Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:21 PM

Hey Guys, I decided to try making a new map- here's the first draft 

"Thin Ice" 

1 tech derrick each, I intended that Left would capture T

Please take a look :)

Thin Ice.jpg

Lukke here it is with some buildings:

Thin Ice w buildings.jpg

Edited by rumblesom, 04 October 2013 - 02:32 AM.

#2 ZiGZaG

ZiGZaG

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5085 posts
  • XWIS Name: Freedom

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:48 PM

Intresting layout some nice choke points, cliffs to make things intresting via splits/hieght advantage and a wide open area for some nice tank battles, looks good Josh, puts me in mind of gsf, but i think the cliff's and choke points will make allies easier to use here than gsf.

#3 SoVsOrDiE

SoVsOrDiE

Music is my religion!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3666 posts
  • XWIS Name: SoVsOrDiE

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:54 PM

Looks really cool Josh!

#4 lukke

lukke

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1212 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:33 PM

When can we try this? We havent played for ages. Oh and i would like to see some Buildings on the map, really nice though.

#5 Rocker219

Rocker219

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:19 AM

can you make the map bigger?

I like it, ide like to see it bigger though.. more of everything...

Edited by Rocker219, 04 October 2013 - 12:19 AM.

#6 DrVanNostrand

DrVanNostrand

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5114 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:26 AM

mm looks quite nice. Seems  if there are 2 equel skilled players it will build up to fighting for middle gold, but there is no gold in the middle ?????????

edit: oh the starting place is not at the oils.

But it seems at least soviet vs soviet Left has pretty big advantage since it can build near the bridge from oil way easier and block with 1 sentry + desos, so Left doesnt have to worry about that entrance.

Tbh i dont see any way for Right side to pressure in this map.

Edited by DrVanNostrand, 04 October 2013 - 01:00 AM.

#7 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:27 AM

Hey marko I'm not sure I understand... Left spawn takes T oil. And then blocks which entrance?

#8 DrVanNostrand

DrVanNostrand

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5114 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:33 AM

the bridge at top

I mean lets say Left position builds first warfactory in his original base and goes straight tanks and waypoints tanks to bottom oil.  (Right position will be on defensive and cant do anything about it)

If right position builds warfactory in his original base he will lose for sure, if he builds warfactory near oil, he will have a chance, but will still just defend and the left pos can just shoot his other gem patch with tanks if he wants to.

Edited by DrVanNostrand, 04 October 2013 - 01:44 AM.

#9 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:39 AM

it seems like if both players were to place a warf in their original base, then they would be at an equal distance from their opponent's oil. 

The image I had posted was from an earlier draft- please take a look at the one I just put up, but I think nothing has change with respect to that strategy.

#10 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:21 AM

it seems like if both players were to place a warf in their original base, then they would be at an equal distance from their opponent's oil. 

The image I had posted was from an earlier draft- please take a look at the one I just put up, but I think nothing has change with respect to that strategy.

mirror the gem patches. Right side's miners are more vulnerable at the bottom middle gem patch.

#11 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:44 AM

Ok Mason- how's this ?

Thin Ice mirror.jpg

#12 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:56 AM

Ok Mason- how's this ?

attachicon.gifThin Ice mirror.jpg

its good, if you wanted to have a more mirrored map you'd have to shift some of the gold patches. Right now the Bottom mid gems are more vulnerable than top mid, but top derrick has harder time to stretch to gold so its ~even

actually i think shifting tops ice floe bridge down  a few cells would be good

#13 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:57 AM

also, in terms of aesthetics, trees need to be added to BL edges and SOMETHING should be added to center

#14 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:05 AM

I have both versions of the map- i'd like to test which one produces the more interesting games.

Original                                                                  Mirror

Thin Ice.jpg                          Thin Ice mirror.jpg

Edited by rumblesom, 04 October 2013 - 07:06 PM.

