107 replies to this topic

#1 Punkernfg

Punkernfg

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:26 AM

Hey guys, I've started playin TS again as I found a server that works wonderfully. I could never get xwis to work with all the different versions/patches/trouble shooting. I downloaded the cnc5 server found on the facebook page for tiberian sun. Installed in a minute and was online playing right after without any errors or crashes. The server is packed with a lot of red alert players but only a few TS players. The only person I've recognized over there is Henky. Apprently they're setting up ladders and clans shortly as well. I'm impressed by how well the server works. That's where I'll be playing now if anyone wants to join me :). For all you players that could never get TS working, here's the link that worked for me.

http://cncnet.org/download

#2 Casablanca

Casablanca

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • XWIS Name: fgj

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:10 AM

just downloaded...seems odd lol

nobody playing tibsun on it...at all lol

#3 Casablanca

Casablanca

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:32 AM

K just played my first game of ra1 ever...fuck its garbage lol

#4 Punkernfg

Punkernfg

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:29 AM

i had no prob getting a game yesterday. However, the TS server is new, Red Alert was the first server, thats why it's so busy. It's only going to get more active for TS

#5 Casablanca

Casablanca

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:46 AM

i said "ill send $50 to whoever can beat me 1v1 on tib sun"

Then played a few 7 vs 1's without a loss...but as soon as I offered 50, like 20 people logged on ts haha

Every player on that server are...like...fucking god awful lol...no concept of attacking...or anything really lol

#6 ItsMeSeb

ItsMeSeb

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:16 PM

I gave it a try and am convinced it's the best possibility to play ts to date.

There are only two possible arguments against it.

The first one would be the lack of skill of the players, but honestly the gap isn't even that great to xwis nowadays. I've had some fun 2v1 games and most importantly these guys are interested in learning. I've not been called a cheater at all so far, instead they keep asking (in a nice way) how I did the things I did. They also try to copy what I do and try to use their own head to advance the strategies. (One time a guy tried to copy my infantry rush and sold his cy to get more money thinking he could overrun me, even though it's a dumb thing to do, he did try to copy my play and more imporantly improve on it to the extend of his knowlege. Impressive compared to any below average xwis-ts-player I've encountered in the last years)

The second point to make against it is no rating system whatsoever and no ladder. Yeah, this will probably be a breaking argument for a few and I could understand it, if the ladder was still used on xwis. No prizes? Ladder still valid. No Hall of fame? Ladder still valid. No real competition? Ladder still valid. Fine with me, but is the ladder on xwis anything other than noob bashing nowadays? And is achieving rank 1 in a month anything but a testament of how many games you played against noobs? Well it's up to you to decide if the ladder is worth it or not.

That being said I was overwhelmed by the pros of that server such as

basically no lag
instant transfer of mod maps
being able to play all maps (fs maps included) and chosing wether it's with ts or fs units
modifications to the actual game that can be turned on and off
a social system or at the very least a decent chat system

Let me do some explaining for these points to make myself clear

basicially no lag is literal. I've played this one guy who said he has a very bad computer and when he joined my game the cncnet bot said his connection is "very bad" (yes you're shown how good the opponents connection is once he joins) I kept him and played 1v1, the first 5 seconds of the game lagged to the point of a "fast xwis game" then the lag completely disappeared. No lag, no delay.

Instant transfer of mod maps. This is one of the biggest and best points for cncnet. Now you might wonder why a ww player even cares about this and rightly so. Let me explain: I've said for years that the official ts maps suck as they're not even and some are just complete crap. From the very beginning of ts people thought that way, that's how maps like bbg popped up to make the odds even. If it wasnt for the 1 minute data transfer restriction at the start of the game (and seemingly 1kb/s maximum) I'm sure there would be tons of awesome maps for ts nowadays. I myself tried to make new maps but people never used them. I cant blame anyone since the maps were too big to ever load online even though I tried to keep the filesize small. On cncnet the map transfer seems to happen before tiberian sun even boots up (at the max kb/s), therefore the filesize doesn't matter. I'm thinking of improving the maps I made back then and make them like real official ts maps. Awesome stuff for both ww and mod community!

Being able to play fs maps on the normal ts engine speaks for itself.

Modifications to the actual game that can be turned on/off. For years we've been told that the source code is a mystic thing only ea has and cannot be decrypted. Somehow cncnet are atheists to this belief and just edit the game in whatever way they wish. Everyone knows that having more production facilities doesnt improve the production speed in tiberian sun, well there's an option in cnc that you can turn on (and yes, you can turn it off aswell so don't be scared) to implement this function into ts. While I'm not interested in this specific option it shows it's possible to change ts' basics and opens a whole new world for changes.

A social system or at the very least a decent chat system. Well this one is really basic for now but already a huge improvement compared to any prior ts platform.

