187 replies to this topic

#51 hifi

hifi

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 02:56 PM

What response do you expect from Olaf? To be honest, the one he has given as per his usual is more than I would have given in his position. It did not even take two pages of posts for this conversation to turn from feigning interest in merging with XWIS to threatening its future as if you could not see the true intent from a mile away. Even if CNCNET is the future of Command & Conquer, a straightforward approach would have been more respectful. Automatic redirection and cooperation from Olaf is just easier for what I admit sounds like a wonderful prospect; however, even though his work has been acknowledged, the course of this topic is truly offensive to the historical accomplishments of Strike-Team and XWIS. When it comes right down to it, we are talking about dismantling years and years of hard work (cheat-free ladder, redirection, utilities like Game Spy), all done for the love of a series that is quite a dear subject, which is not being treated properly I am trying to say. "This is going to happen with or without your cooperation, so you may as well cooperate" is a pretty crappy offer to give up your baby. This should be considered when complaining about how it is just so confusing why Olaf is acting this way.

This discussion has spanned much longer than this thread. No one is disregarding what XWIS has been the past X years.

But, what you just said that are the key points of XWIS are the ones that CnCNet is trying to do better and can do better because CnCNet doesn't have any WOL restrictions. Dismantling years of hard work is sometimes necessary to gain something better and in this case CnCNet has gone forward enough to call it quits. I've discussed this privately with many and I've been suggesting that if we have a deep merge we could/should rename to something completely new - a new birth of C&C online gaming. Bring C&C: Online in as well to have full coverage of the titles.

I'm not really the bad guy here, or maybe I am. I don't play any of these games, never really have, I just run the show because I'm apparently fairly good at it and no one has stepped up to replace me. I even suggested Olaf to take it all because I don't really want to do this anymore but it wasn't enough for him I suppose ;)

#52 hefeweize

hefeweize

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:12 PM

Strategst, i respect your opinion.  I will end it there as i don't want to get into a back2back heated discussion. I do want to point out that this thread was in no intent to be offensive to 'historical accomplishments of strike-team'.  I made sure to point this out numerous times. I did put myself in Olaf's shoes. You just have to see it in a different perspective. You do have a bias being with the ST crew.. I can go on and on.. 

/HiFi has spoken.

/We did our part and the community has spoken. This would have been a fantastic merger.

/end

Edited by hefeweize, 26 February 2015 - 07:14 PM.

#53 miketehmaster

miketehmaster

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:07 PM

I have come to bless this thread once again, working together and respect is all well but from all this it looks as if and do not be offended

(paints picture)
Two persons are arguing about who gets to play the 1 person game with the controller first..
both people refuse to actually just play and enjoy the game and take turns.
they'd rather sit and not play at all then to let one person play first.

In other words. work together for the greater good. you will have your shot and the first isn't always the best
the last isn't always the forgotten - Jesus :]

Continue on topic :]

#54 Strategst

Strategst

Colonel

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5796 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 04:03 AM

I do not consider myself bias toward Strike-Team/XWIS at all. In fact, I will be the first to sign up when CNCNET has a working ladder for Yuri's Revenge. I am one of the many retirees who have seen subsequent staff come and go over the years because they become frustrated with their inability to effect change under the administration (most of whom were completely inactive, long detached from the community, and selfishly clinging to "power" to be perfectly blunt); however, reading this topic objectively, I actually like what I have heard about the alternative server albeit I did not like the underlying tone of this originally sugar-coated topic is all I was saying.

#55 hefeweize

hefeweize

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:23 AM

Fair enough.

There is really no way not to sugar coat anything when trying to communicate in a respective manner. Especially in this case.

When i say something.. I mean it.  

Edited by hefeweize, 27 February 2015 - 05:24 AM.

#56 BornL33T

BornL33T

Drug Baron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1321 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:13 PM

It would be nice if Olaf give his feedback to clarify why this merge is hard to be done.
Also guys keep in mind that this is not F2P game.