#15 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:07 AM

jury's out on when this post reads "edited by tbiol at..." ;)

I have both versions of the map- i'd like to test which one produces the more interesting games.

clarify?

#16 DrVanNostrand

DrVanNostrand

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5114 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:26 PM

if its mirrored i think its very interesting map. Good work!

#17 dsector

dsector

Captain

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3696 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:41 PM

Looks interesting but I think most games would end in a base trade since your opponent is closer to your main base than you'll be.

EDIT: well, not necessarily closer, but you'll have to be in two places at once. I assume lots of players will just go to your main base and you won't have time to react and defend it in time.

Edited by dsector, 06 October 2013 - 11:57 PM.

#18 Rocker219

Rocker219

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:55 AM

make it bigger!

#19 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:48 PM

make it bigger!

making it bigger wouldnt hurt anything but i think it definitely shouldnt be any smaller

#20 PiNeRs

PiNeRs

2v2er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • XWIS Name: djaningar

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:10 AM

Interesting map, as always josh comes through.  BUT!  Left side looks significantly better to me, especially for AvS

#21 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:09 AM

Hey thanks for the kind words guys-

@ piners: why do u prefer L?
(I know they are not identical) but r side has some key features as well

#22 Drasten

Drasten

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:01 PM

Its easier for left side to expand to all the three gem patches then for the right side. Also its easier for the left side to shut down the top choke-point by sentrys/desos or whatever. Also the left side has easier control over its cliff beacuse of "entrance to cliff" placements.

#23 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

Hmm disagree with the build options entirely, it is in fact much easier from br

Additionally it's easier to choke off the entrance to tr because the access point is so narrow.

While the cliff face of br is closer to the neighbouring structures (rendering them more vulnerable to para/attack from above), they may be built onto and thereby made impassable to the opponent.

The true advantage of tl oil is the proximity to tr, it is some cells closer, meaning an attack can be executed more quickly in a (no pun intended) split second decision.

The disparity in cliff entrances relates to their proximity to structures, and the distance units may fire upward off a cliff, as opposed to downward

Edited by rumblesom, 10 October 2013 - 02:12 PM.

#24 PiNeRs

PiNeRs

2v2er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • XWIS Name: djaningar

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:46 PM

1. Right sides 3rd gem patch is an extremely vulnerable position. 

2. adding to this ofc is their cliff placement in relation to where they are buliding their structures. (the cliff entrance should be flipped)

This gives left side the option (they dont have to) to go on the offensive right away and get map control.  Right side does not posess this threat at all.

3. On this note, this automatically makes left sides oil far more protected. (also because the entrance to their side of the map is NOT straight onto gems.) THis gives them another huge option: they can place their warfac both at their base or at their expansion. whereas right side has to put it at their expansion to defend their intrinsic weaknesses.

4.  Left has the optiion to move their conyard and control rights 3rd gem patch, whereas right side (if u you how long away the conyard movement would have to be and how vulnerable it would be to attak from left sides cliff) does NOT have this option whatsoever. (REALLY bad for allies in this case)

5. Because lefts thin icees is closer to where they are producing tanks, they have a much bigger threat in going in a sniping the conyard and all the miners than does the right side. (ride side has this threat, but its not as potent and will much likely run into defenses)

6. right (being top as well) is more vulnerable to paras because it spanws at top of map)

7. Rights ore refs for 2 out of 3 of their gold patches will have miners having to go the long way to dump ore in the other direction. Left side will have appropriatelly placed ore refs on all 3 gold patches.

8. Right does not have a chance to use lefts cliff against them. because, the distance they will have to travel to get their is too great. Whereas left can easily use rights cliff against them. This is a HUGE issue in the middle game where the approative amount of tanks on the field are there to abuse such a cliff. (this is when allies are vulnerable to attack) yet again, huge issue for allies in tihs case

#25 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:09 PM

Man piners I feel
Like we are talking about different maps..

Are you discussing the mirrored version?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users