I wouldn't blame olaf or any other xwis staff for that matter to delete this post or the whole thread, but I wanted to let you guys know my opinion on this and that I'll use no other than cncnet to play ts anymore untill something better comes along.

by the way, it supports ra/yuri aswell but probably isnt worth it for that community. Points that come to mind is no QM function (as its a random 1v1 being put together as I understand it?) no ladder (as the yr/ra ladder seems to be valueable to this date) and probably more points contra aswell as pro that I wouldn't know about as I don't play ra/yr.

~Seb

Edited by ItsMeSeb, 08 January 2014 - 07:16 PM.

#7 jeffbeck

jeffbeck

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:32 PM

Sounds impressive and a lagless game is a major plus. I downloaded CNCNET 5 the other night but I have a problem with NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2. Might post on CNCNET for help and give it a go.

#8 MrFrodo

MrFrodo

TITAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:27 PM

no lag sounds great. I hope it is same for mod maps, since XWIS mod maps lag more than ww. Ima try it tonight

#9 ItsMeSeb

ItsMeSeb

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:44 PM

I spent another hour on cncnet today and feel like I should add a little bit:

NO CHEATS

Yes... theres an anti-cheat system.

and henky7777 told me that a ladder system is in the making.

also theres a watcher function!

you can pick your starting spot and teams (you ally instantly like clan games)

pure awesomeness.

Edited by ItsMeSeb, 08 January 2014 - 10:44 PM.

#10 Fjnecjgar

Fjnecjgar

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:46 PM

I gave it a try and am convinced it's the best possibility to play ts to date.

There are only two possible arguments against it.

The first one would be the lack of skill of the players, but honestly the gap isn't even that great to xwis nowadays. I've had some fun 2v1 games and most importantly these guys are interested in learning. I've not been called a cheater at all so far, instead they keep asking (in a nice way) how I did the things I did. They also try to copy what I do and try to use their own head to advance the strategies. (One time a guy tried to copy my infantry rush and sold his cy to get more money thinking he could overrun me, even though it's a dumb thing to do, he did try to copy my play and more imporantly improve on it to the extend of his knowlege. Impressive compared to any below average xwis-ts-player I've encountered in the last years)

The second point to make against it is no rating system whatsoever and no ladder. Yeah, this will probably be a breaking argument for a few and I could understand it, if the ladder was still used on xwis. No prizes? Ladder still valid. No Hall of fame? Ladder still valid. No real competition? Ladder still valid. Fine with me, but is the ladder on xwis anything other than noob bashing nowadays? And is achieving rank 1 in a month anything but a testament of how many games you played against noobs? Well it's up to you to decide if the ladder is worth it or not.

That being said I was overwhelmed by the pros of that server such as

basically no lag
instant transfer of mod maps
being able to play all maps (fs maps included) and chosing wether it's with ts or fs units
modifications to the actual game that can be turned on and off
a social system or at the very least a decent chat system

Let me do some explaining for these points to make myself clear

basicially no lag is literal. I've played this one guy who said he has a very bad computer and when he joined my game the cncnet bot said his connection is "very bad" (yes you're shown how good the opponents connection is once he joins) I kept him and played 1v1, the first 5 seconds of the game lagged to the point of a "fast xwis game" then the lag completely disappeared. No lag, no delay.

Instant transfer of mod maps. This is one of the biggest and best points for cncnet. Now you might wonder why a ww player even cares about this and rightly so. Let me explain: I've said for years that the official ts maps suck as they're not even and some are just complete crap. From the very beginning of ts people thought that way, that's how maps like bbg popped up to make the odds even. If it wasnt for the 1 minute data transfer restriction at the start of the game (and seemingly 1kb/s maximum) I'm sure there would be tons of awesome maps for ts nowadays. I myself tried to make new maps but people never used them. I cant blame anyone since the maps were too big to ever load online even though I tried to keep the filesize small. On cncnet the map transfer seems to happen before tiberian sun even boots up (at the max kb/s), therefore the filesize doesn't matter. I'm thinking of improving the maps I made back then and make them like real official ts maps. Awesome stuff for both ww and mod community!

Being able to play fs maps on the normal ts engine speaks for itself.

Modifications to the actual game that can be turned on/off. For years we've been told that the source code is a mystic thing only ea has and cannot be decrypted. Somehow cncnet are atheists to this belief and just edit the game in whatever way they wish. Everyone knows that having more production facilities doesnt improve the production speed in tiberian sun, well there's an option in cnc that you can turn on (and yes, you can turn it off aswell so don't be scared) to implement this function into ts. While I'm not interested in this specific option it shows it's possible to change ts' basics and opens a whole new world for changes.

A social system or at the very least a decent chat system. Well this one is really basic for now but already a huge improvement compared to any prior ts platform.

I wouldn't blame olaf or any other xwis staff for that matter to delete this post or the whole thread, but I wanted to let you guys know my opinion on this and that I'll use no other than cncnet to play ts anymore untill something better comes along.

by the way, it supports ra/yuri aswell but probably isnt worth it for that community. Points that come to mind is no QM function (as its a random 1v1 being put together as I understand it?) no ladder (as the yr/ra ladder seems to be valueable to this date) and probably more points contra aswell as pro that I wouldn't know about as I don't play ra/yr.

