#1 Babak

Babak

Commander

• Bounty Hunters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13030 posts
  • XWIS Name: Babak

Posted 14 January 2006 - 02:57 PM

Few people will argue that the Yuri's Revenge expansion exceeded RA2 in the number of maps available for play. The existence of a plethora of maps has a great advantage, largely, the ability to learn and experience new strategies no matter how long you have been playing this game. Judging by the age of the game, there are many of us who definitely feel like we know everything!

This is a unique opportunity to alter YR as to improve the Quickmatch mode for everybody. YR Quickmatch has great potential and, we feel, amongst many others, that this potential has gone un-noticed. Although the current map pool contains many classics, including some very popular RA2 maps, the introduction of new maps will create more variety, strategies and techniques.

So hereforth lies some maps which were carefully chosen to accomodate several categories. Basically, we went through every map one by one, and discussed it's applications for each side. The maps had to be, first and foremost, balanced. If certain scenarios were seemingly unbalanced, they were not included in the selection (see below). Although the maps did not have to be symmetrical, as that does not necessarily constitute unbalance, the resources were measured up to ensure the chosen maps are fair for each player.

The fun factor was also considered, hence most 'middle based' maps were disregarded. Examples include Otter's Revenge (picture) and Little Piece of Dune, which, being fun maps, would lead to engi-eating and victories which may not be so much earned but gained via luck. Many urban maps were also left out as the huge amounts of tech-buildings and garrasant-able buildings create much stress.

Furtheremore, the Yuri faction creates a lot of problems due to balance issues. Hence, in most maps, cross-faction games including Yuri were left out. However, some maps were found to be fair for non-yuri vs. yuri, and so the scenario was included.

Legend:
YM: Yuri Mirror
AM: Allied Mirror
SM: Soviet Mirror
AvS: Allied vs. Soviet
All: Every Possible Scenario

Deadman's Ridge [YM, AM, SM, AvS]
Posted Image
One of the maps that inspired us to begin this little project. It is a great map that will add to the level of fun in Yuri's Revenge Quickmatch. It is also very balanced. However, magnetrons would be a little too abusive, so, cross-faction yuri games were not included.

Hidden Valley [All]
Posted Image
The easiest map to come to a conclusion on, this map is virtually symmetrical in terms of resources and tec-buildings. Because it is a land map we discussed cross-faction yuri games, and how the cliffs on this map cannot be abused by magnetrons. The number of maps that Yuri can be matched with a Non-Yuri is quite poor, so we decided to propose this map forward for all scenarios. It is actually surprising as to why this was not in QM already.

A Hill Between [YM, AM, SM]
Posted Image
Another fairly symmetrical map, so we thought it would be a good addition. Some may find this to be a middle based map, although that is only partly true. The oil derricks and resources in the middle are even, and are not in as close proximities as other middle-based maps are. There will however be a fight for the airport and gems.
We agreed that Soviets may have a great advantage over Allies on this map, so we decided to settle for mirror matches only.

Let There Be Fight [YM, AM, SM]
Posted Image
A great map, quite possibly one of the most balanced maps on the entire game. Even amounts of ore/gem patches, garrisons and terrain available for expansion. This map demands a certain level of skill in order to overcome your opponent, demanding a certain amount of knowledge in the naval aspect of the game. Cross-faction games were explored and found to be too unfair. For example, Allies would find it too easy to turtle by blowing bridges and garrsanting buildings, and Yuri would dominate with his boomers. Thus, it is limited to mirror matches only.

Meat Grinder [YM, AM, SM, AvS]
Posted Image
This is a very tactical map which presents the opportunity for much ingenuity. The mirrors are very fair and demand multi tasking and good tank control. Although there are bridge entrances, the central entrance is a hill that cannot be destroyed. We also discussed the Allied vs. Soviet scenario and came to the conclusion that this would be very fair. Although soviets would be able to dominate the middle, allies would be better equipped to obtain the oil derricks on the remote islands. Once again, this is a map that requires much strategy and will be a breath of fresh air.

