you have to signup yourself at challonge.com

#17 Mole40k

Mole40k

Seal

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • XWIS Name: Mole40k

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:17 AM

Frodo may I respectfully suggest you read what both myself and Wuss said carefully and apply some rational thought to the situation. I take great offense that you would claim I am being egocentric and self-centred in my comments - the complete opposite in fact. We are not saying "don't let newbs play", not in the slightest.

If you have a typical cncnet player face, say, Corps (just as an example), they will simply get humiliated. This is not good either the new player, the pro nor the community at large. I would also add, why would anyone want to compete if either they are going to get whitewashed, or if the standard is so low its not worth their time.

I would kindly ask that you put your prejudices aside and think about this rationally. I also do not appreciate being called egocentric and self-centred. You wouldn't begin the believe the work I have put into this community over the years, all so people like you can make rude comments about me on forums.

#18 Orochi

Orochi

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:19 PM

i agree with mole to an extent. however, i signed up anyway.

#19 Casablanca

Casablanca

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:11 PM

you cannot compare playing a video game where skill  heavily influences the outcome of the game

to a game like poker..where you can be dumb as a brick and still get shit lucky...sure these people wont do well in the long run...

but sure, have the newbs play in the tourny...i just think its a waste of time lol

or, like i suggested, have another tourny specifically for newbs...

but either way i dont expect to lose until i play corps or ollie lol

#20 F0odLi0n

F0odLi0n

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:54 AM

I Was Looking Forward To Playing Punk... Now I'm Matched Vs Corps

#21 Tahj

Tahj

Captain

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1736 posts
  • XWIS Name: Tahj

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:36 AM

May the 4th be with you all (Sorry, I couldn't resist)

Very cool. Hopefully someone will consider recording a few of these matches.

My money is on c0rps FTW :p

#22 Lovehandles

Lovehandles

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:47 AM

I Was Looking Forward To Playing Punk... Now I'm Matched Vs Corps

The current matchups aren't final, since the player seeds will be shuffled once after registration closes.

May the 4th be with you all (Sorry, I couldn't resist)

Very cool. Hopefully someone will consider recording a few of these matches.

My money is on c0rps FTW :p

I'll most likely be streaming and recording what games I can, hopefully alongside another regular Red Alert streamer of ours!

Edited by Lovehandles, 26 April 2014 - 06:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users