18 replies to this topic

#1 bmlabout

bmlabout

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 05:38 AM

This Trojan was included with the RA2 download. Please scan your downloads before installing them. I did not, and AVG caught it while I was installing but it is too late, the file seems to have worked its way around AVG and is replicating itself and I am finding multiples of it when I scan.

#2 PlokiteWolf

PlokiteWolf

C&C Wiki admin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • XWIS Name: Plokite95

Posted 06 February 2015 - 03:16 PM

AVG is a terrible antivirus. It has so, so many false positives. Get rid of it.

#3 bmlabout

bmlabout

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 05:18 PM

How is that a false positive? Have you researched that trojan?

#4 Sean3z

Sean3z

Captain

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1740 posts
  • XWIS Name: sean3z

Posted 07 February 2015 - 05:22 PM

How is that a false positive? Have you researched that trojan?

I'd spend more time researching a better anti-virus client ;)
Sure the Crypt3.BYCC Trojan may exist but, the XWIS RA2 Multiplayer download does not carry it.

#5 bmlabout

bmlabout

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 05:39 PM

We are all entitled to our opinions but forgive me if I disagree, and so does a community of techies:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/avg-antivirus-does-it-suck.59956

All I know is it was caught in the download from this site. It's not a false positive because that refers to a good file being marked as bad, this is clearly not a good file.

#6 dsector

dsector

Captain

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3696 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 05:57 PM

You're entitled to your own opinion, but the facts state otherwise. There's no trojan in the RA2 executable.

That AVG topic you linked to is from 2006... Is that the most recent discussion you found that says something good about AVG? At that time, it was a decent anti virus (actually 2006 was its best year ever and I think that's when they launched their anti spyware as well). Just because something was good in the past, doesn't mean it still is especially when it comes to anti virus programs that needs to be updated and improved dozens of times a day.

I recommend Common Sense Internet Security Suite 2015. It's by far the best one at the moment.

#7 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 06:03 PM

It is a good file and it's clean, you can scan the same file with something like Avira, Avast, Bit defender, Kaspersky, Norton (not recommended) and they will tell you that it's clean.

Here, you can scan it with 53 different antiviruses and see for yourself. https://www.virustotal.com/

As per that noobish article you linked to, the article itself is bad and outdated. Never mind the fact that, that site is very mediocre when it comes to giving advice on software or PC related problems.

I would recommend you browse more gaming forums and read articles written by people who build their own PC's on a enthusiast level.

From my own experience I've cleaned out so many comptuers with AVG on them. Those computers had many active trjoans and viruses plus tens of thousands of spyware/adware.

AVG provides close to no "real world" protection, but instead just minor annoyances. I would recommend a paid Anti virus such as Kaspersky, if you use your PC for gaming and entertainment.

#8 bmlabout

bmlabout

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 07:57 PM

Date on the article aside, how do you propose the Trojan came with the RA2 file I downloaded from this site then?

edit: Let me rephrase that, how do you explain the fact that the trojan was found in the file I downloaded from your site? It's not jut me, my buddy across town downloaded it the day after me and his anti-virus found the same file. Don't know what anti-virus he uses but it doesn't really matter since we both found the same trojan in the download from our site. Unless you can tell me there is a file called crypt3.bycc that isn't harmful (and what it does) included with the RA2 multiplayer download, then you really aren't proving anything.

Edited by bmlabout, 07 February 2015 - 08:02 PM.

#9 bmlabout

bmlabout

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 08:19 PM

To add one more thing, I am running several AV programs, AVG is the only one that caught it... so you can't tell me it's not doing it's job. I never have problems with false positives, I don't get viruses or malware or spyware very often because I rarely download things. I was even wary to download the file from your site even though I read somewhere that you are an official EA partner. I get that you don't want bad press but just telling me that my AV software and I (and my buddy across town) are wrong isn't going to solve the problem if in fact the file is infected. I'm not asking for you to fix my computer, I'm not saying anyone associated with the site is doing anything malicious, but have you even considered the possibility that somehow the file is corrupted? You can't be too sure these days.... I mean people hack celebrities icloud accounts jut for fun, the same people probably play old games like this... what makes you think your file is safer than files protected by a multi-billion dollar company?