New Heights [YM, AM, SM, AvS]
Posted Image
This map is extremely unique. Each side starts with 3 oil derricks, and the top right corner includes an oil derrick and a hospital. An island in the bottom left corner also includes 3 oil derricks and an airport. The map, being reasonably small, favours soviet players when versing allies due to their ability of rushing. Also kirov's and Iron Curtain can easily end games. To tilt the balance, allies are better equipped to obtain the tech buildings on the island, and thus do a quick tech. Therefore, we reached the conclusion that an AvS scenario would be fair on this map. Small and with plenty of money, the map presents an opportunity for naval assaults and the employment of almost all tactics. Mirror matches are satisfactory as long as the tech buildings and resources are fairly similar, something at which New Heights exceeds at. Collectively, this map was chosen for its ability to host good games and endless tactics.

Sahara Mirage [All]
Posted Image
This map brings the fight to the middle, although unlike most other middle-based maps, skill is necessary to acheive victory. The middle consists of a square alignment of garassant-able buildings with 2 tech buildings (airport and vehicle repair) on each side. The middle further consists of a small lake with plenty of ore and some gems. Clearly, the middle is important. However, there are additional tech buildings on the map. Each player starts with a close proximity oil derrick, and each adjacent corner of the map consists of 2 oil derricks. Hence, it takes much planning to get all of the tech buildings, and players are forced to set their priorities. Being relatively large, it allows for many strategies and, as there is no naval, is perfect for cross-faction Yuri games. Thus, we decided to allow for all possible scenarios. Not imbalanced, not perfectly symmetrical: yet another brilliant map to be added.

Sovereign Land [YM, AM, SM, AvS]
Posted Image
This map is just a freak of nature. The number of viable strategies are beyond our number system. Consisting of even number of oil derricks for each player and a large patch of gems in the middle which will be fought over, many play styles can be implemented. From navy to air rushes to even moving your MCV to the middle at the start of the game, players will have fun figuring out new ways to win on this map. We contemplated cross-faction Yuri games, but at the prospect of cliffs being abused decided to drop it. Thus only mirror games and AvS were left.

Cold War [YM, AM, SM, AvS]
Posted Image
Cold War is a popular RA2 QM map, and so we explored its application in the expansions' gameplay. The mirror games are fair as smart building will mean similar resources for each player. Again, for obvious reason (OK, we'll say it again, boomers) cross-faction Yuri games were left out. Despite the known map bug ('freezing' of units on the cliffs) we decided to include this as it is a great map for just about anything: naval, land, and air. So, another fun map which allows for many viable applications of the game.

Hammer & Sickle [YM, AM, SM, AvS]
Posted Image
Another RA2 QM map that we thought we would include. Hammer & Sickle is a high resource map like Cold War, a great tactical experience with all types of units being put to use. Of course the right side is favoured, that advantage is not as great as some people make it out to be. All spots have potential and this is a popular map among the new players. No doubt it will be welcomed by most of the community.
We thought about the AvS scenario on this map, with superweapons always on (unlike RA2 where it is random). We decided that this situation should stay the same on YR. Much like RA2, soviet players will have to push the soviet arsenal to their full potential in order to attain a victory, rather than 'pumping out tanks'. This should also give a deeper tactical aspect to the game, and even make it that little bit fairer for allies.

No Wimps [YM, AM, SM, AvS]
Posted Image
This beauty is actually very unknown. Very few people have ever even tried this map and experienced its grace. This is another one of those high resource maps which allows for many strategies. On each corner of the map there is 2 oil derricks, 1 airport, 1 tank repair and 1 hospital. Each player also starts with a repair depot. In the centre of the map is an island which is home to 2 more oil derricks. Each player can build towards gems and basically rocket towards battle lab or naval. It is also fairly easy to expand to the other ore deposits. It took much debate to settle whether we should allow AvS but we came to the conclusion that this scenario would actually be extremely fair. With so much cash, the games on this map can deliver nothing other than pure fun!

