#26 Edd

Edd

I LoVe LiZa

• Bounty Hunters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4099 posts
  • XWIS Name: Edd

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:04 PM

Can you still connect to others with your old PC?

Yes.  Works perfectly fine.

#27 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13446 posts
  • XWIS Name: XTF

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:46 AM

Weird. Are you sure you set DMZ correctly or disabled DMZ?

#28 Edd

Edd

I LoVe LiZa

• Bounty Hunters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4099 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:44 PM

Weird. Are you sure you set DMZ correctly or disabled DMZ?

Yes, my router is pretty straight forward.  Here's a ss of my routers firewall settings, are they ok? I play like this with my old pc.  

Attached Thumbnails

• Router.jpg

#29 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • 13446 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:38 AM

I'd disable SPI and set UDP Filtering to Independent.
You could also try without router.

#30 volkots

volkots

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • XWIS Name: n/a

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:18 AM

Try changing old "network card" with a new one (it should take up to 5 minutes to test it).

#31 fir3w0rx

fir3w0rx

Xwis Was Initially Striketeam

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2158 posts
  • XWIS Name: fir3w0rx

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:07 PM

I'm using Win7 Ultimate 64 bit, Norton Internet Security, Windows Defender and UAC set to 2nd highest setting (I also tried the highest UAC setting).
I just reinstalled RA2 from the download page into the same folder you first installed it to (C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Alert 2) without changing any settings such as running in admin mode or compatibility mode... I had no problems whatsoever. There could be another problem here that isn't related to connecting to people.

But getting back to connecting...

1. Can you take a ss of your hosts file and post it please (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts)
2. What OS is on your old PC?
3. Is your newly built PC updated (with Windows Update)? If not, you should update it (unless it's a pirated version of Windows :p)
4. When you reinstalled into a different folder, did you reinstall OUTSIDE of C:\Program Files? If not, you probably should.
5. What do you mean exactly when you say you can't connect to people: Is there an error message? Does your game freeze? You get kicked back to lobby?
6. Is 'xwis' set as your preferred server?
7. Have you tried NOT using a router?
8. What do you mean by "My old PC connected to my new PC but my old one didn't connect"? In RA2? How do you know that your old PC connected?

Sorry about all the questions Edd, but the best way to get to the root is by digging.

#32 Edd

Edd

I LoVe LiZa

• Bounty Hunters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4099 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:46 AM

I'd disable SPI and set UDP Filtering to Independent.
You could also try without router.

I'll try this tonight.

Try changing old "network card" with a new one (it should take up to 5 minutes to test it).

I'll try this tonight.  

I'm using Win7 Ultimate 64 bit, Norton Internet Security, Windows Defender and UAC set to 2nd highest setting (I also tried the highest UAC setting).
I just reinstalled RA2 from the download page into the same folder you first installed it to (C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Alert 2) without changing any settings such as running in admin mode or compatibility mode... I had no problems whatsoever. There could be another problem here that isn't related to connecting to people.

But getting back to connecting...

1. Can you take a ss of your hosts file and post it please (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts)

I don't think I have the proper program to open this file.  I opened it with notepad and this is what it says :

# Copyright © 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.

#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1       localhost
# ::1             localhost

2. What OS is on your old PC?

Windows 7 Home Premium
3. Is your newly built PC updated (with Windows Update)? If not, you should update it (unless it's a pirated version of Windows :p)

Yes, it's updated.  (Bought legal copy  :happy: )
4. When you reinstalled into a different folder, did you reinstall OUTSIDE of C:\Program Files? If not, you probably should.

I didn't exactly create a new folder.  I reinstalled OS(Other problem not related to ra2).  Should I try reinstalling again on a new folder or was reinstalling OS fine?
5. What do you mean exactly when you say you can't connect to people: Is there an error message? Does your game freeze? You get kicked back to lobby?

This is what happens, then it just resumes as normal, back to match lobby.  (None of those nicks are mine, ss off google)

post-5338-1264805679.jpg
6. Is 'xwis' set as your preferred server?

