29 replies to this topic

#1 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 08:42 PM

Hi guys, I'm at a new location and I am unable to connect to players similar to the problems others have recently encountered.

I have uninstalled all traces of red alert and reinstalled a single copy using the version from the downloads section. 

I have allowed incoming and outbound connections thru my firewall to the following

red alert 2.exe

game.exe 

mph.exe

and I am running the game as administrator.

I cannot connect via cable, it must be wireless

I am using a fully updated version of windows 7

thanks for your help!

#2 Steffen

Steffen

Captain

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1983 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 09:07 PM

Hi guys, I'm at a new location and I am unable to connect to players similar to the problems others have recently encountered.

I have uninstalled all traces of red alert and reinstalled a single copy using the version from the downloads section. 

I have allowed incoming and outbound connections thru my firewall to the following

red alert 2.exe

game.exe 

mph.exe

and I am running the game as administrator.

I cannot connect via cable, it must be wireless

I am using a fully updated version of windows 7

thanks for your help!

welcome in my and many other peoples world.

#3 OlafxD

OlafxD

Mr. Rank 1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8529 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 09:24 PM

heya rumblesom,

go to your router settings under connections and set following:

allow_laorgemny

allow_luft

you should be fine, glhf gaming!

#4 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 09:48 PM

Hey Tomi did I miss smth or random mad?

@steffen showtime fixed it after 2weeks failed I'll ask him

#5 RioXonHotels

RioXonHotels

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 10:32 PM

Hey Tomi did I miss smth or random mad?

@steffen showtime fixed it after 2weeks failed I'll ask him

Why not using ur old router?

#6 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 11:29 PM

I'm away from home ATM

#7 Rocketeer

Rocketeer

Korea

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts
  • XWIS Name: iFv

Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:57 AM

I am in the same boat, I will work on a fix for this too

#8 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 12:10 PM

I feel as tho these problems all started after a windows update- maybe something changed there? It is always at the screen after clicking start game where there are checkboxes showing players for the game. If it connects the box with fill with orange dot, but the box does not fill. For some reason the connection is not made.

Does anyone have any idea why this stage of the connection fails? I can connect to the lobby, chat to other players and create or join a game room. I just can't get past the checkbox screen when the game starts. 

I tried connecting to about 10 players, for some reason I was able to connect with player "allnite" but no one else

#9 OlafxD

OlafxD

Mr. Rank 1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8529 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 12:57 PM

when did this windows update you're talking about happen? at the old or new location?

did you check what kind of windows update was installed (control panel > windows update > update history)?

are you trying to connect with your old or another router at your new location?

have you tried to set your phone as a hotspot and tried to connect to other people?

when you say you cannot connect via cable, does it mean you dont want to play via cable or you have no cable at all (if you have one, try connecting via it to test)?

#10 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13496 posts
  • XWIS Name: XTF

Posted 29 December 2016 - 02:55 PM

Does anyone have any idea why this stage of the connection fails?

It's a peer2peer connection.. and NAT (at both sides) is problematic for those kinds of connections.

#11 Showtime

Showtime

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7991 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 04:07 PM

josh u have same windows as me right ?win 7 pro ?

Mine is updated and i have np with connecting,so that isnt the problem

#12 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 06:50 PM

when did this windows update you're talking about happen? at the old or new location?

I was just guessing bc it could explain how many ppl in many diff countries/locations got this problem at close to the same time with no changes in XWIS and no change (ppl could say) to their set up.

did you check what kind of windows update was installed (control panel > windows update > update history)?

Yeah I did check there- i didn't find any details about a recent update that seemed related to this problem. I also didn't find an update that matched the time when I stopped being able to connect to others - guess win update is not the problem.

are you trying to connect with your old or another router at your new location?

With different routers.

I am travelling in the Philippines atm- I tried some games in the Taiwan airport (TPE) and I was connecting all games first time. Moved to my flight gate and connect to 'juvsli' http://xwis.net/ra2/games/8039/

But I could not connect to 'miley'. After that I was unable to connect to approximately 10 other players until I uninstalled all ra2, reinstalled a plain stock copy of ra2 and got one game to connect to 'allnite' - I tried to connect to lairgemny right after and it failed.

