#1 PATRIOT15

PATRIOT15

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • XWIS Name: PATR1OT

Posted 07 February 2010 - 12:27 PM

Does any people that know psihology exists on this forum? I have a trouble with the game. i'm playing for 1,5 year. And now understand, that Ra2 not only userfull when I need to kill time, but also it harmfull for me. I'm was playing Ra2, with purpuse to become better, to beat all players, and may be to be the best in feauture. But then, this game became like a drug for me. After playing it for a long time for example 2 days, I would become very sleepy and very retarded in real life. When u see everything like in for, it also dangerous when u drive car in such bad condition. When I came home, I needed to play RA2, if I didnt play it for example for 1 day, i feeled like i mist something this day. After hours of playing it, was very hard to think about something.

So, I didnt play RA2 for 1,5 month, I droped it and decided not to return in this game. Afraid it like drugs)) But i still want to launch it and play internet. Can I do it? Or its better not evin touch this game, if I refused it. I feel myself much better in real life without RA2, but still sometimes want to play it.

English text was more difficult to write for me then earlier, I evin wean from comunicating in english :)

Edited by PATRIOT15, 07 February 2010 - 04:03 PM.

#2 CROmaestr

CROmaestr

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 01:42 PM

my girlfriend is a psychologist, which pretty much makes me a psychologist...

everything is in your head m8, you got to have a strong mind to succeed in this, dont be a ****, delete ra2 and kick some **** in college, school or work

#3 XXxPrePxX

XXxPrePxX

King of Yuris Revenge

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8536 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 04:52 PM

When I came home, I needed to play RA2, if I didnt play it for example for 1 day, i feeled like i mist something this day. After hours of playing it, was very hard to think about something.

Yes yes yes, this is the feeling I've had for 9 years. LoL.

#4 warhero99

warhero99

Captain

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1335 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:03 PM

You guys want to talk psychology? So be it.

What you describe is indeed a fact, Patriot. It is officially video game addiction, not just the exclusive province of RA2. In mild form it can have a significant effect on day to day life and in the accomplishment our real-life goals and objectives. In acute form it can make the affected person's life centre totally and exclusively on the game(s) in question, severely affecting relationships as well, and believe it or not can even kill. Yes, there have been cases of extremely addicted players who died from exhaustion of playing online games, nonstop for days and weeks on end, without sleeping or eating.

When it comes to addiction, massively multiplayer games are very distinct from single-player games for various reasons. One is the social aspect of massively multiplayer games. When playing these, you form social relationships and bonds with like-minded people who have similar interests to you: you make friends and acquaintances; friendships develop into solidified groups and clans. For those who get through the initial barrage of indifference and mistreatment which is typically endured by new members, these relationships are one of the decisive factors which keep a player coming back for more. This is particularly true for individuals who feel unsatisfied with their real life relationships. MMO's also allow people to try on social roles and positions which may not be available for them in their offline lives. They may become organizers or clan leaders and try on authority roles, for example. Members may also crave respect from other people, which for one reason or another may not be present in desirable levels in their offline lives. Another factor is the "sense of belonging" which MMO's can offer to players.
There is also what is called the need for achievement: players may dedicate inordinate amounts of time to outperform others and become the best of the best at the game in question, because of their psychological need to feel they excel at something, that something makes them better, smarter, or superior in some way to other people. The importance of this psychological need cannot be understated.

MMO's can sometimes be an enticing escape from a mundane or overly problematic existence. This is true for all types of video games: they can be an important form of escapism. It is with massively multiplayer ones, however, where the most potential exists for it to get out of hand.

Humans have important psychological needs and when these are not met by our real lives, the world of the 21st century has provided an escape route: massively multiplayer video games and online communities, which allow people to fulfil these needs from the comfort of their home or internet cafe. Of course, there are also players who do not have these problems, whose lives are fulfilling in most aspects, but also play MMO's. The big difference is that such people rarely get addicted.

The truth is that there is nothing socially shameful about being addicted to video games, even though not everyone sees it that way. It is for ourselves, not for how society may or may not think of us, that we should try to keep gaming and other forms of escapism under control, instead of allowing it to control us.

My advice would be the following: With sufficient willpower, it is possible to break the cycle which enslaves someone to an online game, but it can be incredibly tough if the circumstances that precipitated the addiction persevere. For the period of time immediately following withdrawal there will most likely be a strong compulsion to return, and there may be significant psychological effects. But if you feel that it may be hard for you to stop once you begin, by all means delete the game or games in question and do not look back. Look to other, more constructive, more worthwhile things which will hold your interest and fulfil your psychological needs, and ultimately, you will be much better off.

