13 replies to this topic

#1 zenicanin

zenicanin

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 11:43 PM

I got ra2 running fine with resolution by changing the ini file as well as running it with game.exe instead of ra2.exe.  Anyways, I installed Yuri's Revenge, and when I try to run Yuri's Revenge.exe, it doesn't respect the resolution so it's running at like 640 x 480 or similar.  And the menu also doesn't show.

I had the exact same problem when I tried running ra2.exe and Red Alert 2.exe, however, game.exe runs fine.  So basically i need game.exe version for YR too.  

Any ideas?

BTW this is on win 8.1

#2 NeoGrant

NeoGrant

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14917 posts
  • XWIS Name: neo

Posted 10 May 2015 - 10:55 AM

gamemd.exe is Yuri's Revenge

#3 zenicanin

zenicanin

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 03:59 PM

Hmm I see. I don't have gamemd.exe though.

I used YR installation from here:

http://xwis.net/forums/index.php/topic/177134-downloads/

Any ideas?

#4 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 10:07 PM

1. Did you install RA2 from this site as well?

2. What issues were you having with RA2 previously?

3. Is RA2 still working?

4. Did YR make a shortcut?

Right click the short-cut on the desktop if you have it and click "open file location", look in the folder for gamemd.exe and run it as administrator.

If that doesn't work, please post back here again. I'm not really sure how to fix the windows 8 problems, but if you do figure out please post what you did to remedy it here as well.

Edited by Seke, 10 May 2015 - 10:08 PM.

#5 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • 13496 posts
  • XWIS Name: XTF

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:28 PM

Hmm I see. I don't have gamemd.exe though.

Rename Yuri's Revenge.exe to gamemd.exe

#6 zenicanin

zenicanin

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 04:02 AM

1. Did you install RA2 from this site as well?

2. What issues were you having with RA2 previously?

3. Is RA2 still working?

4. Did YR make a shortcut?

Right click the short-cut on the desktop if you have it and click "open file location", look in the folder for gamemd.exe and run it as administrator.

If that doesn't work, please post back here again. I'm not really sure how to fix the windows 8 problems, but if you do figure out please post what you did to remedy it here as well.

1. Yes, installed ra2 from this site too.

2. I had same issues with ra2 when I tried to run it with ra2.exe or Red Alert 2.exe.  But once I ran it from game.exe, all was well.

3. Yep, ra2 still good.

4. I don't think it made a shortcut. 

I just tried renaming Yuri's Revenge.exe to gamemd.exe but same thing.  It launches but doesn't respect RA2MD config file and the menu is also missing.

#7 zenicanin

zenicanin

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 01:03 AM

I went ahead and re-downloaded both ra2 and yr and installed ra2 in a different folder, then installed yr in that folder, but again, no go.  It doesn't create the gamemd.exe file on its own, and if I rename Yuri's Revenge.exe to gamemd.exe it doesn't really fix anything, it still behaves the same.

Would love to fire up YR a bit, but I guess ra2 will have to do for now.

If anyone has any other suggestions to try, I would appreciate it.

#8 zenicanin

zenicanin

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 10:15 PM

And another update.

It looks like Yuri's Revenge is manually forcing the small resolution on the computer. Like if I go into task manager, I have a warning from windows saying this is not a native desktop resolution and my desktop is pretty much the same size as Yuri's Revenge.  So that doesn't really solve my problem but I guess just adding as much information here as I can in case someone knows.

#9 hardman

hardman

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • 10521 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 09:04 AM

Try changing the .ini to a slightly smaller resolution (just under the size of your desktop).

#10 Niek

Niek

Commander

• Members
  • 12274 posts
  • XWIS Name: Niek

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:21 AM

:oops:

#11 zenicanin

zenicanin

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:59 AM

I've tried changing it to a smaller resolution just now and same thing happens. It's almost as if YR is not reading or respecting the INI file at all.  I put the ini file as run as admin too and made sure it has full rights to that file.  I dont know.

#12 JasonSkinner

JasonSkinner

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:24 PM

Hi there,

I'm running Windows 8 and am having the same bad luck with YR as Zenicanin - running YR as administrator just loads the first menu and then hangs without displaying the buttons on the right.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you,

Jason

#13 zenicanin

zenicanin

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 02:47 PM

Ok just an update.  This seems to work for me.  Basically downloading those Tiberian Sun dll files and putting them in YR/RA2 folder.  The game experiences a semi-lag here and there now, so gotta work on that issue, but at least it's finally playable and I have the menu.  The resolution only changed in the game, not while in the menus, but I don't care that's not that big of an issue for me.

http://xwis.net/forums/index.php/topic/180517-windows-8-no-idea-what-to-do/#entry1565765

#14 zenicanin

zenicanin

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 04:11 AM

I kinda spoke too soon.  Although those dll files do allow YR to run, it lags pretty bad.  And worse of all, it lags ra2 as well.  So I had to delete them.  I'd rather play just ra2than ra2 and YR but laggy lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users