8 replies to this topic

#1 Nuc1eoN

Nuc1eoN

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:10 PM

Hi, I installed the Ra2 and Yr multiplayer version from your download section.
I like playing via LAN with friends and to get it to work properly, I always used the UnderStorm UDP-Patch with the CD version.

But now with your version this doesn't seam to work. First of all I noticed that there is no serial entry in the registry and no woldata.key file, so that could be a problem but could be easily fixed, I think, by just adding those files.
I did read in the forums that the UDP patch could make problems with online gaming, however the major problem is that Ra2 and Yr won't even start with the wsock32.dll in the install folder and I get the following error message:
error_message.PNG
It's German but I think you get the meaning.

Is this a bug in the new release? Can it be fixed?
And why wouldn't online gaming work properly with the UDP patch? Isn't there a way to unite both?
Please give me some insight :)

best regards
Nuc1eoN

#2 NeoGrant

NeoGrant

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14914 posts
  • XWIS Name: neo

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:58 PM

Its to do with as you say wsock32.dll. Rename Gamemd backup to Gamemd.exe and run Yuri.exe instead.

If you plan on using Internet online, just rename Gamemd.exe back to Gamemd backup, and remove wsock32.dll out of the directory, and run Yuri's Revenge.exe

#3 Nuc1eoN

Nuc1eoN

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

eh? In the setup you provide in the download section there's no gamemd.exe backup nor any yuri.exe file.

But ok I get your meaning. Since I've once made a complete install setup for Ra2+Yr (click) I've got a complete backup of the install folder, so I just copied ra2.exe, game.exe, yuri.exe and gamemd.exe into the install folder.
Then there was a message that the launcher config file was missing, so I also needed to copy ra2.lcf and yuri.lcf into the install foder.

Ra2 works fine now but I've got an issue with yuri's revenge: It starts but the screen gets black, I can move the mouse around but nothing happens, the game doesn't load. EDIT: After some time it just closes
I think thats a common issue (click) but I never expereinced it before (it works fine with the xwis launcher, too).
So what could be amiss?

And wouldn't it be possible to create a new UDP patch that would work together with xwis online? Why is wsock32.dll actually conflicting with xwis? What's the technical background?

thx so far :)
Nuc1eoN

Edited by Nuc1eoN, 02 January 2013 - 02:05 AM.

#4 NeoGrant

NeoGrant

Commander

• Members
  • 14914 posts
  • XWIS Name: neo

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

Ah,

You want this previous version in that case which doesn't include the update. http://xwis.net/downloads/old/Yuri%27s_Revenge.exe You can then just run YURI.exe with wsock32.dll for network play.

We don't recommend wsock32.dll while using XWIS simply because it causes reconnection, disconnection errors, and gives limited connectivity to other players while trying to play a game. The technical part behind it, I'm not sure.

#5 Nuc1eoN

Nuc1eoN

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:41 PM

Ok, thanks very much it works now!
I suppose Olaf is the tec-guy here so it would be nice if you could post some info, Olaf :)

And thx for that great work of keeping Ra2 online and maintained, that's realy awesome work! That deserves my respect :thumbsup:

#6 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • 13438 posts
  • XWIS Name: XTF

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

And wouldn't it be possible to create a new UDP patch that would work together with xwis online? Why is wsock32.dll actually conflicting with xwis? What's the technical background?

Don't know, ask the developer of the LAN patch.

#7 Nuc1eoN

Nuc1eoN

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:26 PM

Don't know, ask the developer of the LAN patch.

heh nothing easier than that I suppose^^ :laugh:

#8 nuker7738

nuker7738

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

Why is wsock32.dll actually conflicting with xwis? What's the technical background?

Basically the LAN patch forces RA2 into using the UDP protocol for internet and network connections, over the outdated IPX protocol that RA2 was configured to use over LAN previously (which doesn't work because Windows operating systems haven't supported IPX for some time). Now XWIS games already primarily use UDP packets as their transmission medium but (and correct me if I'm wrong) there IS some TCP/IP session information maintained between clients, or at the very least there is some server config designed to somehow monitor packet transmission, which is something that UDP doesn't support in and of itself-- Now this is all an educated hypothesis, but I believe that in forcing the game to use only the UDP protocol, the patch interferes with the server's ability to monitor the game session and ensure flow control and connection quality, hence the disconnects and recon errors. Most likely the reason you can get away with bare UDP over a LAN is that there is no server involved, and there is a vastly reduced risk of packet loss (unless, of course, you're on a VPN, but that's a whole other can of worms).

P.S.: Sorry for the excessive jargon, but I suppose after all you did ask for the technical details :p

Edited by nuker7738, 10 December 2012 - 08:17 PM.

#9 Nuc1eoN

Nuc1eoN

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:04 PM

No reason for exuses. That's an answer I hoped to receive ;) thx
If sombody has additional info, I'd also appreaciate that :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users