#1 PiNeRs

PiNeRs

2v2er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • XWIS Name: djaningar

Posted 11 November 2015 - 05:38 AM

An interesting thought for you guys. Indeed, some maps are better than others-- and by better I mean more competitive. What makes a map competitive is how dynamic, skill-based, hard to cheese, and balanced it is. Isle of war, for example, has none of these qualities, whereas snow valley has all of them.

In 2v2 this is much more apparent due to the additional players on the map. Naturally, majority of the maps are not so good for competitive play. The following is a tier list of what I consider the playable 2v2 maps. Each will be assigned what I am now calling a "piner- power-rating", which is an arbitrary bs #  given simply to point out how I perceive the severity in the difference of competitiveness between the maps. Worth noting that majority of maps would get darn close to 0.

Tier1: Ace maps                             PPR

1. Heck freezes over corners          13.89
2. Jungle of Vietnam                       12.43

Hands down the best maps in the game. If u want to test who is better and you want the best quality games, these are the maps to play.

Tier2: Competitive substitutes

3. Desert Island                              10.57     
4. Coldest Peak                              9.77
5. Divide and Conquer                    9.50         

Although there is nothing like heck or jungle, ya gotta change it up sometimes. These are the go-to's. Desert the clear #3.

Tier3: The Change-ups

6. Caverns of Siberia                    9.00
7. Snow on Fire                             8.75
8. Snow valley                               8.29

9. Tour of Egypt                            8.24

Still legit games on these maps, but the quality begins to dwindle at this tier.

Tier4: For LoLz, but still competitive

10. Alaskan Outback                          8.03
11. Bull Run                                        7.61
12. Klondike Gold                               6.44

Tier5: worthy once in a blue moon

13. Montana DMZ                               6.13
14. The green Mile                              5.46

15. South Pacific                                 4.88  

16. Hammer and sickle                       4.82

#2 LBL

LBL

Mr. Rank 1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • XWIS Name: LBL

Posted 11 November 2015 - 06:23 AM

imo snow valley is 8.28, m8.

#3 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 07:41 AM

Interesting list frank

I think two other good maps are

Lowlands
North Waves

Imo the centre of desert island is too tightly guarded from the level above, with those overlooking piers. Also, the ramp gradient is too steep, otherwise cool map

#4 hardman

hardman

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10521 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 01:17 PM

Love how you have been able to rate the maps to two decimal places!

#5 Edd

Edd

I LoVe LiZa

• Bounty Hunters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4105 posts
  • XWIS Name: Edd

Posted 11 November 2015 - 09:12 PM

Nice list.

I agree with about 90 % of it.

Imo,  Divide and Caverns should be switched and I'd have Country Swing added and ahead of TOE due to it being an oldschool classic 2v2 map. 

#6 Sustanon

Sustanon

LeGeNd SiRaLeX gl hf no eat etc gg 100% FairPlay

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 03:17 AM

Lol, Montana DMZ is actually a pretty decent 2v2 map also where is Country Swing?

Just because you feel like you're at a disadvantage for playing allies on those maps, it doesn't mean they're not competitive. Sheesh, learn to play!

#7 PiNeRs

PiNeRs

2v2er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 03:49 AM

The reason DMZ is not higher is because the TR position is unnecessarily advantageous. Sure, any team can win on any map but starting with a para and really well placed defensive garrison structures gives ya an undeserved edge. Also, the location of the gems creates awkward situations

It is my humble opinion that, despite its CM popularity in the past, cs is one of the worst maps in the game because it doesn't have any of the criteria of a competitive map. It is by no means dynamic, it is the easiest map in the game to rush successfully on(cheese), it is strategically oversimplified, economically awkward, and hugely advantageous for bottom in tvb, oh, and yes, the team I use is unusable.  

#8 ExpaNd

ExpaNd

RanDoMiZer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3828 posts
  • XWIS Name: ExpaNd

Posted 12 November 2015 - 01:00 PM

You 2v2ers and your limited maps, smh.

Wheres head for the hills?
Or lost lake?

I know its not yr where u can pick your spot. But there are other good 2v2 maps you know...

#9 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 01:51 PM

land rush defcon 6

in all seriousness I think coldest peak is by far the best 2v2 map, allied or soviet both works, position doesnt matter and there isnt 200k worth of gems in the middle, tons of entrances, etc.

Edited by Seke, 12 November 2015 - 01:52 PM.

#10 Edd

Edd

I LoVe LiZa

• Bounty Hunters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4105 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 05:01 PM

in all seriousness I think coldest peak is by far the best 2v2 map, allied or soviet both works, position doesnt matter and there isnt 200k worth of gems in the middle, tons of entrances, etc.

