Photo

Black Screen in RA2

Best Answer NahinStar, 14 July 2015 - 02:12 PM

What GPU do you have? It seems no drivers have been installed yet judging by the "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" text.

Olaf you are the man! When you said the drivers weren't installed and asked what Gpu I had, it sparked me to do some research cause I was clueless and not good with computers in general.

I was able to fix the black screen issue! You were right about the drivers not being installed. When I first did it, it ran the catalyst and I assumed it updated accordingly cause device manager said all drivers are up to date. I also had no idea what my gpu was because my PC is a store bought one.

Looked up the model specs and found the gpu. Downloaded the driver from the website, and instead of using the catalyst I updated the driver manually by clicking browse computer instead of the auto feature.

After it updated, the Dxdiag showed and recognized the GPU as well as enabled the direct draw and direct3d and the black screen was gone.

Hope this helps someone else. It probably won't as I guess most people know more about computers and would realize whether or not their drivers were installed correctly.

Once again thank you Olaf, can't wait to play. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NahinStar

NahinStar

Command3r

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2105 posts
  • XWIS Name: Makyura

Posted 14 July 2015 - 02:39 AM

Hey guys,

I downgraded my OS to Windows 7 just so i can play Ra2 lol and have run into yet another problem. When i launch Ra2 it goes into a black screen where i can press buttons but nothing shows.

I tried to follow NeoGrants steps for the display options but when i click detect, nothing happens and the other gray message/monitor icon doesn't appear. None of the drop-down menu options listed in the thread or shown in the video on youtube are there.

I Applied the Windows XP compatibility SP2 settings on the .exe files (mph, ra2 and game) . Ran them as administrator still didn't work.

Somewhere on another thread I saw someone saying that certain features like directdraw and direct3d acceleration are supposed to be enabled to play old games. When i did a dxdiag check it showed that DirectDraw acceleration and Direct3D acceleration were not available. Not sure if this is the cause of the problem, but figured someone may have insight if this matters at all.

Also does anyone know if a graphic/video driver issue could be causing this black screen issue? After I installed Windows 7 I had to manually download the drivers and there could have been an issue with that.

Any help would be great.

Attached Thumbnails

• DxDiag.png
  • SSdisplay.png

Edited by PanthataR, 14 July 2015 - 06:47 AM.

#2 DaRk

DaRk

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 02:53 AM

i had this problem but it was on windows 8, and the file iran gave in the topic about it solved it for me, might try that, altho its for windows 8

#3 NahinStar

NahinStar

Command3r

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2105 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 04:05 AM

i had this problem but it was on windows 8, and the file iran gave in the topic about it solved it for me, might try that, altho its for windows 8

Thanks for the suggestion, Which topic are you referring to ?

#4 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13496 posts
  • XWIS Name: XTF

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:12 AM

What GPU do you have? It seems no drivers have been installed yet judging by the "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" text.

#5 NahinStar

NahinStar

Command3r

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2105 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 02:12 PM   Best Answer

Olaf you are the man! When you said the drivers weren't installed and asked what Gpu I had, it sparked me to do some research cause I was clueless and not good with computers in general.

I was able to fix the black screen issue! You were right about the drivers not being installed. When I first did it, it ran the catalyst and I assumed it updated accordingly cause device manager said all drivers are up to date. I also had no idea what my gpu was because my PC is a store bought one.

Looked up the model specs and found the gpu. Downloaded the driver from the website, and instead of using the catalyst I updated the driver manually by clicking browse computer instead of the auto feature.

After it updated, the Dxdiag showed and recognized the GPU as well as enabled the direct draw and direct3d and the black screen was gone.

Hope this helps someone else. It probably won't as I guess most people know more about computers and would realize whether or not their drivers were installed correctly.

Once again thank you Olaf, can't wait to play.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users