#51 Inacurate

Inacurate

The One and Only - Enigma til the end!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • XWIS Name: Inacurate

Posted 24 March 2010 - 01:33 PM

Well, im really getting lost with all this. So we will do this.

Whats the two most annoying bugs that have to be fixed? Ill try my best to see if i can fix them.

I say the glitch that allows an air unit to travel into shroud using a rally point and the amount of damage that a disruptor does with one shot from certain locations when force fired on the ground through a building resulting in the over-powered "one-shot disruptor" tactic.

It's going to depend on who you ask and if their recommendations are based on an unbiased approach to trying to fix things or what they view as "accepted use" so it "has to stay that way just cause."

However, I tested your TL TON thing... wow that's actually really interesting...

I'll respond to the rest later when I have time, work trumps all.

I find it hard to believe you didn't know that...? You seem very knowledgeable about the game, heck you have it installed so that means you have played a lot more recent than I, going on I think five years and that was one or two games.

I don't know if that is a bug or if it was intended that way, since GDI can use a carryall to get up there easily and NOD has no such option. So I am really on the fence on whether that was intended or not, their direction with the rest of game play suggests it was intended, but it could have also been a very simple oversight on their part, not like a lot of thought had to go into designing the cliff and the range of building off other buildings.

#52 phatmouse

phatmouse

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • XWIS Name: ray

Posted 24 March 2010 - 04:51 PM

I say the glitch that allows an air unit to travel into shroud using a rally point and the amount of damage that a disruptor does with one shot from certain locations when force fired on the ground through a building resulting in the over-powered "one-shot disruptor" tactic.

1. "Alt-scouting" if anything should be fixed, this caused a lot of anger within the community if i can recall and was the reason why so many players quit. Players were just getting frustrated of trying to anti-scout the best they can only to have their opponent fly an air unit directly into your base. Even if they did manage to throw up a few SAMS, the air unit would still have had time to uncover a bit of the enemy shroud and obtain some bits of "information" about what their opponent is doing.

2. I don't think disruptor's should be nerfed, they already nerfed MK2 and disk men and virtually everything else they could to to limit GDI's power.

You brought up a scenario earlier in a previous point addressing JzampageX on the issue of balance and gameplay for GDI and NOD units. The scenario was something like, say, take 4-5 Engineers and put them in an area and test the effectiveness of both GDI and NOD air units against them, obviously, a bomber would win hands down with the their blast effect , but that doesn't necessary mean to "air units vs small infantry is imbalanced in favor for GDI bomber", the same argument can go into effect with the Flame unit vs the same said group of infantry, no GDI land unit, if i recall correctly, can take out a group of infantry that quick and similar to a bomber's blast effect radius.

I understand that hands down on paper it may look imbalanced but when you take into context all of GDI and NOD units, the game is automatically balances itself out.
No RTS game is ever perfect and TS is no exception, but it does well in the realm of its constraints so to speak.
If you are looking for absolute balanced gameplay then I wouldn't suggest a Command & Conquer game, maybe something like Starcraft 2 or Supreme Commander 2, a game big enough to be balanced appropriately and no GDI vs NOD storyline to fall back onto.

#53 Inacurate

Inacurate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 05:00 PM

1. "Alt-scouting" if anything should be fixed, this caused a lot of anger within the community if i can recall and was the reason why so many players quit. Players were just getting frustrated of trying to anti-scout the best they can only to have their opponent fly an air unit directly into your base. Even if they did manage to throw up a few SAMS, the air unit would still have had time to uncover a bit of the enemy shroud and obtain some bits of "information" about what their opponent is doing.

This was my number two reason for leaving. Nine times out of ten I could go ten minutes without being scouted before my opponent had to mass infantry or use a fast unit to scout. And I won't give numbers on how often that also failed them nor the reasons why. ;) If that glitch was fixed though, I'd have a strong desire to refresh my anti-scouting skills!!

