107 replies to this topic

#51 Iran

Iran

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:47 PM

It should work on win 8.1 already if you use the miniTS (TiberianSun_Online_Installer.exe), if it doesnt work properly then type "/get win8-fix" in the main chat lobby

That doesn't fix Windows 8. It allows players to play with extreme lag which ruins online matches.

EDIT: Okay FunkyFr3sh now put in something that works in fullscreen mode lags in windowed.

Edited by Iran, 13 January 2014 - 07:10 PM.

#52 FrzFlame

FrzFlame

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • XWIS Name: North

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:29 PM

I have Windows 7 and when I boot the game it instantly freezes and will only move forward if I use the windows button to minimize the game. Doing that will refresh it to the next instant but is still frozen upon reopening. I don't have the patiance to trouble shoot this. I assume I'm not the first person to have this problem. And no.. I won't be using any kind of search function as I will be equally as happy not playing at all as I will be getting on again and playing a few games for old time sake.

#53 zMarsHz

zMarsHz

Colonel

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5788 posts
  • XWIS Name: voZ

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:50 PM

planning on a ra2 ladder system, as a loyal member of xwis since day one, I've been screaming for f2p to fix this game and it's activity level.

if you make ra2 with a working ladder, well you will actually have me join and leave xwis in the dust as all our suggestions have been put on the back burner for so many years. (this includes the TS players as well)

thank you, looks as if the server is doing well and you have a lot of potential on building a legendary cnc server imo

#54 ImNewButOld

ImNewButOld

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:26 AM

planning on a ra2 ladder system, as a loyal member of xwis since day one, I've been screaming for f2p to fix this game and it's activity level.

if you make ra2 with a working ladder, well you will actually have me join and leave xwis in the dust as all our suggestions have been put on the back burner for so many years. (this includes the TS players as well)

thank you, looks as if the server is doing well and you have a lot of potential on building a legendary cnc server imo

If this is going to happen ill volunteer to rank CnCNet in Google on important keywords.

#55 FrzFlame

FrzFlame

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:46 AM

It's amazing to me that people couldn't give a single shit about any feature on any of these games other than a working rank ladder. And after 10 years of private servers it's the one thing no one has ever been able to produce.

Why is a rank ladder so god damn hard to create?

Edited by FrzFlame, 14 January 2014 - 12:50 AM.

#56 hifi

hifi

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:39 AM

Why is a rank ladder so god damn hard to create?

For me it's security. The security model of WOL is flawed for game results and because "private servers" are always WOL clones (except CnCNet) they inherit the broken security model. IIRC the game result packet is sent out-of-band to gameres server and it believes whatever you tell it. If someone knows better, please correct me.

Also because we're not a WOL server, it needs to be built from ground up for CnCNet 5 thinking security first. I doubt you'd want anyone sending bogus results under your name. Also a ladder requires some web frontend, ability to administrate and solve possible conflicts or missing results. Compared to plain playing it's much more complicated system as it spans many different platforms and requires actual administration.

I'm not saying we're not doing it or it would be too hard, just that it takes a lot of work and planning to execute it properly.

TL;DR: I'm lazy.

#57 FrzFlame

FrzFlame

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:02 AM

Well, I'm glad you are confident that you can do it provided that you put in the effort. Back when I was a regular part of the community all the people that attempted private servers tried pretty hard, failed, gave up, and blamed it on the bitching of the player base.

On a side note, does no one know how to fix my inability to play the game on my new computer?

#58 Iran

Iran

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:18 AM

Try placing this file in your game folder: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x10hvfosgn0k0mp/ddraw.dll .

Seems other people are having the same issue.

#59 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13498 posts
  • XWIS Name: XTF

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:51 AM

It's EA's decision to make the game freeware, not ours, so you've been screaming at the wrong people.
Besides, it's not like being freeware worked great for TS, is it?

#60 hifi

hifi

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:02 AM

Back when I was a regular part of the community all the people that attempted private servers tried pretty hard, failed, gave up, and blamed it on the bitching of the player base.

Writing a WOL clone to rival XWIS is completely futile. You can't make it "much" better than it already is. Also every player base of every game is full of bitching people, you just need to learn to deal with it (read: ignore). This has worked pretty well so far. CnCNet exists for our fun and enjoyment of working on the games rather than trying to spontaneously fork a community off XWIS which is what others have tried. People have moved over from other services (Tunngle, Kali, etc.) for their own reasons, not because we told them to (maybe a little).

