89 replies to this topic

#26 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:12 PM

alaskan outback is a great map.... one of the more difficult maps to play and offers an unlimited  number of build orders and expansions.

attacking at multiple places is key, and as a result forces players to split more making the game very high active with high micro...

#27 OlafxD

OlafxD

Mr. Rank 1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8529 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:24 PM

lol'd, complete bs as usual

sorry to say

#28 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:16 PM

It has a very limited number of builds due to the poorly sized (far too small) ore patches.
As for making changes to the map pool- well perhaps when Olaf is back, but I think that's in 3 weeks.

I agree tho, Alaskan is not suitable for the quick match.

#29 ExpaNd

ExpaNd

RanDoMiZer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3828 posts
  • XWIS Name: ExpaNd

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:36 PM

alaskan outback is a great map.... one of the more difficult maps to play and offers an unlimited number of build orders and expansions.

attacking at multiple places is key, and as a result forces players to split more making the game very high active with high micro...

More like a sparring map, with no point to it. Just a battlefield thats huge!

Edited by ExpaNd, 15 May 2014 - 10:37 PM.

#30 OlafxD

OlafxD

Mr. Rank 1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8529 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:10 PM

It has a very limited number of builds due to the poorly sized (far too small) ore patches.
As for making changes to the map pool- well perhaps when Olaf is back, but I think that's in 3 weeks.

I agree tho, Alaskan is not suitable for the quick match.

ok, thanks for letting me know.

damn that olaf has some nice holidays :cool2:

#31 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:43 AM

Well, Martin basically made the map based on the fact I asked him for a large 2v2 map with multiple ore fields... I like the map, but yah, games there can be long

#32 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:54 AM

More like a sparring map, with no point to it. Just a battlefield thats huge!

You just don't see the strategical depth to it. It's got a lot to it. Some top players like Tim and Marko and latof seem to know how to play it..

No really long games, just takes more of a strategic mind to play it well. as for what Josh said the BO's on that map are only limited by play style.
Considering I've never seen you try anything crazy or out of the box, besides standard sovs, amongst many players who belong in the same category.
The opinions for the map remain the same from players of such categories, Mason and myself are used to trying new unorthodox strategies thus we like the map because of the freedom it offers for a creative mind.

I recall some one talking about Tim using a 'crazy' bo of making an early 2nd mcv on that map for fast expanding. There's one out of the box thinker, the map was designed as a long game map as ra2 doesn't have many. It's designed for testing skills as well with it's balanced layout, thus it does belong in the competitive arena. I can see that nowdays most players would much rather have all the maps play and feel the same for quick instant nostaligc gratification which could be interpreted as fun for some.

#33 ExpaNd

ExpaNd

RanDoMiZer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3828 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:42 PM

You just don't see the strategical depth to it. It's got a lot to it. Some top players like Tim and Marko and latof seem to know how to play it..

No really long games, just takes more of a strategic mind to play it well. as for what Josh said the BO's on that map are only limited by play style.
Considering I've never seen you try anything crazy or out of the box, besides standard sovs, amongst many players who belong in the same category.
The opinions for the map remain the same from players of such categories, Mason and myself are used to trying new unorthodox strategies thus we like the map because of the freedom it offers for a creative mind.

I recall some one talking about Tim using a 'crazy' bo of making an early 2nd mcv on that map for fast expanding. There's one out of the box thinker, the map was designed as a long game map as ra2 doesn't have many. It's designed for testing skills as well with it's balanced layout, thus it does belong in the competitive arena. I can see that nowdays most players would much rather have all the maps play and feel the same for quick instant nostaligc gratification which could be interpreted as fun for some.

Lol talking to the wrong person, I play all maps and countries and try to use all strategies...however Tomi's point still stands.

It's a big map, it's you and your opponent.
I guess there are key points to take on it, but it's just a huge arena.

Like I said you assume too much, I like the map.
But it doesn't force action

Edited by ExpaNd, 26 May 2014 - 04:47 PM.

#34 OlafxD

OlafxD

Mr. Rank 1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8529 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:36 AM

yo stop trying bro, your map is bullcrap.

#35 J0ni

J0ni

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts
  • XWIS Name: Joni

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:21 PM

i <3 alaskan outback

but can u guys add snowball, sinkhole and bonanza for qm, those i like to play and ra2 needs more maps like those.

#36 Shauny

Shauny

EF Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8667 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:08 PM

Bonanza haha

#37 ExpaNd

ExpaNd

RanDoMiZer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3828 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:09 PM

i <3 alaskan outback

but can u guys add snowball, sinkhole and bonanza for qm, those i like to play and ra2 needs more maps like those.

