7 replies to this topic

#1 stevero

stevero

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:55 AM

I have the disk version of RA2 which worked fine untill all of a sudden i got the ****FATAL STRING ERROR*** and cant play it anymore(i have tried every single solution i have found with none of them working) so i downloaded a torrent which works fine, but when i tried the version i found on XWIS it didnt work and i either got the txt_preparecom_failed error or the game would make my desktop resolution all screwed up and cant click anything(the game is technically open but not loaded) so i have to ctrl+alt+delete and end app.

Some advice would be so great i have been trying to play this game online for a long time but haven't been able to yet.

I am running windows 8 on a toshiba laptop.

#2 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13498 posts
  • XWIS Name: XTF

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:58 AM

Did you run the game as administrator?

#3 stevero

stevero

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:50 AM

Yeah, tried running as admin, compat modes, 8 and 16bit colour, without compat modes. Not sure what else there is really

#4 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13498 posts
  • XWIS Name: XTF

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:27 AM

Windowed mode?
What about that 'other' downloaded version you had?

#5 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:41 PM

Some advice would be so great i have been trying to play this game online for a long time but haven't been able to yet.

So it worked before, but suddenly stopped working?

Was your computer updated by Windows update? Did you change something? Install new software? Try using system restore.

#6 stevero

stevero

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:31 AM

is there a way to use the other torrented version i have online with a purchased cd key?

Olaf - The other downloaded version worked fine for some reason with no ***Fatal STring*** error but i am not sure how to use it online or if thats even possible?

FReQuEnZy - The cd version worked fine for about 3 months but it was a while ago and i cannot remember if i updated software or if anything significant happened, as far as i remember it just gave me the ***Fatal String*** error out of the blue and ever since then doesn't work, I've tried reinstalling (no exaggeration) about 10 times, tried all different compat modes, moving the files here and there, updating, and everything else i found.

#7 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 01:19 AM

Is UAC turned on? Sometimes that can cause installation errors even if you allow the actions that it asks you to confirm.
It's a relatively well known cause of problems for older software/games.

is there a way to use the other torrented version i have online with a purchased cd key?

You can use an ISO with a legitimate serial key.

I have a 'fixed' version that requires Windows 8 trials if you're interested.

#8 stevero

stevero

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 01:54 AM

Hi, yes i would be very interested! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users