13 replies to this topic

#1 SoBe0wns

SoBe0wns

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:37 PM

People always focus on particular BOs for certain maps. But I've always had people ask me "What do you do at the very start??" In other words, a lot of players, even pretty good ones, struggle to know exactly what to do in the first 30 seconds or so on any given map. Do I make engies first, or connies, or dogs? Where do I send what? I thought it would help some players if people would pick a given map, and explain what they do straight away. This only applies to maps with derricks/buildings to garrison.

Alamo

From what I remember :D

Bottom - connie first, waypoint to alamo. dog second, to airport. engy to port, engy to oil by your base. connies to buildings between base and alamo, and a few connies to top left buildings. use airpot dog to scout.

Top - dog first, waypointed to bottom oil. 3 or 4 connies waypointed to bottom oil. put first connie in closest building if you see enemy dog. send other connies to buildings to the left of bottom oil. engy to bottom oil. engy to oil by your base. scout w/dog.

Feel free to post your own strategies for other maps or make comments/improvements.

Edited by SoBe0wns, 31 July 2009 - 09:37 PM.

#2 Librarian

Librarian

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:08 PM

why waypoints :confused1:

#3 reano

reano

Captain

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3159 posts
  • XWIS Name: reano

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:38 AM

why waypoints :confused1:

So that dogs or whatever goes directly to the waypoint without you having to direct them there. Can save a few seconds which is all you need to win in some close games.

#4 reano

reano

Captain

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3159 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:12 AM

Not in any particular order

1) Build orders possibly most important to learn first (especially when really new to the game)
2) Keyboard shortcuts (N, D, H, Q, W, E, R, L, etc)
3) Use of waypoints and adequate scouting and anti-scouting
4) Dog control (started to play more RA2 now before sc2) and just getting your dog right to get that oil can win the game
5) Unit Control (with fodder or without? run past or stay put, aim at the weak tanks or let the tanks auto aim, move or stop, etc)
6) Effective splits and distractions (if you wanna eng, seal, ivan, etc).
7) Listening (including use of right mouse key for fast scroll)... I sometimes move my cursor to near the clients base and listen for sounds if for example I 'hear' his mcv moving I can act accordingly, including rockies, robots and similar. Especially on smaller maps where they may move like the alamo, HV (if they started in ore), urban rush, etc
8) Eco management. Simple maths. Using desos on yuri, killing miners, miner control early on, miner placement all pay big dividends in later game.
9) Traffic management - Occupying the right buildings, forcing tanks into single file (ala the film 300), getting the high positions on maps. If Yuri this is especially important to be behind trees, rocks, buildings, water so you can mag and land tanks on these.
10) Lame - Many players will use 'so-called' lame tactics like waypoint, engy, seals, etc but it helps to know how and when to use these.
11) Age and panic playing (thats how I like to call it) basically always looking around the field of play being able to key fast, scroll quickly, switch between views (units, defence tab, building, etc). Reaction time tends to peak mid teens to mid 20's.. So get some energy drinks and go mad :cool:
12) Team formations (especially when using planes if korea, allied) just to speed up your selection of units. Also T and P can come in handy for this as well as N and M.

#5 DrVanNostrand

DrVanNostrand

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5114 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:18 AM

what does H and L do ?

#6 AirPowerBro

AirPowerBro

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5755 posts
  • XWIS Name: Brother

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:34 AM

what does H and L do ?

returns to base like f1-f4 and space bar sometimes.

#7 tRiPPy

tRiPPy

cool

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2469 posts
  • XWIS Name: tRipPy

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:51 AM

L is sell i think

#8 hardman

hardman

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10521 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:56 AM

space bar just take you to the current 'event on the map' Like if it says something under attack hit space and it takes u there noob!

#9 Gyroscopic

Gyroscopic

F(r)iend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3464 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:23 PM

f1-4 default to your mcv? i thought you had to set them first ;s

#10 AirPowerBro

AirPowerBro

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5755 posts
  • XWIS Name: Brother

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:37 PM

space bar just take you to the current 'event on the map' Like if it says something under attack hit space and it takes u there noob!

yeh but if you hit space at the start of the game or hit it repeatedly it goes to base noob.

nah i use f4 as my return home button all the time. you can set them with ctrl f1-f4 but default is your base :D

Edited by Carl, 10 August 2009 - 12:38 PM.

#11 hardman

hardman

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • 10521 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 01:24 PM

yeh but if you hit space at the start of the game or hit it repeatedly it goes to base noob.

nah i use f4 as my return home button all the time. you can set them with ctrl f1-f4 but default is your base :D

Thats because thrs **** all happening !

#12 MewMyMuff

MewMyMuff

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 01:56 AM

what does H and L do ?

you can set them to do whatever you want them to do.. as with any key on your keyboard :mellow:

#13 reano

reano

Captain

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3159 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:06 AM

what does H and L do ?

H by default to go back to your base without scrolling. L to quick sell. On Yuri this can be the difference between a win or loss if my prime gets ya building. Also if against yuri u may need to sell power, etc fast to stop the disc drain, capture, etc.

#14 JoKuJaK

JoKuJaK

b00yaka

• Members
  • 10846 posts
  • XWIS Name: JoKuJaK

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:46 AM

H by default to go back to your base without scrolling. L to quick sell. On Yuri this can be the difference between a win or loss if my prime gets ya building. Also if against yuri u may need to sell power, etc fast to stop the disc drain, capture, etc.

on ra2 too... how many times ive sold instead of repair.. o well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users