Yes
7. Have you tried NOT using a router?

No, I'll try this and let you know what happens.  
8. What do you mean by "My old PC connected to my new PC but my old one didn't connect"? In RA2? How do you know that your old PC connected?

Just like the ss shows for the new pc and my old pc connected to the old one (both nicks checked)
Sorry about all the questions Edd, but the best way to get to the root is by digging.

Dig away

Edited by Edd, 19 September 2013 - 12:48 AM.

#33 fir3w0rx

fir3w0rx

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2158 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:23 AM

Try what Olaf and Explicit suggested above first (SPI, UDP, network card). If you still can't connect try the following:

Add these 2 lines at the bottom of the hosts file (yeah, notepad's the proper program for opening this file):

46.105.123.98 irc.westwood.com
46.105.123.98 servserv.westwood.com

After editing the file, check that it actually saved by re-opening it (again with Notepad). Now restart RA2 in admin mode and try connecting again.

Still not working? Reinstall only RA2 (not your entire OS) from the downloads section here into a folder that is NOT in Program Files (eg. c:\ra2, c:\games\ra2, c:\bananas). Don't worry about the RA2 Update for now. If the installation seems fine, check that those 2 lines above^ are still in your hosts file and that xwis is the preferred server. Restart RA2 in admin mode and try connecting again. (You should create restore points for your PCs, especially when you start filling it with a lot more things that you don't wanna lose. Reinstalling the entire OS should be a rare and last resort).

I hope this helps.

#34 Edd

Edd

I LoVe LiZa

• Bounty Hunters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4099 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:46 PM

Olaf, I tried disabling SPI and adding UDP but no luck.  I also tried connecting directly to modem and that also failed.

Explicit, this was a good suggestion, it was the only difference between my old computer and my new one that i've missed so far.  I put the same DNS ip from my old one to my new one but still, no good.  

Try what Olaf and Explicit suggested above first (SPI, UDP, network card). If you still can't connect try the following:

Add these 2 lines at the bottom of the hosts file (yeah, notepad's the proper program for opening this file):

After editing the file, check that it actually saved by re-opening it (again with Notepad). Now restart RA2 in admin mode and try connecting again.

Still not working? Reinstall only RA2 (not your entire OS) from the downloads section here into a folder that is NOT in Program Files (eg. c:\ra2, c:\games\ra2, c:\bananas). Don't worry about the RA2 Update for now. If the installation seems fine, check that those 2 lines above^ are still in your hosts file and that xwis is the preferred server. Restart RA2 in admin mode and try connecting again. (You should create restore points for your PCs, especially when you start filling it with a lot more things that you don't wanna lose. Reinstalling the entire OS should be a rare and last resort).

I hope this helps.

Tried your suggestion but it also failed.  My next step is to reinstall into another folder.  I'll let you guys know what happens later.

If there's any other suggestions on how to fix my problem connecting to others, let me know!

Edit: Lol, I didn't reinstall OS for ra2.  I would never!  I had some driver issues that I had to fix.

Edited by Edd, 20 September 2013 - 03:15 AM.

#35 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • 13446 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:12 AM

Please don't suggest adding things to hosts, it causes problems when the IP address changes and it's rarely if ever a solution.

#36 fir3w0rx

fir3w0rx

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2158 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:40 AM

Please don't suggest adding things to hosts, it causes problems when the IP address changes and it's rarely if ever a solution.

Ok, no probs. I ran out of ideas :p

Edited by fir3w0rx, 20 September 2013 - 10:00 AM.

#37 Edd

Edd

I LoVe LiZa

• Bounty Hunters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4099 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:40 PM

I reinstalled on a new folder and it finally worked.   It's funny because this was one of the first suggestions and I bypassed it by having reinstalled my OS.  

Thanks everyone.

#38 Pompski

Pompski

Emilio's Owner

• Strike Team
  • 19855 posts
  • XWIS Name: Pomp

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:25 AM

Good news, HF.

#39 rumblesom

rumblesom