NSanityHD

Quello che va in giro ritorna in giro.

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • XWIS Name: IonGenHD

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:46 AM

Hi.

I still have both my original Red Alert 2 & Yuri's Revenge CD ROMs from back in the day, however(!) since XWIS now has the free installers in the Downloads section for some reason YR and RA2 (or RA2 at least) has missing background music and missing campaigne missions/data files. Now, my question here is... would it be possible for me to reinstall both RA2 & YR from their original CDs but also use my serial on my XWIS account? (By this I mean would I be able to use my purchased XWIS serial on the installation of the game?)

Yuri's Revenge seems to be fine, all of the original data files (audio, music, campaigne missions, movies/moviescenes etc).

Is it possible to fix/repair the RA2 install with it's original files so that I can resolve this blasted "Unable to read scenario" or what ever the error is?

Thank you.

#2 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:38 AM

You can copy and paste the .mix files from all cd's to your game's installation directory to restore the functionality of the CD versions.  Music, Movies, etc...

Unable to read scenario usually appears when there's insufficient time to transfer a map.

#3 NSanityHD

NSanityHD

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:52 AM

You can copy and paste the .mix files from all cd's to your game's installation directory to restore the functionality of the CD versions.  Music, Movies, etc...

Unable to read scenario usually appears when there's insufficient time to transfer a map.

When launching from the XWIS downloaded RA2 "Red Alert 2.exe" and go to Campaigne, it says instantly after selecting "Soviet/Allied/Training" that it is "unable to read scenario". I uninstalled the XWIS RA2 version and installed using my CD but I couldn't continue the installation because I don't know my purchased XWIS serial. I am not sure how to go about continuing? That being said, which .mix files should I try to replace from the CD?

#4 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:45 AM

You need maps, movies, theme.mix. The XWIS version does not include the files needed to play the Campaign, which is why you got that error.

#5 NSanityHD

NSanityHD

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:45 AM

Hmm, copying all of the .mix files didn't fix the "MISSING:" title at the start of the new maps added for the XWIS RA2 installer, however the movies and theme.mix for campaign works.

Thanks Frequenzy.

#6 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:51 PM

You're welcome. You can try deleting xwis.mmx and xwis.cache to re-download the XWIS maps. BTW you also needed maps.mix from both cd's for the campaign.

#7 NSanityHD

NSanityHD

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:32 AM

You're welcome. You can try deleting xwis.mmx and xwis.cache to re-download the XWIS maps. BTW you also needed maps.mix from both cd's for the campaign.

Thanks for your reply again Freq. I ordered a new game with both of the CDs as my other ones started to get "READ errors" from scratches. I'm going to try and install/repair the installation of the game with my new discs. I'll let you know the result.

#8 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:14 AM

Uninstall, run CCleaner and do a clean install.

#9 Speeder

Speeder

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:25 AM

You need maps, movies, theme.mix. The XWIS version does not include the files needed to play the Campaign, which is why you got that error.

Speaking of which, why is it that Red Alert 2 missions are not there but Yuri's Revenge campaign is included? I thought XWIS copies were supposed to be multiplayer-only versions.

Edited by Speeder, 23 July 2014 - 11:27 AM.

#10 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:20 PM

I was always under the impression that no missions are included in either. Maybe a mistake on Olaf's part?

#11 NSanityHD

NSanityHD

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:46 PM

Speaking of which, why is it that Red Alert 2 missions are not there but Yuri's Revenge campaign is included? I thought XWIS copies were supposed to be multiplayer-only versions.

I wondered the same thing.

I was always under the impression that no missions are included in either. Maybe a mistake on Olaf's part?

Edited by IonGeneralHD, 23 July 2014 - 05:46 PM.

#12 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13496 posts
  • XWIS Name: XTF

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:21 PM

They're supposed to, but the YR one isn't.

#13 NSanityHD

NSanityHD

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:39 PM

They're supposed to, but the YR one isn't.

So in a sense then, we'd have to use our RA2 CDs (if owned) to make use of the campaign missions or can we transfer the mix files properly over to the XWIS RA2 installation? I tried myself, however I may have accidentally messed it up as it didn't work the way I expected. :unsure:

#14 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • 13496 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:40 PM

Right

#15 NSanityHD

NSanityHD

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:48 PM

Okay. Well so much for messing around with the files trying to get the XWIS maps and stuff into my CD-version installation.. FML

#16 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:28 PM

Why did you remove the download for the xwis patch Olaf? It added compatibility for CD installations.

Now people are forced to use the XWIS MP client and have to mess around with mix files to attain a fully functional game, to which there is no guide as well.

#17 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • 13496 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:46 AM

Because people appeared to be confused and installed both the MP only download and the patch.

#18 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:42 AM

Maybe there should be a defining portion of descriptive text accompanying the sections of the post that contain the download links?

People can read still can't they?

#19 NSanityHD

NSanityHD

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:59 PM

Because people appeared to be confused and installed both the MP only download and the patch.

Maybe there should be a defining portion of descriptive text accompanying the sections of the post that contain the download links?

Then again, would XWIS even be allowed to make a full game installation with all it's original files in the installer or would that violate Westwood's copyright of the game?

#20 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:44 PM

Then again, would XWIS even be allowed to make a full game installation with all it's original files in the installer or would that violate Westwood's copyright of the game?

It probably does. XWIS doesn't own the rights, but lets cross our fingers and hope EA continues to ignore it. :p

Edited by FReQuEnZy, 24 July 2014 - 03:44 PM.

#21 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • 13496 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:07 PM

They're supposed to be able to, but often it's problematic. :p

#22 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:10 PM

Using big bold fonts often helps with that, also on what license do you provide the multiplayer client with?

The original game installation includes a a license agreement, but the MP client contains nothing of the sort, as far as I know that's a tad bit illegal.

#23 NSanityHD

NSanityHD

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:59 PM

Sorry to bump this thread again, but the issue I am having relates to this and there is no point in making a whole new topic about the same thing.

So as you know (or may not know), I purchased a new game as my other discs were too badly scratched. I reinstalled RA2 from my new discs, been playing fine for a week or so almost.. (Frequenzy and Edd have seen me on as well) but I am unfortunately limited to the default set of maps that are given from the disc installation. I copied over the language.mix and ra2.mix files from the XWIS RA2 multiplayer installation to my retail edition and these two screenshots were the result:
screen1.jpg screen2.jpg
I am unsure on how to proceed with this as it's pissing me off on a huge scale.. (apologies for the use of language) Could anyone help me with this and direct me in the right path of fixing this issue?

(And no...I'm not going to use the XWIS multiplayer install version as it is not the "FULL" version of the game.

#24 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:21 PM

Your maps seem bugged, they are usually followed by player counts such as(2-4). You may try using the unofficial patch http://cncftw.com/forums/Thread-c-c-red-alert-2-unofficial-patch-version-1-6-8

It allows you to retain the full version of the game while using XWIS add-ons. If you encounter any problems let me know, be sure to double check the install path on the patch to ensure a problem free installation.

#25 NSanityHD

NSanityHD

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:35 PM

Your maps seem bugged, they are usually followed by player counts such as(2-4). You may try using the unofficial patch http://cncftw.com/forums/Thread-c-c-red-alert-2-unofficial-patch-version-1-6-8
It allows you to retain the full version of the game while using XWIS add-ons. If you encounter any problems let me know, be sure to double check the install path on the patch to ensure a problem free installation.

Just read the improvements/changes details in the topic you provided...and I kinda don't like the screenshot changes. :L Is it possible to install the maps patch without changing my game? I just want to keep the game to it's original/retail stage without having intros and launch screens and themes changed. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users