82 replies to this topic

#1 cranmer56

cranmer56

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 12:25 PM

I've been playing on XWIS for a few months now and there seems to be two horrible trends;

1) Campers/Turtlers - People playing as allies and camping in their own base or playing in battle against two campers and ruining the game - can anyone give a good reason why players do it? And also, is there a way to stop it?

2) Money maps (eg funny big map, beach frontier, thc4 etc..) - who makes these things and why do people play them?? They completely defeat the object of the game. I am sure the creators and developers would be turning in their sleep if they knew how these people were bastardizing this beautiful game. One of the key and most fun aspects of the game is resource gathering and money maps remove this completely making it a crude numbers game.

Surely people feel the same?

#2 XXxPrePxX

XXxPrePxX

King of Yuris Revenge

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8536 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 12:59 PM

No.

The only reason you feel this way is because you don't play competitively. I speak from both sides of the spectrum in that I play highly competitive games and I also LOVE the games you speak about.

1. Campers - Camping is NOT a viable strategy in a highly competitive game. Why? Because you won't have resources to compete. Camping only works in situations like Mount Olympus where crates are on and you don't get rushed.

How do you defeat campers? Usually through the air or just brute force. Try getting a massive economy (since you have the whole map) and controlling as much area as possible and then surprising him with kirovs or tons of rocketeers to break through his camp. It's rather easy for me to beat a camper, as I am experienced, but it will be difficult for you to do the same. Just practice.

My game on Mount Olympus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAPLOfLAb6c&list=UUBkmpxxL9FlHTiErpRUAYbA

This is how you beat campers. Although, this guy wasn't AS good as the best campers are, it still represents a method.

2. Money maps - Not all money maps are the same, and each has a different personality to it. For instance, I love beach frontier. Where you say it 'defeats the purpose of the game,' I say it enhances a major quality of the game. Instead of worrying about money, you worry purely on building as much as possible - navy, army, air army, defense. And then attacking in every which way.

Whereas a game like funny big map brings you nonstop action from the get-go, However, it's not my cup of tea. Other games that limit you to just tanks and defense are also not my favorite, but I just don't play them.

This is the beauty of beach front: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alwWfujrawg&list=UUBkmpxxL9FlHTiErpRUAYbA&index=8

To be honest, I have more fun playing games like this ^^ then I do 'competing' nowadays.

MY suggestion to you is go play quick match and compete. You surely sound like someone who wants to compete.

Edited by XXxPrePxX, 28 September 2014 - 01:03 PM.

#3 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 03:02 PM

I like top dog challenge :D

#4 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13496 posts
  • XWIS Name: XTF

Posted 28 September 2014 - 03:14 PM

Surely people feel the same?

You don't *have* to play money maps do you? Try QM. ;)

#5 TheNecrons

TheNecrons

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 03:47 PM

I hate when your ally doesn't help you rushing a France camper in Hammer and Sickle with no Supers xD He only want to camp too xD

Although as XXxPrePxX, to defeat a camper you just have to control the map, and don't let him capture any other Ore Patch. Just block him in his base, keep harassing with V3 (if you are Soviet) so he will spend money to Anti-Air too, build many Kirovs (you should have money of the whole map), and attack from different spots with them.

If you are Allied, harass with Rockies and Planes, build a giant army of Air units and attack also with Grizzlises, Mirages and Prisms.

@Prep: the players you played with on Mount Olympus didn't turtle xD Yesterday i played against a one that build a lot prism towers and pps, and he started building Patriot Systems too cause i was harassing with V3. It was gg. I had a lot of money, and he had nothing (he sold Warf, Rax and Blab). I just tortured him on propuse: i massed V3 and attacked with them from all directions xD, and broght Kiorvs too, while he was solding any "useless" building to build more Patriots. The battle goes for 10mins, but i could finish it quickly since i had like 50 Rhinos, and he had 0 tanks, 0 rockies and 0 planes, just 10 prism towers.

He just quitted the game before i could even bring tanks to make the real battle.

The only thing i really HATE, are allied campers in H&S with no supers and with crates. This is because i only play H&S with supers and navy (but it's difficult to find players).

#6 Mikoz

Mikoz

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7094 posts
  • XWIS Name: Palacio

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:05 PM

Those money mod maps can be pretty fun for exp. players, however anyone who plays funny big map 4 is retarted.

#7 cranmer56

cranmer56

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:57 PM

It seems it really does divide opinion as already we've had people posting they love it or hate it.

It's funny because I posted this after a match on Mount Olympus and I watched your video. I have to say it wasn't the best example of the camping I talk about. The guy was France, no crates and it was a 1v1. With 2 more players again it makes it more difficult to camp. Although it is quite clear you are an excellent player.

However, I wouldn't say the crude and senseless incremental building of units "enhances a major part of the game". It just boils it down to numbers, you build 10, I'll build 11 etc etc. this isn't really a sophisticated strategy.

I play QMs regularly and, honestly, I win about a third of all games I play but it's to good players and on original maps that really offer a true all round sense of the gameplay.

Also, and perhaps more importantly, if it's true what XWIS says and that they are trying to entice more people to pick the game up again or try it then people camping and playing money maps is NOT going to attract anyone.

#8 TheNecrons

TheNecrons

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:06 PM

What's your nick? I try to qm regulary too, we can qm together if you want. I'm "thenecron".

#9 cranmer56

cranmer56

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:33 PM

What's your nick? I try to qm regulary too, we can qm together if you want. I'm "thenecron".

