#1 Raider

Raider

GLOBAL MODERAIDER

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6574 posts
  • XWIS Name: Raider

Posted 03 October 2005 - 10:15 AM

Here's my idea I just had while eating weetabix... basically I think it's a really cool idea so I made a whole new topic for it. :p

Tag-Team Tournament
Format:
Tag-Team
Set-up: Players to be paired according to pre-determined seedings - this means that players are teamed up with someone they might not normally have experience of playing alongside, and also it means that the teams of players should be balanced as each tag-team will be made up of 2 players of a different skill or playing style.

The seeding would be determined as followed;
A - Players with a history of success in competitive QM and clan ladders, players who have frequently finished in HOF
B - Players of vast experience but less known for QM/Clan success
C - Intermediate players
D - More novice intermediate players

Players seeded as A will be paired with a D seed. While players seeded as B will be paired with C. This should strike an interseting balance.My thinking is that this tourney will test both players skill, their ability to think tactically and most importantly it will test their ability to work in a team.

I haven't totally worked out the concept for seeding - I'm not sure to let each player judge how they think they should be seeded or not.

Opinions people?

#2 thomas338

thomas338

Sun Wukong

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11381 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 04:05 PM

how do you prevent cheating ? for eg ;
what iff some1 who is A takes an other profile and says he s novice and becomes D , than you have got a team off 2 A players :(

Edited by thomas338, 03 October 2005 - 04:06 PM.

#3 Mikey

Mikey

Captain

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4751 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 06:17 PM

Its a nice idea but it will be a bit difficult for us to work out the teams and coordinate it. :(

#4 Wesje

Wesje

Colonel

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8570 posts
  • XWIS Name: Wesje

Posted 03 October 2005 - 06:20 PM

Its a nice idea but it will be a bit difficult for us to work out the teams and coordinate it. :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Who said you have to do it? Maybe he wants to do it himself?

#5 Ry4n

Ry4n

Im Ryan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1940 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 06:22 PM

^^

#6 Raider

Raider

GLOBAL MODERAIDER

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6574 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 08:52 PM

Maybe Wes, maybe. But desolane and rizla are the tried and tested people for organising tourneys, but I'd help out for sure with this idea if I can figure out a seamless way of making the seedings work fairly.

#7 DonCarlo

DonCarlo

Omertan

• ST Retirees
  • 18264 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 07:30 AM

We thought about having a tourny where pros and less experienced players teamed up for teh 10th anniversary tournies. But couldnt think of a fool proof way of doing it so scrapped the idea.

Its defintely an idea I would love to persue if anyone can think of ways of doing it fairly.
I think category A is the easy part.

what iff some1 who is A takes an other profile and says he s novice and becomes D , than you have got a team off 2 A players

We have ways of spotting that, but the whole thing does rely on us knowing each player and their ability well, and making a judgement on which category they should go in.

#8 riz

riz

Oor Wullie! Your Wullie! A'body's Wullie!

• ST Retirees
  • 12374 posts
  • XWIS Name: riz

Posted 04 October 2005 - 09:02 PM

Maybe Wes, maybe. But desolane and rizla are the tried and tested people for organising tourneys, but I'd help out for sure with this idea if I can figure out a seamless way of making the seedings work fairly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mikey deserves as much of the credit as anyone for helping out with the past tourneys, a lot goes on behind the scenes that you guys don't see! anyway, i love the idea except for one thing, team tourneys are doomed to failure IMHO, its pure totally 110% murder trying to get 2 ppl online at the same time never mind 4 or 6 and the organisers get too much atitude from certain members of the community to make it worth our time organising teams and persuading them to be online or to play. The WC and TOE stand as examples.

Maybe a work around could be an invitation only event for this? i would like to see something like this go ahead.

Edited by Rizla, 04 October 2005 - 09:02 PM.

#9 Raider

Raider

GLOBAL MODERAIDER

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6574 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 10:09 PM

Invitational only works fine, maybe our clan could stage a competition 21 Invitational kinda thing, because the most fun tourney I ever played in was the **21** vs *EG* tourney 2 years ago on Official Tournament Map. I forget if it was all 1v1's but mast3rspy won and it was really cool tourney, and most the games got played because of it being invite-only.

It should be simple to stage a Tag-Team Tourney as invite only. :)

#10 riz

riz

Oor Wullie! Your Wullie! A'body's Wullie!

• ST Retirees
  • 12374 posts
  • XWIS Name: riz

Posted 04 October 2005 - 10:16 PM

yeh i've experienced the same 2v2's and 1v1's but that was with jointz and we had 30 ppl show up for it at a predetermined time, but its diferent with clan m8's as ye count on them showing and count on them not singing up if they won't be able to show.

