15 replies to this topic

#1 dpallace

dpallace

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:54 AM

Hi all, thanks for this forum and the provision to still play RA2 online, 11 years on!

Have re-installed RA2 on my PC and can play the game fine, graphics issues sorted and even playing online with XWIS.

My problem is audio. In game all I can hear is music, the units, buildings and announcements make no sound! It's hard to play with no alerts and not hearing anything that's going on. Out of game all of the buttons and menu sounds are fine.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

#2 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:36 PM

More information would be appreciated.

Medium installed from, original 2 CD, TFD DVD, XWIS download, Origin download or CnCFTW download.
Operating System
Hardware Spec
CPU
GPU
RAM
MOBO

#3 dpallace

dpallace

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:46 PM

Hi CnCFTW Team Leader,

I have some but not all of those answers, I hope this is enough?

Processor: Intel core 2 cpu 6600 @2.40 ghz 900 mhz

RAM 2 GB
Windows Vista SP 2 32 Bit OS
Graphics: Radeon X1600 / X1650 Series
Sound: Realtek HD Audio

Installed and re-installed to check if that was the issue from Original RA2 disks

Thanks!

Edited by dpallace, 19 March 2014 - 03:47 PM.

#4 AlliedPlayer

AlliedPlayer

Allied BOSS

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15264 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:56 PM

Turn speakers on, this usually solves sound problems

#5 dsector

dsector

Captain

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3696 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:32 PM

Did you check the sound settings in the RA2 options? Perhaps you accidentally moved one of the sound sliders to the left.

#6 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:04 PM

Enable compatibility mode for all of RA2's executable.

Go to the game directory, select ra2.exe, right click on the executable, select properties from the menu, go to compatibility, select run in compatibility mode for windows 98,tick the box saying run as administrator.

Repeat this for game.exe and mph.exe.

If this doesn't work then other options that you can consider are.

1. Turn off UAC and reinstall the game and/or reinstall your sound device drivers.

Use google to find instructions for any of the above.

Edited by FReQuEnZy, 19 March 2014 - 06:05 PM.

#7 dpallace

dpallace

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:31 PM

Thanks. 

Had it running all .exe on XP SP 2 in compatability settings. Have checked drivers, seem to be up to date.

Will have another fiddle around and get back to you guys. Thanks for the help so far! 

PS

Speakers on and slider bars as they should be...

#8 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:02 PM

Have checked drivers, seem to be up to date.

I meant, reinstall them incase there's installation problems.

#9 dpallace

dpallace

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:27 PM

Right, tried all of that, no change.

Then got to the drivers... These were for a Realtek High Definition Audio Device, embedded as part of the motherboard (Intel R AWRDACPI). The PC originally shipped with everything installed and Windows XP. It has since been upgraded to Windows Vista with no known issues remaining...other than the RA2 sound issue, which I now suspect is a result of the XP > Vista transition. The Realtek Audio Manager program knew it wasn't the right software for Vista as it had a message when you checked in the settings (although RA2 is the only time any problem has ever manifested itself).

The PC was running with Realtek High Definition Audio using driver version 5.10.0.5265, I upgraded this (I think) to the latest driver pack I could find on the Realtek website for HD Audio for Windows Vista 32 bit...the program installed fine and operates well...but something has gone very wrong with the hardware - software communication. All I have now is a Realtek HD Audio DIGITAL OUTPUT which clearly gives me nothing on my analogue speakers so I have no sound on the PC at all.

Windows kindly deleted the restore point that I created this morning and a driver roll-back using DriverMax has not worked so far.

You guys got any ideas? I know this is my fault for swimming beyond my depth and will post / seek help elsewhere if you have no ideas.

Thanks!

#10 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:45 PM

Contact REALTEK support. You could also upgrade to windows 7..

#11 dpallace

dpallace

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:53 PM

Have e-mailed Realtek now...not overly optimistic about their response.

Windows 7 has crossed my mind, Vista is like an XP - 7 middle ground which is a piece of $#!@

I wonder if I might have even more problems with the rest of the drivers for motherboard components if I did so though...

Thanks!

#12 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13498 posts
  • XWIS Name: XTF

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:08 AM

If you have a spare HDD/SSD you could try W7 on it and revert back to Vista if it doesn't work.

#13 ZiGZaG

ZiGZaG

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5085 posts
  • XWIS Name: Freedom

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:45 AM

There are 2 main Realtek Audio drivers, Both can be downloaded from google, sounds like you have the wrong one. Try the other main driver, its called realtek AC 97 audio driver.

You can install win7 directly ontop of Vista with the option of a roll back/uninstall if you need it.

#14 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:09 PM

I've had problems with the Realtek audio before, while using Vista. How ever my primary sound device was a Creative X-Fi so it was a quick solution.

On Windows 7 both worked fine.

#15 dpallace

dpallace

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:41 PM

Thank you all very, very much! Miraculously I managed to get it sorted last night...sound back and I can confirm that your diagnosis of dodgy drivers was in fact correct. Game running perfectly now.

I had already attempted installing both drivers but Vista wouldn't accept the install of the AC 97 Audio Driver. I actually don't know what happened in the end that got it working, I was fiddling a lot with the sound manager stuff and even had to change some .reg files which was again me way beyond my depth!

Anyway, thanks for your input from the beginning because you have improved the Red Alert 2 experience in my house no end!

Mods - this has been solved and may be useful to be locked for future searches. 

#16 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:27 PM

For future reference disable UAC on Windows Vista to prevent further issues. You're welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users