• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1972 posts
  • XWIS Name: Corsair

Posted 07 November 2004 - 07:12 PM

Allied Navy Unit Descriptions

Destroyer
+ Agile
+ Versatile
+ Good for rushing (on maps like depth charge)
+ Ability to bombard ground targets from usually safe range
+ Splash damage
- Weak Osprey (the plane on the back of the ship)
Tips: Use these for early attacks, it's also wise to keep a few of these in your fleet. The cannon at the front of the ship does splash damage, use this to your advantage. If you can't reach a target, try force firing on a cell right next to it.
Early on these units are particularly good at taking out Soviet Subs. Simply find one, make sure the Osprey on the back takes off and attacks it. When it takes off, move the ship away, so the slow subs can't hit you (Destroyers are much faster than Subs). Keep moving around untill the Osprey has released its payload and flies back to the ship. After it's done reloading, which takes about 10 seconds, simply repeat the process, this way subs can barely hit you because you're much faster.

Aegis Cruiser
+ Powerhouse. (most powerful Anti-Air unit ingame)
+ Range
- Slow
- Needs support (can only attack aerial targets)
Tips: Double click on a target for increased fire rate (on 3^ it shreds kirovs in seconds and devastates rockie swarms). Mixed in with Carriers and Dolphins, it's almost unstoppable.

Dolphin
+ Speed
+ Powerful (believe me it is)
+ Cheap
- Weak armor

Tips:
Did you know you can double the damage of a dolphin's sonic wave?
In the following example I'll explain how.

###########
###########
###<X>##D##
###########
###########

# = Water
X = Cell being attacked
<-> = Ship (or any other naval unit)
D = Dolphin

Normally the dolphin shoots at the middle of the ship (X), thus damaging it, but you can double the amount of damage by firing right behind it, using Force Fire (by default this is holding Ctrl + left click cell):

###########
###########
##X<->##D##
###########
###########

Doing this will double the damage, just try it. :)

Some more tips on Dolphins:
This force fire trick also works on shipyards. By firing right through it, you can destroy the toughest ingame building with just 3 or 4 shots :)
Another useful trick is waiting with a few dolphins near a low bridge...when you see enemy forces cross it force fire at a cell at the other end of the bridge, damaging any units crossing it (this is extremely powerful vs Allied tanks).

Aircraft Carrier
+ Precision attack
+ Range
+ Ability to attack hostile ships and submerged units, by force firing on the cell where the torpedo (sub) or sonic wave (dolphin is coming from.
+ Hard to stop...
- ...But not as powerful as its Soviet counterpart (Dreadnaught)
- Slow
- Costly
Tips: If you have control over the seas, it's time to pump out a few of these. Keep in mind, the Carrier will always hit a stationary target. Unlike the dread missiles, the planes will hit the target before crashing, provided the target isn't miles away protected by mass anti-air <-- but in that case you should kill the anti-air first. This unit is great for exhausting your opponent. You won't likely use them much though, because once you control the seas on a naval map, you've pretty much won.

How do you kill a turtling player, with gaps and anti-air everywhere? Easy, it just takes a long time. Keep killing his anti-air, which costs him money to rebuild, thus exhausting him. If he gaps up his base, force fire on a cell near the gap. This will make his AA appear, because it auto-fires. Target what appeared. Keep doing this, and he'll eventually give up.

Well, that's pretty much it for the Allied Navy. :)

#2 Raider

Raider

GLOBAL MODERAIDER

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6574 posts
  • XWIS Name: Raider

Posted 07 November 2004 - 10:05 PM

Good stuff CoastnuB. :thumbsup: Here's some more on the destroyer.. it's a supremly versatile unit.

RE the Destroyer's Osprey, it's not weak at all. If versus subs or boomers, approach the enemy, as soon as you see the subs the osprey will target, so circle away from the opponent. As long as you stay in range you can outrun the subs and destroy them.. sure they might get a few hits against your boats but early on your osprey should take care unless your heavily outnumbered in naval. It's all about movement.

The Destroyer turret is incredibly efficient at controlling bays, I have used in many many times to destroy buildings on the coast or even high on cliffs like on maps such as Tsunami - in this case you can hit oil derricks early on. You can hit tanks and such units at the edge, and deal with them in small numbers.

A good tip is to use destroyers as the diversion hit. I.e. if there are AA units at the coast edge in the line-of-fire of your aircraft carriers. So use the destroyers to mess with these units, so the AA units like IFV or flaks or BF will aim at your destroyer boats, meaning that your air craft carrier jets are unprohibited in hitting their targets.

When using the Destroyer against coastal targets always be wary of infantry and units with longer range like prism tanks, magnetrons, siege etc. Such hazards shouldn't deter you in your use of this unit though. :)

#3 willy

willy

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18212 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 11:10 PM

also if severly out boated ( :huh: ) and they keep killing your navel yards, try building them all over the place because it helps units build faster and its further for them to go to kill the new navel yard :)

#4 Sporksrul

Sporksrul

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 11:53 PM

To add some to dolphins:
If you are fighting another swarm of dolphins with your own, aim at the farthest dophin in the group. When your dolphins shoot their echos it will hurt everything it passes over (or under?).

#5 t3h J3w

t3h J3w

Co-founder of -NRA-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14598 posts
  • XWIS Name: AaSovJ3w

Posted 08 November 2004 - 06:33 AM

didnt know that about dolphins :o

Just to add... with allied navy what u have to watch out for against a sov is flak boats and subs. The flak boats will shoot down the planes ur detroyers send out. The best combination is a few destroyers and dolphins. Also, try and force ur opponent to come by land so u can force fire ( or sometimes they do it alone) at enemy subs. Lastly sometimes haveing an aegis cruiser is helpful (not only for aa but also good as fodder as i rememeber).

#6 CorsaiR

CorsaiR

I owned you in 2004

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1972 posts
  • XWIS Name: Corsair

Posted 08 November 2004 - 05:33 PM

Good stuff CoastnuB. :thumbsup: Here's some more on the destroyer.. it's a supremly versatile unit.

RE the Destroyer's Osprey, it's not weak at all. If versus subs or boomers, approach the enemy, as soon as you see the subs the osprey will target, so circle away from the opponent. As long as you stay in range you can outrun the subs and destroy them.. sure they might get a few hits against your boats but early on your osprey should take care unless your heavily outnumbered in naval. It's all about movement.

The Destroyer turret is incredibly efficient at controlling bays, I have used in many many times to destroy buildings on the coast or even high on cliffs like on maps such as Tsunami - in this case you can hit oil derricks early on. You can hit tanks and such units at the edge, and deal with them in small numbers. 

A good tip is to use destroyers as the diversion hit. I.e. if there are AA units at the coast edge in the line-of-fire of your aircraft carriers. So use the destroyers to mess with these units, so the AA units like IFV or flaks or BF will aim at your destroyer boats, meaning that your air craft carrier jets are unprohibited in hitting their targets.

When using the Destroyer against coastal targets always be wary of infantry and units with longer range like prism tanks, magnetrons, siege etc. Such hazards shouldn't deter you in your use of this unit though. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You misinterpreted, all I meant was the osprey is easy to shoot down, in terms of armor, not firepower. About the outrunning thing, you're right, I forgot about it. Thanks for mentioning though, I'll add it now. About the rest of your post, I think what I wrote pretty much already covered it. But thanks anyway.

@ Don
You can add it to Top Tips now, it's done. I'll add 2 more of these posts soon, one about Soviet Navy and one about various naval tactics, build orders..etcetera. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users