#1 TAK02

TAK02

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • XWIS Name: TAK02

Posted 09 September 2017 - 06:36 AM

Long story short: I primarily use XWIS' multiplayer/skirmish-only components (or the RA2YR version that doesn't include campaign maps and movies) because it's faster (start-up loading only) and actually runs on that blasted Win10. (skip to the last paragraph for the actual problem)

But I ran into a problem a while ago while making my Supremacy mod: Whenever I play on 640x480x16, the campaigns load up just fine.
However, once I change the resolution to 1024x576x16, either by manually editing RA2.ini or in-game settings, the game "encounters a critical error and needs to close. We apologize for the inconvenience. Do you wish to send an error report to MicroBrains' SlaveHouse?" (LULZ!)

I theorized it was because proper loading screens were missing. However, extracting load.mix from the RA2 I have from way back and actually chking the one in XWIS' ra2.mix, proved that to be false. XWIS will always crash on 1024x576.
Swapping XWIS' EXE with the old I still have proved it. (XWIS crashes on higher res, old EXE works at high res)

Does anyone know why XWIS always crashes on mission loading-screens when playing at resolutions higher than 640x480?
It's kinda annoying to test and debug maps on low resolutions. Especially when I'm still using my HP Mini right now.

Oh yeah, 800x600 res doesn't work for my HP Mini. It's reset to 640x480 (if the screen sizes are any indication).

#2 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13352 posts
  • XWIS Name: XTF

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:05 AM

So the XWIS exe runs fine in that res without the mod? What if you try an even higher res, like 1920 x 1080?

#3 TAK02

TAK02

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • XWIS Name: TAK02

Posted 10 September 2017 - 01:33 PM

Will need my Win10 for it. Don't have that one right now. Hopefully by next week-end.

Also: The campaign maps don't come with XWIS, so this can only be tested WITH the mod. But it isn't a map-problem, if that's what you're asking. The game would've crashed on all resolutions if that were the case.

If you're asking about skirmish-loading too: it runs fine on all resolutions. It's the mission-loading that wants to be an odd-ball.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users