One of the best, for sure. A lot better than Jungle IMO. 

#11 XXxPrePxX

XXxPrePxX

King of Yuris Revenge

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8536 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 05:16 PM

It is my humble opinion that, despite its CM popularity in the past, cs is one of the worst maps in the game because it doesn't have any of the criteria of a competitive map. It is by no means dynamic, it is the easiest map in the game to rush successfully on(cheese), it is strategically oversimplified, economically awkward, and hugely advantageous for bottom in tvb, oh, and yes, the team I use is unusable.

I'm right there with you. For me, there have been average-level players capable of beating me on CS in my time. This is due to the over-simplification of the map.

I can't fault the logic in this thread, all points by Piners are accurate, but I will say:

You 2v2ers and your limited maps, smh.

Wheres head for the hills?
Or lost lake?

I know its not yr where u can pick your spot. But there are other good 2v2 maps you know...

Yes! People always needed to branch out on Ra2. Artic Circle, bay of pigs, etc. are nice maps!

#12 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:13 PM

Jungle looks nicer 😁

And I like games there better too 😁

#13 PiNeRs

PiNeRs

2v2er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:13 PM

Head for hills, artic, bay of pig, lost lake.....Maps with dispersed oil derricks did not make my list for a reason. Granted, these maps are great for 1on1, but with 4 players on the map it is too difficult to evenly distribute oils among the players. Dog luck becomes a key factor...not what your looking for if u want ggs.

One of the best, for sure. A lot better than Jungle IMO. 

I'm curious to why? 

I think jungle is so good because tvb, lvr, and corners all create entirely different, sometimes even completely unique game states, whereas on coldest peak it essentially functions as a corners game, with the bases being so open to immediate and constant attack. On jungle you get exactly this  if its corners, but you can also get long game with lvr with navy being a factor, or something cool like mass chrono legions, and tvb it has the straight-up feel of heck. 

#14 Edd

Edd

I LoVe LiZa

• Bounty Hunters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4105 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 02:05 AM

I'm curious to why? 

I think jungle is so good because tvb, lvr, and corners all create entirely different, sometimes even completely unique game states, whereas on coldest peak it essentially functions as a corners game, with the bases being so open to immediate and constant attack. On jungle you get exactly this  if its corners, but you can also get long game with lvr with navy being a factor, or something cool like mass chrono legions, and tvb it has the straight-up feel of heck. 

This is exactly the reason it's a great map, imo. It's open with a lot of split possibilities and teamwork oriented whereas Jungle, despite it being a good map aswell, is too campy with not a lot of room to split. The majority of the games on jungle (if it hasnt ended in 5 min) ends on people sitting back with their entire army(sovs) just waiting for ore to be finished with the occasional "fake pushes" or (allies) sitting back with everything except rockys. 

I personally wouldn't say that TvB in Jungle is like heck. Throughout a game, Heck becomes a war of splits and control over mid territory, whereas mentioned before, Jungle is just a sit and wait for the time to go in. 

I like Jungle. I've had great games on it. I would just rank Coldest Peak over Jungle due to playstyles. 

Everyone has different play styles and each map benefits a certain player more than another due to their style. For example, a player like ZL4T4n might like small maps where he can sell mcv at x # of miners and make 100 dogs to rush. So maps like CS, DMZ, TOE, DH etc. benefit him as oppose to someone who likes to camp most games.  

Edited by Edd, 13 November 2015 - 02:06 AM.

#15 PiNeRs

PiNeRs

2v2er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 05:24 AM

This is exactly the reason it's a great map, imo. It's open with a lot of split possibilities and teamwork oriented whereas Jungle, despite it being a good map aswell, is too campy with not a lot of room to split. The majority of the games on jungle (if it hasnt ended in 5 min) ends on people sitting back with their entire army(sovs) just waiting for ore to be finished with the occasional "fake pushes" or (allies) sitting back with everything except rockys. 

I personally wouldn't say that TvB in Jungle is like heck. Throughout a game, Heck becomes a war of splits and control over mid territory, whereas mentioned before, Jungle is just a sit and wait for the time to go in. 

I like Jungle. I've had great games on it. I would just rank Coldest Peak over Jungle due to playstyles. 

Everyone has different play styles and each map benefits a certain player more than another due to their style. For example, a player like ZL4T4n might like small maps where he can sell mcv at x # of miners and make 100 dogs to rush. So maps like CS, DMZ, TOE, DH etc. benefit him as oppose to someone who likes to camp most games.  

