Photo

One nickname for the ladder

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

Poll: 1 Nickname

One nickname for the ladder

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 LBL

LBL

Mr. Rank 1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • XWIS Name: LBL

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:36 AM

No win limit is bad imo, cud make it extra ez to avoid other top ranks when competing for HOF / rank 1

what does nolimit have to do with avoiding top ranks? there are alrdy certain ppl who avoid anyways, doesnt matter what rule/system there is, unless you add a "force-to-play rule".

however i dont understand, explain pls.

It also makes pushing very easy and would no doubt cause issues.

you still can push easily the way the system runs atm, also the push would be even more obvious and easily catchable.

the pushes which are the problems are the ones that aint obvious and planned, however these are a problem in any rule/system you run.

the idea behind nolimit is to keep play in case you win,lose,win,lose etc and in certain cases to not have to wait for 18hours (ex. weekends, last days of month).

for example max vs me when we keep had to switch accs while we couldve played on 1 account instead.

#27 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:12 AM

Awful poll structure Niek, you only give two options.

It'd be like showing people a yellow piece of paper and asking people if it's either red or blue.

The answer is white, because the one nick option is right.

#28 DryFeet

DryFeet

joe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1106 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:14 PM

I've always been guilty of starting a new nick after a bad run; no-one likes going round the lobby flashing their 12-9 for everyone to see like a syphillitic hooker at a black-tie event. Still though, I'm wholeheartedly in favour of this change. Remove the temptation. Save sad noobs like me from ourselves.

Edited by DryFeet, 01 March 2016 - 05:14 PM.

#29 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13498 posts
  • XWIS Name: XTF

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:33 PM

So is everyone gonna stick to one nick in March? :p

#30 ALiTheGreatest

ALiTheGreatest

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:35 PM

Is Olaf playing in March?

#31 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • 13498 posts
  • XWIS Name: XTF

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:54 PM

Maybe

#32 Niek

Niek

Commander

• Members
  • 12274 posts
  • XWIS Name: Niek

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:55 PM

Olaf you should b=n players with one then more nickname.

1 warning point please

#33 DryFeet

DryFeet

joe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1106 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:17 PM

You know perfectly well this ain't gonna happen without it being enforced :p

#34 DylHole

DylHole

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4864 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:53 AM

What's the point of limiting nicknames?

#35 Sustanon

Sustanon

LeGeNd SiRaLeX gl hf no eat etc gg 100% FairPlay

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:18 PM

What's the point of limiting nicknames?

Read the previous page. Points and ranks get inaccurate when everyone can use as many nicks as they like.

What's the point of multiple nicknames?

#36 DylHole

DylHole

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4864 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:26 PM

Points and ranks get inaccurate when everyone can use as many nicks as they like.

What?
I did read the previous page, seems most people just want some type of change for the sake of change.

Of all people to be endorsing this...

The HoF already retracts lower ranked aliases AFAIK. If you want to use one nickname, then do that. Why must everyone be limited because you can't wrap your head around your own ten different accounts?

#37 Sustanon

Sustanon

LeGeNd SiRaLeX gl hf no eat etc gg 100% FairPlay

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 01:39 PM

Do you actually have the ability to read?

Multiple nicks distort the ladder.

FYI, I only have 1 account.

#38 DylHole

DylHole

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4864 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:45 PM

Multiple nicknames only distort the ladder

This isn't an argument. Are you incapable of explaining yourself? Most in this thread don't even try to justify why this is a good idea.

1 nickname for the ladder.

I find myself in situations i got good points but people harrass me with making new nicks. It is even worse than cheating in my opinion.

I go for one nickname.

3 nicknames in HoF is retarded.

lol? I don't understand what Niek means. People stealing his points?

- One or two nicknames ftw. Sick of people making new nick names, getting to 400 or 500 points and decent win/loss and then only using that nickname when they're more likely to win or if they're playing against someone with a lot more points than them. (paf might kill himself if this happens, which would also be great for the community. jk)

2 nicks per account

It's generally imperative to remain persistent through losses if you're trying to achieving note worthy ranks. The whole premise of the discussion is what worries me. It seems people want to jeopardise activity for a more balanced ranking system, which I find bizarre because that seems to be the opposite direction the community has been pushing for over the last few years. There's no harm in trying but it'll want to be reverted after a month and that just means relying on Olaf twice in a short period of time. Good luck.

#39 Steffen

Steffen

Captain

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1983 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:14 PM

Do you actually have the ability to read?

FYI, I only have 1 account.

1 account? I did count 4 last month :lollol:

http://xwis.net/ra2/prev/pl/siralex/

http://xwis.net/ra2/prev/pl/alexgomad/

http://xwis.net/ra2/prev/pl/veronicas/

http://xwis.net/ra2/prev/pl/kiarely/

#40 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:04 PM

The whole premise of the discussion is what worries me. It seems people want to jeopardise activity for a more balanced ranking system, which I find bizarre because that seems to be the opposite direction the community has been pushing for over the last few years. There's no harm in trying but it'll want to be reverted after a month and that just means relying on Olaf twice in a short period of time. Good luck.

