156 replies to this topic

#151 zampedie

zampedie

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:33 PM

I downloaded xwiss game.  Followed patch instructions at the start of this.  Then I followed instructions in the you tube video link.  Finally, Game Works!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtwQ4qBPJMQ

#152 invincible

invincible

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:33 PM

Hi,

I have been having issues installing RA2 and getting it up and running.

I have tried to include a thorough run through of what i've done for reference. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Prerequisite - Went to Control Panel and removed all programs either related to Westwood or Command and Conquer. I did this because years ago when I played C&C I thought something may have been left over that was causing issues. Also searched my computer for Westwood and Command and Conquer and removed anything I could find.

System set up:

I am using a Dell Inspiron laptop which has 2 hard drives; C and E:

C contains Windows (250GB total / 100GB free)

E is just storage (500GB total / 200GB free)

Processor: Intel ® Core ™ i5 CPU M 480 @ 2.67GHz 2.66 GHz

Display Adapter: Intel ® HD graphics

Installed Memory (RAM): 8GB

System Type: 64-bit OS

Steps followed

1.)    Download Red Alert 2 from: http://xwis.net/downloads/Red-Alert-2-Multiplayer.exe

a.       (File download Location: C:\Users\James\Downloads)

2.)    Ran file as administrator

a.       (File installed location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Alert 2)

3.)    Download Red Alert 2 compatibility fix from: http://cncftw.com/Data/2_Patches/Red_Alert_2-Windows_8_and_10_Fix.zip

a.       (File download Location: C:\Users\James\Downloads)

4.)    Followed steps exactly as described in the first post at: http://xwis.net/forums/index.php/topic/182360-cc-red-alert-2-windows-8-windows-10-fix/

a.       Extracted Downloaded file into the same download directory

b.      Opened Folder: Red_Alert_2-Windows_8_and_10_Fix

c.       Opened Folder: Red Alert 2 - Windows 10 Fix

d.      Opened Folder: Compatibility Database

e.      Right clicked and run as administrator .bat File: Double Click Me

i.      Clicked Yes to allow app to make changes to my device

ii.      C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe popped up

iii.      Pressed the Enter Key

f.        Opened Folder: Game Files

i.      Copied all

g.       Pasted all files into: C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Alert 2

i.      Provided Administrator approval when prompted

h.      For the following 4 files:

i.      Red Alert 2.exe

ii.      Ra2.exe

iii.      Mph.exe

iv.      Game.exe

i.         Applied the following Compatibility settings

i.      Ticked the box for: “Run this program in compatibility mode for - Windows 7”

ii.      Ticked the box for: “Reduced colour mode – 16 bit (65536) colour”

iii.      Un-ticked the box for: “Run in 640 x 480 screen resolution”

iv.      Ticked the box for: “Disable display scaling on high DPI settings”

v.      Ticked the box for: “Run this program as administrator”

5.)    Right clicked the file ra2.exe and ran as administrator

What worked

-          First loading screen showing the airships over the statue of liberty loaded.

-          Alt+Tab from the menu successfully brings me back to my desktop fine.

Problems

-          Initial menu screen shows, but no text or radar animation and no way to proceed. No buttons do anything.

One thing I have checked to see if “C&C Red Alert 2 - Compatibility Fix” was in my programs and features list and it wasn’t.

To try to solve this, I again right click and run as administrator.bat File: Double Click Me. The cmd window pops up but the text contains an error message this time:

“Error: couldn’t find file ‘C:\WINDOWS\system32\RA2-compatability-fix.smd’

To try to solve this, I copied the file: ‘RA2-Comaptibility-Fix’ found in:

C:\Users\James\Downloads\Red_Alert_2-Windows_8_and_10_Fix\Red Alert 2 - Windows 10 Fix\Compatibility Database

And pasted it to:

C:\Windows\System32

After this, I again right click and run as administrator.bat File: Double Click Me.

This time cmd window says installation complete and now when I check programs and features, I can see a file called’ “C&C Red Alert 2”

However, after running ra2.exe again, the same problem occurs. I get to the menu screen and nothing happens.

I have seen references to ddraw files helping out, but I haven’t done anything with these yet as there seem to be a various number of these mentioned over time.

Any suggestions?

If you want to play on Win 10 just do all of this and run game.exe . Works perferctly..

#153 Niek

Niek

romario

• Warning
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11848 posts
  • XWIS Name: Niek

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:48 PM

Uninstall windows 10.

Install windows Xp.

Best Windowns Ever.

:smoke:

#154 TAK02

TAK02

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • XWIS Name: TAK02

Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:49 AM

Uninstall windows 10.

Install windows Xp.

Best Windowns Ever.

Seconded.

I say we wreck MicroBrains' Slaverhouse with some Apocs.

#155 iOS10

iOS10

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 08:57 PM

Uninstall windows 10.

Install windows Xp.

Best Windowns Ever.

install MS-DOS and play SuperMARIO  :D 

FloppyCard.jpg

#156 fir3w0rx

fir3w0rx

Xwis Was Initially Striketeam

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • XWIS Name: fir3w0rx

Posted 11 November 2017 - 02:16 AM

install MS-DOS and play SuperMARIO  :D

You mean MARIO & LUIGI? I used to love that game! It was better than all the official MS-DOS Mario games.

But back on-topic, another thing Windows 8/10 users can try is what FunkyFr3sh suggested:
http://xwis.net/forums/index.php/topic/184623-ddrawcompat-improve-game-performance-and-fix-win-810-bugs/

I just thought I'd add it to this topic before it gets lost in the forums.

#157 iOS10

iOS10

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:31 AM

You mean MARIO & LUIGI? I used to love that game! It was better than all the official MS-DOS Mario games.

But back on-topic, another thing Windows 8/10 users can try is what FunkyFr3sh suggested:
http://xwis.net/forums/index.php/topic/184623-ddrawcompat-improve-game-performance-and-fix-win-810-bugs/

I just thought I'd add it to this topic before it gets lost in the forums.

i just kidding, bro  :) 

But back on-topic  :p decision FunkyFr3sh works very well    :thumbsup:

Edited by iOS10, 11 November 2017 - 07:34 AM.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users