34 replies to this topic

#26 Sustanon

Sustanon

LeGeNd SiRaLeX gl hf no eat etc gg 100% FairPlay

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 04:07 AM

I don't really see how you can say it's possible to get the game "working properly" on all new Microsoft OS's. Sure, you can get it to run but having to chose between not being able to maximize the game once it has been minimized or putting up with severe performance issues if you go with playing in a window is not a solution.

Substantial work has to pioneered and done to fix this issue.

Luckily it's open source so it shouldn't be too difficult to modify.

Will you be able to do this? If so, I fully agree with DylHole.

Get Martin on a salary!

You should really be put on a salary, so you can focus on fixing this troublesome issue and create an official patch! :D

Edited by Sustanon, 04 October 2015 - 04:09 AM.

#27 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13498 posts
  • XWIS Name: XTF

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:09 AM

Upwards of Windows 8 it's possible to run the game fine, but without alt+tab, when the proper compatibility settings are enabled through Windows Compatibility Administrator.
However as motherboard graphics (intel) chips require slightly different settings, there should be some way to detect the video card to install a different compatibility database.

No alt-tab is a deal breaker IMO..
Doesn't W8 have the right compat settings already?

#28 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 02:46 PM

No alt-tab is a deal breaker IMO..

How come? There are many games out there that don't allow or just don't work well with alt tab.
Even some modern games. The most recent one I remember is "Metro 2033". It might have been fixed by now though, but fresh out of the box it didn't Alt-Tab.

As far as I know some people have no problems with TS-DDraw and can run the game fine without any slowdowns or issues on Windows 8.

Doesn't W8 have the right compat settings already?

It's not really about compatibility settings, the main culprit since Windows Vista is the desktop compositing method Microsoft is going with.
In Vista and Windows 7 you could disable it on a per program basis or work around it with eventual Microsoft updates.
However in Windows 8 onwards, the desktop compositing is always on for every application and can't be disabled.
Which causes problems for older applications such as the classic C&C games and even the map editors like "FinalSun" or "Final Alert 2".

There might still be some hope though, seeing as Microsoft hasn't released the Application Development Kit for Windows 10,
which would include the new compatibility administrator.

#29 Sustanon

Sustanon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 03:10 PM

Upwards of Windows 8 it's possible to run the game fine, but without alt+tab, when the proper compatibility settings are enabled through Windows Compatibility Administrator.
However as motherboard graphics (intel) chips require slightly different settings, there should be some way to detect the video card to install a different compatibility database.

It's not really about compatibility settings, the main culprit since Windows Vista is the desktop compositing method Microsoft is going with.

You were all about the compatibility settings before! Now it's suddenly the desktop compositing method! :p

How come? There are many games out there that don't allow or just don't work well with alt tab.

There's a difference between not working well with ALT+TAB and not allowing it at all.

There might still be some hope though, seeing as Microsoft hasn't released the Application Development Kit for Windows 10,
which would include the new compatibility administrator.

What the ...? Compatibility again?

BTW, it's called "Windows Software Development Kit for Windows 10" as it's always been called. It also has long been released already or how exactly do you expect people developing software for Windows 10?

Edited by Sustanon, 04 October 2015 - 03:11 PM.

#30 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 05:21 PM

When I was looking for the Windows 10 compatibility administrator, I got to an notice from Microsoft saying that it will be released to the general public in due time.
Perhaps it wasn't released at the time I was searching for it?

The only things that the games ever needed were administrator rights and to run in a non composited 16-bit colour mode.
Though as windows versions 'evolve' the developers keep removing components that support legacy applications.
So in some cases the games do need compatibility settings or custom compatibility modes.

Though in almost all of the cases when Microsoft has released a new operating system, the main cause of problems has been the desktop window compositing.
Which leads to the missing menu and slow game-play issues. When I disabled desktop Window composition for RA2 in Vista and Windows 7 the game worked very smoothly.

#31 Sustanon

Sustanon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 08:29 PM

Though in almost all of the cases when Microsoft has released a new operating system, the main cause of problems has been the desktop window compositing.
Which leads to the missing menu and slow game-play issues. When I disabled desktop Window composition for RA2 in Vista and Windows 7 the game worked very smoothly.

Well, my knowledge doesn't go as deep as yours, obviously. But that's besides the point. I've personally only ever written very simple programs that anyone can write and they all work with ALT+TAB.  :p

But how do you reckon can the ALT+TAB issue be solved for good and more importantly: will you be able to do it?

#32 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:34 PM

But how do you reckon can the ALT+TAB issue be solved for good

Read the above posts again. For the answer.

and more importantly: will you be able to do it?

Get off your ego.

#33 Sustanon

Sustanon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:51 PM

Read the above posts again. For the answer.

I see, so we somehow need to make it run "in a non composited 16-bit colour mode". I have no idea what this means, TBH. thinking_hard.gif

Get off your ego.

Why the personal attack? sad.gif I openly admit that my knowledge doesn't go half as deep as yours (read my last post again)...

#34 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 10:49 PM

Why the personal attack? I openly admit that my knowledge doesn't go half as deep as yours (read my last post again)...

That wasn't a personal attack, it was a direct response to your attempt at mocking me.

#35 Strategst

Strategst

Colonel

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5796 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 03:11 PM

Why do you presume there is a simple one-size-fits-all solution? Of course players are responsible for troubleshooting their individual situations. You've been offered help multiple times but you refuse, I don't think you're really interested in playing @ xwis. 

It is not presumptuous to be of the opinion that troubleshooting should be more of an exception than a rule. If you look in the private forum, then you will see that I tested some of the first solutions, which I admit were successful; however, the resultant game play was undesirable, even after attempting many other solutions littered across this forum. If I was not interested, then I would not have even bother making my original inquiry. Since I can remember, activity has been the primary goal here. In my opinion, the ladder is just inflated with competitors, for lack of a better word, since they are not truly competing for anything. In effect, players with the correct version will only reap the benefit until those others realize there is no point and turn to non-ranked games. Moreover, if ranked games is their only motivation to choose XWIS, as in my case, they will simply choose the place where the most non-ranked games are offered. Having said that, if a working ladder is the only advantage XWIS has to offer, then one would think you all would capitalize on that.

QM and HoF are two different things.. You are allowed to QM all you want.

You're welcome to solve the W8/W10 problems RA2 & YR are having. ;)

Quick matches without the benefit of ranking are called fun games, available in the lobby. If more fun games are available elsewhere, then people will play there.

Someone has already solved the compatibility problems for the majority of players rather than a case by case after case by case compilation of solutions; it is just not here.

Yes.

No. Thinking you can get in HoF without auto ss is stupid. Lmao. You want to take 1 step forward and 3 steps back? 

What is your logic behind not having auto ss to be in HoF? 

My logic is that one step forward does not correspond to three steps back because they do not have the same terms. One is paired with activity, the other with anti-cheating measures. Now, I am all about fair play. God knows that I have caught some notorious cheaters back in the day; however, if I have learned anything from doing so, then it is this. Cheaters will be cheaters will be cheaters. I am not saying to make it easier for them to cheat, albeit I concede the byproduct. I am saying that XWIS is missing yet another opportunity here. This says to me, as a new player with compatibility issues for example, "No, sorry, we run a cheat-free ladder here, so if you are unable to get our version running well, then we cannot guarantee that you are not cheating to compete on our ladder." Meanwhile, new players just downloaded the Origin version of the game that automatically directs them to XWIS. This is assuming that they have successfully navigated our registration process. The whole thing is nonsense to me, but I guess that my opinion is heavily influenced by my desire and ultimate incapability to compete here. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users