141 replies to this topic

#101 SensFaiL

SensFaiL

Allies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9413 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:50 AM

I'm going to advocate for a rotating map pool monthly as well. I still think there is to many maps in qm

Edited by SensFaiL, 23 October 2014 - 12:51 AM.

#102 DylHole

DylHole

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4864 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 09:07 PM

I'm going to advocate for a rotating map pool monthly as well. I still think there is to many maps in qm

anything escalate with this

what about the increasing of max games?

#103 Mikoz

Mikoz

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7094 posts
  • XWIS Name: Palacio

Posted 01 November 2014 - 11:08 PM

You cant expect everything being the same after years of not playing.

Just play qm and learn them ?

anything escalate with this

what about the increasing of max games?

Yes, why this did not happen yet :S ?

#104 DylHole

DylHole

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4864 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 11:29 PM

Just play qm and learn them ?

some of them aren't worth learning lol
i think the map pool needs a clean up, the less active players are highly disadvantaged and will stray away from qm

#105 SensFaiL

SensFaiL

Allies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9413 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 12:46 PM

some of them aren't worth learning lol
i think the map pool needs a clean up, the less active players are highly disadvantaged and will stray away from qm

Yes because now with much of the older players from ra2s past we have tons of time now to learn the billion maps available with all this great activity that are on this game now too as well. How can we not learn them!your right mikoz keep everything how it is because change would be baaaad!

#106 Mikoz

Mikoz

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7094 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 02:58 PM

Or you could just scout, use your years of ra2 intelligence and search for gem/gold fields and oils....

Tomi did not play for years but managed to come back at top qm level very fast.

#107 Mikoz

Mikoz

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7094 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 03:47 PM

Proposal : expanding of the monthly ladder to a 2-3 month during ladder. 

#108 hardman

hardman

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10521 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:19 PM

Do you mean extending the ladder so its 2-3 months before it resets? If so i think thats a bad idea.

#109 DylHole

DylHole

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4864 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:56 AM

Or you could just scout, use your years of ra2 intelligence and search for gem/gold fields and oils....

Tomi did not play for years but managed to come back at top qm level very fast.

it's not just learning/scouting the maps

a lot the new maps are too similar and play too alike to others, this is emphasized when one or both players aren't familiar with it

more simply, some maps are plain, boring and add nothing but a tally to QM maps

what's the argument for them? 

i also find it annoying that there is such an abundance of maps that you're not likely to play the same map twice, without exceeding 30+ games !

WTF! the newer player base (including me) isn't experienced enough to call the standard maps overplayed, stale or boring, they're the best and yet i seldom get to play them!

#110 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 06:04 AM

Well said Dylan. I agree with it, the QM map pool is stale in it's design.

Most of the new maps are designed in a way that makes the gameplay very repetitive and dull.

On most of them you can find a standard starting gem patch of standard size. Which in turn causes the build orders to become stagnant and boring.

The QM map pool should be chosen with variety in mind.

Some good naval, urban, mountainous, open maps, with small, medium and large size taken into consideration.

Let's say, Alaskan Oil Spill, May Day, Official Tournament Map B, Urban Rush, Cold War, Depth Charge, Lake Blitzen, Snow Valley, Malibu Cliffs, Heck Freezes Over, Arden River, Little Big Bay, River Rampage, Bull Run, Caverns of Siberia, City Under Siege.

Just to mention a few well varied maps in terms of gameplay they provide and variety in build orders and available strategies.

Having around 12-16 well chosen maps per 1 to 3 months would be a good boost to making the gameplay experience varied.

Edited by FReQuEnZy, 03 November 2014 - 06:07 AM.

#111 DylHole

DylHole

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4864 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:13 AM

1. yep

#112 DylHole

DylHole

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4864 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:19 AM

a better idea i think would be to have a small standard map pool and with another custom map pool that rotated monthly 

#113 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 12:57 PM

hi dylan- stay tuned something like your idea is in the works- 

oh and I havent forgotten about your new map either- I'm looking to get it added to the patch collection in the next update (days away at most)

#114 DylHole

DylHole

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4864 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:43 AM

:rizla:

#115 Mikoz

Mikoz

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7094 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 12:28 PM

Lol at picking 12-16 maps to make it varied!! While we have 60 right now.
And they are not boring at all.

Do you have any idea how boring it would be for the other 99 % of the players, who DID learn the new maps ( basically anyone ) ?? You guys are not thinking about that. Its a really poor boring and sad idea to only play with a few maps

And oh well, if this bad idea will ever happen, ATLEAST pick some good maps ( read below )

( dont lisen to this guy he only put allied maps were he can lame on. he wont play serious anyway thats why his clownmode on map selections)

Let's say, Alaskan Oil Spill, May Day, Official Tournament Map B, Urban Rush, Cold War, Depth Charge, Lake Blitzen, Snow Valley, Malibu Cliffs, Heck Freezes Over, Arden River, Little Big Bay, River Rampage, Bull Run, Caverns of Siberia, City Under Siege.

terrible map picks(not all most) , you have no idea what goin on. And no1 is waiting for Depth,Alaskan, campy River and unfair May day.

Atleast pick good new maps like Divide & Conquer, Morning tide, Landmarks, Poltergeist, Tikal, maps were you can actually have a clean not-camping fight on. Also Jungle of Vietnam for the allied lovers is a great map.

Edited by Mikoz, 04 November 2014 - 01:05 PM.

