Other usages for unused Units?

#27 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:48 PM

I'd say I'm one of few people who can play both allied/soviet at a high level, and droning allied miners IS practical.

#28 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:52 PM

My comment referred to the use of bombed drones, but would yours be to say ability to play at a high level is required to make droning allied miners practical?

How about being typically practical? Because regardless of your play level I'd argue I've played enough to reject that.

#29 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:58 AM

Not typically practical. If you're learning battle fundamentals I'd recommend practicing effective tank and fodder control

He's also trying to have fun like most of us did, by experimenting with 'fun' unit combinations and tricks.

My comment referred to the use of bombed drones, but would yours be to say ability to play at a high level is required to make droning allied miners practical?

How about being typically practical? Because regardless of your play level I'd argue I've played enough to reject that.

Bombed drones are too hard to pull off, in theory it works, bombed drones jump around in tanks, until one explodes and causes splash damage to other tanks.
Though chances are you'll waste too much time on trying to get the bombed drones into a unit.

Playing at a high level is required to make droning allied miners practical, because you need to be quick to take use of the confusion, you'll need to preferably 2 way split with tanks or other units straight after the drones go in, as then your allied opponent will concentrate on tanks and will take damage on either his tanks, base or miners depending on which he/she focuses on.

If the allied player concentrates too much on tanks, then he loses miners, (never mind the annoying EVA announcements), if he/she concentrates on fixing miners, he will lose tanks or structures.

You can't be typically practical, as a few people's play style is completely different from the rest, eg: me, seke, piners, latof, jj, marko, adam, marsh. (only ones i could think of, who use a different plays style to the rest). You can argue all you want, but the basis for your argument is your play style and your experience from using that play style. If you were a user of an aggressive play style then you'd be more inclined to agree.

#30 PiNeRs

PiNeRs

2v2er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • XWIS Name: djaningar

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:16 AM

-Crazy ivans are effective at taking out oil derricks. It is quite common to attempt to use them to try to take said derics on tournament map B and Mayday. Other than that, tactical use of them is kinda a threat, but not the most practical thing to do because the flak track carrying them can be taken out by terror drones or planes. But if u hit a warfac or something with the ivan and scripts, its a good trade.

-Tesla troopers can be used in a camp situation where u make a tesla coil. (just one) This is seen someties on heck TvT.

-As an allied player, seeing ur opponent make flak troopers isnt that rare. 

-Snipers, or great Britain in general, is extremely underused, even though they are good. U get an afc, an ifv and a sniper, while the sov has his 2nd fac. America and korea put much better use to the afc to combat rhinos to compensate for them often being slower to get up to multiple facs. 

#31 DylHole

DylHole

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4864 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:00 AM

im surprised you didnt say chrono-ivan

#32 TheNecrons

TheNecrons

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:23 PM

I was talking about normal Units, not special Units (Chrono Ivan, Chrono Commando, Psi Commando and Yuri Prime of course are useful).

I think a way to destroy a Warf with only a Crazy Ivan and a Flak Truck is by putting a Dynamit also on the Flak, or kill the near Crazy Ivan. But how to guard for Engis?

OT: how hits take a Rhino from a boosted Tesla Coil to be killed

#33 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:01 PM

OT: how hits take a Rhino from a boosted Tesla Coil to be killed

Two I think.

#34 ExpaNd

ExpaNd

RanDoMiZer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3828 posts
  • XWIS Name: ExpaNd

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:24 PM

Make sure to put a wall in front of that tesla coil to add a lot of health to it!

#35 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:22 PM

Make sure to put a wall in front of that tesla coil to add a lot of health to it!

Make sure to get a epic sentry gun placement in front the tesla coil.

#36 TheNecrons

TheNecrons

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:24 PM

I think Coils are more practical. 1 Prism Tower is pretty weak (2 shots to kill a Conscript, Lol!), and to add the minimum firepower possibile to it you have to spend another 1500, wich is huge (+ Power Plant).

With 1500+500 you have a realy strong Tesla Coil (1 shot puts Grizzly's health to red), and to set it at maximum power, you just spend 1500 more (for Allies is a total of 6100=4500 + 1600 for pps). And for Soviets you don't need more Tesla Reactors.

3 Prism Towers insta-kill anything, but who will spend 6100?
2600 (1500 + 500 + 600 for power) are much more cost-effective, and are still less than 3000 (2 Prisms).

#37 ExpaNd

ExpaNd

RanDoMiZer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3828 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:27 PM

I think Coils are more practical. 1 Prism Tower is pretty weak (2 shots to kill a Conscript, Lol!), and to add the minimum firepower possibile to it you have to spend another 1500, wich is huge (+ Power Plant).