Roundhouse Kick [YM, AM, SM, AvS]
Posted Image
Another extremely unique map, one where anything is possible in such a limited amount of time. With this being a high resource map, any units can be built and used effectively. Allies may have control of the air and sea, but Soviets have land dominance, as they always do in close proximities. Soviets can easily rush but good allies players will be able to hold their ground. Dreadnaught rush is also viable, although robot tanks can easily counter this. Soviets can also make a Kirov which will take only seconds to reach the other base. On the other hand, allies can do a Rocketeer Rush and are better equipped to capture the off-island oil derricks. Basically, it's a fast paced map with lots of unique strategies. Everyone will appreciate this map if they give it a fair go.

Conclusion
To most people on this forum, RA2 and YR are the greatest games ever created. We realise you (ST) have a lot on your plate right now, but a change like this will help to push our favourite game to its potential and hopefully attract more players. It will also allow people to experience a whole lot more from YR, specially as many of the proposed maps were never in QM. It is a move that we think is necessary and beneficial to the entire community, and I hope people will be pleased with this proposal.

Yours Truly, by Willy and Babak

#2 Aegis

Aegis

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1948 posts
  • XWIS Name: NA

Posted 14 January 2006 - 02:58 PM

How long did that take?

#3 willy

willy

Commander

• Members
  • 18212 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 02:59 PM

Well take note we weren't concentrating 100% the full time but we started it roughly 10:30PM my time, and it is now 3:59am.

so almost 5 and a half hours

#4 [-BA-] Piscinex

[-BA-] Piscinex

~~~~~~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 03:12 PM

Sovereign Land is possibly the worst RA2/YR map I've ever seen and there cannot be many people who aren't driven to suicide by the thought of Hidden Valley stalemates...

Otherwise great, I'll look forward to Don and Olaf completely ignoring this :D

Edited by [-BA-] Piscinex, 14 January 2006 - 03:12 PM.

#5 Nick

Nick

Just Chillin'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 03:22 PM

I like the idea.

#6 XXxPrePxX

XXxPrePxX

King of Yuris Revenge

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8536 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 04:38 PM

beautiful!
i made a topic like this, in unneat way in 30 mins. a few months back.

their NEEDS to be maps like this o nyr.

its just boring as it right now with all the imbalances, engis, etc.

#7 XXxPrePxX

XXxPrePxX

King of Yuris Revenge

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8536 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 04:40 PM

i would LOVE to see the maps sahara and hidden valley added, espeically to the yuri teams.

i think id do better their vs some yuri players on maps liek blood feud etc.
gives more of a chance while vsing a top yuri player.

#8 XXxPrePxX

XXxPrePxX

King of Yuris Revenge

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8536 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 04:42 PM

man, i cum myself when i think of playing Roundhouse kick + no wimps in qm.

#9 Jeff>

Jeff>

I dont know if im gods child or satans angel.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6360 posts
  • XWIS Name: cantchat

Posted 14 January 2006 - 04:50 PM

''suggestion forum is closed''

gg :p

and hidden valley is definately a cool map :D

#10 Jeff>

Jeff>

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6360 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 04:53 PM

A Hill Between [YM, AM, SM]
Posted Image
Another fairly symmetrical map, so we thought it would be a good addition. Some may find this to be a middle based map, although that is only partly true. The oil derricks and resources in the middle are even, and are not in as close proximities as other middle-based maps are. There will however be a fight for the airport and gems.
We agreed that Soviets may have a great advantage over Allies on this map, so we decided to settle for mirror matches only.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That map is good for allied vs sov aswell....

#11 o14

o14

Captain

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4758 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 05:06 PM

Sahara Mirage [All]
user posted image
This map brings the fight to the middle, although unlike most other middle-based maps, skill is necessary to acheive victory. The middle consists of a square alignment of garassant-able buildings with 2 tech buildings (airport and vehicle repair) on each side. The middle further consists of a small lake with plenty of ore and some gems. Clearly, the middle is important. However, there are additional tech buildings on the map. Each player starts with a close proximity oil derrick, and each adjacent corner of the map consists of 2 oil derricks. Hence, it takes much planning to get all of the tech buildings, and players are forced to set their priorities. Being relatively large, it allows for many strategies and, as there is no naval, is perfect for cross-faction Yuri games. Thus, we decided to allow for all possible scenarios. Not imbalanced, not perfectly symmetrical: yet another brilliant map to be added.

Yuri wud own the middle :p

#12 OlafxD

OlafxD

Mr. Rank 1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8529 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 05:07 PM

little piece of dune was probably one of the maps i enjoyed the most to play :-]
but i dont see it in the list :-(

Edited by Tomi, 14 January 2006 - 05:08 PM.

#13 o14

o14

Captain

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4758 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 05:08 PM

Sovs own it thou Tomi..(AvS)

#14 OlafxD

OlafxD

Mr. Rank 1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8529 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 05:10 PM

not really, easy to camp and hide behind buildings, its a very good map i think :-]
yuri v yuri, sov v sov, ally v ally, sov v ally

#15 t3h J3w

t3h J3w

Co-founder of -NRA-

• Members
  • 14598 posts
  • XWIS Name: AaSovJ3w

Posted 14 January 2006 - 05:12 PM

I think everyone agrees the map pool needs increasing. But that's not the only problem... far from it. I think things like sw always on are much severe problems then the map pool.

However, speaking of maps.... sovs have so many easy wins on yr. Dune, bf, urban, alamo... 4 maps where allies are hopeless. We need more maps like depth charge, hammer etc. Maps which can be played by BOTH sides.

#16 XXxPrePxX

XXxPrePxX

King of Yuris Revenge

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8536 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 05:28 PM

i love you aly.

#17 R4MpNtNk

R4MpNtNk

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 06:15 PM

Let there be Fight is the worst map ever concieved. In nearly impossible for sovs to win against a good yuri or allied player. Allied just sit there blow the bridges with seals and yuri in such close quarters is pwnage. Only chance is to rush, which was just plain suicide since the map is pure campage, i mean buildings block the entrances, i mean wtf lol. When ever this came up on wol back in the day, i nearly cried, cause its almost guarenteed defeat for sovs. I have some seriously bad memories of that map, if it was put back in id never yr qm again. I mean who has to ic a seal standing at a bridge to win ffs (my funniest yr moment). :rolleyes:

#18 Jeff>

Jeff>

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6360 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 06:16 PM

Let there be Fight is the worst map ever concieved. In nearly impossible for sovs to win against a good yuri or allied player. Allied just sit there blow the bridges with seals and yuri in such close quarters is pwnage.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Look legenda dude....

#19 [-BA-] Piscinex

[-BA-] Piscinex

