#1 Sub Zero

Sub Zero

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 07:46 PM

Hey,

don't mean to be rude, but I don't want to take a whole lot of your time so I'll make it short.

Basically I want to play a LAN game, first problem I get however is that I run windows vista and IPX/SPX is not available on it, but that is not my only problem. I want to play with someone else who is connected through a VPN and that only handles TCP/IP so even when I get IPX/SPX working here I still can't play a 'LAN' game. Now I've heard about something called tunneling the IPX/SPX connection but I have no idea where to start or how to do it. I'd prefer to do it that way and not through the internet, anyone got any suggestions ?

If not, then anyone got any suggestions to getting it working on regular LAN with IPX/SPX ?

Thanks.

#2 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13446 posts
  • XWIS Name: XTF

Posted 20 May 2008 - 07:50 PM

I'd prefer to do it that way and not through the internet,

Why's that? I assume you do have regular internet connectivity.

#3 zzattack

zzattack

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5357 posts
  • XWIS Name: zzattack

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:02 PM

Hey,

don't mean to be rude, but I don't want to take a whole lot of your time so I'll make it short.

Basically I want to play a LAN game, first problem I get however is that I run windows vista and IPX/SPX is not available on it, but that is not my only problem. I want to play with someone else who is connected through a VPN and that only handles TCP/IP so even when I get IPX/SPX working here I still can't play a 'LAN' game. Now I've heard about something called tunneling the IPX/SPX connection but I have no idea where to start or how to do it. I'd prefer to do it that way and not through the internet, anyone got any suggestions ?

If not, then anyone got any suggestions to getting it working on regular LAN with IPX/SPX ?

Thanks.

You can google for 'hamachi'.

#4 Sub Zero

Sub Zero

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:54 PM

You can google for 'hamachi'.

If that works it'd be great :) I used Hamachi a while back for something else and it didn't really came to mind here. I'll check it out. I'd still need to check out how to fix IPX/SPX on vista but I think I'll manage.

Why's that? I assume you do have regular internet connectivity.

Probably the main reason is that I'm used to playing it through LAN, I've looked at internet connection but it seemed less convenient. I suppose I could use it as a last alternative :)

ps. My compliments on the response time, very very nice to have such a quick response.

I also found this program called Kali, unfortunately its a pay program, anyone perhaps knows a similar free program like Kali ? (http://www.kali.net/)

Edited by Sub Zero, 20 May 2008 - 08:55 PM.

#5 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • 13446 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:58 PM

Probably the main reason is that I'm used to playing it through LAN, I've looked at internet connection but it seemed less convenient. I suppose I could use it as a last alternative :)

Seemed less convenient? Why's that?
And less convenient then what? Setting up and running Hamachi?

#6 Sub Zero

Sub Zero

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 02:45 PM

Seemed less convenient? Why's that?
And less convenient then what? Setting up and running Hamachi?

I thought it was hard to find the person you want to play with but I never tried the buddy system and I suppose you can use it for that ?

Beside that I can't find a Red Alert / Yuri's revenge in our local store so I'm quite ashamed to say I downloaded it, meaning when I try to log in it tells me my serial is invalid which is absolutely correct.

And it seemed less convenient then the LAN lobby, but perhaps it is because I am used to that lobby ?

#7 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • 13446 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 03:41 PM

I thought it was hard to find the person you want to play with but I never tried the buddy system and I suppose you can use it for that ?

Assuming you know his name, it's very easy to find the other person. The internet lobby is a lot like the network lobby.

Beside that I can't find a Red Alert / Yuri's revenge in our local store so I'm quite ashamed to say I downloaded it, meaning when I try to log in it tells me my serial is invalid which is absolutely correct.

Aha. ;)
It should not be a problem to find The First Decade or C&C Saga, which contain both Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge, in your country.

#8 Sub Zero

Sub Zero

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 05:28 PM

Assuming you know his name, it's very easy to find the other person. The internet lobby is a lot like the network lobby.

Aha. ;)
It should not be a problem to find The First Decade or C&C Saga, which contain both Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge, in your country.