BTW I could link a hundred articles on how great AVG is from the past 3 months... quit focusing on the fact that it is one of my AV clients and focus on the fact that the file WAS found and was not an isolated incident.

#10 NSanityHD

NSanityHD

Quello che va in giro ritorna in giro.

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • XWIS Name: IonGenHD

Posted 07 February 2015 - 08:27 PM

AVG is absolutely terrible. I'd never use it again. There is NO virus in the XWIS download, 'nuff said. Either take our word for it or just leave.

#11 PlokiteWolf

PlokiteWolf

C&C Wiki admin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • XWIS Name: Plokite95

Posted 07 February 2015 - 11:46 PM

I recommend Common Sense Internet Security Suite 2015. It's by far the best one at the moment.

Never failed me to this day. 10/10

To add one more thing, I am running several AV programs, AVG is the only one that caught it... so you can't tell me it's not doing it's job.

Just lol. It ISN'T doing its job because AVG is coded terribly. You're the only one clutching to your argument based on general ignorance on computer safety.

Edited by PlokiteWolf, 07 February 2015 - 11:49 PM.

#12 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 01:46 AM

To add one more thing, I am running several AV programs, AVG is the only one that caught it...

That's very bad, you should only run one at the same time.

what makes you think your file is safer than files protected by a multi-billion dollar company?

People want to make the news or watch the world burn, or create a botnet with 1000's of computers, a online game with 150 players is not worth anyone's time.

#13 bmlabout

bmlabout

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:44 PM

I think you're overestimating the value of people's time. You guys don't have to believe me or whatever antivirus software I may be running, but being willfully ignorant of the fact that it happened is your own fault.

And telling me to believe the word of a complete stranger or get out just digs a deeper hole for my already low opinion of this community. Thanks for that.

#14 ImNewButOld

ImNewButOld

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:00 AM

I think you're overestimating the value of people's time. You guys don't have to believe me or whatever antivirus software I may be running, but being willfully ignorant of the fact that it happened is your own fault.

And telling me to believe the word of a complete stranger or get out just digs a deeper hole for my already low opinion of this community. Thanks for that.

Olaf probably coded the patch with dirty hooks to change stuff inside the RA2 files (my wild guess). The virus alert you get from AVG might not be a false positive because its not the way its should be done. But its harmless so you dont have to worry about it. Everyone here knows Olaf is not the type of guy that installs trojans on our computers to rob our money and credentials. He is here for years now and always been nice to people despite getting flamed a lot. Without him there would be no cheat free RA2/YR.

Edited by ImNewButOld, 09 February 2015 - 01:00 AM.

#15 bmlabout

bmlabout

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:25 AM

I'm not suggesting anyone that has anything to do with running the site is responsible for it... let me just put that out there. Secondly, I understand that may be the case, so:

Question for Olaf: is there a legitimate file called Crypt3.BYCC included in the RA2 download?

#16 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13498 posts
  • XWIS Name: XTF

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:51 AM

Nope

#17 bmlabout

bmlabout

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:55 PM

So that being the case, is anyone going to double check the official download file source on the server to make sure no one has compromised it?

#18 Sean3z

Sean3z

Captain

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1740 posts
  • XWIS Name: sean3z

Posted 10 February 2015 - 12:34 AM

Olaf is the maintainer - he would know whether it was compromised.

#19 NSanityHD

NSanityHD

Quello che va in giro ritorna in giro.

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • XWIS Name: IonGenHD

Posted 10 February 2015 - 12:41 AM

All of this nonsense because you seem to believe a false positive to be a positive detection? I'm not being rude or funny here but that sounds highly pathetic considering the fact that several of us have confirmed that the XWIS download is CLEAN, and you've heard it from Olaf himself, yet you still disbelieve us? Sounds to me like you're just making an excuse to cause trouble over a false positive detection alert. Other AVs don't detect it and say it's clean...so just take our words for it and move on.

https://www.virustotal.com/en/url/41e8fbdc9f728d4b861cd50b4d7deb4f3bcc9d4c26be6f973e3dd8a8822bf6d1/analysis/

http://sitecheck.sucuri.net/results/xwis.net

Edited by NSanityHD, 10 February 2015 - 12:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users