You brought up a scenario earlier in a previous point addressing JzampageX on the issue of balance and gameplay for GDI and NOD units. The scenario was something like, say, take 4-5 Engineers and put them in an area and test the effectiveness of both GDI and NOD air units against them, obviously, a bomber would win hands down with the their blast effect , but that doesn't necessary mean to "air units vs small infantry is imbalanced in favor for GDI bomber", the same argument can go into effect with the Flame unit vs the same said group of infantry, no GDI land unit, if i recall correctly, can take out a group of infantry that quick and similar to a bomber's blast effect radius.

I understand that hands down on paper it may look imbalanced but when you take into context all of GDI and NOD units, the game is automatically balances itself out.
No RTS game is ever perfect and TS is no exception, but it does well in the realm of its constraints so to speak.
If you are looking for absolute balanced gameplay then I wouldn't suggest a Command & Conquer game, maybe something like Starcraft 2 or Supreme Commander 2, a game big enough to be balanced appropriately and no GDI vs NOD storyline to fall back onto.

Between the two of you, I am not going to have any time to play Battlefield Bad Company 2 this evening as I will be spending the better half of it responding to all the points. :laugh:

Edited by Inacurate, 24 March 2010 - 05:01 PM.

#54 phatmouse

phatmouse

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 05:47 PM

This was my number two reason for leaving. Nine times out of ten I could go ten minutes without being scouted before my opponent had to mass infantry or use a fast unit to scout. And I won't give numbers on how often that also failed them nor the reasons why. ;) If that glitch was fixed though, I'd have a strong desire to refresh my anti-scouting skills!!

And I am assuming your number one reason was cheating or am I mistaken?
Here's a question though... Is the carry all bug a glitch or a ethical problem? I am of course referring to when you click-place an air unit in the path of a landing carry-all to thwart it from landing thus being able to be shot by SAMS.
thoughts please?

#55 jZampageX

jZampageX

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:48 PM

Not sure, you can click it just once and it moves it... unlike a toggle off a cliff build.

I'm educated on the game ya, but who actually tests a TON to expo out of TL, I never have, in fact I never really played nod until as of late and for casual fun... that's about it. It's extremely interesting how it is the only building with that build range though.

Battlefield I heard was the shiz on 360, I watched a few mates play it, but I'm not going back to 360, right now I'm stuck on mass effect 2 and plenty occupied (for 360 also)

#56 Inacurate

Inacurate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:55 PM

And I am assuming your number one reason was cheating or am I mistaken?
Here's a question though... Is the carry all bug a glitch or a ethical problem? I am of course referring to when you click-place an air unit in the path of a landing carry-all to thwart it from landing thus being able to be shot by SAMS.
thoughts please?

Not mistaken at all, cheating was the number one reason indeed.

It's a glitch, using it, like ALL glitches is an ethical dilemma and in most communities frowned upon until it becomes "acceptable" behavior. After a while, most people don't have a problem with the dilemma in video games when the bug or glitch in question is "acceptable" in some circles. Sooner or later it becomes a non-issue as people become desensitized. And then as NEW players enter the community over time, years in the case of this game, it's not even an ethical dilemma anymore because it is "how the game is played."

I live in a black and white world by the way. It's tough, but someone has to! :cool:

#57 Inacurate

Inacurate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:24 PM

2. I don't think disruptor's should be nerfed, they already nerfed MK2 and disk men and virtually everything else they could to to limit GDI's power.

Nerfed is a perspective taken by players. Developers routinely have to change units health, behavior, abilities, etc. as the end user(you and I) play the game and do the things that real gamers do, and that is "PLAY" the engine. By play, I don't mean just playing the game, I mean they test the system for weak points, see what they can get away with and how best to use what they are given to win. This is why developers have to balance games. ;) I don't think they should necessarily be nerfed either, but there are many ways the one-shot can go away without "nerfing" the unit. One would be to give the buildings said tactic is used on enough health to barely survive.