Haha I suppose, but you should know us Dutchies, we're cheap ;). Wasn't exactly planning on playing it a whole lot, just the occasional match when we both have time. So after I couldn't find it here I turned to the evil side ;) I'm weak :p

#9 Farscape

Farscape

Ťгยth เš гєlคtivє

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4000 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 05:42 PM

its 5 euro, omg

#10 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • 13446 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 05:45 PM

Haha I suppose, but you should know us Dutchies, we're cheap ;). Wasn't exactly planning on playing it a whole lot, just the occasional match when we both have time. So after I couldn't find it here I turned to the evil side ;) I'm weak :p

Very weak...

#11 Sub Zero

Sub Zero

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 06:16 PM

Haha lol, very well, I admit my weakness :p

In my defence though, my family isn't extremely rich so I was brought up to save money where I could. But I think we are going a bit off topic now :)

Thanks for your replies guys, maybe you'll see me online sometime on RA2 :)

#12 MaximusMeridius

MaximusMeridius

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 09:59 AM

It might be late but go here: http://www.wikihow.com/Play-Red-Alert-2-over-the-Internet

this is what it says if the website were to so happen go down. seems like when you find the post, the link doesnt work lol...

How to Play Red Alert 2 over the Internet

Red Alert 2 is real fun in multiplayer mode!This guide describes how to play Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge over the Internet. RA2 online playing is no longer supported by Westwood so we have to emulate a LAN with Hamachi.
This solution is also the finite solution for all LAN problems with Red Alert 2, because it replaces the deprecated IPX protocol with the UDP protocol.

There is an alternate solution with xwis or pvpgn, providing a true internet game solution withe the built-in online functionality, but I won't mention it here, check http://www.pvpgn.org/ or http://xwis.net/ for more information

[edit] StepsInstall Hamachi basic (free VPN software)
Optionally install Red Alert patch 1.006 and Yuri's Revenge
Make sure that the Hamachi Network Interface has "NWLink IPX" disabled (if it's missing leave as is)
Make sure that your ethernet connection has "NWLink IPX" disabled
Download the UnderStorm Red Alert 2 Patch from http://www.understorm.net/cnc/lan/ts_ra2.php and copy "wsock32.dll" from the downloaded archive to the root folder of your Red Alert 2 installation. - This replaces the deprecated IPX Protocol with the state of the art UDP protocol
Click Start, click Run, type ncpa.cpl , and then click OK.
You can see the available connections in the LAN and High-Speed Internet section of the Network Connections window.

Sorry, only german screenshot available, but you should get the ideaOn the Advanced menu, click Advanced Settings, and then click the Adapters and Bindings tab.

Move Hamachi to the top to select it as the primary adapterIn the Connections area, select the Hamachi connection that you want to move higher in the list. Use the arrow buttons to move the connection to the top. Ensure that all network adapters have their IPX/SPX protocols disabled.
Restart your computer.

RA2Hamachi network for Red Alert Gamers, password: ra2Make sure that all Players have joined the the same hamachi network
Start Red Alert 2
F
Correct Settings, Make sure to reselect the 0000 Adapterrom the main menu, choose Options->Network, Select Network Card, the one starting with 00 00 00 00:00 00 00 00, leave the other stuff empty, click OK This is important to ensure that you select the UDP adapter, otherwise the network won't work. Ensure that you reselect the adapter, even if it is already selected.
Back to main menu->Network.
When you do this you will be seeing your friends if they did the same.

[edit] TipsYou can find the network settings in the Start -> Control Panel -> Network Connections -> Right click on the interface -> Properties
Your ethernet connection is usually called "Local Area Connection"
This solution will also work for modded Red Alert 2 Versions, as long as all players have the same game version
Join our Hamachi network at network name: RA2Hamachi, pw: ra2

[edit] WarningsUsually Hamachi knows how to bypass your firewall / NAT, but in case of failure, try to deactivate your firewalls, or at least to allow Hamachi to connect to the internet
Ensure that all players have the same game version (newest Version is 1.006 for Red Alert 2 and 1.001 for Yuri's Revenge
Ensure that you reselect the adapter, even if it is already selected.
Don't forget to select Hamachi as the primary network binding adapter, or the network will not function correctly

[edit] Things You'll NeedLogmein Hamachi (http://www.hamachi.cc/)
http://www.understorm.net/ Red Alert 2 UDP LAN Patch
Red Alert 2
Optionally Yuri's Revenge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users