#5 PATRIOT15

PATRIOT15

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:47 PM

warhero99

Thanks for explaining. But nothing was said about described condition of mind. I remember, when people were explaining to me important things, for example about car. And I couldnt understand. When person became explaining, I could remember first sentence and couldnt remember others, couldnt understand what I must do. I didnt want to ask again, because I could be looking very stupid. And I was looking so stupid because it was hard for me to think about something.

After I refused from playing, i found that things, that were so difficult for me, became very EASY. My memory started to work good, and i can now remember the whole explaination. And thats why I'm afraid evin launch RA2. I played some games on PC in single, but in single play u dont purpuse to rape some ones ****, so its free mode for u, and u dont get tired. What about online in RA2, I said, it f***'s the whole head, because all my powers given into game fight.

#6 warhero99

warhero99

Captain

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1335 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 12:34 AM

hey patriot,

The symptom and states of mind that you describe are indeed those found in MMOG addiction, at a moderate level.

One of the reasons why such psychological effects manifest themselves, is because when the addiction reaches a certain level, the mental dedication to the game does not by any means stop when we press the "quit" button and go do something else. As you said yourself, we may be driving, trying to work, reading, talking to someone etc, but the game remains in our minds no matter what we may be trying to do. "wow, xxxx sure beat the *** out of me last night, gonna show him who's boss when I get back home", "I wonder if zzzz will be getting on anytime soon, havent seen her in ages! Did she quit or wtf?","Dammit, Clan Noobs-on-Wheels has 10 more wins than ours this month. Gotta send word to everyone in Clan Nabs-on-Bikes so that we kick their *** on Saturday on Country Swing.","Gotta find someone to teach me better Soviet bo's or I'm going to be the laughing stock of the lobby", "Looks like ZZZ learned his lesson on Dry heat two days ago. He'll be bailing me for 5 years straight after what I did to him (mental chuckle)."....

This has two effects: it prevents one from concentrating and often succeeding in real life activities. And it is also mentally exhausting. The mental resources, dedication, and attention which should go towards achieving more worthwhile goals, instead go towards improving and eventually perfecting our in-game skills, getting socially involved with other players, finding/founding a good clan, keeping our rank up, trying to find the right strategy to defeat our long time rival, learning new maps, staying constantly abreast of events in the community... the list goes on and on.
There is nothing wrong with this if it is relegated to a position of secondary importance within our lives, relative to our real-life goals. The game has its time and place, during which we can devote our attention and dedication to it fully. But when that time is up, we have to be able to forget about it and turn our attention and devotion to other matters. An addict cannot easily do this; indeed, it is partially an unconscious process (that compulsion to return to the game when we should be doing something else is our unconscious mind at work), albeit one that we can influence through our conscious decisions.
This is what makes the difference between a non-addicted player and an addict. This is what makes the difference between controlling the game, or the game controlling us.

After I refused from playing, i found that things, that were so difficult for me, became very EASY. My memory started to work good,

Exactly. You were able to break the addiction and your mental resources were no longer taxed by a constant concern for the game and everything that it involves. Additionally, despite what non-gamers may say, playing a video game for highly excessive periods of time, particularly against or with other people, is tiring and consuming, just as much as working excessively. The fact that you quit freed up your mind and your energy for other processes and tasks.

and i can now remember the whole explaination.

Which one? Mine? :p

I played some games on PC in single, but in single play u dont purpuse to rape some ones ****, so its free mode for u, and u dont get tired.

Precisely. What you mention here is one branch of the social aspect of MMO's, and that aspect alone makes a world of difference between them and single player games.

I already discussed in my previous post, some of the more important reasons why this type of addiction takes hold on people. MMO addiction takes hold in our lives when something is lacking in them, when our psychological needs are not being met for one reason or another. The addict will initially need sufficient willpower so as to distance themselves from the game initially. But it is surprisingly and deceptively easy for the addiction to resurface: for instance, a player may find themselves returning to the game, "only to kill a couple hours with the old crowd". 2 days later they may well be still online, having passed every moment of free time at their disposal playing. The addiction has at this point resurfaced. Therefore, in order for lasting, beneficial change to take place in those who keep falling into their old habits, the person must find a more constructive way to achieve their psychological needs. What this exactly means will be unique to the situation of each person.