I'm busy with work at the moment. Best time would be over the weekend. When I get online I'll look for you.

#10 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:46 PM

1) Campers/Turtlers can anyone give a good reason why players do it?

Because it's a strategy, I do it because I'm bored of rushing, harassing, pressuring. I find it fun to see how many players I can hold off and for how long and to see what kind of strategies they will think up to beat me. Instead of the same play every game.
I recall players complaining about rushing(pro play) too and calling me a noob for rushing with 1 rocketeer, 1 ifv and then out building/producing them in the end.

2) Money maps (eg funny big map, beach frontier, thc4 etc..) - who makes these things and why do people play them??

Map makers and game modders make those things, I used to make them back before I played online. Just out of curiousity and because I found it interesting.
I made one recently to offer a different style of gameplay.

People play them because they want something different, the newbies/noobs play them because they are more fun and interesting, not everyone has competition in their nature.

I hope that this answers your questions.

Edited by FReQuEnZy, 29 September 2014 - 06:47 PM.

#11 cranmer56

cranmer56

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:55 PM

Map makers and game modders make those things, I used to make them back before I played online. .

So did I.....when I was 13.

#12 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:08 PM

So did I.....when I was 13.

Why would you ask the question if you can relate?

#13 cranmer56

cranmer56

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:31 PM

Why would you ask the question if you can relate?

Well what I meant to say was that at that age I didn't fully understand the game and wanted to bypass the difficult parts of it by making a map that made the game easier. 

Now I understand the aim of the game and the maps seem pointless now.

#14 XXxPrePxX

XXxPrePxX

King of Yuris Revenge

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8536 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:15 PM

Cranmer, I think you are failing to understand that your style of how the game should be played does not equate to the style of how the game should be played.

Your situation of France, 1v1, no crates does seem quite boring. I don't know why I would ever play/accept those settings.

Because it's a strategy, I do it because I'm bored of rushing, harassing, pressuring. I find it fun to see how many players I can hold off and for how long and to see what kind of strategies they will think up to beat me. Instead of the same play every game.

Frequen brings up the most important aspect here. I often get on to play a game on mount and not build a single rhino tank. I build yuris, tesla coils, apocs, drones. Do I want to win? Sure, I wouldn't mind. But I am more interested in playing a different style compared to the same thing I've done for 10 years :p.

In any sense, I think you should focus on what you'd like to play. ;) 

#15 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:15 PM

Would you not assume that others would probably be doing this for the same reasons?

Why do you think that players who have played for years still play those kind of maps, while calling any 'good' player a cheater?
Because, in their minds the solution to playing bad is not that obvious and seems impossible.

It's true that everyone lives in their own worlds, not everyone has the same reality.

As prep said you should focus on what you want to play not worry yourself with what others want to play, you can speculate and reason about it just out of curiosity. For example on Star Craft 2 I don't like to play the ladders or skirmish games, because it gets repeditive very fast, even though it's a great and a polished game in essense, maybe I've just had those days on RA2 already and don't want a repeat.

Instead I like to play the numerous mod maps that are avaiable there, Blizzard even added a menu option called "Arcade" for those maps.
The mod maps there are mini-games on their own and offer a chance to play interesting and creative maps.

Edited by FReQuEnZy, 29 September 2014 - 08:20 PM.

#16 ExpaNd

ExpaNd

RanDoMiZer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3828 posts
  • XWIS Name: ExpaNd

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:37 PM

All u noobs preaching "I wanna play different styles" should play as random .

Funny big map and all those maps are pretty boring to me as well, and it actually contradicts your "want more strategies" because on maps like those only certain strategies work.

I usually just try to win with least units as possible (plus least deaths) it actually causes u to be creative and use groups of units like missions :D

But yes, I agree with topic creator about funny big map players.
They are like minigames inside of ra2 and when I hope on unusually wanna play ra2 and not a minigame

#17 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:10 PM

+1 for preps comment: op is talking about how he thinks ra2 should be played

#18 XXxPrePxX

XXxPrePxX

King of Yuris Revenge

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8536 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:31 PM

On a side note...You know what I REALLY hate about this game/server?

Waiting 10+ minutes to fill up a game and then having it not connect.

:@

#19 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 01:16 AM

On a side note...You know what I REALLY hate about modern network techonology and illiterate computer users?

Waiting 10+ minutes to fill up a game and then having it not connect.

Fixed :D

#20 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 01:38 AM

prep nailed it.

#21 cranmer56

cranmer56

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:28 AM

+1 for preps comment: op is talking about how he thinks ra2 should be played

Yes, yes I am. This is how I think RA2 should be played. Everyone's got an opinion right?

I am certainly not expecting the things I hate about RA2 to stop, why would I? But I wanted to know if I was the only one who felt this way.

#22 thriLLeR

thriLLeR

RAZED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:13 AM

hey Prep :bye1:

i saw your videos on youtube and i think u r a funny,cool guy ^^

why u play in window mode ???

Edited by thriLLeR, 30 September 2014 - 08:31 AM.

#23 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:12 AM

So he can feel like he's looking through a Window..

#24 XXxPrePxX

XXxPrePxX

King of Yuris Revenge

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8536 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:02 AM

If I play in full screen mode, some of the screen gets cut off by my video recording software. :'(

#25 TheNecrons

TheNecrons

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:17 PM

So he can feel like he's looking through a Window..

Ahahahaha  xD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users