With 1500+500 you have a realy strong Tesla Coil (1 shot puts Grizzly's health to red), and to set it at maximum power, you just spend 1500 more (for Allies is a total of 6100=4500 + 1600 for pps). And for Soviets you don't need more Tesla Reactors.

2600 (1500 + 500 + 600 for power) are much more cost-effective, and are still less than 3000 (2 Prisms).

On yr, 2 prism towers insta kill anything on certain maps, mostly desert maps. Just fyi.

Also one block of wall in front of tesla coil or prism tower adds a lot of health! But. I know I'm the only person who uses walls lol

#38 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:50 PM

On yr, 2 prism towers insta kill anything on certain maps, mostly desert maps. Just fyi.

That's due to a map bug.

One answer, ore purifier.

#39 ExpaNd

ExpaNd

RanDoMiZer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3828 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:08 PM

That's due to a map bug.

Yeah but there are enough bugged maps that actually make this knowledge useful

Edited by ExpaNd, 05 August 2014 - 03:09 PM.

#40 TheNecrons

TheNecrons

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:28 PM

I don't think it's a bug. Prism technology uses solar energy i belive, and on deserts the sun is more powerfull, ya?

#41 ExpaNd

ExpaNd

RanDoMiZer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3828 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:55 PM

I don't think it's a bug. Prism technology uses solar energy i belive, and on deserts the sun is more powerfull, ya?

It's not just desert maps, and not every desert map does it, it's most likely a bug, but allied are underpowered anyways so it usually gives them some help!

#42 hardman

hardman

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10521 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:32 PM

And if it was intentional it would be the case for prism tanks as well right?

#43 oldcarp

oldcarp

Bring back YR!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:01 PM

Placing a single wall in front of rhinos attacking your base is a very good and underutilized tactic.

#44 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:12 PM

Bombed terror drones is huge waste.

I still think droning chrono miners is very good even at high level play. It takes a dece bit of time to kill the drone + your opponent has to move his miners. Of course, if used solely by itself it's pretty wasteful, but combined with an attack or two it actually helps and is very easy to pull off since once you send a couple drones to his miners you can focus on other things quite easily, whereas he has to take more time to get rid of the drones.

Placing a single wall in front of rhinos attacking your base is a very good and underutilized tactic.

better to just get a sentry gun.

I'd call it a bug.

-Snipers, or great Britain in general, is extremely underused, even though they are good. U get an afc, an ifv and a sniper, while the sov has his 2nd fac. America and korea put much better use to the afc to combat rhinos to compensate for them often being slower to get up to multiple facs. 

I agree that GB is underused, but allies are underused in general. Also, it's worth mentioning that playing as GB is pretty tough in a lot of cases as even with a sniper ifv it takes 2 hits to kill a desolator... meaning to instantly kill 5 desolators out of a flak track would require 10 sniper ifvs. 

#45 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:43 PM

i think walls are under used- i never use them but for sure if tanks are attacking a structure a piece of wall badly delays the attack- this can allow you the time to repair the building with an engineer and produce tanks/drones

#46 ZiGZaG

ZiGZaG

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5085 posts
  • XWIS Name: Freedom

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:00 AM

That's due to a map bug.

Incorrect. Prizim towers on Yr have different level's of damage depending on terrain type. I have no idea why but ive noticed this over the years.

#47 TheNecrons

TheNecrons

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:57 AM

Demolition Truck in Littile Big Lake is usefull? And Terrorists in the same map?

It's better to you them in SvS or SvA?

I'm sure terrorists are good (send them from both directions and Flak Truck from Warfactory to kill Rockies). But Demo Truck i don't think so. When you here the global "My truck is loaded" just rush (i usually go 0 Miners) and kill the Truck in his base, or at least intercet it. Then outtank.

If we could improve the Demo, what do you think is better:

1) More speed
2) Better Armor
?

#48 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:27 AM

not $1500 would be my go... $500

#49 dsector

dsector

Captain

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3696 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:32 AM

a sniper ifv it takes 2 hits to kill a desolator...

You've said this in another topic but it's not true. Only takes a shot.

EDIT: It does take two :blushing: Even an elite sniper ifv takes two shots (with a veteran sniper inside).

Edited by dsector, 07 August 2014 - 07:27 PM.

#50 DylHole

DylHole

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4864 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:35 AM

if this game had fog of war so many more strategies would be possible

shame really...

i think martino proposed this years ago..?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users