8 replies to this topic

#1 XXxPrePxX

XXxPrePxX

King of Yuris Revenge

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8536 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 03:10 PM

I have a few questions directed towards the active community (i.e. the players that have played more than 15 ranked games or so per month for the last few months).

1) How often do you use the quick match feature?

2) Do you prefer to get games via Quick Match or via Tournament match (hosted games). Why do you prefer it this way?

3) Do you think Quick match is too complicated right now. I.e. Too many maps and settings? Would you like there to be significantly fewer maps with a changing map pool every month?

4) How long do you usually wait in the quick match lobby before you give up or get a game?

Just curious on these points. I'd like to see a Quick match map pool of only 10 or so maps where they rotate every month. However, I have not actively played QM or ranking games for years now so I do not want to sound out of touch, would rather have opinions of active players.

#2 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 05:07 PM

1) How often do you use the quick match feature?

I use it infrequently because there is not enough activity. Often times I will search the custom lobby and even if there are no games and I don't want to host a game, I will wait at the custom lobby because there is a better chance to get a game there. The Quickmatch function is good because you can minimize ra2 (win 7 or lower) and have your game be automatically restored when you are matched. But usually I get too impatient not to check the custom lobby again.

2) Do you prefer to get games via Quick Match or via Tournament match (hosted games). Why do you prefer it this way?

I prefer tournament/clan match/ffg games because my opponent and I can choose the maps, and alternate after each game. Also often someone will want to observe or I will observe (can't be done in quickmatch). I like that super weapons are random and unknown to both players in Quickmatch. 

3) Do you think Quick match is too complicated right now. I.e. Too many maps and settings? Would you like there to be significantly fewer maps with a changing map pool every month?

After having managed the map pool for years I can say there has never been a consensus on how many maps there ought to be. As of now, there are 25 original qm maps (dating back to the qm map set of 2007) and 20 "new maps" which are (at the moment) a collection of very popular "new maps". I intended to rotate a map pool monthly, but as there were very few games played via quickmatch (to my knowledge) and because activity declined steeply since january 2015, I didn't think there was enough interest or familiarity with the map set to continue updating a rotated map pool. My recommendation, given the current situation, would be to reduce the qm map set by 20 maps and not restrict the map removals to only new maps (since I began managing the map pool all original maps were considered "grandfathered" such that they would not be removed and only new maps added.)

4) How long do you usually wait in the quick match lobby before you give up or get a game?

If I have not arranged a quick match game, then on average I will wait 25 minutes (but sometimes 4 hours lol) before I get matched.

#3 aFFGonHeK

aFFGonHeK

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1791 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 10:27 PM

I prefer qm to custom tourney as I hate picking maps. I also love the skill involved in knowing which spot on which map you find yourself. Random supers are also a nice feature which make it less easy for the sov to rush IC. Decreasing the map pool would ruin the fun of qm significantly in my opinion.

#4 zMarsHz

zMarsHz

Colonel

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5788 posts
  • XWIS Name: voZ

Posted 27 May 2017 - 01:00 AM

qm prevents 1 mapping or selecting a few maps you've mastered (ie now lbl, toe)

qm prevents people using lower nicks to avoid losing pts on "main nick"

qm is for the better of players imo due to having to figure out your maps, having to adjust your game due to random of sws, having to play all due to you not being able to see who you want to bail.

tourny atm is only used due to items stated above and / or the activity level being so low.....literally 2 people last night on ra2 xwis sad days ahead if cncnet ladder goes up

#5 game1

game1

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 04:28 AM

qm prevents 1 mapping or selecting a few maps you've mastered (ie now lbl, toe)

qm prevents people using lower nicks to avoid losing pts on "main nick"

qm is for the better of players imo due to having to figure out your maps, having to adjust your game due to random of sws, having to play all due to you not being able to see who you want to bail.

tourny atm is only used due to items stated above and / or the activity level being so low.....literally 2 people last night on ra2 xwis sad days ahead if cncnet ladder goes up

yes xwis ra2 is almost dead , but ngwol could be the turning point for westwood ra2, even though it's new server already now almost 40 ppl tested the server. Without serial system it cud get a lot players on

Edited by mzjpk, 27 May 2017 - 04:29 AM.

#6 Rocketeer

Rocketeer

Korea

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts
  • XWIS Name: iFv

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:42 AM

yes xwis ra2 is almost dead , but ngwol could be the turning point for westwood ra2, even though it's new server already now almost 40 ppl tested the server. Without serial system it cud get a lot players on

XWIS>NGWOL

#7 game1

game1

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:57 AM

XWIS>NGWOL

xwis ra2 is dying, ngwol gives a lot hope to save ra2. Your saying this to someone who been trying a lot to help xwis ra2, if it wasn't for Olaf, there would be no game ranger, cncnet and other places to play, he did a great work for cnc games. Your comment makes no sense, since it's a former xwis yuri player who made ngwol, a lot of people who already tested ngwol ra2 are from xwis gr. 

You are not active in xwis  and I can understand why because activity is dying, even you know xwis is dying, which is why you moved to cncnet.

I'm still trying to figure out what "XWIS>NGWOL" means. Makes no sense, 

Without serial system, Ra2 can be alive again, xwis ra2 is going to die even further in coming weeks and months, ngwol could be the turning point but hey if you have better ideas how to make Ra2 alive again Rocketeer, let us know then

Edited by mzjpk, 27 May 2017 - 08:06 AM.

#8 XXxPrePxX

XXxPrePxX

King of Yuris Revenge

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8536 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 01:25 PM

Guys, it'd be great if you could keep the server discussion in another topic. This is a topic meant for polling the current players on what they think of the Quick Match System.

I made this topic as I was a bit shocked to sign in yesterday for the first time in a long while to find that I couldn't get a QM. People would refuse to go (and instead create their 1map LBL games) and overall, there was just a serious lack of activity. Due to the lack of activity, QM was basically useless. 

I was wondering if QM was set to some 10 maps or so and these 10 maps were publicized prior to the month, it might make more people play QM. However, that doesn't seem to be the problem/worth it as the ultimate problem is the activity. 

#9 Andy.

Andy.

YR God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2576 posts
  • XWIS Name: i7j

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:07 PM

I believe there is an option to remove / add maps to your QM pool somewhere on the ladder page, or was this only for YR?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users