There are a few shortcuts to getting better on the game. rumblesom already mentioned most of them, also use a very high resolution and make sure your mouse-sensitivity is exactly how high you want it.
In order to really become good though you need to practise alot, keep playing vs good players. Also dont play on maps with crates, funny big map, rekool or whatever. These kinds of maps will make you learn a way different playstyle (sit in your base and building up) that wont be practical in "real" matches where you need to keep being aggressive, scout the map early on (you cant get spysat for example) and just overall take map control and micro alot of units at the same time. On noob maps, like those earlier mentioned, you wont develope these kind of skills since they arent as needed there since those maps are mostly about sitting in your base building 500 apocs or prismtanks then attacking.
- Use a very high reso+perfect mouse sensetivity.
- Use shortcuts and scroll while holding down right-mouse button.
- Make sure you number ur tanks, rockies and so on into separate groups.
- Try to be as fast as possible with building placement and production.
- Learn each units weakness/strenghts so you can counter it the right way.
- Watch alot of pro players on youtube.
-Try to pay attention to everything, what your enemy is doing and what yourself is doing, check minimap for splits/rockies and paras.
- Make sure your ore ref placement is right at the gems/ore. Always go for gems first. Make sure you mine the ore/gems as efficiently as possible.
- Scout your opponent+vital parts of the map with dogs.
- Dont play noob-maps.
- Play alot vs good players, ask them for tips.
- Be aggressive and take every opportunity you can to preasure your opponent. Is his miner undefended? well attack it, is his oil derrick unprotected split 1-2 tanks to it and attack it.
- Play good countries. Dont play cuba/russia etc... Try to stick to Iraq or America imo.
- Having better economy then your opponent is very good. If he goes 0miners you can go 1, if he goes 1 you can usually go 2 etc... 1 more miner then your opponent is a good rule of thumb. Well unless he goes like 2-3 miners then going 0miner rush can often be the right way to do things.
- Mix in dogs with your tanks, keep the dogs infront of your tanks at all time. As soviet you can also use conscripts/dog combo for this.
- Send in one connie or gi into important neutral structures.
- Make sure you know exactly how the map looks like so you can build on it the best way possible without having to think to much about it.
- Its good to have a sentry or flak cannon/patriot ready at all time depending on who your facing and what he is building. If your facing an allied for example and he has many rockies, make sure you got your flak cannon rdy to place down under the rockies if needed etc...
- Grizzlys and rhinos is the backbone of the army, use these units ALOT, most other units provide support or fills a niche of some sort.
- Dont tech up to early, (some exceptions to this though) this will impact your tank production and is 19/20 games a bad idea.
- Capture any oil derricks/neutral airports on map.
- If you see a drone, run your tanks kinda close to it so it engages then run away hopefully killing the drone without it jumping on you, if you get drones its usually best to just ctrl key kill the droned unit.
Well thats all i can think of for now.
Edited by Drasten, 14 February 2014 - 11:25 AM.