Photo

Hey I'm joining the army at age of 17???

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#26 ProWiNz

ProWiNz

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5652 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:37 PM

Light infantry is the way to go!

JTF-2 ftw

I am going to apply for being an instructer for basic training when I get up to Master Corporal up at CFB Borden (Thats were I did basic). Your're in the Marines Corey?

hehe right by me :D

Edited by ProWiNz, 14 January 2009 - 07:36 PM.

#27 BeHumble

BeHumble

Here & There

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2897 posts
  • XWIS Name: LooKaUFO

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:01 AM

amplify did you whined up some bodys****in the army :p :D????

Ye and you cant really go anywhere to spend the money when ur in the army so you dont have to worry about spending it :p

#28 Crisis

Crisis

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9461 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:35 PM

Ye and you cant really go anywhere to spend the money when ur in the army so you dont have to worry about spending it :p

lol you're not in the army 24/7 for the rest of your life when you join

#29 AmPLiFY

AmPLiFY

-AuF-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2525 posts
  • XWIS Name: AmPLiFY

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:54 PM

JTF-2 ftw

hehe right by me :D

JTF-2 is insane. I've see videos of the **** they do, its nuts lol. The fitness level to even get in the JTF is a level on its own lol.

Please don't talk like you know something about the subject.

#30 ridaz

ridaz

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • XWIS Name: -

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:35 AM

JTF-2 is insane. I've see videos of the **** they do, its nuts lol. The fitness level to even get in the JTF is a level on its own lol.

Please don't talk like you know something about the subject.

True!!..

#31 BeHumble

BeHumble

Here & There

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2897 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:37 AM

Well "partner" my dad was in the military and he tells me all about it now stfu plz and dont jump to conclusions? -_- :hug:

Edited by HiTDaT1MoTiMe, 16 January 2009 - 03:40 AM.

#32 AmPLiFY

AmPLiFY

-AuF-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2525 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:51 PM

Being told something and experiencing it and two totally different things.

Here's a few Pictures, some of the best sleeping Conditions ever! lol.

Attached Files

#33 ridaz

ridaz

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:47 PM

Being told something and experiencing it and two totally different things.

Here's a few Pictures, some of the best sleeping Conditions ever! lol.

Is this an army or a marines???....Awesome..Is that you tho?

#34 Crisis

Crisis

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9461 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 12:57 AM

ya it's him

#35 AmPLiFY

AmPLiFY

-AuF-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2525 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:59 AM

Is this an army or a marines???....Awesome..Is that you tho?

Yeah it's me :).

#36 BeHumble

BeHumble

Here & There

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2897 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:25 AM

becareful mate i love you :wub:

lol you're not in the army 24/7 for the rest of your life when you join

I didnt mean the rest of your life pal. I meant how long you're in the military for....

Amplify here is a song for you :) ---->
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHcUEnmQ8AI...=1&index=28

Edited by HiTDaT1MoTiMe, 17 January 2009 - 06:26 AM.

#37 ridaz

ridaz

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:59 PM

Nice!

#38 Crisis

Crisis

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9461 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 11:10 PM

that certainly sounds like you meant 24 hours for the rest of your life l0l

#39 BeHumble

BeHumble

Here & There

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2897 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 01:15 AM

No not really.

#40 Wiganfc

Wiganfc

-AuF- Founder & Leader

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2804 posts
  • XWIS Name: Wiganfc

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:23 PM

I did 6+ years in the Army just left a few weeks ago. Hated it, best part of the Army I enjoyed was Afghanistan (actually doing something worth while) other than that, expect to be away from home pretty much all the time for the first few years.

You will probably lose most of the mates you have now over the years and just have 'army friends' in which your whole conversation will be guns, what you did during the day & general army stuff.

Not really got a good word to say about the army really, served with the US / Canadian / Danes in Afghan, they get treated a lot better than British forces, (from food - rations, and genrral care) so thats a plus for you. Money is pretty good.

I wouldn't make the mistake of joining so young, I joined the British Army at 16, and served until I was 22, and always wondered 'was the grass greener' on the other side? And the answer is yes for me..

I would encourage you to concentrate on getting a good education & if you do go in the forces, go for a high spec job.

#41 Pompski

Pompski

Emilio's Owner

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19854 posts
  • XWIS Name: Pomp

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:32 PM

Not the same i know..... But im in the royal air force and can relate with dave on most of that, but still...... Im on £25 grand a year and made some great mates, got a good qualification that will enable me to be on at least £45 grand when i leave.

My advice would be, if you join, then do a trade that will give you a good CIVILIAN recognised qualification. Otherwise its not really worth it, i think dave will agree with me.

#42 Wiganfc

Wiganfc

-AuF- Founder & Leader

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:08 PM

Yeah I agree with Dave, but I wouldn't jump at the money & let make your decision for you, at the end of the day your social life will suffer considerably, and your 'life' will become dependant upon the Army... not totally but in some respects. The army is definetly more than a job, it's part of your life too.

That was something I didn't like. A job should be a job...

Ref's Dave's post about getting civilian qualifications it's good advice, but the British army only gives you military quals (i.e quals you only need to operate in the military). Hence most of my quals such as first aid etc etc being useless in normal life.