~~~~~~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 06:40 PM

And Babak's idea for supers being random for some match-ups (like SvA) made perfect sense. I know ST is busy, but I wonder how long it takes to modify the map list or the super weapon settings...

#20 Aegis

Aegis

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1948 posts
  • XWIS Name: NA

Posted 15 January 2006 - 12:19 AM

Well supers being on or off is just a setting that is '1' or '0', surely cant take long to write like 2 lines of code to make it random.

#21 -Mike-

-Mike-

WoooHooo!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 12:21 AM

i loved blood feud when i was allied and the other guy was sovs....JudMir4ge gave me a pretty sweet b/o on that map for allies v sovs :) ps. i know JudMir4ges name was Edd....is that the same Edd that still plays?

#22 VegetaSj6

VegetaSj6

Allied Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1730 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 01:47 AM

good idea willy and babak,

only we need more maps for ( all )

but interesiert olaf at all? :huh: i think no!

he will replay..........

No.

:whistling:

Edited by VegetaSj6, 15 January 2006 - 01:51 AM.

#23 XXxPrePxX

XXxPrePxX

King of Yuris Revenge

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8536 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 01:58 AM

willy + babak both took alot of time to do this obviously.

this shud at least get some sort of logical response from don / olaf.

#24 RancorX

RancorX

1 map wonder?

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2282 posts
  • XWIS Name: RancorX

Posted 15 January 2006 - 03:24 AM

a hill between was removed due to the fact that if u didnt get middle ur as good as dead... would it really fit into this?

there are only two maps there for yuri not playin vs yuri? dont remember all those maps, but seems a little boring trying qm with yuri if u can only play like every 5th map :dry:

#25 willy

willy

Commander

• Members
  • 18212 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 03:53 AM

The middle on A Hill Between is very big, A LOT of resources here and the Oil Derricks are a great distance from each other.

Edited by willy, 15 January 2006 - 03:54 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users