16 replies to this topic

#1 jZampageX

jZampageX

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:39 AM

This is more for any players who intend to start playing who are new and want to practice up by playing tournies or whatever.

Terrace is the most popular 2v2 map and 1v1 map that is WW related (WW means westwood, which means an original map of the game)

Forest Fires is the most popular 3v3/4v4 map that is WW related.

Then you get into various other maps like a River Runs Near, Night of the Mutants, and Tunnel Training. I wouldn't recommend playing these until you get terrace down first, the reason is because these are rarely if ever played much anymore with the exception of them being just pure fun matches.

MOD MAPS

Conflict - most popular mod ranging in maps that serve 2v2, 3v3, or 4v4 matches. Some versions are speeded as well, and by this I mean some units move faster or are cheaper, etc.

BBG (Big Bluntz Green) - second most popular legitimate mod and I say legitimate is because it isn't surrounded by visceroids, versions from 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4

Green Moon - Very old but well balanced mod map 2v2

Next up comes the awkward mods

Visceroid maps - These are extremely popular, and seems to be at least 1 game up at all times. What happens is your base starts out surrounded by concrete, and generally speaking you need to expand to tiberium around you by killing visceroids and making more concrete to the tiberium. This involves patience, and generally RPG's for GDI, or rocket infantry for nod - after you of course expand, you can use titans to easily take care of the visceroids without damaging the walls.

The other maps kind of vary between grays and nodrescue's vast array of mod maps, all of which are fun - but generally very long games.

Edited by jZampageX, 03 March 2010 - 01:42 AM.

#2 TsGoDGoTU

TsGoDGoTU

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 08:15 AM

If your going to play a mod map, play BBG, it's more like a training map to become a WW player. I'm sure most, including myself, would let you play FF from time to time, so we can see if you would be worthy opponent on WW maps.

Speak up don't be shy to test your skills, the more WW players the better.

#3 Urab17ch

Urab17ch

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:14 PM

exactly. dont be afraid to lose because the reality is however hard you might try to start off with you will lose. you will have to find some solice in the fact that by losing so much you will be learning a hell of a lot, and most players wont be childish about it or antyhing, and will probably help you out

#4 phatmouse

phatmouse

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • XWIS Name: ray

Posted 04 March 2010 - 05:57 PM

that is if you are playing against the top players and absolutely have no clue what you are doing^
once you get comfortable beating players worse then you, then you should seek a good challenge
but skipping that route and going straight to pro will be a tough load to swallow (especially if you are up against me)

#5 Urab17ch

Urab17ch

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:51 PM

yes, but i personally didnt learn much beating players worse than me. you cannot play the same way vs someone weaker than you compared to someone better than you. you will lose. therefore it makes sense to play the better players constantly to work out ways in which you can be successful at the highest level, then every other player will seem easy.

#6 jZampageX

jZampageX

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 01:48 AM

yes, but i personally didnt learn much beating players worse than me. you cannot play the same way vs someone weaker than you compared to someone better than you. you will lose. therefore it makes sense to play the better players constantly to work out ways in which you can be successful at the highest level, then every other player will seem easy.

That's about the best piece of advice any new player can get.

The only exception would be, learn the basics - which you might have to do by just playing average players - then get right into 1v1 tournies and into good 2v2 ffg games.

#7 IcyFlames

IcyFlames

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 12:54 AM

Wow... seems like attitudes have changed a lot?

Last time I played TS, everyone got kicked out of FF and tezz games unless you were part of some kind of elite group...

Has the TS community really grown up? I guess it was about time...

Such an amazing game. :(

Hats off to XWIS and whoever runs these things for maintaining WOL after EA bane.

#8 TsGoDGoTU

TsGoDGoTU

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:00 AM

lol, depends whats going on. Lets say i have a room of 5, and someone comes in wants to "test his skills" i have no problem with that. If there is 7, and there all elite you wont have a chance to talk -_-.

I was playing a game with the dank alliance on ff the other day, and there were 4 good players from dank, 2 noobs and 2 ww players. I was talking to them about ww maps, and i found out ww players are all snobs -_-. The mod players don't like the fact that they get kicked, and that ww players eng rush, harv bomb or talk when their dead.

There are really 2 different worlds on TS, the mod world and the ww world.

#9 IcyFlames

IcyFlames

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:54 PM

lol, depends whats going on. Lets say i have a room of 5, and someone comes in wants to "test his skills" i have no problem with that. If there is 7, and there all elite you wont have a chance to talk -_-.