The only really quals you can do which would be well recognised in civilian life would be courses you do yourself in your own time, i.e courses online etc.

Edited by Wiganfc, 01 May 2009 - 08:11 PM.

#43 AmPLiFY

AmPLiFY

-AuF-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2525 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:57 PM

Some of the sutff really does suck lol. Don't go infantry like me and probably half the other people in the world do because they think the training is cool. I am not gonna lie the training is pretty kick **** but its also really intense, it pushes you way beyond what you think you can do. We do a lot of 13k ruck-sac marches, trench digs, sleeping in the feild and wepons drills but when all thats done, we pretty much sit around in garrision getting yelled at.

I'll probably change trades in a few years i am gonna finish up my 3 year team with the infantry and perhaps change to a purple trade so when I leave the forces I won't be hung out to dry finding a Job in civi life.

#44 t00much4u

t00much4u

Cuidich 'N Righ

• ST Retirees
  • 18426 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:54 PM

Ref's Dave's post about getting civilian qualifications it's good advice, but the British army only gives you military quals (i.e quals you only need to operate in the military). Hence most of my quals such as first aid etc etc being useless in normal life.

The only really quals you can do which would be well recognised in civilian life would be courses you do yourself in your own time, i.e courses online etc.

Errr, that is not true, some "slight" bias there.

Engineers have civil qualified sparkies, plumbers, joiners and project managers for example. REME have veh mechs, airframe techs and courses that gain upto degree level. Signals have trades that gain CCNA, Network admin, DB admin and again courses upto degree level.

Depends more on the trade, does it not?

You did not get any NVQs, BTEC ONC/OND/HNC/HND, CAT C/C+E (host of other driver quals)?

#45 Wiganfc

Wiganfc

-AuF- Founder & Leader

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 01:16 PM

Errr, that is not true, some "slight" bias there.

Engineers have civil qualified sparkies, plumbers, joiners and project managers for example. REME have veh mechs, airframe techs and courses that gain upto degree level. Signals have trades that gain CCNA, Network admin, DB admin and again courses upto degree level.

Depends more on the trade, does it not?

You did not get any NVQs, BTEC ONC/OND/HNC/HND, CAT C/C+E (host of other driver quals)?

REME -(Royal Electrical Mechanical Engineers) like you have stated are probably the best part of the Army to be for gaining quals that will help you in civilian life yes. You can probably get a job in a garage as a car mechanic for example of the back of leaving the army as a VM (vehicle mechanic)

As for driving quals, yes most people in the Army get driving quals including C & C+E, driving quals arn't exactly something to write home about? 80% of people over 25 in the UK have a valid driving license.

I am actually in the Signals, well was, I got a few NVQ's (Level 2) which is garbage. I did a very high spec job, I was a Spec Op, all my qualifications are either 'classified' or 'military' quals. Much like the rest of the qualifications you get out of the Army.

I would hardly say it's worth joining the Army for a driving license and maybe an NVQ :/

#46 AmPLiFY

AmPLiFY

-AuF-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2525 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 02:41 PM

Dave you should move to Canada and join the CF, lol. When I headout again I am just so lucky to be dealing with Americans... there doing some IED, C4 Demo... Like how to avoid being hit by an IED, I think its a total waste of time, first of all I'd just be sitting in the back of a LAV3 and all i am gonna hear is a bang, then probably be kocked out after the fact(Hoping to be knocked-out at the best, lol.)

Also, I could be your Basic training instructer!

#47 t00much4u

t00much4u

Cuidich 'N Righ

• ST Retirees
  • 18426 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 05:51 PM

REME -(Royal Electrical Mechanical Engineers) like you have stated are probably the best part of the Army to be for gaining quals that will help you in civilian life yes. You can probably get a job in a garage as a car mechanic for example of the back of leaving the army as a VM (vehicle mechanic)

As for driving quals, yes most people in the Army get driving quals including C & C+E, driving quals arn't exactly something to write home about? 80% of people over 25 in the UK have a valid driving license.

I am actually in the Signals, well was, I got a few NVQ's (Level 2) which is garbage. I did a very high spec job, I was a Spec Op, all my qualifications are either 'classified' or 'military' quals. Much like the rest of the qualifications you get out of the Army.

I would hardly say it's worth joining the Army for a driving license and maybe an NVQ :/

IMO you should not join the Army for quals.....but that is another story :p

My point is your untrue statement:

but the British army only gives you military quals

As I said it depends more on the trade Corps/Arm that you are in.

Pointy heads were never a high spec trade :p (Tried GCHQ :ohmy: ) :D

#48 CptSwifty

CptSwifty

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 10:41 PM

what country are you from.. it's deff not american.. cause our army gear is a lot more up to date.. I was just curious where you were from.

#49 Wiganfc

Wiganfc

-AuF- Founder & Leader

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 09:07 AM

IMO you should not join the Army for quals.....but that is another story :p

My point is your untrue statement:

As I said it depends more on the trade Corps/Arm that you are in.

Pointy heads were never a high spec trade :p (Tried GCHQ :ohmy: ) :D

Yeah I agree with you t00much.

I worked at GCHQ for 2 years, lived in a nice posh flat in Cheltenham, was nice!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users