I would describe it as positional, or strategic. I don't prefer tactical games over strategic games, I like them both. Dat dem der meta-game is real, even if I'm the only one thinking about it  :sly:  :pimp:  .

l0l just playin.......

But seriously. L0L. Nono, i see what ur saying. Jungle is surely slower-paced. Although I don't experience it as "sit and wait". I  think about my previous encounters with an opponent during load-up and the time my waractory is placed, and my next set of descions is a matter of contemplating my understanding of the map and trying to make long-term plans based on my impression of the evolving game state. Heck and coldest peak are in-ur-face tactical craziness where most of the thinking is in the moment, which you prefer. I find jungle to be the map where I'm doing the most long-term planning, which I find really intense and fun. Like you said ofc, it's matter of taste.   

#16 Edd

Edd

I LoVe LiZa

• Bounty Hunters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4105 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 05:50 AM

I would describe it as positional, or strategic. I don't prefer tactical games over strategic games, I like them both. Dat dem der meta-game is real, even if I'm the only one thinking about it  :sly:  :pimp:  .

l0l just playin.......

But seriously. L0L. Nono, i see what ur saying. Jungle is surely slower-paced. Although I don't experience it as "sit and wait". I  think about my previous encounters with an opponent during load-up and the time my waractory is placed, and my next set of descions is a matter of contemplating my understanding of the map and trying to make long-term plans based on my impression of the evolving game state. Heck and coldest peak are in-ur-face tactical craziness where most of the thinking is in the moment, which you prefer. I find jungle to be the map where I'm doing the most long-term planning, which I find really intense and fun. Like you said ofc, it's matter of taste.   

I think everyone has a plan when they start a game. I mean, you can't really play ra2 and be successful if you aren't strategic.

Steff and I sometimes talk during loading screen/start of the game on what our strategy will be during the game then we apply our tactics. 

The whole explanation about Heck games and people splitting and trying to gain control over mid is a perfect example of strategy. You're in mid with tanks to assume control of the area so that you can end up building there. 

It's true, I like chaotic games more than I do sitting. That's why it's my job to split and make you move around, but I can't really do that in Jungle.. cuz it's so compact. 

It may be just me... :blush:

Edited by Edd, 13 November 2015 - 05:51 AM.

#17 Mikoz

Mikoz

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7094 posts
  • XWIS Name: Palacio

Posted 13 November 2015 - 04:05 PM

Country Swing should be included.

"more" is not always better.

Keep it basic and hardcore.

#18 hardman

hardman

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • 10521 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 05:24 PM

I agree, some of the simple maps have been my favourite. Like dry heat as well tho is unbalanced sov vs allies especially on ra2. Sov vs sov a great map.

Edited by hardman, 13 November 2015 - 05:25 PM.

#19 AirPowerBro

AirPowerBro

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5755 posts
  • XWIS Name: Brother

Posted 13 November 2015 - 10:17 PM

Arctic circle. 10 units. France.

#20 hardman

hardman

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • 10521 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 09:28 AM

Carl. Pwns. Noob.

Edited by hardman, 14 November 2015 - 09:28 AM.

#21 DylHole

DylHole

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4864 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 12:34 AM

Yeah Lowlands is really cool... 

:down:

#22 Edd

Edd

I LoVe LiZa

• Bounty Hunters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4105 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 05:49 AM

I fell in love with Desert Island after the first game I played there. I have to rate Desert Island a 13.88 in the PPR scale. Great 2v2 map. 

#23 Mikoz

Mikoz

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7094 posts
  • XWIS Name: Palacio

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:04 AM

I fell in love with Desert Island after the first game I played there. I have to rate Desert Island a 13.88 in the PPR scale. Great 2v2 map.

Desert Island, nice map :)

#24 PiNeRs

PiNeRs

2v2er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:54 PM

Country Swing should be included.

Yes, you're right country swing is a good little 2v2 map.

However, it is not good enough to be a "staple" 2v2, like say, heck or jungle. It is more of a "every once in a while map". Not a.... "GO COUNTY SWING CUZ ITS PRO" type of map. Its good because its rather unique; both teams often work from a single base type of game, with unique strategies that go with it.

if i were to revise the list, desert and heck would be close in PPR rating. Desert might even take the #1 spot-- who knows.

I must say bull run is a very underrated map for 2v2. 

#25 HCKiD

HCKiD

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1347 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 03:34 PM

cs sucks hard its a bs map in 1v1 and 2v2.

Desert Island best 2v2 map in the pool IMO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users