Ok, this is going to be a two part response. Forgetting the flame tank for a moment, focus on the bomber and harpy. It's already been established that the bomber is clearly the unit more effective at this action. Now take that effectiveness and apply it to a real game. If I'm NOD and see a full APC with five engineers arriving in my base, how many harpies am I going to need to successfully defend my full health buildings against them? Success to me, is not losing the building by capture OR having to sell. Two harpy "shots" to kill a unit. Harpy "shot" rate of fire is <1 second per, I believe. Not going to get into the math, unless I have to. And I have in the past. ;)

Now, on the GDI side, same scenario. How many bombers are needed to successfully defend from a full sub-APC with five engineers?

Now, take it even a step further and assume we have the necessary number of harpies and bombers to successfully defend from said attack for each side. Put each group of units on a properly setup circular waypoint pattern, and you tell me which air unit has the very distinct advantage for defending against this type of attack?

Ah, flame tanks. Glad you went here, means you are actually giving this a bit of thought and not completely blowing it all off, unfortunately, I have had this discussion, too. :p Ok, take the NOD flame tank and the GDI bomber and let's talk movement patterns when in the default stance mode for units. A GDI bomber, has the luxury of from point A to B as the bird flies, which means in a straight line regardless of what is on the ground. The flame tank on the other hand, does not share that luxury, so while yes it's flames can easily dispatch a group of fire engineers, it first has to reach them AND be facing in the proper direction before it can even fire. So does the bomber you say? The bomber has been known to drop its bombs "prematurely" if you will and not always while facing the intended targets, negating this fact and giving the bomber the edge even more. I'm not sure if I have to continue going on this point or not? Let me know. On another tangent between the effectiveness of these two units, depending on the range of the flame tank to the infantry, it will actually submerge to get closer before attacking, giving the GDI bomber that much more of an advantage.

#58 phatmouse

phatmouse

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:31 PM

Now, on the GDI side, same scenario. How many bombers are needed to successfully defend from a full sub-APC with five engineers?

Now, take it even a step further and assume we have the necessary number of harpies and bombers to successfully defend from said attack for each side. Put each group of units on a properly setup circular waypoint pattern, and you tell me which air unit has the very distinct advantage for defending against this type of attack?

1 bomber is needed plus the ability to anticipate where the sub unit will pop up and force-firing the ground ahead of time.

I see your example, but it lacks relevance, a player will have a greater success rate trying to stop the engineers using other units such as infantry and lasers. I have never seen anyone defend against an engineer rush using 2 harpies, its not practical therefore that argument is considered void.

#59 Inacurate

Inacurate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 12:52 AM

1 bomber is needed plus the ability to anticipate where the sub unit will pop up and force-firing the ground ahead of time.

I see your example, but it lacks relevance, a player will have a greater success rate trying to stop the engineers using other units such as infantry and lasers. I have never seen anyone defend against an engineer rush using 2 harpies, its not practical therefore that argument is considered void.

I'm busy responding to jZ, but saw you made a reply.

Huh, interesting you say that. Anticipation is not needed when way points are used. You can set the bomber(s) and forget about em, and you are covered. As soon as the sub-APC pops out of the ground, the bomber starts its run. Whether deployed at once or not, very good chance your bomber will kill the engineers. A titan or RPG will damage the APC with the bomber finishing it off. If the bomber finishes it off, it will also take out your engineers due to the "area of effect" the bombs have.

You realize voiding my argument, with your very valid points when looking at over all strategy and tactics, only further goes to show how much more of an advantage GDI air is over NOD air? I was giving you a clear example of how GDI air units handily trump NOD units. ;) Not the most effective means with which NOD has to kill them.

#60 jZampageX

jZampageX

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:16 AM

Lol this is getting great... all I have to say until my response comes along.

