40 replies to this topic

#26 jZampageX

jZampageX

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 05:55 PM

The offensive on economy relies on your opponent not doing the simple thing and expanding into the fields. Sure, those bombers are great, but when AA defense is absolute, what are you going to do then? You have a lot of money invested in paperweights until you have enough of them and are willing to sacrifice some to complete an objective OR are able to setup a forward EMP base.

As an old school player who won a majority(99% easy) of my games without rushing, I am chuckling at everything being said in here right now. I had two or three build orders, ever. :) Build orders are great if you want to memorize what you are doing, but beyond that you have to adapt to what the enemy is doing and not set your path in stone. As has been touched off in here slightly, committing yourself to a rush 100% means, if you are playing an average player who can capitalize, if your rush fails or they have contingency plans, you will more than likely lose.

You never want to commit until you are sure. Until such time, leave your options open and look to capitalize yourself. ;)

Inac

In response to your first paragraph? Simple: don't bomb their boss, bomb their harvs :) Paired with an MK, it's unbeatable with exception of a select few good players.

#27 Urab17ch

Urab17ch

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:38 PM

he said when theyre defense is absolute, ie if you're going to go for his harvs he has an emp, bans and sams near the tib patch, cld only possibly kill1 harv at every attempt (every 3 minutes or so), giving him more than enough time to recover unless you have other attack strats in the mean time.

#28 agentak47

agentak47

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 06:19 PM

hi guys - remember me ?

Urab? :D

#29 jZampageX

jZampageX

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 04:15 AM

Nah Urab, doesn't take that long... pair it with an MK for your static downtime, but honestly if they are mass tits emp and bunk - I'll just makes nonstop bombers and pads. Ask Droghe or TRZ or Nav or c0rps or Ray, they've all seen me do it... amongst others... it's absolutely hilarious to watch, people get so frustrated, and honestly - you rarely run into the person smart enough to stop building another ref and rather just build a harv... or for that matter stop wasting their cash on more sams which I completely avoid in the first place.

I don't care if they have sams all around a tib patch... the harvs have to TRAVEL to that tib patch, and long game - they after have to travel far.

#30 Inacurate

Inacurate

The One and Only - Enigma til the end!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • XWIS Name: Inacurate

Posted 18 March 2010 - 03:30 AM

Nah Urab, doesn't take that long... pair it with an MK for your static downtime, but honestly if they are mass tits emp and bunk - I'll just makes nonstop bombers and pads. Ask Droghe or TRZ or Nav or c0rps or Ray, they've all seen me do it... amongst others... it's absolutely hilarious to watch, people get so frustrated, and honestly - you rarely run into the person smart enough to stop building another ref and rather just build a harv... or for that matter stop wasting their cash on more sams which I completely avoid in the first place.

I don't care if they have sams all around a tib patch... the harvs have to TRAVEL to that tib patch, and long game - they after have to travel far.

I'm guessing you never played me back in the day? Please, find anyone who has ever played me where they won and the game went past 10 minutes. No, I'm not being crass or trying to sound tough, I'm extremely serious.

When you find this person, see if they recall how they had to defeat me. I can tell you what they didn't use. Air power.

Air power was NOT an option vs me back then unless you managed to get it in prior to me laying down my AA network. There was no "avoiding it" when they were placed in my pattern(I should have patented it!) that provided for total coverage for every spot on Terrace. I was systematic with my placement and tested for hours what worked and what didn't. While people were busy running their economy numbers for their build orders, I was busy maximizing my air defense, as that was the only thing that could overpower so easily.

You want to see frustrated? Build a time machine and go watch people trying to beat me with their silly little rushes, half-baked mid-game and not even semi-baked long game plans. ;) And I had an answer to every rush or planned attack sent at me. It was easy as NOD, if you knew the game.

By the way, my harvestors never had to travel far. Selling refineries isn't hard!

Harpies eat your pads alive.

