#27 xact

xact

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:01 PM

great provider :p

if any future attacks happen again, maybe its time to track the guy doing it and giving him what he deserves, he probably doesnt know its a crime and most likely isnt over 18 :(

anyways, nice to see xwis back!

omg.. you have so much experience in ddos.... :no:

#28 BlueBala

BlueBala

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12219 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:09 PM

omg.. you have so much experience in ddos.... :no:

How is that a bad thing?

#29 aCnChaOz

aCnChaOz

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:02 AM

ja merci dir olaf, wenn ich wieder mal in amsterdam bin könnten wir uns treffen, kriegst dann ein hanfkeks (geht aufs haus natürlich ;-) ) :D

#30 Mikoz

Mikoz

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7094 posts
  • XWIS Name: Palacio

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:05 PM

Damnn i dont hope this was the final k.o for this game, yesterday i went on with ZERO pts and coudnt get any single qm or cm in 20-30 minutes time...

#31 ImNewButOld

ImNewButOld

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

Activity dropped :(

#32 ZiGZaG

ZiGZaG

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5085 posts
  • XWIS Name: Freedom

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:00 PM

Damnn i dont hope this was the final k.o for this game, yesterday i went on with ZERO pts and coudnt get any single qm or cm in 20-30 minutes time...

yer its slow and dropped quite a bit, hopefully it'll pick back up but imo the game needs a boost like a prize invasion/double points weekend/competition of some sort to try and boost activity again.

#33 aCnChaOz

aCnChaOz

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:44 PM

maybe u guys play wrong time, i did this ss right now :). thats a lot activity :D

Attached Files

Edited by aCnChaOz, 06 July 2013 - 06:45 PM.

#34 zMarsHz

zMarsHz

Colonel

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5788 posts
  • XWIS Name: voZ

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:51 PM

maybe u guys play wrong time, i did this ss right now :). thats a lot activity :D

looks like a bunch of kids crying whose better in the lobby, not players actually competing for a rank o_0

#35 lmworried

lmworried

Korean Warlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:25 AM

Great work!
Forget the haters!

#36 xact

xact

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:39 AM

How is that a bad thing?

its a bot network

#37 OlafxD

OlafxD

Mr. Rank 1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8529 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:46 PM

That's not as easy as it sounds

Thanks for the input, didnt know...

#38 Umagon

Umagon

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:58 PM

Nevermind I just meant to keep it simple not really write a book!

Edited by xion, 17 July 2013 - 11:15 PM.

#39 ImNewButOld

ImNewButOld

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:19 PM

Xwis moved from hetzner to ovh with a hardware firewall.

#40 Umagon

Umagon

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:33 PM

Edited by xion, 17 July 2013 - 11:02 PM.

#41 ImNewButOld

ImNewButOld

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:46 PM

None provider will apply custom rules in its core router/switch for a single dedicated server. The iptables rules you mentioned are on the dedicated server itself. A hardware firewall can hold stronger attacks and without stressing the dedicated server (like you do with iptables). Iptables rules are ok to stop simple attacks, use them too and works like a charm but its not that good as a hardware firewall.

#42 Umagon

Umagon

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:02 PM

The best place for custom IPtable restrictions are in the configs of the hardware firewall, this is by far the best method. Yes it can be done from the server itself but why as when the attacks are blocked at the gateway and the traffic never gets forwarded to the server in the first place and the ports of the box would be unreachable. The servers Olaf runs would no longer be easily targeted by those botnets as the gateway would require require all connections to fall within a strict rule set. The attacks are simply blocked and the hostile connections are no longer responded too.  Anything much more than simple methods such as iptable will affect how olafs servers work and how things will function. This is why providers will not enter configs for a single person on a shared port your correct. There are many providers that do offer custom packages where they offer hardware firewall upgrades that get placed before the dedicated box and run off of a dedicated internet port. I used to work with them so I know this for a fact. It was a hefty price for the provider to insert modifications into the hardware firewall after which I got fed up with the costs and moved away to lines from 2 separate isp's. Started running everything myself. I hated that I didn't have true control  of everything. Everything has gotten far less costly, its almost better to run things from location. However I doubt Olaf would spend his life savings for c&c as I know I wouldn't.  

#43 Tiny

Tiny

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:58 PM

OVH are just as bad there DDoS protection is Shit. Best DDoS protection I have seen is with LSN www.limestonenetworks.com they are brilliant all the Top 3 Renegade communitys host with them and are never taken offline. Rencorner Jelly-Server and Multiplayerforums

#44 zzattack

zzattack

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5357 posts
  • XWIS Name: zzattack

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:03 PM

iirc EA pays for the servers so i doubt it's really up to olaf where the server is hosted precisely

#45 Tiny

Tiny

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:16 AM

Xion It depends what Hardware firewall he is using and what OS he is using you cant just makeup IPHash tables off top off your head it would take some time 2 set them up as I have a lot of experience in dealing with DDoS issues as I have protected Sevral communitys over the years from DDoS protection I now do it for Rencorner a C&C Renegade Community we use LSN www.limestonenetworks.com and there ddos protection is awesome I have scripts and other forms of protections for our servers so if XWIS needs setting up properly I would do it as I play on XWIS a hell of a lot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users