#61 Favor

Favor

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:21 AM

but then u get the factor of the bomber not being as acurate its not hard to dodge then the ban is usually gonna hit every time

#62 Inacurate

Inacurate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:06 AM

Lol this is getting great... all I have to say until my response comes along.

Sorry, not having a lot of luck putting in consecutive time to have finished this quickly. I keep getting distracted and lose my train of thought, etc. Silly excuse, but it is what it is. I have rewritten my post from scratch three times now. :huh: :mellow: :p

First started off technical, then went more loose and now somewhere a bit closer to technical, but not using anything technical to explain and I really don't want to ask one question at a time, which is the best and most annoying, way to do this. Which is why I refreshed the page and am writing this. LOL

Meh, good times! :)

#63 Inacurate

Inacurate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:42 AM

My order from most obvious goes

Diss / Engy
Tit / CC
MK / inf
Bomber / Bans
Inf / Bikes
Hover / Ticks

Ok, now in this list. The first two options. What is each side most likely to use to defend against them?

For engineers, bomber for GDI is all it takes. One bomber, set on a circular waypoint and you can pretty much forget about the thing vs a NOD player. vs a GDI player, you can do the same thing. If still that concerned, add another bomber. Nothing else GDI can use is as effective as the bomber for killing infantry units spot on or as quickly as possible.

For NOD to defend against the engineers as effectively, requires a number of flame tanks around their base or the CC, which would be a setback on a number of levels. Am pretty sure I covered defending the engineer fairly well in my above post anyway. :p Lasers can be useful, but an appropriate amount would set you back also, as well as being useless for anything else other than infantry since titans have longer range. Infantry would also be useful, but most GDIs send in a bomber as AA decoy for the carryall and decimate said infantry in one fell swoop. NOD has no unit to do something like that as easily and effectively. So while one GDI bomber can make engineers not even an option, NOD requires a significant amount of time and money investment to reach the same state. To defend against engineers from a NOD player, you either have to use pavement with lasers, or build a mobile sensor array and keep a CC on standby. The CC is the only NOD unit that can take out engineers quickly enough to not lose anything which is the only option if not going to make an MSA, and it takes a lot of money and time to train one. While it's not like a CC was never going to be made, to use it for this sole purpose is a waste, where as the GDI can use as many bombers as they feel are necessary and never have to think about them once set to the task.

The difference between factions here is in availability and likelihood. For NOD to defend as effectively, they have to go out of their way to do so and keep an eye on it. It kills the availability of the CC unit for same effectiveness, so removes it from offensive use if you are not sure what the enemy is doing, which is what I am assuming in these scenarios.

For the disruptor, same thing. Who is going to use what once it's on the ground? Vs a rush, GDI has MK2, RPGs and Titans. Titans and RPGs bring immediate action and a rather swift death to a disruptor, while the MK2 is a bit clumsy and not something you want to fire through own buildings. While titans can be used for offensive means later, the RPG cannot. However the RPG also doubles as defense against the CC. For GDI to be effective, this is all they need and none of it would be odd to see in a GDI base.

NOD on the other hand has rocket men, lasers, artillery, tick tanks and CC. Aside from the CC, none of which can kill a disruptor as quickly and effectively as the GDI options and again vs a rush, very unlikely to have enough artillery or tick tanks. Artillery do not immediately damage a disruptor, so relying on them when there shots have travel time is not an option for killing it quickly, also not able to be used for offense as there is no way to protect them slowly moving across the map. Tick tanks do better, but they are not as good as RPGs or Titans and also not an effective offensive option for the same reasoning, no protection moving forward. Lasers are OK, but once purchased are stationary and cannot be used for offense, only to defend against infantry as titans have longer range. Rocket men are the second most effective NOD option and even they take time and large numbers when compared to the GDI options, their offensive use is also limited, as they are easily dispatched with that one GDI bomber. CC makes the top of the list, but you still need help taking out a disruptor before you lose a building. Of the NOD options mentioned, nothing can be reused as effectively as GDI. The CC, once GDI knows you have it, is almost powerless unless the GDI player is being risky. Two RPGs and a few titans and your CC is stopped dead in its tracks before you can get three shots off. Sometimes two, which means it wouldn't even take out a pad.

