15 replies to this topic

#1 ClassAct

ClassAct

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:53 AM

So I recently installed Windows 7 RTM (was running RC) and reinstalled RA2. Went into the RA2.ini file to customize my resolution to 1280x800 and when I went to join a custom multiplayer game it said that I need to reduce my resolution to 640x480. I've read through the HELP archives in the forums and it seems this problem was encountered with YR and you can only play custom resolutions in multiplayer as the host. Anyone had this issue with RA2?

Error Message: "This game is limited to a resolution of 640x480. Would you like to change your resolution now?"

I've played with custom resolutions before just fine. Not sure what changed after installing this latest version of Windows.

Edited by ClassAct, 09 December 2009 - 08:14 AM.

#2 NeoGrant

NeoGrant

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14917 posts
  • XWIS Name: neo

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:35 AM

Extract and install http://xwis.net/forums/index.php?au...&showfile=7

FYI an easier way to change to a larger resolution instead of editing the ra2.ini is to type hires into the main menu of red alert 2, then select a higher resolution in options.

#3 ClassAct

ClassAct

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:23 AM

when I try to run the patch it tells me:

"Unable to open GAME.EXE
Please make sure the game is not running,
and no other program has opened GAME.EXE"

Even tried running it in safe mode. Nothing is running. Restarted my computer and it still gives the same error message.

Edited by ClassAct, 09 December 2009 - 09:23 AM.

#4 NeoGrant

NeoGrant

Commander

• Members
  • 14917 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:00 PM

Have you extracted the zip file? You cannot run the patch in a zip file, it must be taken out of the zip that you downloaded.

#5 ClassAct

ClassAct

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:13 PM

yes, i extracted it first. Does it need to be ran in a certain folder?

#6 NeoGrant

NeoGrant

Commander

• Members
  • 14917 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:20 PM

try running it in the following: RedAlert2\Internet

#7 ClassAct

ClassAct

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:31 PM

still not working. Really strange. Any other suggestions?

ok, just solved it. Apparently you need to have "Run As Administrator" checked for both the game.exe file and for the RA2-QM-Resolution-patch.exe file and the RA2-QM-Resolution-patch.exe file needs to run in compatibility mode (I chose XP service pack 3). Might want to sticky this somewhere, since alot of people may be going to Win 7 Ultimate in the near future.

This also solved my initial problem of not being able to use custom resolutions in custom multiplayer games. Thanks!!!

Edited by ClassAct, 09 December 2009 - 07:35 PM.

#8 NeoGrant

NeoGrant

Commander

• Members
  • 14917 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:40 PM

Thanks for letting us know
Problem resolved

#9 turbozob

turbozob

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

Links are down. Everytime I want to join a game I got message that game is limited to 640 resolution?

#10 NeoGrant

NeoGrant

Commander

• Members
  • 14917 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:57 PM

Hello

You can take a look here http://xwis.net/forums/index.php/topic/171448-read-me-first/ (Where you can download our game installers - includes all the latest patches needed)

Or you can apply the latest update to an install already: http://xwis.net/forums/index.php/files/category/3-red-alert-2/

#11 turbozob

turbozob

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

Yes, I have downloaded RA2 Multiplayer,YR Multiplayer and WOLAPI. Installed all me and my friend. I have 1920x1080 resolution and he has 1600x900, but everytime I join whatever game the message is shown "this game is limited to screen resolution of 640x480" If I or he accept this, the host will play at set resolution but other will be on 640x480? I cannot apply "YR QM Resolution Patch" since gamemd,exe is not there.Same resolution problem is on the first decade install game. This is happening in Yuri, I will try the RA2.

Thanks

Edit: Red Alert 2 works. Different resolutions, joined and played game runs fine. 

Edited by turbozob, 13 February 2013 - 05:19 PM.

#12 turbozob

turbozob

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

Yuri Revenge has this issue. Solution?

YURI_RES_LIMIT_zps934ddb66.jpg

#13 NeoGrant

NeoGrant

Commander

• Members
  • 14917 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

Have you applied the Yuri's revenge update? http://xwis.net/forums/index.php/files/category/7-yuris-revenge/

Or installed Yuri's revenge with the updates already installed? http://xwis.net/forums/index.php/files/file/10-yuris-revenge-multiplayer/

#14 turbozob

turbozob

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

Yes as I wrote in later post "Yes, I have downloaded RA2 Multiplayer,YR Multiplayer and WOLAPI" and of course did install else I would not be in game. I did not install yuri update since it should be in YR multiplayer...

Btw If I run the game from The First Decade with tfd-103-rev4 patch, no resolution limits are shown, so it works...

#15 NeoGrant

NeoGrant

Commander

• Members
  • 14917 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

Hmm Odd! Are you running Yuri's Revenge.exe, how did you change the resolution? Typing hires and then changing in options?

#16 turbozob

turbozob

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

Ok so I have Installed the Yuri Revenge update and now works for both PCs. I have installed on both PC's Yuri Multiplayer which has the update, but it did not work. After installing update it works...

I did change resolution with "hires" and then in ra2md.ini also adding videbackbuffer=no. It seems like the patch is not included in Yuri Multiplayer or I don't know, it did not work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users