And thats why I'm afraid evin launch RA2.

This is how I see it: if we know its unlikely that we will be able to keep a potentially addictive activity under control, and that activity will be harmful if we get addicted to it, then don't do it from the first place. Dont just dont launch RA2; delete it, remove the shortcuts, make a registry scan and wipe out all its keys, take out anything that has to do with it. You come out the bigger man by proving your dominance over the game.

#7 BlueBala

BlueBala

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12219 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 01:19 AM

my girlfriend is a psychologist, which pretty much makes me a psychologist...

How :huh:

#8 dsector

dsector

Captain

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3696 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 04:47 AM

PATRIOT15 always give yourself limits in life and never let a game come in the way of the important things (family & friends especially). I don't see why you should stop playing the game altogether... rather try to limit yourself to only a couple of hours of ra2 a week.

Good luck.

#9 truefeel

truefeel

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1588 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 03:02 PM

Quit with playing games. Some people are just not made for it. Good thing you found out yourself that something was wrong, b/c there are alot of cases where people did not even realise their situation.

Edited by truefeel, 08 February 2010 - 03:04 PM.

#10 warhero99

warhero99

Captain

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1335 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 03:44 PM

Quit with playing games. Some people are just not made for it. Good thing you found out yourself that something was wrong, b/c there are alot of cases where people did not even realise their situation.

Yo whats up truefeel, :)

Some people are just not made for it.

I think that getting addicted to video games is not a matter of being or not being made for it as people; I think it has more to do with the circumstances that people find themselves in when they are playing regularly, for the reasons already stated in my other posts. And we are not just talking traumatic events here: boredom and insatisfaction with offline activities are often catalysts for the addiction to take hold.

Quit with playing games.

Would be useful to make a distinction between MMo's and single player games here.

Good thing you found out yourself that something was wrong, b/c there are alot of cases where people did not even realise their situation.

Yep. I think, however, that Patriot has demonstrated quite a bit of self confidence bringing this up: there are some who while secretly knowing that they are or were addicted, would hate that fact from becoming public knowledge because it would be a blow to their ego.

#11 CROmaestr

CROmaestr

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 04:46 PM

noob

#12 warhero99

warhero99

Captain

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1335 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 04:53 PM

noob

LOL

#13 truefeel

truefeel

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1588 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:39 PM

I think that getting addicted to video games is not a matter of being or not being made for it as people; I think it has more to do with the circumstances that people find themselves in when they are playing regularly, for the reasons already stated in my other posts. And we are not just talking traumatic events here: boredom and insatisfaction with offline activities are often catalysts for the addiction to take hold.

Some people have a high resistance to addictions, some have it totally not. If that is a consequence of education, something you are born with or a combination of both, I don't know, but it is true that some people better stay away from games b/c they can't resist the urge to play more. You have to make also a distinct difference between just playing games more b/c out of boredom and playing more b/c out of addiction. I know, one can be the consequence of the other, but I think such situations are only a minor factor. I think you can compare this with drinking alcohol: Some people don't get addicted, some have to be carefull and others better stay the hell away from it.

Would be useful to make a distinction between MMo's and single player games here.

The way Patriot described his problem it's better for him to only play games once and a while. MMo's are more intence, yes, but single player games could trigger also an urge to play more or to play MMo's again.

Yep. I think, however, that Patriot has demonstrated quite a bit of self confidence bringing this up: there are some who while secretly knowing that they are or were addicted, would hate that fact from becoming public knowledge because it would be a blow to their ego.

Although it a good thing he talks about it, bringing this into the open is alot easier on the internet (read Reano's lessons about attitudes at internet :p) then in real life. For a person it would not matter alot if he as akward moments on the internet (and note that this topic not that at all).

#14 warhero99

warhero99

Captain

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1335 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:02 PM

You have to make also a distinct difference between just playing games more b/c out of boredom and playing more b/c out of addiction. I know, one can be the consequence of the other, but I think such situations are only a minor factor.

It depends what level of boredom and dissatisfaction with real life we are talking about. I think that in some cases these states of mind can be a decisive factor leading to addiction.

The way Patriot described his problem it's better for him to only play games once and a while. MMo's are more intence, yes, but single player games could trigger also an urge to play more or to play MMo's again.

Good point there. It really depends on how much willpower the person in question has at their disposal, but the social aspect of MMO's remains one of their major hooks for the reasons I previously described. This is not a problem for single player games.