I was playing a game with the dank alliance on ff the other day, and there were 4 good players from dank, 2 noobs and 2 ww players. I was talking to them about ww maps, and i found out ww players are all snobs -_-. The mod players don't like the fact that they get kicked, and that ww players eng rush, harv bomb or talk when their dead.

There are really 2 different worlds on TS, the mod world and the ww world.

I know it can be annoying when say BM builds all his buildings together, 1 ref and starts making devils tongues if he manages to tech. But (as I can remember...) a lot of ww players are such bad losers. So what if you lose because of this 1 guy? You can still try to take out some of the other team rather than go on an angry egotistical rant about everyone. I think back in 2003 (?) it got to the point where everyone got kicked unless you were known by name by someone, no matter how many TM jobs you answer.

OK fine, mods are boring and monotonous and a lot of modders fail to speak english. But really, is this level of ego and pretence really necessary? I've seen worse in other games, but the average age there is about 12. I'm sure on TS it's more like 30. Whatever. /end rant.

Tunnel training is awesome. D;< And river runs near it is great fun @ tech 4.

#10 TsGoDGoTU

TsGoDGoTU

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:59 PM

I know it can be annoying when say BM builds all his buildings together, 1 ref and starts making devils tongues if he manages to tech. But (as I can remember...) a lot of ww players are such bad losers. So what if you lose because of this 1 guy? You can still try to take out some of the other team rather than go on an angry egotistical rant about everyone. I think back in 2003 (?) it got to the point where everyone got kicked unless you were known by name by someone, no matter how many TM jobs you answer.

OK fine, mods are boring and monotonous and a lot of modders fail to speak english. But really, is this level of ego and pretence really necessary? I've seen worse in other games, but the average age there is about 12. I'm sure on TS it's more like 30. Whatever. /end rant.

Tunnel training is awesome. D;< And river runs near it is great fun @ tech 4.

some do get **** at times because of that, but most understand people gotta learn. For the people that get angry with it....to bad. I admit when I'm in a bad mood I get like that.

#11 jZampageX

jZampageX

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 04:11 AM

And Spencer gets in a bad mood a lot :)

#12 TsGoDGoTU

TsGoDGoTU

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 02:28 PM

lol, whatever.

#13 pavjoe2

pavjoe2

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • XWIS Name: pavjoe2

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:07 PM

"Battle Day [8] start in middle"

LOL i played that map soooooo much

"cabal vs eva"

was the most interesting mod map that i remember

when it comes to visceriod maps man
dont know if the names are right but,

"shivas mountian redux"

"ace official survivor"

something with "nflnfl vicseriod"

my favorite visc maps are the ones that just enough visc that youll die without walls but a small enough amount that if you rush titans you can sell your walls and just kill them all.

wow who remembers

"royal entrance.."
or
"carnage"
so many more maps i cant remember!!!!

i am 18 right now and i havnt play TS in months but the first time i played was when i was 10 or 11 lol!

#14 jZampageX

jZampageX

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:40 AM

Yup TS is legendary mate :) I'm in the same boat, I was 10 when I started, now I'm in my 20's.

Dragon's Lair and Sheepab we're fun but epicly long games.

I loved Green Moon and Red Moon, Obiwaaann got me into those when we were stuck up each other's butts for a bit.

Big Game Hunters is kind of fun too, reminds me of a starcraft type TS map

Then you get into the super computer maps like Scandinavian defense and shredder - those are ALWAYS fun to play if just one friend is online and you can't get a 2v2 going.

#15 IcyFlames

IcyFlames

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:08 AM

Yup TS is legendary mate :) I'm in the same boat, I was 10 when I started, now I'm in my 20's.

Dragon's Lair and Sheepab we're fun but epicly long games.

I loved Green Moon and Red Moon, Obiwaaann got me into those when we were stuck up each other's butts for a bit.

Big Game Hunters is kind of fun too, reminds me of a starcraft type TS map

Then you get into the super computer maps like Scandinavian defense and shredder - those are ALWAYS fun to play if just one friend is online and you can't get a 2v2 going.

Dragon's Lair... it was just impossible to win. You sell anything and your cash just kept streaming up... for ever and ever and ever!!

#16 jZampageX

jZampageX

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:47 PM

ya there was 2 versions of it, one like that, one that was legit. Either way, they we're 2-3 hour games guaranteed.

#17 pavjoe2

pavjoe2

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • XWIS Name: pavjoe2

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:28 PM

wow i completely forgot about super comp maps man shredder X and some others so funny seeing the comp send out like 100 guys and build like 10 mcvs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users