I was wondering if possibly a failed connection attempt could corrupt the game client in some way? 'Host files'? I'm just guessing, host files may be the wrong name or might just not exist at all ^^

have you tried to set your phone as a hotspot and tried to connect to other people?

I don't have access to cellular data here- not on any phone ATM.

when you say you cannot connect via cable, does it mean you dont want to play via cable or you have no cable at all (if you have one, try connecting via it to test)?

My computer has no Ethernet port. it's an old MacBook Pro and both the USB and thunderbolt ports cannot be recognized by windows when using an adapter to connect Ethernet (I have tried this)

Thanks for asking the questions tho- fill out related details, maybe eliminate some possible reasons

@Olaf do you know anything else I could try?

@John yeah win7 pro- I guess it's not the issue. What happened when yours starting working again? How did you fix it??'

#13 Showtime

Showtime

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7991 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 08:27 PM

I installed this ra2 http://xwis.net/temp/Red_Alert-2-0.0.0.exeafter all red alerts i tryed,this 1 worked for me

Opened a port :16000 (port forwarding)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpVvYGWdE74<--i think with this video to help me

Put my computer on fastest

Service pack 3

Monitor adjust disable at high DPI and nothing else checked.

Downloaded the driver 376.09 nvidea for my gtx 950(smooth and no lag,alot of other drivers gave problems)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rhWeL4L_pI<-- this i did 2,probably nothing to do with connecting ,but i am just letting u guys know what i did.

If i remember other stuff ill let u guy's know

Edited by Showtime, 29 December 2016 - 08:42 PM.

#14 Niek

Niek

Commander

• Members
  • 12274 posts
  • XWIS Name: Niek

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:05 AM

:wheelchair:

I'm away from home ATM

You on a road trip?

#15 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 12:43 PM

Vacation m8- Philippines- but general josh never sleeps

I tried opening port 16000 but made no diff :(

#16 RioXonHotels

RioXonHotels

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:45 PM

Vacation m8- Philippines- but general josh never sleeps

I tried opening port 16000 but made no diff :(

Xwis uses not only 16000 port I think u confused with gameranger.

#17 AlliedPlayer

AlliedPlayer

Allied BOSS

• Donators
  • 15264 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:41 PM

I feel as tho these problems all started after a windows update- maybe something changed there? It is always at the screen after clicking start game where there are checkboxes showing players for the game. If it connects the box with fill with orange dot, but the box does not fill. For some reason the connection is not made.

Does anyone have any idea why this stage of the connection fails? I can connect to the lobby, chat to other players and create or join a game room. I just can't get past the checkbox screen when the game starts. 

I tried connecting to about 10 players, for some reason I was able to connect with player "allnite" but no one else

This is exactly what happened to me - still no fix.

#18 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:34 PM

Can still connect to everyone, but don't play. 

Guys take it as divine intervention to stop playing.

#19 laziale13

laziale13

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 03:40 PM

Red alert 2 is my favorite game I played every day before! Before this problem shit ruins the community that people are still able to solve! You do a lot for xwis we know, but what you just said is false my friends.

Edited by laziale13, 04 January 2017 - 03:41 PM.

#20 Rocketeer

Rocketeer

Korea

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:27 AM

I may have to result to getting VMWare, creating a windows 7 VM and playing through that lol

#21 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:34 PM

Ra2 does not work through VM according to accounts from those who have tried on this forum- can't you create a separate partition and boot win7 from that ?

#22 Rocketeer

Rocketeer

Korea

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:06 PM

Ok, not something I've come across, should be the same using a working Win 7 image.

I could do but seems drastic, got a laptop I can play on if necessary - will keep digging

#23 AlliedPlayer

AlliedPlayer

Allied BOSS

• Donators
  • 15264 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:14 PM

It seems to be win 7 professional update which happened in december which has caused issues on .net 4 framework security.

#24 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:51 PM

.Net Framework shouldn't affect RA2 in any way what so ever.

Even if I wanted to fix this I couldn't, due to the fact that I don't experience the problem myself and it would take a few hours (probably) to experiment with a fix for NAT.

Edited by FReQuEnZy, 05 January 2017 - 11:53 PM.

#25 Rocketeer

Rocketeer

Korea

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:44 AM

https://www.winprivacy.de/english-home/

Came across this tool for Windows 10, not played around with it yet but gives options to enable/disable quite a few features within W10. Windows Defender could be blocking connections?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users