#57 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13496 posts
  • XWIS Name: XTF

Posted 27 February 2015 - 01:53 PM

Let's be honest. Strike-team favors Red Alert 2

I don't think that's true. Most staff plays RA2 and not TS though.

Obviously there is no perfect server. CNCNET lacks a few details such as ladders and clans. Strike-team has all these capabilities implemented as well as easy to install software packages. Personally i love how Multiplayer to be integrated into the game like strike-team. But the chat server is also cool.

Doesn't CnCNet also have a great installer? The in-game lobby is nice but the out-of-game CnCNet UI simply has far more features.

I don't have to give a array of examples why I think a merger would be a good idea. But i'm sure you see the point. Strike-team has the upper hand with "directed traffic". CNCNET is mainly word of mouth.

Just wondering, where did the idea of merging come from and what does it imply? Nobody has been able to give me any details so far.

NeoGrant's vision contains a new, external and universal client which as said before is a good idea.

#58 jeffbeck

jeffbeck

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 12:31 AM

The CNCnet chat lobby could do with a facelift to modernize it, however, it's superior to XWIS in every other way. Fuck him.

Edited by jeffbeck, 28 February 2015 - 12:32 AM.

#59 hefeweize

hefeweize

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:43 AM

I don't think that's true. Most staff plays RA2 and not TS though.

Doesn't CnCNet also have a great installer? The in-game lobby is nice but the out-of-game CnCNet UI simply has far more features.
Just wondering, where did the idea of merging come from and what does it imply? Nobody has been able to give me any details so far.

NeoGrant's vision contains a new, external and universal client which as said before is a good idea.

Yes Cncnet has a good installer as well!  Lot of newer games are using external clients nowadays, such as Battlefield. But also other games still have it integrated. It's really a subject to what can benefit the games more. It seems as CNCNET 5 would better as its 'newer tech'. As for the merging idea, i believe CNCNET contacted you before this thread was made. I had no contact with either you or CNCNET before making this topic. It was just a idea i wanted to propose to the community to see what kind of feedback we can get for a potential merger. Since 99.9% of people agree to it, i feel like it definitely would be something to consider. 

Olaf, i really can't tell you anything on how a merger would look as it's not my field of expertise. FunkyFr3sh, can you chime in what a potential merger would look like? I believe you are one of the people that worked on CNCNET 5 client the most.

Also, at this point, i dont know whats going on. I don't know if you or CNCNET is talking or even still interested. I think you will have to create a private chat as i originally suggested.  I don't think no ideas has been proposed as they have not had a chance to speak with you. Please don't email.. Let's chat.  If you are open to the idea, please state the day and time (timezone) you will be available. HiFi/Funky(assuming they will take another chance in communicating with you)  can setup a private chat in the CNCNET client to speak with you.

I cannot really do anything as I don't have a direct relationship with either party. 

Neogrant's idea already exists. Tib/Dune/Ra/CNC is all in one client. Obviously each game has a separate download, but everyone is unified in one chat. Is client has a skin pertaining to the game you are playing. I like the skin. You can also weed out players by game. Perhaps funky can work on a custom "in-game wol" style skin. 

Edited by hefeweize, 28 February 2015 - 03:50 AM.

#60 BornL33T

BornL33T

Drug Baron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1321 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 10:45 AM

Capture.PNG

:dance: :dance: :dance:

#61 hardman

hardman

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • 10521 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 11:42 AM

Sorry, you don't have permission for that!

[#10171]

You do not have permission to view this attachment.

:ph34r:

Edited by hardman, 19 March 2015 - 11:43 AM.

#62 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • 13496 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 11:50 AM

Nice activity!

#63 Mikoz

Mikoz

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7094 posts
  • XWIS Name: Palacio

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:44 PM

Nice activity!