#11 DonCarlo

DonCarlo

Omertan

• ST Retirees
  • 18264 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 12:09 AM

Invitational only works fine, maybe our clan could stage a competition 21 Invitational kinda thing, because the most fun tourney I ever played in was the **21** vs *EG* tourney 2 years ago on Official Tournament Map. I forget  if it was all 1v1's but mast3rspy won and it was really cool tourney, and most the games got played because of it being invite-only.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ahh memories of The OM3RTA/--BA--/Friends tourny we had for Om3rta birthday with 1 OM3RTAN and one --BA-- or friend of OM3rta in each team :wub:

Invitation sounds good. Maybe with some pros and known Trainees

#12 - KanE -

- KanE -

RanK 1 iS My LEaGuE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1077 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 02:51 AM

Count me in when i get the net back.

#13 lib

lib

oOOo BitCh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 03:54 AM

hmmm what about 3v3 clannin in ra2 ?

#14 Walter

Walter

Colonel

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5296 posts
  • XWIS Name: Walter

Posted 05 October 2005 - 04:32 AM

^^ You can only do that on the Chinese Server if you can stand lag :sp_ike:

#15 RazorCutz

RazorCutz

JoKuPreP?!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6737 posts
  • XWIS Name: RaZoRCuTz

Posted 05 October 2005 - 10:45 AM

Invitational only works fine, maybe our clan could stage a competition 21 Invitational kinda thing, because the most fun tourney I ever played in was the **21** vs *EG* tourney 2 years ago on Official Tournament Map. I forget  if it was all 1v1's but mast3rspy won and it was really cool tourney, and most the games got played because of it being invite-only.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wasnt it the *EG* & **21** Ladder? rob and sensei where a close 2nd and Masterspy won.

#16 Raider

Raider

GLOBAL MODERAIDER

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6574 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 11:32 AM

Eh Raz? It was **21** and *EG* and yeah there was a ladder but what do you mean? I think I only bet Freddie and some other guy, I can remember Richan won most his games yeah.

#17 HoTRoY

HoTRoY

-EF- Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2053 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 03:18 PM

count me in that tourney

#18 RazorCutz

RazorCutz

JoKuPreP?!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6737 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 03:49 PM

Eh Raz? It was **21** and *EG* and yeah there was a ladder but what do you mean? I think I only bet Freddie and some other guy, I can remember Richan won most his games yeah.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

nvm its the Alziemers kicking in.

#19 Raider

Raider

GLOBAL MODERAIDER

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6574 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 02:43 PM

Raz I think you and me should organise this Tag Team tourney. Agree? :) We can do it invitational like before, maybe 4 **21** plus others to make maybe 16 players, even 32. Flo is off to uni from today so won't be able to play and red isn't gonna play again till around Xmas time, but rob, phil, you and me could all play in it of course. And maybe Dan... or sword or paper. :p

I'm pretty busy with a lot of stuff but I'd suggest if we scheduled it for the last Friday of the month then that might work.

#20 RazorCutz

RazorCutz

JoKuPreP?!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6737 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 02:54 PM

Raz I think you and me should organise this Tag Team tourney. Agree? :) We can do it invitational like before, maybe 4 **21** plus others to make maybe 16 players, even 32. Flo is off to uni from today so won't be able to play and red isn't gonna play again till around Xmas time, but rob, phil, you and me could all play in it of course. And maybe Dan... or sword or paper. :p

I'm pretty busy with a lot of stuff but I'd suggest if we scheduled it for the last Friday of the month then that might work.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

err sure, no idiots who dont show and and make it European only, i dont wanna wake up at 6am just to tourney

#21 Raider

Raider

GLOBAL MODERAIDER

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6574 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 03:39 PM

Yeah obviously, lets wait a bit to see if any good old enemies from Euro come back once WOL is fully redirected. Then we can hold the tourney. :p

#22 NaCoTiX

NaCoTiX

**21** RedSquad4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2049 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 09:19 PM

im in

#23 Raider

Raider

GLOBAL MODERAIDER

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6574 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 10:04 PM

cool :xmas:

#24 desoLane

desoLane

gg player

• ST Retirees
  • 10467 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 10:49 AM

Things are shaping up B)

#25 [-BA-] Piscinex

[-BA-] Piscinex

~~~~~~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 01:13 AM

It's a great idea. We did a similar idea when I was in DGNF a couple of years ago: there was a mix of experienced and inexperienced players at the tournament (and quite a divide between them) so every good player was paired with a worse player. The challenge was then to try and train your partner and work out some good stategies that you both could pull off.

Sadly it proved difficult to get people to play games because it often ended up with 4 people in different timezones trying to arrange games...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users