19 replies to this topic

#1 SensFaiL

SensFaiL

Allies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9413 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:59 PM

Hey guys most of you know I just started playing again and I couldn't help but notice just how rediculous the amount of maps that are in the map pool for qm. It's hard to learn them all ect ect.. My idea would be to consolidate that list each month to say 10-15 maps that rotate in the map pool each month. So one month there is 10-15 maps that are able to be in the qm map pool, and then the next month the map pool can change. Maybe even make it community involved where we all pick which 10 or so we want in the pool each month.

I understand those of you who have been playing qm over and over since the new QM you know all the new maps but if you take a step back and actually look at the amount of maps in the pool it's kind of crazy. Just my 2 cents let me know how you guys think.

#2 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:15 AM

There was a recent poll with an option to that effect: http://xwis.net/forums/index.php/topic/179251-changes-to-ra2-map-list-november-2013/

#3 dsector

dsector

Captain

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3696 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:43 AM

You've been playing for 1-2 weeks only. Give it a month or two and you'll see that you'll know all maps. I don't play much but I still know all the maps (with a couple exceptions when I don't recognize the map at startup).

#4 SensFaiL

SensFaiL

Allies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9413 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:24 AM

It's not the fact that I will learn them after a while, thats a given. It's the point that there is just way to many maps. It just makes qm very dry in my opinion instead of every month you see a new set of maps which make it more fun. Theres a reason why blizzard has a small map pool and changes most of the maps up after every season. Ours would just be every month. It allows for players to get really good on the current maps and could also possibly make for higher skilled games because people are playing a given map more often then they would previously.

#5 ALiTheGreatest

ALiTheGreatest

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:49 AM

It's not the fact that I will learn them after a while, thats a given. It's the point that there is just way to many maps. It just makes qm very dry in my opinion instead of every month you see a new set of maps which make it more fun. Theres a reason why blizzard has a small map pool and changes most of the maps up after every season. Ours would just be every month. It allows for players to get really good on the current maps and could also possibly make for higher skilled games because people are playing a given map more often then they would previously.

I like the idea more then any other qm revision suggested in the other topic, but I am still for leaving it as is. My suggestion is to play the maps with techs in them in tourny's a few times( most have only 1) and the rest are seriously very simple once you get the idea. They were all custom made to support pretty much the best bo, so if you are good with eco and bo they should come very easy to you. Again though your idea sounds nice, i would like to see it happen for a month or two

#6 SoVsOrDiE

SoVsOrDiE

Music is my religion!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3666 posts
  • XWIS Name: SoVsOrDiE

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:19 PM

Seth your idea is actually pretty refreshing, I like it. When I started playing again at end of August I felt like was so overwhelmed with the maps that I had 0% chance vs anyone decent. I still feel sort of the same but can now recognise most of the maps in qm thankfully, except with the odd exception, so Max is right, you'll be fine!

#7 Shauny

Shauny

EF Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8667 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:00 PM

seth i played some qm the other day and i still hardly know any of the maps lol only really know the 2 v 2 maps we play in cm. like jungle,viet,polter,toe and a few others like caverns and that haha. 

#8 SensFaiL

SensFaiL

Allies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9413 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:15 PM

I think you guys are dwelling on to much of the start of my post about my problems and not actually looking at this as a genuine suggestion. Even if I knew all the maps I still would rather have a smaller map pool. It doesn't make QM more fun to have a million maps. In my eyes something where we would have a topic every month to choose next months maps would bring more excitement for the coming month. It also makes players who aren't as good have a say in which maps they want for the coming month. This way we can also balance the maps in a easier way for faction balance between sovs and allies more easily by which maps are in the map pool each month. When it boils down to it the top tier players when they get to a point are just gonna tourney against eachother on a small set of maps anyway and probably won't even use QM to accomplish that goal. By having a smaller map pool people can now prepare for an opponent who they are gonna do a best of 5 with better because now they know generally the maps that they will most likely be playing versus them in QM.

#9 dsector

dsector

Captain

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3696 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:05 PM

I don't know about others, but when I get matched in the same map twice out of ten games, it annoys me :p (even if it's a good map). "Oh this map again? I just played this!". This month, out of 100 QM games that I played, I got matched 10 times in Snow Valley (which is a good map by the way). You know how much I dislike Snow Valley now? :D

In Starcraft 2 it's different since the map doesn't make as much of a difference as it does in RA2 (no oil derricks, no "gems" at start, a lot easier to "stretch" than in RA2, usually one or two chokepoints to your base). Maps in SC are more similar to one another and harder to recognize at startup that's why they only put a handful of maps at once. If you had 100 maps in SC2, almost no one would be able to recognize them at startup which would take away from the skill portion of the game.

In RA2, since the terrains, lighting and ground texture are so different, you can easily recognize any map right from the start. 

This is just my opinion. Nothing wrong with your idea at all.

Edited by dsector, 17 November 2013 - 03:06 PM.

#10 SensFaiL

SensFaiL

Allies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9413 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:46 PM

uhh the maps dictate a lot how the games are played in sc2 lol, and also it tells you before the games what map your playing on sc2. So ya theres that....

#11 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:05 PM

I've always liked the idea of rotating a monthly pool of new maps but there's no agreement on either the number or the maps

#12 Bigfatrat

Bigfatrat

Lieutenant

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:38 PM

I like the map pool Idea of rotation. 

Soverign Land. Horrible map for QM. I got top right while my opponent,(had no autoss btw) got the bottom middle with both derriks easily defended. Automatic surrender.

#13 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:19 PM

He moved his mcv, there is no bottom middle soawn

#14 Shauny

Shauny

EF Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8667 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:47 PM

lol owned

#15 hardman

hardman

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10521 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:06 AM

lol

#16 Bigfatrat

Bigfatrat

Lieutenant

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:38 PM

Hehehe, well, nothing to say except, 

"OWNED!"    

:weightlift:

#17 PiNeRs

PiNeRs

2v2er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • XWIS Name: djaningar

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:09 AM

DC uprising should not be there....is this even debatable ?

#18 Pompski

Pompski

Emilio's Owner

• Strike Team
  • 19855 posts
  • XWIS Name: Pomp

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:34 PM

I don't see it :unsure:

#19 zzattack

zzattack

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5357 posts
  • XWIS Name: zzattack

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

A rotating map pool seems like a good idea to me. Also, I can sympathize with those feeling the pool is too large. 

#20 hardman

hardman

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • 10521 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:06 PM

I would also vote for a rotating map pool. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users