Although it a good thing he talks about it, bringing this into the open is alot easier on the internet (read Reano's lessons about attitudes at internet :p ) then in real life. For a person it would not matter alot if he as akward moments on the internet (and note that this topic not that at all).

Well thats true for some people, but for instance, I have dealt with some some video game addicts who, at the mere mention that the game was their life, either switched subjects or started letting out torrents of abuse. Just more proof on how hooked they were. Hence the credit I give to Patriot. ;)

#15 truefeel

truefeel

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1588 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:47 PM

It depends what level of boredom and dissatisfaction with real life we are talking about. I think that in some cases these states of mind can be a decisive factor leading to addiction.

Some cases: yes. how frequent those cases are, relatively speaking, is I think an other story.

Good point there. It really depends on how much willpower the person in question has at their disposal, but the social aspect of MMO's remains one of their major hooks for the reasons I previously described. This is not a problem for single player games.

Like I said, it is comparable to alcohol or even drugs: some people can resist the temptation with a problem, others can't. Willpower is certainly a factor, but things like susceptibility to addiction are a major factor too imo.

#16 PATRIOT15

PATRIOT15

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:57 PM

Thanks ofcourse, but I didnt have a problem like publishing confident indormation. I saw videos with Marko, Tommi, and many other good players, they playing very good, it would be very surpriseing for if they wouldnt have same problems like I have. Also I finded that evin if u wanna become better, u musnt play every day, because this stuff getting u exhasted, and evin in game u cant play 100% as good as u can.

#17 tom2cool

tom2cool

b00 ya!

• Members
  • 11168 posts
  • XWIS Name: c0oL4tom

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:14 PM

I was obsessed with Ra2 from the age of 13 .5 to about 16 . 5 so a good 3 years of being obsessed with getting better and beating people and becoming a well respected player. Which I did.

the only thign which made me stop was the fact i went to 6th form ( college ) and had a bigger social life and went out on weekends alot more drinking. Also S-t banned me too much soI couldnt keep intouch with the community so I quit for good untill this past summer - where I got obsessed again. Now I dont have a good labtop mouse to play

#18 truefeel

truefeel

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1588 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:33 PM

Kinda same for me what applies to tom2cool, except that I did not get addicted again. I really would not trade my old life for what I have now.

#19 warhero99

warhero99

Captain

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1335 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:41 PM

Well all the better for you guys :)

#20 warhero99

warhero99

Captain

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1335 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:05 PM

I was obsessed with Ra2 from the age of 13 .5 to about 16 . 5 so a good 3 years of being obsessed with getting better and beating people and becoming a well respected player. Which I did.

There is also what is called the need for achievement: players may dedicate inordinate amounts of time to outperform others and become the best of the best at the game in question, because of their psychological need to feel they excel at something, that something makes them better, smarter, or superior in some way to other people. The importance of this psychological need cannot be understated.

:)

I think Patriot had a good idea bringing this matter up: its made other people speak up their views and experiences on the topic, which they might have not otherwise have done. And the thread is coming off all the richer.

#21 BlueBala

BlueBala

Commander

• Members
  • 12219 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:23 PM

noob

Lol, just because your girlfriend is a psychologist doesn't mean you're one too. :D My girlfriend is a cop so I'm going to get a on her cop car and arrest people because since I'm dating a cop, I must be one too right? :mellow:

#22 tom2cool

tom2cool

b00 ya!

• Members
  • 11168 posts
  • XWIS Name: c0oL4tom

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:26 PM

Kinda same for me what applies to tom2cool, except that I did not get addicted again. I really would not trade my old life for what I have now.

Well yeah same, I'm too old with better things to do now I'm at uni - Although i just spend my free time at the gym or on the internet..

Over summer being at home having nothign better to do Ra2 was awesome

I wouldnt change my ra2 career for anything as it was such a fun time

#23 kshai359

kshai359

Sergeant

• Duplicate account
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:24 AM

it's much more fun being addicted to smak

#24 bloodr4yn

bloodr4yn

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:45 PM

Yes yes yes, this is the feeling I've had for 9 years. Lol

same here :)

#25 TimmyJohn

TimmyJohn

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1332 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:59 PM

I've been a little nerd since i was a kid. i beat super mario world when i was 7 lol. i love playing games, but i often get delusional or feel like garbage when i play them. il;l often game for a week and then stop playing and work on a social life for a few months.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users