2 replies to this topic

#1 bdizzle19lord

bdizzle19lord

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 10:08 PM

With one monitor physically plugged in the game plays perfectly fine at 1920x1080  I want to run it with Three monitors - a combined resolution of 5760x1080

If I add a second monitor, apply and test it -  I can still have the game loading properly (but only on one screen with 1920x1080)

If I add a third Monitor - apply - the game will load normally and show the main menu screen (with menu's)- but my mouse is confined to the center screen; the two extended monitors only show whatever was there before (other windows or desktop background) - the 'full screen game' will only fill the center screen. - at 1920x1080

The Nvidia Surround takes 'monitor 1' and increases its size to the full resolution of all three monitors - it then 'disables' 2 and 3.  Any attempt to re-enable 2 or 3 will remove the nvidia surround system (which provides full resolution support across three monitors)

I've been attempting (off and on) to get this to work on my old RA2 game for quite some time.  No websites anywhere discuss this particular setup.  I'm able to load the game fine, but the Menu labels are all missing (and there is not really any way to 'guess' to the location of all the ok boxes and such when it comes to the confirmation boxes that appear in the center)

The problem I run into is detailed on a pinned topic (which I can not reply to)

http://xwis.net/forums/index.php/topic/172813-black-screen-no-menus-showing-in-game/

That solution does not work for people using three monitors as one - where the Nvidia software combines all their resolutions into one giant screen.  That solution only works when you have the option to "enable #2 and extend the display to it"

Playing at 1920x1080 is easily done - with one monitor.  I imagine if I was to buy a 4k screen and use that as my only monitor I would have no problem as well.

However, using Nvidia Surround does not seem to work; or perhaps its just the multiple monitors being plugged in that are causing the problem.

Has anyone here successfully been able to get multi monitor support working on this wonderful old game?  I would love to be able to see every detail of every map I play without needing to scroll around...

-Thanks.

Other sites of interest:

http://blog.obelisk.ro/2010/09/resolution-fix-for-red-alert-2-yuris.html

#2 bdizzle19lord

bdizzle19lord

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:52 AM

I'm guessing -based on a lack of response here, that Nvidia Surround / aka Amd Eyefinity solutions are few and far between.  It would have been wiser for me to buy one 4k screen instead of three 1080 screens... 

(Also noticed that on ANY forum where people ask for support -in ANY game - there are never replies...)  In fact I've seen ZERO answers to ANY questions posed by people on Nvidia Surround implementation...  it seems to be hit and miss with a lot of the old games either Working (civilization 3) - or not working... (simCity 4, Red alert 2 ... etc)

I wonder if any of you are playing on these 3200x1800 screens - or the 4k tv resolutions...  Anyone?

I know on a normal 1080p - some of the smaller maps will get buggy and shake around if your mouse goes to the edge; the game tries to move the screen over (but the entire map IS on one screen already - so it cant move...) it makes the game tricky to play until you master staying away from the edges...

-So are there no people on this forum that play in higher resolution modes?

Edited by bdizzle19lord, 19 January 2015 - 05:54 AM.

#3 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13498 posts
  • XWIS Name: XTF

Posted 19 January 2015 - 02:16 PM

Eyefinity / Surround might have trouble with DirectDraw games. Have you tried windowed mode?
The game does support 2560 x 1440 and probably 2560 x 1600 but I'm not sure it supports much larger resolutions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users