Absolutely everything is static defense once made for NOD and offers no offensive power unless you are playing against a GDI who is clueless. Everything has one really effective use but GDI can blow almost all of it away with just bombers and NOD does not have an absolute defense against air attacks like GDI does. Anything above ground that NOD could use that has any power, can be negated by bombers. That anything is artillery, which NOD has no way of getting close enough to an equally skilled GDI players base to be used.

I'm just not here for your response this evening jZ, sorry. I rambled to much like you above, even though in MY head I'm making perfect sense! Just jumping around a lot because everything is tied together very closely, very. I think I need to install the game and get some of my numbers "more straight" and revisit this post. Though, I stand by everything I said, even if it's not technical enough at this point. :)

#64 jZampageX

jZampageX

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:25 PM

Couple of things to that last post.

First off, to say Nod defense is bad in comparison to GDI is well... to say the least, wrong. The cost it takes to make 15 rocket men is less then what it takes to properly defend a GDI base with titans... and let me tell you, rockets literally own, if you space them out to where a diss can't properly Q away without getting decimated. Seriously... rockets... own... you can pop an MK before it can kill any important building, with the same amount of cash it would take for GDI to do this, it isn't possible. I tried it earlier just to verify.

Also, you're completely disregarding a common means of defense against nod engineers these days. Pavement is 100 for a 4x4 grid of protection... a ref only takes up 12, as does a war, a CY is the only thing that is 4x4. So, in lamens terms, you can cover an entire base with less then 1000$, 2 lasers cost more then that, thats .6 of what a bomber cost is, i mean my god 5 discmen is more, etc. People use it a lot more then they used to, pop a wall around ur cy and some pavement around ur refs dude its hook line and sinker, no way an engy is getting anywhere near you with just a couple place art in the base. And, it doesn't take long to build so you're not backed up and behind... it takes the same amount of time to cover a base in pavement as it does to build half a ref, a stack of discmen, etc.

Let alone, your forgetting about the simple fact that Nod shouldn't be getting attacked... Nod is surprisingly well about getting pressured... a bunk nod these days is a dead nod, people are in the sense of pressuring, so you've got to make sure you let them know you're attacking. I often times get purposely scouted and build a pad early on even if I'm going eco so they THINK I'm going to engineer and they waste their time defending an attack that will not happen. that's the beauty of nod, there isn't a sure means of knowing what is ever going on. Another huge thing nod has... if someone has a sensor, you can take 2 or 3 subs/flame tanks and Q them around a base ALL DAY LONG. They won't know which one has engis in it if you send engis. It's the best diversion invented on TS, and it's brilliant. And the beauty about Q, is it has a queue of commands, as in you can Q a unit 100 times around and it will do them in the order you said, like a waypoint without the clutter.

Who cares about artillery or tick tanks sucking when it comes to offense, that isn't what we excel at, that's like telling GDI to send hovers and wolverines... duh, it's not what they excel at. Our best defensive unit is the banshee, and our best offensive unit, followed by the CC. GDI gets titans and bombers. If you want to throw an MK into that mix, I can throw the hijacker in also. A jacker in a sub WITH a cc is UBER... people underestimate it, but the fact of the matter is, if you are attacking an MK with a CC the mk will always win, but if you attack an MK with a CC and a hijacker and pop them both out of the sub at the same time, the MK automatically fires at the CC no matter what and boom you got yourself an MK, or whatever it is you're after.

Point being, you're trying to validate something that doesn't exist. There is no end to this, because you are fighting an issue that doesn't coincide with what the players believe. We can both sit and banter back and forth all day long, but the fact of the matter is, this is a thread about fixing glitches... let's focus on that.