Snowballs chance was a fun 2v2 cm map. Back when clanners had the balls to play more then a couple maps

#38 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:54 PM

Snowballs chance was a fun 2v2 cm map. Back when clanners had the balls to play more then a couple maps

snowballs chance is pretty weak, but yes

#39 Sander1990

Sander1990

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:50 PM

Alaskan outback is beautiful but does indeed paralyse any sense of what to do / conquer.
The map should be remade.

As for the Path more traveled by:
I did made the map very small and just like TOE longer games can be boring.
Maby remake it again with more room in top and botom for less restrictions in moving around and splitting.

Edited by Sander1990, 19 June 2014 - 02:51 PM.

#40 OlafxD

OlafxD

Mr. Rank 1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8529 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:31 PM

i think the map is excellent the way it is now.

u got 3 oils, 1 airport, alot of garissons. splits are still possible - paths are large enough.

you can early-midgame fight over garrisons - middle ore/gems, distract with paras, try to destroy airport, do some tricky splits/attacks, etc.

i think the map has alot of possibilities, ive played it lots, and none of the games ended up in campy games, much more in being active from the start until the end.

may be my style of playing but i can think of other maps where camping is way more easily and actually worth it (which shouldnt be, imo)

when i think of maps like amazonas delta, etc where camping is ez, u got nothing to fight for like on the path more traveled by.

p.s. i still think alaskan outback is the worst map ever and added to qm.

once again, i see no point in having such a large map (having 20k all the time and reactiontime of 2hours), like if you make a map that large, atleast add some oils/airforces and water to give some more variance.

#41 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:58 PM

Alaskan outback is beautiful but does indeed paralyse any sense of what to do / conquer.

That was the whole idea, to offer freedom, all other maps offer a set bo and the preferd playstyle that always comes out on top.

On Alaskan Outback you can choose which style to play and how you want to expand. Each build order path has it's weaknesses and strenghts.

I would blame that feel you're getting from the map on the static nature of all the other maps.

If you've played for years and QMed a lot you would see how every map is stuck in it's set build orders.

#42 OlafxD

OlafxD

Mr. Rank 1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8529 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:14 PM

not meaning to sound rude or anything, but i sometimes dont get the logic and thinking of some people.

i'd love to know what build orders you're talking about, and also which weaknesses and strenghts.

you might be able to use alot of different bo's, but it doesnt matter at all which one you use, because it wont affect your opponent in any way, unlike on any other map which takes skills.

p.s. ive played qm for years and i totally disagree with you, there are alot of good maps where you can use various bo's/strategies to dominate a game.

unlike on alaskan where its ALWAYS the same game:

it might be fun to build up your base and spam miners and randomly send tanks around the map, but its no fun if you're into active, fast, competitive and skilled plays, which QM always was meant for.

dont get me wrong, the map could be perfect for 2v2 ffg's where you just chill and build up, or when you wrongly think you're playing simcity.

Edited by Tomi, 19 June 2014 - 06:28 PM.

#43 ExpaNd

ExpaNd

RanDoMiZer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3828 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:05 PM

Lost lake >Alaskan outback

#44 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:38 PM

Alaskan ore patches are too small. As a result players are forced to move/build a new refinery every second minute; this restricts build strategies and largely dictates the gameplay as well.

#45 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:46 AM

Yet on most of the maps with large ore patches it's just a factory spam with a minor need for expansions.. Most of the new QM maps are "get rich fast" maps. There's no real eco management.

I guess I'm the only one on ra2 who likes a high macro game.

#46 ALiTheGreatest

ALiTheGreatest

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:53 AM

Alaskan ore patches are too small. As a result players are forced to move/build a new refinery every second minute; this restricts build strategies and largely dictates the gameplay as well.

same could be said for infinity. all in all its too large for a 1v1 map

#47 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:11 AM

I agree about ore distribution on infinity, but I think the map size is fine. The oil walls promote sell rushes too IMO

#48 lmworried

lmworried

Korean Warlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:36 AM

Alaskan outback is the worst map ever.

#49 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:58 PM

You're all the worst idiots ever, find another map to diss. Go play DC uprising or something vs easy bots and leave my fucking map alone.

#50 ExpaNd

ExpaNd

RanDoMiZer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3828 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:35 PM

Oh for some reason I thought Alaskan outback was arctic circle lol!
Lost lake needs to be a qm map.

And Martin, put an AFC in the middle of Alaskan outback and random barracks everywhere then it's gg :cool2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users