7 replies to this topic

#1 RenzUnit

RenzUnit

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 12:01 PM

I have just installed the 'Red-Alert-2-Multiplayer.exe' on my new laptop which is running Windows 10, after installation when I run the .exe as an administrator the loading screen comes up with a very small loading window (something to do with resolution settings perhaps) and then it fails to properly load the main game menu, the frame is there but none of the menu options have loaded properly and I then have to kill the program.

Solutions I have tried:

- Running in Windows 7 & 8 compatibility mode

- Running with compatibility mode unchecked (default option selected Windows XP Service Pack 2)

- Running in 640 x 480 screen resolution for all these compatibility settings

- Have also tried the 'Red_Alert_2-Windows_8_and_10_fix' but this has not worked either, I still get a small screen res and no menus

Thank you in advance for any help received. 

RenzUnit

#2 fmrguitar

fmrguitar

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 02:11 PM

I have just installed the 'Red-Alert-2-Multiplayer.exe' on my new laptop which is running Windows 10, after installation when I run the .exe as an administrator the loading screen comes up with a very small loading window (something to do with resolution settings perhaps) and then it fails to properly load the main game menu, the frame is there but none of the menu options have loaded properly and I then have to kill the program.

Solutions I have tried:

- Running in Windows 7 & 8 compatibility mode

- Running with compatibility mode unchecked (default option selected Windows XP Service Pack 2)

- Running in 640 x 480 screen resolution for all these compatibility settings

- Have also tried the 'Red_Alert_2-Windows_8_and_10_fix' but this has not worked either, I still get a small screen res and no menus

Thank you in advance for any help received. 

RenzUnit

try execute game.exe (instead ra2.exe or red alert 2.exe) and let me know if it works.

#3 RenzUnit

RenzUnit

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 03:46 PM

Thanks for this.

No I hadn't tried 'game.exe' actually as I've only ever used the 'ra2.exe'. I have now given this a go and the program runs! So thanks for that :-) ...but unfortunately the window is still very small on my laptop screen, so still need to get it into full screen somehow. I have tried altering the config file RA2.ini by changing:

ScreenWidth=1680

ScreenHeight=1050

to

ScreenWidth=1920
ScreenHeight=1080

but this didn't work either, it did full screen upon loading but it again failed to load the menus correctly, are there any other resolution settings that will get me a proper full screen?

The game also crashed and failed to return after alt-tabbing away back to desktop. Which is frustrating.

Thanks again for your help.

RenzUnit

Edited by RenzUnit, 06 February 2017 - 04:40 PM.

#4 fmrguitar

fmrguitar

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 05:07 PM

Thanks for this.

No I hadn't tried 'game.exe' actually as I've only ever used the 'ra2.exe'. I have now given this a go and the program runs! So thanks for that :-) ...but unfortunately the window is still very small on my laptop screen, so still need to get it into full screen somehow. I have tried altering the config file RA2.ini by changing:

ScreenWidth=1680

ScreenHeight=1050

to

ScreenWidth=1920
ScreenHeight=1080

dont worry about the menu screen resolution. when games starts everything will fine .

just try reso 1600x900.

The game also crashed and failed to return after alt-tabbing away back to desktop. Which is frustrating.

Yes. alt+tab is not allowed unless u put the ddraw.dll file (14kb) into the game folder.

Edited by fmrguitar, 06 February 2017 - 05:10 PM.

#5 RenzUnit

RenzUnit

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 05:50 PM

Cheers man thanks, that's really helpful :rizla: . Where can I download the correct ddraw.dll from?

Edited by RenzUnit, 06 February 2017 - 05:53 PM.

#6 fmrguitar

fmrguitar

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 07:22 PM

Cheers man thanks, that's really helpful :rizla: . Where can I download the correct ddraw.dll from?

yes. get from my Onedrive

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvlhNmOttSDdge9RnkEyujgwSwX4Wg

with this file you can execute ra2.exe (just trade is that ur mouse cursor will a bit lagger but u can adjust the scroll speed later) and play in GameRanger and Xwis even with windows 10.

CNCnet has a similar solution to own server. Nice place to play tho.

#7 RenzUnit

RenzUnit

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 05:15 PM

That worked perfectly :showoff: . Everything is now running smooth. Thanks so much dude!

#8 Showtime

Showtime

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7991 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:43 PM

Gj man thx for the help !

Good to see some people are willing to help :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users