46 replies to this topic

#1 gulyas

gulyas

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:33 AM

I have a thread going at PPM, my mod is called Scorched Earth, and it doesn't require any patches or extenders of any kind, because it's for the core platform, with none of the YR nonsense. I've planned to finish the mod as stood before I crashed a hard drive, but with the improved tools, and improved knowledgebase, I've become slightly more ambitious for it :)

I'm currently working on updating my old voxels, I have to replace a few buildings like the airbases, and I'm creating a bunch of new civilian structures for better urbanization. I already made a new city sized water tower, a cell tower and a number of buildings with damage and garrison frames. I also have started work on additional neutral military structures, like a mega bunker that can garrison a ton of troops.

Anyway my masterpiece is the AI, it's clever, it's devious, but it never feels like it's cheating as so many other mods/games do. It plays more like a real person, each house with it's preferred tactics. To put it simply, on a good map, you vs 3 brutal AI, even in free-for-all will be a serious challenge. I know all the units inside out and it still kicks my ass sometimes :)

I recommend playing against the AI on various maps, land and water based to get a feel for how units match up, the game is radically re-tuned, and stolen tech plays a bigger part than ever. I recommend starting against 2 AI if you're a pro, and work your way up... but I find 3 is the sweet spot when the game becomes a nail biter, when you both applaud and curse the game :)

Once I finish it, I hope you guys are willing to give it a thorough thrashing here. I've reworked the balance around every new unit added, moved units from house to house finding the best home and so on, but complex games might reveal minor imbalances I can fix.

If I ever do port the mod to the YR engine, probably with Ares, I'll have to de-yurify the whole game. To me YR feels like a cheap mod, like one of the million aborted projects by noobs, the art sucks, the gimmicks suck, very little of it appeals to me as a proper war game... /end rant

I hope I'll give RA2 stalwarts another reason to fall in love with it again ;)

#2 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 06:42 AM

Nice

#3 HCKiD

HCKiD

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1347 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:17 AM

really nice

#4 BornL33T

BornL33T

Drug Baron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1321 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:28 AM

awesome

#5 aCnChaOz

aCnChaOz

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:56 AM

I have a thread going at PPM, my mod is called Scorched Earth, and it doesn't require any patches or extenders of any kind, because it's for the core platform, with none of the YR nonsense. I've planned to finish the mod as stood before I crashed a hard drive, but with the improved tools, and improved knowledgebase, I've become slightly more ambitious for it :)

I'm currently working on updating my old voxels, I have to replace a few buildings like the airbases, and I'm creating a bunch of new civilian structures for better urbanization. I already made a new city sized water tower, a cell tower and a number of buildings with damage and garrison frames. I also have started work on additional neutral military structures, like a mega bunker that can garrison a ton of troops.

Anyway my masterpiece is the AI, it's clever, it's devious, but it never feels like it's cheating as so many other mods/games do. It plays more like a real person, each house with it's preferred tactics. To put it simply, on a good map, you vs 3 brutal AI, even in free-for-all will be a serious challenge. I know all the units inside out and it still kicks my ass sometimes :)

I recommend playing against the AI on various maps, land and water based to get a feel for how units match up, the game is radically re-tuned, and stolen tech plays a bigger part than ever. I recommend starting against 2 AI if you're a pro, and work your way up... but I find 3 is the sweet spot when the game becomes a nail biter, when you both applaud and curse the game :)

Once I finish it, I hope you guys are willing to give it a thorough thrashing here. I've reworked the balance around every new unit added, moved units from house to house finding the best home and so on, but complex games might reveal minor imbalances I can fix.

If I ever do port the mod to the YR engine, probably with Ares, I'll have to de-yurify the whole game. To me YR feels like a cheap mod, like one of the million aborted projects by noobs, the art sucks, the gimmicks suck, very little of it appeals to me as a proper war game... /end rant

I hope I'll give RA2 stalwarts another reason to fall in love with it again ;)

Nice Text but u know pics Tell more than writings. Do you have any Screenshots?

#6 willy

willy

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18212 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 02:07 PM

i sense a few sarcastic comments here but I for one am interested.

In this day and age when getting 1 game on YR is a challenge, I would like to play a decent AI

#7 NSanityHD

NSanityHD

Quello che va in giro ritorna in giro.