~Seb

Testify my brother!

#11 Punkernfg

Punkernfg

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:42 AM

TS is becoming more and more active on cncnet5 now. Since I posted this topic, I've seen the community double. Ladder and clans should be up and running within the first quarter of 2014

#12 Casablanca

Casablanca

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:35 AM

Its good if you have patience...but someone like myself...only thing I can do on that server to give me a bit of a challenge are like 1 vs 7'sbecause they players are fucking horrible...yet still above finecigars skill level.

Seb just showed me age of empires...thousands playing that game...lets all move there? haha

#13 Iran

Iran

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:22 AM

I can understand Strike-Team's position towards TS when you have people like Casablanca. Or is he some kind of anti-TS troll?

Edited by Iran, 09 January 2014 - 08:23 AM.

#14 Aro

Aro

Alcohol Fueled

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • XWIS Name: iNsuRRecT

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:46 AM

Don't take too much notice, Iran. The problem with the Strike-Team community is that the players who consider themselves to be decent at the game think they are above everybody else, though to be fair, this isn't the case all the time, there are some nice genuine players around.

Edited by Aro, 09 January 2014 - 10:47 AM.

#15 D34DF45T

D34DF45T

Corporal

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:51 PM

im playin this seems good every1 should move over

#16 Casablanca

Casablanca

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:16 PM

I love TS...its by far the best game ive ever played. Having said that, I have played it for around 13 years, I have gone from complete shit to pro, but I just do not have the patience to play games with players who are just so far from even comprehending the basics of the game, oh those who have played it for 10+ years and yet are still fucking horrible (many xwis modders).

This isnt a hatred towards anybody...I just have 0 patience...whether its with TS, or in my personal life, its just who i am lol.

#17 D34DF45T

D34DF45T

Corporal

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:35 PM

is cnc5net a rival to xwis?

#18 Casablanca

Casablanca

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:51 PM

not yet...

Once ladder is up then yes.

Cheats do not work on this server...that alone is enough for most to switch over eventually

#19 D34DF45T

D34DF45T

Corporal

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:02 PM

been playin it today. no faults at all. and theres a programmer type guy fixing all the bugs and making it better lol

#20 F0odLi0n

F0odLi0n

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:29 PM

So this download, is it the game itself or just a server? If it is the game, is it compatible with Windows 8.1, or will I have to download other things in order to play like normal TS?

#21 Casablanca

Casablanca

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:16 AM

its a server...but automatically loads the game too...its weird

#22 MrFrodo

MrFrodo

TITAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:59 AM

Its so confusing the server quality was good. But it was a 1v1 so doesnt really prove anything. but cncnet ftw! and there forums suck, so confusing! Bring a new layout ffs

So this download, is it the game itself or just a server? If it is the game, is it compatible with Windows 8.1, or will I have to download other things in order to play like normal TS?

It does work on CNCNET5

#23 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:36 AM

been playin it today. no faults at all. and theres a programmer type guy fixing all the bugs and making it better lol

Yeah, you've all managed to impress one of the guys who's working on it...

I can understand Strike-Team's position towards TS when you have people like Casablanca. Or is he some kind of anti-TS troll?

#24 hifi

hifi

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:00 AM

is cnc5net a rival to xwis?

As the head mofo of the CnCNet project I think some friendly clarification is in place.

XWIS is a Westwood Online service, it provides some but apparently not all (like WDT?) WOL services to all supported games that WOL originally had. As a WOL server, XWIS has some limitations but also some bonuses like having the ability to actually use the ban hammer with RA2/YR because they have the master key database. The official WOL DNS names have been forwarded to XWIS by EA so the games do work out-of-box online.

CnCNet 5 is integrated with the games from ground up, it doesn't use the LAN lobby nor WOL lobby, it preconfigures the games externally and launches them directly in-game. This has benefits of allowing almost unlimited customization of game types, modes, starting points, alliances, etc. to games like you've already seen. We can and will implement QM for every game, we will implement a global ladder that works for every game. We can implement anything that can be done pre-game. We fixed P2P port forwarding issues with a distributed tunneling system (could be hacked to work with WOL too btw.) because it was a big issue for a lot of players on both XWIS and CnCNet. There's much more and people have already pointed them out. I doubt XWIS wouldn't want to implement any of these, it's just so much harder because WOL is what it is.

However, there are also downsides to all this. Mostly it's harder to moderate as we're a very open network and don't require any authentication (on purpose). We require game modifications so currently we need to ship modified game executables for all supported games.

So yes, in a way CnCNet rivals XWIS, but we're not "just another WOL clone".

If people want to switch to either side, it's up to them.

#25 Punkernfg

Punkernfg

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:24 AM

how long until clans/ladders?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users