That would be necessary if you were to be correct about it having a negative impact on activity, which I highly doubt.

The active qm players who use many multiple nicknames are pretty much all on this forum, I think they've mostly all shown support for this idea.

Other less competitive qmers actually tend to only use 1-2 nicknames anyway. If you read, we're also suggesting implementing measures to address would-be resulting challenges to activity such as the inabilty to rematch after a best of 9 or inabilty to match through the current qm filter.

The only way I think the entirety of what's proposed could hurt activity would be through players choosing to stop playing instead of facing possible losses on their high nick- but as if now, especially after the origin giveaway, they can simply create more and more nicknames. If the choice was not to just create another smurf nick but instead to actually stop playing, I'm betting these guys would rather 'risk' their rank and continue playing on their main.

Plus if Olaf needs to revert the system, I'm confident he would do so without a problem :)

#41 LBL

LBL

Mr. Rank 1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:19 AM

sup with ptz filter? can u adjust to wider range (300-400 ptz), just makes absolutely no sense to not be able to match opponent 2nd day into month when ptz difference is only around 180... being forced to cr8 up custom games in order to continue...

:)

Maybe

:)

Edited by LBL, 03 March 2016 - 10:18 AM.

#42 DylHole

DylHole

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4864 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:11 AM

That would be necessary if you were to be correct about it having a negative impact on activity, which I highly doubt.

Can't rematch on different nick (continuing to match the same player after the win limit is reached)

Can't find different players at different point brackets

Bailing players becomes easier

Will this affect multi-clanning?

Ladder will seem less active

Also - I read the shitty thread, yes I realise you have very briefly discussed options as to remedy these issues but there doesn't seem to be anything concise. I'd hate to see a flick being switched and having the game changed unfavourably with little communication with the community *cough*controlpanel*cough*

Your confidence in Olaf is kind of strange considering past endeavours.

#43 LBL

LBL

Mr. Rank 1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:22 AM

yo dude above, mind to take a cup of stfu

#44 DylHole

DylHole

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4864 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:24 AM

quiet, the adults are talking

#45 LBL

LBL

Mr. Rank 1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:27 AM

npz

Attached File  STFU.jpg   73.73KB   8 downloads

#46 ZiGZaG

ZiGZaG

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5085 posts
  • XWIS Name: Freedom

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:33 AM

You seem to have a lot to say regarding a lack of confidence in Olaf. Perhaps you should consider you don't have a clue what your talking about. Olaf does and has done more for this game than you will ever know so please take your derogatory comments somewhere else.

#47 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:34 AM

dylan, it doesnt even seem like you read my post, and every solution proposed has been concise. 

- rematch series option/ no win limit (most likely increasing the number of games two players can play per 18 hour period)

- widening/removal of points filter

I'm not trying to be rude and correct me if I'm wrong, but you aren't active competitively, are you? It is very frustrating to have to meet some guy with 70 more pts than you and then next game he goes on another of his nicks 100 pts lower than you. (yes this fairly common) 

Also part of the value in ranked matches is not only to compete on the ladder, but also to demonstrate ability vs known players. Like Mikoz said, his main nick is Palacio, getting wins vs Palacio is nice, getting wins vs one of his random nicks has less value, especially if he's 12-0 and u give him 4 losses so he just quits that nick for the month. (Not saying he does that, but as an example- and this problem is VERY common). 

As i mentioned, the less competitive qmers mostly only use 1-2 nicknames anyway. 

The ladder will only seem less active if less than 250 nicks are in use, and I don't believe that would be the case even if players were restricted to 1-2 nicknames. 

I think this is definitely worth a shot and theres seems to be enough majority support to give it a go. Regarding Olaf, well assuming it can be done, I think reverting it would probably as simple as just re-implementing old code (very little work) but I could be wrong about that. Let's see what he has to say if we decide to move forward with a recommendation. 

#48 DylHole

DylHole

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4864 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:17 PM

You seem to have a lot to say regarding a lack of confidence in Olaf. Perhaps you should consider you don't have a clue what your talking about. Olaf does and has done more for this game than you will ever know so please take your derogatory comments somewhere else.

I appreciate Olaf's contribution, what he was paid to do, but not for the recent years when he stopped giving a damn.

@josh go read the first page where you've agreed and endorsed several different ideas over split posts, that's not concise. Why does it take me shitting all over your parade to start acting professional? My animosity comes from the inability of admins in the past and seemingly right now, to communicate to the rest of us exactly what is changing and allowing valuable input rather than having people repeat themselves and others over and over again. Let me guess, there's a much more professional thread in the private admin and moderator forum?

You cannot read this thread and consider it sufficient validation for an idea, so don't go changing things prematurely because that's very unprofessional. That's the type of ineptness that brought the downfall of this game and forum.

#49 DrVanNostrand

DrVanNostrand

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5114 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:18 PM

I don't really see one nickname per month helping the activity AT ALL

More like decreasing it a lot :D

#50 BeHumble

BeHumble

Here & There