#1 TheNecrons

TheNecrons

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:52 PM

Hello there,

I made this topic to try finding some good usages of underated units in the game.

For example:

-Some reasone to train Flak Troopers?
-Some reasone to train Tesla Troopers?
-Some reasone to train Crazy Ivan?
-Some reasone/way to use Terror Drone against battle tanks (no Miners)?
-Other units you know.

I find Flak Troopers good when small group of Rockies is attacking your base (like your refs). You just build 3 Flak Troopers and rape them. You will not stop Tank production!
So for me they work as static defense for your buildings.

For Tesla Troopers i didn't find any cost-effective usage. This is sad thing, beacuse they are just too strong (good armor, firepower as Grizzlies i think, and* uncrushable*!!!!). The problem is thier range and speed. If they were faster and had longer range, they'll just be a deadly and OP fodder.

Crazy Ivan can be usefull for Derricks, but its hard to sneak them (opponent builds Pills/Sentries). Good only for fun (Kamikaze Flack Truck for example).

Can Terror Drones been used for Grizzlies/Rhinos or Mirage and Prisms?
No one build them (well only in SvS, but i think it's lame). I just love them and want to find some other usages.

#2 DylHole

DylHole

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4864 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:10 PM

i don't know if i should reveal this...

but cuban terrorists inside an ifv is straight up OP

#3 TheNecrons

TheNecrons

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:38 PM

Its similar to Demolition Truck but much faster (but do less damage). In RA2 it's proven that speed is better than brute force.

I didn't find usless units for Allies....i mean, Flak/Tesla Troopers are never used. Chrono Leg is occasionally used however...

#4 ExpaNd

ExpaNd

RanDoMiZer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3828 posts
  • XWIS Name: ExpaNd

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:41 PM

Tesla troopers are good if you need time to save your buildings from a split until your tanks get there.
Flak troopers are good against Korea if you don't Want toslow down tank production, or like you said in your post :)

Drones are good if you can get an allied airplane. Or you can sneak a drone Into an enemies moving tank that's traveling into hos army and maybe he won't notice, also you can send two drones to attack an army of tanks while attacking with your tanks and make sure to click on the tanks that don't have drones j. Them .

Crazy ivans are usually used to destroy oil derricks, or in yr I used to crazy Ivan dogs lol, it's kind of funny and idk what purpose it would serve... But who knows.

#5 TheNecrons

TheNecrons

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:01 AM

Off topic:
Grizzly vs Tesla Trooper, 1v1 battle, who will win?

#6 ExpaNd

ExpaNd

RanDoMiZer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3828 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:35 AM

Grizzly if u run around in a circle

#7 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:05 AM

Flak troopers: Good for building before attacking (in large groups 5+) so you don't have to slow tank production, although generally speaking flak tracks are superior. It's also important to note that having several flak troopers grouped together can kill dogs and other infantry units pretty easily. These units also leet up pretty quickly and their elite version is quite superior as well.

Tesla troopers: They are useful for making tesla coils range longer and more powerful, they are actually very good vs tanks but their range is short making their usefulness pretty difficult to use. The elite tesla trooper is extremely powerful, however.

Crazy Ivans are actually a pretty useful unit. They are more powerful on Yuri's Revenge than on Red alert 2. On YR they can kill a war factory or refinery in 1 hit, but on RA2 it leaves 1 bar of health. Sending an ivan in a flak while attacking/defending is pretty good because you can kill barracks/battle labs/ allied airport/powerplants in 1 hit. They can also be used to place a bomb on a bridge and blow it up. You can place bombs on 5 conscripts and place them into a flak track to kill war factories/refineries. And, of course, they can kill derricks in 1 hit which is what they are most used for.

Terror drones are one of the most powerful and underused units in the game. They can be used to completely win a base trade or desecrate an army of grizzly tanks. If 9 terror drones are iron curtained they can also destroy an entire land army.... When a tank is infected with an iron curtain'ed drone and you force fire on it, the drone still lives. Drones are also the most effective way to kill desolators. They are good against apocalypse tanks, tank destroyers, and for killing demolition trucks.

Edited by Seke, 31 July 2014 - 01:06 AM.

#8 TheNecrons

TheNecrons

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:56 AM

Thanks for that answer Seke!
Three questions:

1) Is the 5-Dynamited-Conscripts considerid lame?
2) Does Tesla Coil's firepower grows until you reach 3 Tesla Troopers charging it? Or it stops when only one is there? (I already know that 3 Troopers will make it remain online even with Power offline, but i'm speaking about firepower).
3) Do you think are there usless Allies units? Maybe the Nighthawk Transport?

#9 AMadKirov

AMadKirov

Bad?Aim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1093 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:01 AM

Not in artic circle and all the naval maps where soviets has to build a naval yard instead a Warfactory, Why is it a bad trade? Well i dont know about others players but i rush supers in naval maps.

Edited by AMadKirov, 31 July 2014 - 04:02 AM.

#10 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:51 AM

Thanks for that answer Seke!
Three questions:

1) Is the 5-Dynamited-Conscripts considerid lame?
2) Does Tesla Coil's firepower grows until you reach 3 Tesla Troopers charging it? Or it stops when only one is there? (I already know that 3 Troopers will make it remain online even with Power offline, but i'm speaking about firepower).

1. no

2. I don't think so

3. tank destroyer is pretty useless

#11 DylHole

DylHole

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4864 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:54 AM

people need to start putting ivan bombs on drones

#12 DylHole

DylHole

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4864 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:21 AM

look, i made a movie

oh, tesla troopers can be used in flak traks for the best tank fodder too

Attached Files

Edited by DylHole, 31 July 2014 - 10:34 AM.

