#51 ExpaNd

ExpaNd

RanDoMiZer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3825 posts
  • XWIS Name: ExpaNd

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:43 AM

1v1 lvr on dh left has a disadvantage early on because the right side can kill miners a lot easier

Ok let me rephrase what i was saying,

in a balanced map like DH,
all spots have its advantages/disadvantages. but they equal each other out.

#52 Coldskool

Coldskool

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1207 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:48 AM

please tell me what the right sides disadvantage is xD

#53 caseybob

caseybob

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:18 PM

quite the opposite actually.... almost every map one side has a significant disadvantage...

Heck: in 3v3 the right side has a serious disadvantage with one player not having any gems (left side can also get to mid faster)

CS: the top positions have less ore and you can build your first/second ref at the gems from the bottom pos

DH: the left/top has the disadvantage cause of pos 1 having bad eco

DMZ: the right side have faster middle gems AND an airport

Sedona: if the left side decide to camp it's almost impossible to break it (assuming that all players are competent) and they have a para for early rushes

That's just what I can think of at the top of my head. Haven't played YR in a while, can't remember what maps there are

How on earth does CS have more ore on the bottom? I realize placing the ref. the right way makes a big difference early in the game, but there isn't less ore on the top....and CS games usually turn into 2 miners from war, massive tank battles where splits and micro decide the game, not who has the better start position. Hell, the miners even are involved at the end of the game as fodder.

DMZ seems to have better gem access on the left....The right getting the airport balances that map, imo because the left seems to have a much easier access to all the gem patches resulting in a smoother economy early and mid game....

As far as maps not being balanced.....Isn't it more fun if they're not 100% balanced? If you play enough matches you're going to get both sides of every map plenty of times where it eventually evens out. And its not like ANY map on QM is so unbalanced that the disadvantaged side can't win. Pinch point and mayday are the two most unbalanced QM maps, but left on pinch point and top on mayday have a chance they just have less room for error and require a more aggressive style of play.

Yuris revenge introduced the concept of perfectly symmetrical maps(blood feud, dune patrol, offense defense, hidden(noob) valley, no wimps, roundhouse kick and probably more than that) and I personally find it boring. These maps also have 0 personality to them, they're just maps to play on. Country Swing, Heartland, Lake Blitzen, Montana, DC, Paris, The Alamo, Arctic Circle, South Pacific, Malibu, Snow Valley ect. all may be be slightly(like 51-49) unbalanced, but they take on real life places in this world and have personality to them which makes them more fun to play, IMO.

Just like in sports where the home team has a slight advantage and adds some parody RA2 has parody of start positions.

#54 TimmyJohn

TimmyJohn

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1332 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:43 PM

the only maps that i consider balanced off the top of my head are are cs, sv and heck because there are so many possibilites on those maps that anything can be countered

#55 Wounded

Wounded

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1970 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:16 AM

How on earth does CS have more ore on the bottom? I realize placing the ref. the right way makes a big difference early in the game, but there isn't less ore on the top....and CS games usually turn into 2 miners from war, massive tank battles where splits and micro decide the game, not who has the better start position. Hell, the miners even are involved at the end of the game as fodder.

i think its $9,000 more then top open it in a map maker u will see

#56 AaSoVGoD

AaSoVGoD

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4315 posts
  • XWIS Name: AaSoVGoD

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:51 AM

DMZ seems to have better gem access on the left....The right getting the airport balances that map, imo because the left seems to have a much easier access to all the gem patches resulting in a smoother economy early and mid game....

As far as maps not being balanced.....Isn't it more fun if they're not 100% balanced? If you play enough matches you're going to get both sides of every map plenty of times where it eventually evens out. And its not like ANY map on QM is so unbalanced that the disadvantaged side can't win. Pinch point and mayday are the two most unbalanced QM maps, but left on pinch point and top on mayday have a chance they just have less room for error and require a more aggressive style of play.

Yuris revenge introduced the concept of perfectly symmetrical maps(blood feud, dune patrol, offense defense, hidden(noob) valley, no wimps, roundhouse kick and probably more than that) and I personally find it boring. These maps also have 0 personality to them, they're just maps to play on. Country Swing, Heartland, Lake Blitzen, Montana, DC, Paris, The Alamo, Arctic Circle, South Pacific, Malibu, Snow Valley ect. all may be be slightly(like 51-49) unbalanced, but they take on real life places in this world and have personality to them which makes them more fun to play, IMO.

Just like in sports where the home team has a slight advantage and adds some parody RA2 has parody of start positions.

CS is quite balanced. Bottom has probably 2k more worth of ore but that's negligible. The outcome of most games is determined long before all the ore's depleted. The top sector of the map also has a nice array of garrisons, which are beneficial.

Edited by AaSoVGoD, 08 April 2009 - 06:53 AM.

#57 Isen

Isen

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:35 AM

Balance changes that are needed for RA2 Maps.

Mayday- Change the top left oils so 1 dread rocket only kills 1 oil and not all of them, also make the top left oils so crazy ivan only kills 1 oil at a time.

Defcon 6- Change TL Position so that you can stretch refinery down the Cliff, So Br position wont have an unfair advantage.

South Pacific - Make this map symmetrical so TR position also has an easier time stretching to the gems.

DC Uprising- remove this map, very unbalanced.

Pinch Point- Make symmetrical

These changes would help RA2 Balance

#58 caseybob

caseybob

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:28 PM

Mayday- Change the top left oils so 1 dread rocket only kills 1 oil and not all of them, also make the top left oils so crazy ivan only kills 1 oil at a time.

Defcon 6- Change TL Position so that you can stretch refinery down the Cliff, So Br position wont have an unfair advantage.

South Pacific - Make this map symmetrical so TR position also has an easier time stretching to the gems.

LOL at DC uprising :) I hate that map. I agree on everything here. For sake of balance, Paris Revisited should also undergo some tweaking as the top-left position not only gets gems for their first batch of ore, but also gets gems mid game and can easily go no miners from war and have a steady stream of tanks heading into bottoms base throughout the game while bottom has to turtle and hope to ride out the never ending rush. Although as I mentioned above, I like the parody the way it is. I can see why people in the top 10 might have a problem with it, but in RA2 you can create your own ladder games if you really don't want to risk an unfair map.

And I never knew CS had 9,000 more on the bottom. that would explain why FFGs there always end up with bottom having a few more tanks :p

#59 tRiPPy

tRiPPy

cool

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2469 posts
  • XWIS Name: tRipPy

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:45 AM

request an ra2 qm renovation then!!

#60 Bias

Bias

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 09:45 PM

i find it amazing that you allready know that you'll be rank 10 in august isen, as written in ur sig

#61 Pompski

Pompski

Emilio's Owner

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19855 posts
  • XWIS Name: Pomp

Posted 19 April 2009 - 09:50 PM

And would also require a patch, which wont happen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users