Photo

[SUGGESTiON]: Chat Tool For RA2

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Poll: [SUGGESTiON]: Chat Tool For RA2

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Should a chat tool be made for RA2?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Sustanon

Sustanon

LeGeNd SiRaLeX gl hf no eat etc gg 100% FairPlay

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 07:50 PM

Hello, I've got a suggestion for you!

But let's start off by describing the problem. Some of my (and perhaps your) friends can't just minimize the game if they want to switch to Windows because they are using Windows 8. So they have to close and restart the game, which becomes a burden for them.

My suggestion is to create a chat tool that mimics the RA2 internet lobby. The chat tool would allow them to login with one of their nicknames, so these players can communicate with other players and arrange games while they are in Windows. If they have found an opponent, they will, for now, still need to start the game (manually). In the future this could be automated to be able to join and accept games with the chat tool and then the chat tool automatically starts and spawns into the game. Sounds complicated but not impossible as someone else already managed to do this for network games.

The chat tool would look just like the RA2 internet lobby (it would display open games, players sitting in the lobby and of course the chat) except it would be a neat little application which can be minimized, moved around, could beep/blink when receiving a private message or a page. It would connect to XWIS just like the game would (ServServ and IRC).

CONS:
  • Someone actually needs to create this tool without getting banned first (currently such tools aren't allowed for good reasons). :rolleyes:
PROS:
  • It could actually help with activity due to Windows 8 players being able to stay connected and others not just logging off because there would be more players in the lobby they can potentially play with.
  • It could show a bunch more information than you can see in RA2, like if someone is using the maps patch.
  • It could help take care of compatibility problems in the future, when the spawner is implemented.
  • It wouldn't have a rogue thread consuming 100 % of CPU like RA2 does. :rolleyes:

Edited by Sustanon, 18 November 2015 - 07:53 PM.

#2 game1

game1

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:03 PM

Sustanon, on 18 Nov 2015 - 20:50, said:

Hello, I've got a suggestion for you!

But let's start off by describing the problem. Some of my (and perhaps your) friends can't just minimize the game if they want to switch to Windows because they are using Windows 8. So they have to close and restart the game, which becomes a burden for them.

My suggestion is to create a chat tool that mimics the RA2 internet lobby. The chat tool would allow them to login with one of their nicknames, so these players can communicate with other players and arrange games while they are in Windows. If they have found an opponent, they will, for now, still need to start the game (manually). In the future this could be automated to be able to join and accept games with the chat tool and then the chat tool automatically starts and spawns into the game. Sounds complicated but not impossible as someone else already managed to do this for network games.

The chat tool would look just like the RA2 internet lobby (it would display open games, players sitting in the lobby and of course the chat) except it would be a neat little application which can be minimized, moved around, could beep/blink when receiving a private message or a page. It would connect to XWIS just like the game would (ServServ and IRC).

CONS:

• Someone actually needs to create this tool without getting banned first (currently such tools aren't allowed for good reasons). :rolleyes:
PROS:
  • It could actually help with activity due to Windows 8 players being able to stay connected and others not just logging off because there would be more players in the lobby they can potentially play with.
  • It could show a bunch more information than you can see in RA2, like if someone is using the maps patch.
  • It could help take care of compatibility problems in the future, when the spawner is implemented.
  • It wouldn't have a rogue thread consuming 100 % of CPU like RA2 does. :rolleyes:

I like this idea, I vote yes! This will help the new players to log in easily in ra2 lobby

#3 Sean3z

Sean3z

Captain

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1740 posts
  • XWIS Name: sean3z

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:21 PM

Something about this seems awfully familiar :p

#4 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:34 PM

Let's keep it open source this time, okay?

#5 ZiGZaG

ZiGZaG

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5085 posts
  • XWIS Name: Freedom

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:42 PM

My thoughts exactly :p

#6 zzattack

zzattack

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5357 posts
  • XWIS Name: zzattack

Posted 19 November 2015 - 12:37 PM

seek and thou shalt find

#7 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 01:12 PM

Your MIRC relay doesn't count.

#8 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13498 posts
  • XWIS Name: XTF

Posted 19 November 2015 - 02:05 PM

Some of my (and perhaps your) friends can't just minimize the game if they want to switch to Windows because they are using Windows 8.

How about you fix that part? ;)

#9 fir3w0rx

fir3w0rx

Xwis Was Initially Striketeam

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2159 posts
  • XWIS Name: fir3w0rx

Posted 19 November 2015 - 04:10 PM

While this is still in the making, people can use:

The XWIS Chat Channel

RA2 Online List
YR Online List

#10 Sustanon

Sustanon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 05:51 PM

It's interesting to see the divided opinion of the community on this. If you vote against it, please post a short explanation, it would be nice to know why you think that it's a bad idea and perhaps what you'd like to see be done instead.

seek and thou shalt find

Read the topic again...

How about you fix that part? ;)

Well, I could tell them to run RA2 in windowed mode. While I appreciate that your patch creates a borderless RA2 window with the illusion of the game running full-screen at native resolution, I don't really think that it's a viable solution. Window mode caused severe slow down for me on Windows 10, even the mouse was choppy (of course this could be different for other machine configurations and especially Windows 8 or 8.1).

While this is still in the making, people can use:

The XWIS Chat Channel

That's kinda like using the forums or Skype to arrange games. It isn't the same as XWIS/WOL IRC. The idea of a chat tool/client is to keep players connected to the lobby.

#11 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • 13498 posts
  • XWIS Name: XTF

Posted 19 November 2015 - 06:05 PM

Well, I could tell them to run RA2 in windowed mode. While I appreciate that your patch creates a borderless RA2 window with the illusion of the game running full-screen at native resolution, I don't really think that it's a viable solution. Window mode caused severe slow down for me on Windows 10, even the mouse was choppy (of course this could be different for other machine configurations and especially Windows 8 or 8.1).

That's why I'm asking you for a proper fix. ;)

#12 NeoGrant

NeoGrant

Commander

• Members
  • 14917 posts
  • XWIS Name: neo

Posted 19 November 2015 - 06:42 PM

I like the idea, but why reinvent it already exists. Spawner that is

#13 Sustanon

Sustanon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 03:05 PM

That's why I'm asking you for a proper fix. ;)

To be honest, I don't think I have the skill required to do that. But even if I did, profiling those performance issues and creating a fix for both that and alt-tab would take an enormous amount of time. That being said, the performance issue is likely due to the poor DirectDraw support on Windows 10.

I don't have a machine with Windows 8, 8.1 or 10, anymore, either.

I like the idea, but why reinvent it already exists. Spawner that is

It only exists for YR network games. But not for RA2/YR online games. ;)

Edited by Sustanon, 21 November 2015 - 03:06 PM.

#14 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 10:39 PM

That being said, the performance issue is likely due to the poor DirectDraw support on Windows 10.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/directdraw-emulation-still-broken-in-windows-10/5a619148-cf1e-4813-b733-997b996b9567?auth=1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users