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • XWIS Name: IonGenHD

Posted 20 March 2015 - 06:51 PM

Sounds interesting. Some screenshots or a type of demonstration would be nice too. ;)

#8 Sealixir

Sealixir

Sergeant

• Donators
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:40 PM

Sounds interesting. ;)

#9 gulyas

gulyas

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:10 PM

If it's ok to link to ppmsite, no problem...

glsl_172.jpg

prismships_125.jpg

missilesubtorpedo_318.jpg

newhornets_608.jpg

mlrsbombard_597.jpg

And of course my own maps, tweaked over the course of years ... almost all irregular, with varied advantages/disadvantages for each player, prevents people turtling or cherry picking the house for the map ;)

thumb_meandering_125.jpg

thumb_wellspring_872.jpg

thumb_chasing_winter_122.jpg

thumb_power_structure_x_249.jpg

There's tons more of course, and I plan to get more screenshots of the updated units/buildings as I go...

I'm currently working on more new structures to enhance the maps, especially when trying to make a city

winterized_191.jpg

#10 BornL33T

BornL33T

Drug Baron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1321 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:04 PM

Are you going to make solo missions? :)

#11 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:09 PM

Ohh noes you posted this here. :'( 

The worst nubie mod I've seen in a while.

#12 gulyas

gulyas

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:37 PM

Are you going to make solo missions? :)

I focused purely on game play/tactics, and there's no time travel looping-alternate reality-sequel bs...  there's no clever back story here.

I didn't make any missions, but then I was constantly improving the AI, and I had no idea how this would impact something like that. Of course I'm open to the possibility of people helping me create some missions, I do have ideas, just need to get a 1.0 beta out before I worry about that stuff...

FreQ: you can go make passionate love to Yuri's dog

#13 gulyas

gulyas

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 09:04 AM

Some of the new assets in the game...

Attached Files

#14 HCKiD

HCKiD

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1347 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 09:33 AM

i really like that rocket launcher. looks good

#15 gulyas

gulyas

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 10:53 AM

More assets...

Tesla warships, missile subs, the new IFV with various turrets, tank destroyer etc...

Attached Files

#16 Mikoz

Mikoz

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7094 posts
  • XWIS Name: Palacio

Posted 21 March 2015 - 02:43 PM

Damnnn that mega submarine looks badass

#17 ZiGZaG

ZiGZaG

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5085 posts
  • XWIS Name: Freedom

Posted 21 March 2015 - 06:24 PM

Some nice maps aswell, look good to play.

#18 gulyas

gulyas

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 05:15 AM

A better spotlight on Prism ships and Frigates, and the Cuban Diablo with some Tesla Orbs nearby...

These are some of the more fun units ;)

Attached Files

#19 gulyas

gulyas

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 07:10 AM

Here's the new Apoc and Rhino tanks, with added roundness and family resemblance :)

Attached Files

#20 gulyas

gulyas

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 03:52 PM

I have been quiet over here plugging away at updating all the soviet voxels more or less, and I have to figure out something to add as one secret soviet tech available with the tech machine shop I brought in from YR. I still have a long todo list before I'll be happy with a 1.0 grade release, but it's 100% stable, plenty of maps to start with, and no significant balance changes are expected.

Progress is going in spurts, I have a quiet period in my business so I am working on everything as it interests me, cleaning up the AI, updating old maps, making voxels, and making civilian decorations for maps.

I should probably note the AI is the same for medium and brutal, the main difference is the globals between building teams, and the various little adjustments offered in rules.ini for aggression or limits. So on a map with little ore, you can always drop it down to medium for a few games, see if you can handle the economy, or use medium on larger maps with more AI players. War is more expensive in my mod, and fighting against AI on a map without oil derricks will require stealing cash with spies, just to keep up.

I will be releasing a "beta" in another week or so for you guys to play with, and I hope to get some good feedback... I'm very curious to hear opinions on the difficulty, and general balance. Although I know I'll get plenty of criticism from the gimmicky Ares-mod people, or likewise people who actually like the grand fromage that is the Yuri faction in YR, I'm really interested only in tactics, not gimmicks.

Here's my latest map with my civilian additions so far...

I wanted to make something to showcase all the decorations I'm adding, but also wanted to make a good and visually impressive city map, which is one of the most difficult things to do.

Attached Files

#21 Niek

Niek

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12274 posts
  • XWIS Name: Niek

Posted 27 May 2015 - 02:56 AM

BOO  -  YAAA  -  KAAAAAH

:oops:

#22 gulyas

gulyas

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:50 PM

Just thought I'd share some of the new civilian units I'm working on...

Attached Files

#23 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:06 PM

Hey man you succeeded in making a good looking city map 😊

#24 XXxPrePxX

XXxPrePxX

King of Yuris Revenge

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8536 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 10:13 PM

Pretty awesome work you've done. 

#25 gulyas

gulyas

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 02:22 PM

Made a new urban theater map, though decidedly rural, inspired by european countryside...

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users