I like the way you put things inac, especially in the first paragraph. i remember you when you came back to cncgamer :D it's pretty much accepted nowadays though that to win a game vs someone of an above average ability, you will have to sacrifice units (often all of the ones which your using to complete the objective), but the mentality of 'safely' killing your opponent has been integral in ts in the past 3 or 4 years at least. you expect the opponent to counter with all he has if he dies, or if not have a recovery plan which won't slow them down, often in combination with an effective counter as you are able to anticipate when your opponent is going to attempt to KO you.

also, it's nice hearing about a 'long game' mentality coming from a genuine old school player, and being able to adapt to the given situation, often having to completely alter your building style and forethought. thinking about it, in certain spots on certain maps there are only like 2-3 BO's i regularly use (often without thinking as they have been trained into my clicking habit subconsciously), as the likelyhood is they will prevail for me

I like the way I put things too. :p Rarely use that mumbo jumbo nonesense, I kinda chuckle at it. Simple and to the point with my intent, just never give them all the answers. ;)

Anyone who wasn't prepared to lose every unit attacking the enemy, wasn't prepared period. You have to be willing and ready to give it all, to win it all. Last ditch "throw everything at them" plans could work, and were always amusing when they did.

Everything I did back then when playing was based off what my opponent was doing and prepared for a long game, same mentality every time. Once you see what they have and their first rush has failed, it was easy pickings for me in most cases. It was all a logic process for me, if they did this, I do that. They rush with this, I counter like this and press like that. I know a couple people who attempted to play like me, but could never quite pull it off because it relied on being attacked first and most players didn't have the patience!

#31 Orochi

Orochi

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:27 AM

lol that sounds like how i play yet i get called a bunker, people dont understand :(

#32 Inacurate

Inacurate

The One and Only - Enigma til the end!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • XWIS Name: Inacurate

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:07 PM

lol that sounds like how i play yet i get called a bunker, people dont understand :(

So did I. I ignored those n00bs as they obviously had zero skill or power of observation. Point was to win the game. A true bunker is one who never expands much past start location and that type of bunker will quickly be overrun. My kind involved expanding, yet because of the simple fact that I was more defensive than offensive(IE: I didn't rush often) I was labeled a bunker. Always fun wasting people who thought that!

Rushing has devolved this genre(RTS) so much that people commonly and mistakenly accept as fact that it is a valid strategy. The problem is this isn't the RTT genre, real-time tactics. Rushing is a tactic, people accept it as a strategy. The reason why TS was such a great game was because you could win without rushing, which back then just after the Red Alert and Starcraft mentality, was unheard of.

I still play RTS games these days, and I have not played one that comes this close to perfection when it comes to using actual strategy and out thinking your opponent, while still giving you total control over everything!!

Long Live Tiberian Sun and RIP WW! :(

#33 Orochi

Orochi

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:54 PM

i defend because i like middlegames, i just got bored hearing people whine about how im not fun to play because i just bunk blahblahblah and started rushing occasionally to prove that i could do other things -_-.

#34 phatmouse

phatmouse

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • XWIS Name: ray

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:23 PM

I like pressuring players everywhere on the map until they break and crumble, then I steam roll them with all my units FTW.

#35 Urab17ch

Urab17ch

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 06:40 PM

yo glen :D

#36 jZampageX

jZampageX

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 05:42 AM

i defend because i like middlegames, i just got bored hearing people whine about how im not fun to play because i just bunk blahblahblah and started rushing occasionally to prove that i could do other things -_-.

I guess I shouldn't really call you a 'bunker' persay.

I think I've stated elsewhere, but to put it in lamens terms, you're more like a cat, waiting for the right opporunity for the mouse to make a mistake. I'm much like Ray anymore, I feel like the best defense for me, is an effective offense.

#37 Orochi

Orochi

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:45 AM

that made me laugh lol

#38 jZampageX

jZampageX

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 06:04 PM

Only because it's true! :)

#39 pavjoe2

pavjoe2

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • XWIS Name: pavjoe2

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:33 PM

best rush strat is to make 30 disc throwers then attack ground because disc will bounce and it is so overpowered and i am not trolling (hehehehe)

#40 Favor

Favor

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:32 PM

well u see if ur good thats easy to stop

#41 jZampageX

jZampageX

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:52 PM

Just a common misconception from old players to new ones these days - disc rushing doesn't do much without either some superior medic control or tons of inf with them. And no one really utilizes medics :S

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users