Running a service and interacting with the players is something that is destined to go wrong at some point. Keeping a neutral stance and distance is my secret sauce which hopefully works for a long time. I don't play any of the C&C games either.

Edited by hifi, 14 January 2014 - 09:03 AM.

#61 Drasten

Drasten

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:02 AM

Been reading the thread for a while now. Seems very intressting what your doing hifi! One key point for me is player-activity though. How many ra2 players are usually online using this service? Also i assume its v1.006 and it has to be a non cd-key crack to function properly right? That is quite easy to get for free though. If someone made a few screenshoots on how it looked when you booted up ra2 using this service, it would be sweet. So we could get a better view on how it looks and how big the player base is.

Also, is cheating possible on this server? Cheating is quite a common problem on game-ranger for example and xwis have anti-cheat rules that basicly bans ppl if they are spot cheating. For instance fog hack, and build anywhere cheats.

How is it lag-wize in ra2? Is the lag roughly the same as on xwis or?

#62 hifi

hifi

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:13 AM

Been reading the thread for a while now. Seems very intressting what your doing hifi! One key point for me is player-activity though. How many ra2 players are usually online using this service? Also i assume its v1.006 and it has to be a non cd-key crack to function properly right? That is quite easy to get for free though. If someone made a few screenshoots on how it looked when you booted up ra2 using this service, it would be sweet. So we could get a better view on how it looks and how big the player base is.

Also, is cheating possible on this server? Cheating is quite a common problem on game-ranger for example and xwis have anti-cheat rules that basicly bans ppl if they are spot cheating. For instance fog hack, and build anywhere cheats.

How is it lag-wize in ra2? Is the lag roughly the same as on xwis or?

It's not just me, it's mostly not me, Iran and FunkyFr3sh have done most of the work regarding CnCNet 5.

We don't currently have RA2 support in CnCNet 5. CnCNet 4 RA2 support is plain LAN lobby. You don't need any "cracks" to play except possibly nocd because it on some occasions prevents loading up CnCNet 4 wsock32.dll. There are no cd-key checks at all because we don't have anything to compare them against. We're very anti-piracy so we don't encourage any illegal activity and instead provide links to buy The First Decade.

Iran has done some anticheat improvements to TS, similiar ones are propably possible for RA2 too. However, as RA2 is not free we can't distribute our "fixes" the same way as we do with the older games to avoid any legal hassle with EA.

Iran has also made netcode improvements for both TS and RA that make the game more snappy than original. They are not limited to CnCNet though and he's been asking for people to test them on XWIS.

#63 Iran

Iran

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:18 AM

TS still has choppy lag when playing with laggy players. I updated my code to lower this (seems to work when me and Lovehandles are running torrents but it needs to be tested in public) but FunkyFr3sh still needs to push updates, including the game option to enable/disable build off ally, superweapons and hunter seeker. There's also the same crashes you get in TS when playing on XWIS mid-game because CCHyper's fix for WaveClass error doesn't fix. I added a workaround for that yesterday too but that also still needs to be updated.

Mind you that we don't have testers so they need to be applied asap in public to see if they work and so issues can be fixed as soon as possible.

Edited by Iran, 14 January 2014 - 10:19 AM.

#64 Iran

Iran

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:54 AM

The update FunkyFr3sh just did installs Wine dddraw which also breaks TS very badly on Windows 8. It also doesn't add the Build off Ally game option to the game room when hosting.

Edited by Iran, 14 January 2014 - 10:56 AM.

#65 zMarsHz

zMarsHz

Colonel

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5788 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:20 PM

@ olaf, so then purpose to EA that the game is in a miserable spiral of downfall, make it f2p with adds on ladders ect

you're telling me you have no say what-so-ever in this server that you have ran for 10+ years? if that's the case, you got shafted imo

EA didn't run xwis when it came out and it functioned with a ladder ect, so why must you play to the tune 100% to EA now?

TS doesn't have 100,000 Chinese players who are unable to buy a serial due to govt issue, ra2 does. - there is your difference maker.