#116 SensFaiL

SensFaiL

Allies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9413 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 01:13 PM

Lol at picking 12-16 maps to make it varied!! While we have 60 right now.
And they are not boring at all.
Do you have any idea how boring it would be for the other 99 % of the players, who DID learn the new maps ( basically anyone ) ?? You guys are not thinking about that. Its a really poor boring and sad idea to only play with a few maps

And oh well, if this bad idea will ever happen, ATLEAST pick some good maps ( read below )
( dont lisen to this guy he only put allied maps were he can lame on. he wont play serious anyway thats why his clownmode on map selections)

terrible map picks(not all most) , you have no idea what goin on. And no1 is waiting for Depth,Alaskan, campy River and unfair May day.
Atleast pick good new maps like Divide & Conquer, Morning tide, Landmarks, Poltergeist, Tikal, maps were you can actually have a clean not-camping fight on. Also Jungle of Vietnam for the allied lovers is a great map.

I applaud how passionate you feel about this mikoz. But I'm assuming you've never played other games competitively because there is literally no other rts that has this much for a map pool. You can say you "know" all the maps but just 2 war sell con on every map isn't learning the maps. When you have a smaller map pool it forces you to play those maps a lot more often which raises the skill level on those maps. Then you actually "learn" the maps. I don't think any of us have a problem with the new maps. We just have a problem with the volume of maps that are available currently.

#117 Mikoz

Mikoz

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7094 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 01:20 PM

you "know" all the maps but just 2 war sell con on every map isn't learning the maps. When you have a smaller map pool it forces you to play those maps a lot more often 

I know all the maps yes, just like the majority of the other ppl who qm so now and then, even latof knows all maps by now and he rarely qms.

The 2 war sell comment is making clear you have no idea what you are talking about. therfore i will stop the disscussion with you right now and leave room for ppl who actually played the past years to reply.

#118 SensFaiL

SensFaiL

Allies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9413 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 01:23 PM

That's fine I just didn't see any criticism to my "valid" points then so I guess you agree.

#119 Mikoz

Mikoz

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7094 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 01:42 PM

That's fine I just didn't see any criticism to my "valid" points then so I guess you agree.

Your criticism is there to many maps. so what ? you just came back and you still need to regain your skills anyway. you cant play for top spots anyway right now. why just not learning those new maps ? wtf is wrong with you ppl ? 

Here, i made you guys 20 map pool.

Not maps chosen by mr engineer gameplay frequenzy but maps loved maps by most of the ppl.

I selected them by looking @ map picks of soviet and allied players in cm and by my own knowledge of which maps are populair,variated and would form a good map pool for sov,allied, and any kind of gameplay.

Official Tournament map B
Urban Rush
Montana DMZ
Heck freezes over
Depth Charge
Snow Valley ( TL vs BR optional )
Paris Revisited ( TR vs BL optional )
South Pacific ( TL vs BR optional )
City under Siege

Jungle of Vietnam
Divide & Conquer
Morning Tide
Tikal
Poltergeist
Golden state Valley
Caverns of Siberia
Bull Run
Tour of Egypt
Lakeside Plateaus
Coldest Peak

Edited by Mikoz, 04 November 2014 - 01:43 PM.

#120 ExpaNd

ExpaNd

RanDoMiZer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3828 posts
  • XWIS Name: ExpaNd

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:13 PM

I think a map pool should be voted upon.

A rotating map pool with

Standard maps(always in there, these should be the best/most popular/fair/balanced etc..)

And then like 10+ random maps that alternate each month or whatever number.

While I am rusty and don't know maps, I still find fun in learning them as I play etc... However that's just me and I don't/haven't played competively in a long time.

And as I am an advocate for people who play more should be rewarded, the problem is with lack of games how are you supposed to learn these maps?

That's the question, I'm more for a just add every cool map that's balanced type of person. But for structure I'd say a rotating map pool is best.
Those are my opinions

#121 Mikoz

Mikoz

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7094 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:46 PM

Edited by Mikoz, 04 November 2014 - 06:52 PM.

#122 ALiTheGreatest

ALiTheGreatest

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:47 PM

Well tbh I wouldnt mind a smaller map pool if you guys think you will be more competitive on them cause really there is not much competition.

#123 Mikoz

Mikoz

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7094 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:52 PM

Another fact :

Those new maps didnt just pop up all together...

Alot of them like : Bull Run,Glowing Waters,Offi Map Q are in qm for atleast 4-5 years!!!!

Then we have some original maps who were added later on like : Stormy Wather, City Under Siege

Then we have some yuri maps were most ppl are also familiar on : Dry Heat, Tour of Egypt

Only like 2-3 maps ! were added recently like Reconcile.

Mayb a few maps should be made non-standart instead of standart but further steps would be ridicalous and unfair against anyone who has played this game the past 5 years.

#124 SensFaiL

SensFaiL

Allies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9413 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:23 PM

Sometimes to move forward you can't sit idle clinging to how it's always been. Sometimes you have to go out on a limb and change things in an effort to make a better product. Nothing else has worked to help activity why not go out of the box.

#125 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:26 PM

Lol at picking 12-16 maps to make it varied!!

It's about picking the maps that offer variety, meaning that more games would be played on them, thus making the games have more variety in the play style, right now they are lost like spit in the wind.

Obviously I got more of an idea then the 2 war rushing dog noob.
Yet again I picked maps that are all completely different than the other. Just to give people an idea.

You just want maps you can tank rush on and build only tanks and dogs, technical maps such as alaskan and depth are rejected by you because they are too difficult for you. Instead of basing your arguments on your own tastes you could at least be a bit realistic.

Edited by FReQuEnZy, 04 November 2014 - 08:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users