#13 NSanityHD

NSanityHD

Quello che va in giro ritorna in giro.

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • XWIS Name: IonGenHD

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:44 PM

Good Soviet players who play nothing but tourney's do occasionally, if not all the time use drones within their army of Rhino tanks with a group of dogs. They send the dogs in before the tanks to distract defences and is pretty effective. Though we all know that the Soviet Rhino tanks are more powerful but slower than the Allied Grizzly tanks. ;)

#14 TheNecrons

TheNecrons

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:31 PM

Great tatic DyleHole!

I many times used Distract-with-Rhinos-and-attack-with-Drone. Most of the time at least 1 Drone will infect a Tank, but if opponent retreats Tanks, Drones got killed.

Today a raped a raped an entire army of 25+ Rocketeers with Cloning Vat+Barracks Flak Troopers! Lol, splash damage owns hard.

I don't think that 5 Teslas in Truck are usefull. They mybe able to kill a tank, but then enemy's Tanks will run. 3000$ for something like that is a huge waste.

#15 ExpaNd

ExpaNd

RanDoMiZer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3828 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:58 PM

One building order I use to use in yr(years ago when I was yr nerd) I'd get 6warfacs on country swing, sell mcv build 2 flaks 1for mcvmen and 1 for tesla troops. Tesla troopers are amazing fodder if u can bring the flak into the tank battle while it's already going on!
They are there more for the tanks to shoot at, so your tanks will hit his, and tesla troopers are pretty tough, and unlike dogs they fight back!!

#16 XXxPrePxX

XXxPrePxX

King of Yuris Revenge

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8536 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:41 PM

I don't think that 5 Teslas in Truck are usefull. They mybe able to kill a tank, but then enemy's Tanks will run. 3000$ for something like that is a huge waste.

It's a tactic that is best used on very high resource maps (early gems) and as a rush or when there is not a huge army. A scenario that comes to mind is SvS on Isle of war where you have early gems and good anti scout ability. Where you would make 1 flak with 4-5 tesla troopers and rush with 3-5 rhino tanks, it would be damn hard for an average enemy to defeat that rush as the tesla troopers would take most of the damage while taking out a tank at best. At worst, the tesla troopers get absolutely owned by dogs and you still have enough rhino tanks to have a formidable attack.

#17 TheNecrons

TheNecrons

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:35 PM

This rush looks deadly!

Early Crazy Ivan in Flack Truck is usefull while a rush?

#18 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:49 AM

Deso > tesla

"Early" is debatable, TheNecrons, but after you have 3 miners or so on a high-resource map it can be very good vs. an allied opponent (pressing with tanks early ofc, too.)

Going radar directly after your 1st war factory on any land-map as soviet is generally a mistake

Edited by Seke, 01 August 2014 - 02:49 AM.

#19 DylHole

DylHole

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4864 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:52 AM

tesla doesnt need a radar tho

Edited by DylHole, 01 August 2014 - 02:53 AM.

#20 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:00 AM

tesla doesnt need a radar tho

Yeah :)

#21 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:35 AM

There's a reason to train all of those units, at certain circumstances.

Flak trooper = cheap anti air, ctrl+shift move them with your army vs Korea and you'll have a brutal rush. Their splash attack is very good against rocketeers too.

Tesla trooper = anti armor, good on small maps with tight choke points, ctrl+shift them against approaching tanks or block choke points.

Crazy Ivan = A good demolitions expert with many interesting uses. You can block your opponent's scouting ability and build to a radar fast, then use a flak to transport the Ivan to your opponent and target their war factory place a bomb on it and shoot it with the flak, be careful though if you see your opponent make a engineer you'll need to crush it with the flak before it can defuse the bomb.

Terror Drone = A very useful unit, use it as a distraction or a general nuisance. It can even be used against allied miners, it forces the allied player to teleport the miners and move them near a unit/structure that can damage them, while you can attack from two other flanks to turn it into chaos.
You can mix some drones among your tanks with dogs, in a tank battle send your dogs at the enemy tanks to absorb fire then send the drones in with ctrl+shift. If the opponent keeps chasing your tanks the drones will chew up his tanks, when he attempts to retreat follow him, this doesn't give him a chance to shoot the droned tanks to stop them from jumping to new ones.

There's a lot you can do with all units, you just have to experiment with them, of course I didn't list all of the uses for crazy ivan and the drone.

#22 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:23 AM

Droning allied miners = waste

drone first grizzley or keep it from pursuing your rhinos

maps such as cold war or south pacific make flak first unit, then straight tanks and make radar after warfactory. Pressure with your tanks to distract and put an Ivan in your flak. Use the ivan flak to kill your opponents oil derricks.

#23 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:21 PM

Droning allied miners = waste

I just explained why it's not. I've also used them effectively against good allied players.

#24 TheNecrons

TheNecrons

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:36 PM

2 Drones (much better if dynamited!) in Flak Truck (i don't remember well, it's Truck or Track?) and bring it near enemy Tanks while a Tank fight. Enemy's Tanks well destroy the Flak Truck, and then.....

Like a "Drone bomb" :D

What about "Crazy bomb" (Crazy Ivan in Flack Truck) also?

"Yuri bomb"? O.O

I had tested: Tesla's firepower is a bit weaker than Grizzlies. A Grizzly destroy a Rhino in 7 shots. A Tesla Trooper does it in 8 shots. Still powerfull. Also a Pillbox is no match for 5 Tesla Troopes (they are like 5 Tanks against any Building).

#25 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:48 PM

Not typically practical. If you're learning battle fundamentals I'd recommend practicing effective tank and fodder control

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users