#66 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • 13498 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:00 PM

@ olaf, so then purpose to EA that the game is in a miserable spiral of downfall, make it f2p with adds on ladders ect

Why don't you do some work and talk to EA? Telling others to do all the work over and over again is so easy.

you're telling me you have no say what-so-ever in this server that you have ran for 10+ years? if that's the case, you got shafted imo
 EA didn't run xwis when it came out and it functioned with a ladder ect, so why must you play to the tune 100% to EA now?

XWIS required valid serials back then and it wasn't the official server.

BTW, we've had this discussion before...
Oh, and this topic is NOT about XWIS & F2P etc.

#67 BornL33T

BornL33T

Drug Baron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1321 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:54 PM

GenTool

This is an excellent example of an anticheat client made for C&C Zero Hour, it detects any unit-map hack and make a gamereplay with stats after every game , it can even show the cheater in real time when playing.

Made principally to be used with LAN type clients like GArena/GmaeRanger etc..so it benefits of their stability, it allow a simple 1v1/ clan ladders and minimise the admins work.

I think this is the future of oldies games clients.

#68 zMarsHz

zMarsHz

Colonel

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5788 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:59 PM

okay olaf......lol

thanks, you seem a little upset however ;)

btw you have the pull with EA, so how about throwing me a bone and give me the number of who I would need to contact directly, and not just the 1-800-callcenter number would be nice.

Edited by marsh1, 14 January 2014 - 04:01 PM.

#69 Shauny

Shauny

EF Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8667 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:28 PM

This game has never caught my attention, or appealed to me, but I do love to read this topic and see what's going, quiet amazing really, I'm sure a lot of ppl would switch , esp if Chinese players joined too

#70 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:55 PM

Umm... I was planning to include cncnet in my patch to add a additional server under the network option (F2P) along with xwis. 

#71 henky

henky

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • XWIS Name: henky

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:19 PM

Hmmmmm 

I dont see any problems with the maps at all. All maps are fine and i like it original. No need 2 fix / mod any official maps.

What needs to be done is :

Fixing map names:

Terraces = Terrace

Crater = Seismic

Tunnel-Train-Ing = Tunnel Training

Tactical = Tactical Opportunities

Hex-Treme = Hextreme

Remove none- Ts Maps from "Standarts

Hot Springs

Private msg

totally sucks 2 go into lobby and find the nick within 250 logins 2 doubleklick it to page private.

Why not just double click the name in Game channel too, 2 page privat?

Tabbing

As an old Irc veteran i ll never writhe nicks. I ll always writhe the first letter and press TAB.

When u do that in a game room it actually tabs nicks that are not in the game channel, but in the lobby. What for ? Point? i wanna tab the players i c in my game chan as i want to talk to them

Game-Channel-Options

I m beeing anoyed almost every game by "stupid" people who always take the same starting numbers. If some1 takes for example start number 1 ,......the number 1 should autom. disapear to all the players so noone can take the same starting point. Happens in 99 % of all games. Dunno why ppl are that stupid.....

Same goes for colours......

Map-Names in General

no1 really cares about the size of the maps. Whats important is how much players can play that map

so insteadt of " Terrace 116 x 109 " add "Terrace (2-4)

Nick Registration

Even so ts is so new on CNCnet, i saw already ppl using my nick "henky7777" twice.

I doubt any1 likes it when other players "steal/play with " your nick

Cant be that hard 2 add a registration ? ....it still can be optional...

thats about it.....

#72 D34DF45T

D34DF45T

Corporal

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:25 PM

why isnt everyone moving over?

xwis is an IE fest and all the rest of it..

and i agree with henks 'map names in general'

#73 Shauny

Shauny

EF Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8667 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:27 PM

Xwis is dying from what people have said. 

We want chinese players ;D

Edited by Shauny, 14 January 2014 - 07:27 PM.

#74 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • 13498 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:47 PM

btw you have the pull with EA, so how about throwing me a bone and give me the number of who I would need to contact directly, and not just the 1-800-callcenter number would be nice.

I don't have any phone numbers and the C&C studio was closed...

#75 henky

henky

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • XWIS Name: henky

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:48 PM

I don't have any phone numbers and the C&C studio was closed...

olaf please dont waste your own time responding to stupid things.

you did a good job with xwis and without your work ts would be dead when wol closed.

all of that is offtopic ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users