Multiple planes landing on same pad and also some planes don't charge on their pads needs to be fixed, STAT

Carryall glitch should be fixed where not only if you click under it, but also if people alt units/planes over a unit that is about to be carryall'd it won't pick it up properly and will just fly off.

Build anywhere should be fixed.

Emp, missile, ion cannon, and firestorm glitch should all be fixed.

The more i think about it, the toggle should be fixed, GDI can carryall an MCV anywhere and TL has more starting tib then any other spot on terrace if you include the bit to the right of you and it takes 2 power plants to expo there. Nod can build out with a temple, GDI can carry out a CY. Seems fair to me. If you're looking for preserving tib, send one to the blue tib expo until you can afford to get out there with a cy/carry. It's not like 75% of games result in spare making anyways, might actually make the players who don't build spares and it's their downfall improve also.

I think these all seem like things that should be fixed, but if I was to chose any two, it would be EMP Glitch and carryall glitch.

#65 phatmouse

phatmouse

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:45 PM

Huh, interesting you say that. Anticipation is not needed when way points are used. You can set the bomber(s) and forget about em, and you are covered. As soon as the sub-APC pops out of the ground, the bomber starts its run. Whether deployed at once or not, very good chance your bomber will kill the engineers. A titan or RPG will damage the APC with the bomber finishing it off. If the bomber finishes it off, it will also take out your engineers due to the "area of effect" the bombs have.

Not true, a GDI player cannot simply "forget" about their bombers being on waypoint when there are subs full of engineers potentially threatening their base.
Waypoint bombers are actually kind of stupid and smart nod players will "fake out" the bomber by popping up and then going back down again, causing the bomber to waste it's ammo. This happens routinely if you don't control the bomber right. A titan or two might be able to hit the sub once or twice before it goes back down but then goes back to the level of skill by the players using a nod sub against a defended GDI base.

A smart player will stay out of the titan's range, or only allow it to be hit one's or twice, so when it finally does pop up and die the engineers come out faster, while at the same time, providing decoy subs and "faking" out the bomber.

#66 IcyFlames

IcyFlames

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:43 PM

Well this is clearly a heated debate but I don't think anyone's actually going to fix anything...

How long has the max 4 players on the internet been around? Sinds forever? Not that an 8player patch is hard but just to make a point...

#67 jZampageX

jZampageX

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:45 PM

Hyper has the capability to fix all of this... it's kind of the motivation for this. If ST instituted a mandatory patch for the server once he is done patching it... wonders could be done, and if done properly, we could do away with all the current trainers.

#68 Orochi

Orochi

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:04 AM

theres been an 8 player patch out for years.....

#69 Favor

Favor

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 10:43 AM

8r built in would be nice...why make 8 player maps then not have the abilty to make 8r games

#70 jZampageX

jZampageX

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:54 PM

Yeah it seems silly, but it's not really hard to download I guess, most everyone has one, but a download link would be handy for those who don't.

#71 THE BIL

THE BIL

Captain

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3584 posts
  • XWIS Name: maxxximus

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:51 AM

the 2 most important glitches that could b fixed would be the emp glitch and the alt scout, other glitches/cheats r commonly known and easily recognised

#72 CCHyper

CCHyper

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:13 PM

I just implemented a 8 player hack on the slider. It defaults to 4 players but can go upto 8.

And i plan on adding another 8 colours into the selection box.

#73 IcyFlames

IcyFlames

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:02 PM

I just implemented a 8 player hack on the slider. It defaults to 4 players but can go upto 8.

I don't know your capabilities but it would be absolutely awesome if you could find a way for people to predetermine their positions on maps... ;O

#74 Favor

Favor

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:13 AM

nah thatd ruin ts...but 8 other colors would be cool lol

#75 THE BIL

THE BIL

Captain

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3584 posts
  • XWIS Name: maxxximus

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:28 AM

isnt the player and color patch already available?
mind u ive had both for years......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users