Ga je er ook nog wat aan doen om samen te werken ?

Anders is het echt over met xwis ben ik bang.

#64 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • 13496 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 04:54 PM

We werken niet samen met piraten..

#65 NeoGrant

NeoGrant

Commander

• Members
  • 14917 posts
  • XWIS Name: neo

Posted 19 March 2015 - 06:27 PM

That's rich. I don't see music, complete game files and serial selling on CnCNet, and yet somehow we are the Pirates.

#66 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • 13496 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 06:35 PM

Aren't you the one advertising with free MP?

#67 Sean3z

Sean3z

Captain

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1740 posts
  • XWIS Name: sean3z

Posted 19 March 2015 - 06:36 PM

Aren't you the one advertising with free MP?

It'd probably be worse if they were changing for it :p
To be fair, they're not offering YR for download but are assuming that anyone who has it, paid for it legally.

#68 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • 13496 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 06:44 PM

To be fair, they're not offering YR for download but are assuming that anyone who has it, paid for it legally.

Ah, of course, that makes it entirely right.

#69 Sean3z

Sean3z

Captain

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1740 posts
  • XWIS Name: sean3z

Posted 19 March 2015 - 06:52 PM

I never said it was right; but, at least they're being less sleazy about it. Let's face it, there's no way CnCNet could host YR support without it being wrong (outside of "official" EA/XWIS approval). Of the many ways they could have gone about it, I feel this was at least a fair compromise.

I'd suspect: If an "approved" method were available, they'd be more than willing to implement it.

#70 hifi

hifi

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:01 PM

Ah, of course, that makes it entirely right.

Well, doesn't it? We can't do anything about piracy so that's pretty much it. If you're so paranoid about this piracy thingy just demand EA to do something, not like we'd go against EA if they want to kill their own games.

You're not really giving us any options either. Merger was thrown in the air multiple times and it would have given us access to cd-key lists and all that gooey fun but no, you didn't want to play with us so now your own players are leaving you alone in your sandbox. Deal with it.

Here, have a banana:

http://i.imgur.com/XCYvFR3.jpg

#71 BornL33T

BornL33T

Drug Baron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1321 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:31 PM

It's a shame that EA still selling serials for RA2 for 10$, nowadays you can get a bag full of new games from HumbleBundle for few $ (you pay what you want), including EA games :p

#72 MrFrodo

MrFrodo

TITAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 10:16 PM

I never said it was right; but, at least they're being less sleazy about it. Let's face it, there's no way CnCNet could host YR support without it being wrong (outside of "official" EA/XWIS approval). Of the many ways they could have gone about it, I feel this was at least a fair compromise.

I'd suspect: If an "approved" method were available, they'd be more than willing to implement it.

Hehe, Seanz political correctness :p

#73 DylHole

DylHole

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4864 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 02:59 AM

are all cncnet admins and mods uppity and obnoxious, or just the ones promoting the site here?

#74 dsector

dsector

Captain

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3696 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:00 AM

Merger was thrown in the air multiple times and it would have given us access to cd-key lists and all that gooey fun

Oh I'm sure this "merger" sounds very appealing to Olaf.

#75 hifi

hifi

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:24 AM

are all cncnet admins and mods uppity and obnoxious, or just the ones promoting the site here?

I'm actually quite fun, honest! Also I'm not promoting CnCNet on XWIS, I don't start these threads but if there's something that needs to be said in my opinion that's on topic I'll do it. Do not give bad rep to anyone else on CnCNet because of what I say.

Oh I'm sure this "merger" sounds very appealing to Olaf.

As I said before, I'd be very willing to "hand out" the 500 player network to someone capable of running it and Olaf would be first in line. I don't want to run CnCNet, I have other things to do now but I'm stuck with it now once it got big. I don't even work on anything anymore. I'm just uppity and obnoxious. Most of the players don't even know who I am because it's the others who do all the work and get their well deserved credit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users